Previewing records in the thrifts

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    true -- but you do come across some private press raers at thrifts -- and there are obvious ones you will pick up based on sight alone -- but yeah -- i mean -- of course people are going to pick up a mingering mike sleeve collection. that is just too classic and obvious to pass up for folks who are in the game.

but less obvious things, like weird xian records, haitian groups from the 70s that could be awesome or really bad, a power pop record from the late 70s that could be kbd collector scum material or might just be some terrible elvis costello rip off-- yet not collectible enough to be 'aor', how about going through lots of 12"s you've never seen--but could be hot boogie , random rap, rare italo, or just too terrible with no bite in any of those fields to pick up --

i take a lot of chances on things without having to pull out the portable at the thrifts--and i never pull out the portable at flea markets (why--because way too much time taken into such things, especially if you have most of the flea left to lurk through--no point in that)

but sometimes it is real helpful to have them handy.

i never understood this -- i think there is a strutter here who bragged a month or two ago about having a bunch of portables--yet they never ever take them out for fear of looking corny.

why even have them then? i mean they are cool and all-- but what is the practical use for them? just to have as museum like fodder for your pad? i say no go.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If I played every record before purchasing and only bought what I liked I'd buy about 15 records a year and wouldn't know one tenth of what I know about records/music. As Jonny already said, the guys who are out there discovering the next big record that everyone here is gonna grip on isn't bitching that Goodwill is bleeding them by not allowing big bird through the door.

WOW. I GUESS YOU GUYS WON THEN. WHAT WAS THE PRIZE?

I saw a guy find the next big thing at ARC. It was three figures and there was a portable involved.

Sorry, I find the Ten Digging Commandments pretty funny. Is this tied into the crate-digger lifestyle?

All I'm saying that there are people who are good at finding records and there are people who aren't. If you want to move beyond Pablo jazz appreciation you need to be willing to take some chances and buy some junk. It's not that big a deal.

not allowing big bird through the door.

oh shit.

• If I played every record before purchasing and only bought what I liked I'd buy about 15 records a year and wouldn't know one tenth of what I know about records/music. As Jonny already said, the guys who are out there discovering the next big record that everyone here is gonna grip on isn't bitching that Goodwill is bleeding them by not allowing big bird through the door.

WOW. I GUESS YOU GUYS WON THEN. WHAT WAS THE PRIZE?

I saw a guy find the next big thing at ARC. It was three figures and there was a portable involved.

Sorry, I find the Ten Digging Commandments pretty funny. Is this tied into the crate-digger lifestyle?

All I'm saying that there are people who are good at finding records and there are people who aren't. If you want to move beyond Pablo jazz appreciation you need to be willing to take some chances and buy some junk. It's not that big a deal.

Word.

I'm not anti-portable.

I'm anti-gripp.

I am the gripp task force.

I used to bring my portable on every road trip, and never pull it out. It would knock around in my trunk all damn day. Finally I stopped bringing it. I do occasionally go "shit, I left the portable back in New York" but it's rare.

• All I'm saying that there are people who are good at finding records and there are people who aren't.

Lord is this true. I really suck at finding good records. The few I took chances on at ARC really stink. lol. I don't own a portable. I'll stick to my lists and tastemakers and spend my free-time enjoying the finer things in life, like television and marijuana.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    and i never pull out the portable at flea markets (why--because way too much time taken into such things, especially if you have most of the flea left to lurk through--no point in that)

Cosign. I learned this one the hard way. Never risk getting scooped on records just cause you wanna save yourself a few bucks.

I could care less whether people want to preview $1 records, $10, or $100+ records. But it's definitely true that previewing can cause you to leave heat if it doesn't sound like your cup-o-tea. How many times have yall come home with a stack of privates, heard something that sounded terdish, then checked popsike only to find out that it is heavily gripped. Taking chances is THA GAME.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

I could care less whether people want to preview $1 records, $10, or $100+ records. But it's definitely true that previewing can cause you to leave heat if it doesn't sound like your cup-o-tea. How many times have yall come home with a stack of privates, heard something that sounded terdish, then checked popsike only to find out that it is heavily gripped. Taking chances is THA GAME.

This is true. The most expensive record I've ever sold I wouldnt've bought had I listened to it first.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

All I'm saying that there are people who are good at finding records and there are people who aren't.

Lord is this true. I really suck at finding good records. The few I took chances on at ARC really stink. lol. I don't own a portable. I'll stick to my lists and tastemakers and spend my free-time enjoying the finer things in life, like television and marijuana.

Your record-digging skillz are on Cherokee Parks levelz.

• All I'm saying that there are people who are good at finding records and there are people who aren't.

Cat had the ill hair though and you know that dude smoked trees.

Sorry for the aside, but you really brought me back to the dark times: Mavs drafted C Parks and Loren Meyere w/ their two first round picks one year.

To bring it back on track: that dude djcoolhands is the best record finder I know. He's always showing me records I wouldn't have even thought to look at that contain face-melting fire!

when pulling out a bunch of records at a thrift -- i will make three piles-- the "definites" (like ones that i know are good and i don't even have to sample), the maybes, and the -- "eh, not needed/sucks" pile (usually made after listening to them).

i usually end up taking more of the maybes than i should. i find that a lot of times-- these "maybes" (comprised of obscure stuff that looks semi interesting and purchased for the sole purpose a lot of times to do research on) are worthless garbage boring 12"s or something that just flat out sucks/no one wants. i've probably taken too many chances as well on some classical crap.

but at the same time -- occasionally the "maybes" are the ones that have some big winner-- like even if it sucks in my opinion, i may find out later that it is a big record and that makes it worth it.

sometimes i'll go as far as to write down the record info of some things that i thought sucked that i put back to do research on--and i go home and plug in the info to google -- and find out it was worthless anyhow.

it is all about trying to dig smart. and the portable helps me wayyy more than it hurts me.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I usually only find one record at the Goodwill. I use my portable, not to determine whether or not the record is worth $1.00, but whether or not I want to stand in line for nearly an hour while some burnt-beyond-belief-fresh-out-of-rehab individual "with obstacles to employment" tries to operate the register.

• burnt-beyond-belief-fresh-out-of-rehab individual "with obstacles to employment" tries to operate the register.

you are so compassionate.

• I usually only find one record at the Goodwill. I use my portable, not to determine whether or not the record is worth $1.00, but whether or not I want to stand in line for nearly an hour while some burnt-beyond-belief-fresh-out-of-rehab individual "with obstacles to employment" tries to operate the register.

There have been many times where I wished I had a portable with me for this reason.

To bring it back on track: that dude djcoolhands is the best record finder I know. He's always showing me records I wouldn't have even thought to look at that contain face-melting fire!

Not to speak for D*v* or anything, but I will bet you he goes through millions of shitty records to find what he finds. I'm honestly not trying to be some dick record nazi here, Brian... it just seems like everyone on these forums wants Acid Archives on a Rafferty budget and likes to bitch when there isn't a short-cut.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    A co-worker bought me a $25 Goodwill gift certificate for my birthday one year. It was supposed to be a joke, but I loved it. I finally hit a vein and picked up $18 records one day. The employees were completely taken back about what to do with my remaining $5 and change. They decided to give me another gift certificate for the amount. The woman who was filling out the new gift certificate was operating at about a 3rd grade literacy level. It was heartbreaking to watch her trudge through filling out the new form. Totally killed my buzz.

Anyways, I think the portable has a lot of utility; however, I do get annoyed with how a lot of these new school diggers carry they shit.

• i am of the belief that if you havent bought a million and one dollar bin turds, then you arent really a diggeur. i mean, part of the experience is finding out for yourself. which is why i never understood "lists".

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Sometimes I'll make a little makeshift stereo setup using components they're selling in the electronics dept, and preview records that way. I'll likely be called cheapskate, but it's not about the dough. Its about not bringing home piles of shitty records and cluttering up my dwelling space.

you're joking, right?

Please tell me that he is.

Whatever, dudes. I know who I'm putting my money on to survive the apocalypse.

• The best use I have made out of my portable is the several times I lost power and wanted to listen to music. When the end of days begins and all the power goes out I think I will drink myself silly and listen to records on the portable.

• It was heartbreaking to watch her trudge through filling out the new form.
    Good catch.

Totally killed my buzz.
    Oops, dropped the mask again.

• picnics

• If I played every record before purchasing and only bought what I liked I'd buy about 15 records a year and wouldn't know one tenth of what I know about records/music.

So, you're saying that a) more than 9/10 of your knowledge is of music you don't actually like and b) you have to buy a record and take it home to determine that it sucks; listening to it in the store somehow doesn't accomplish this?

• Yeah the thrifts around me have em for 50 cents to $1, but i was at Goodwill in Woodland, CA and they got all the records marked as $2 each and no bartering.[/b] Kinda a bummer. But oh well, just choose wisely because i dont own a portable tt.

I'm curious, what kind of items do you usually bring to Goodwill in hopes of bartering for their records?

Oops, I meant negotiating. Like this other spot in my area the more i buy the cheaper each one is. Wrong use of the vocab i guess? My bad.

i am of the belief that if you havent bought a million and one dollar bin turds, then you arent really a diggeur. i mean, part of the experience is finding out for yourself. which is why i never understood "lists".

There's some great lists out there, but yeah, someone's had to buy the million and one turds.

• So, you're saying that a) more than 9/10 of your knowledge is of music you don't actually like

what dont you understand about this? it makes perfect sense to me.

• i am of the belief that if you havent bought a million and one dollar bin turds, then you arent really a diggeur. i mean, part of the experience is finding out for yourself. which is why i never understood "lists".

There's some great lists out there, but yeah, someone's had to buy the million and one turds.

"HOW MANY CRATES DO YOU HAVE?" "15" "LESS THAN 200, SO: NOT ENOUGH"

"HOW MANY TURDS HAVE YOU BOUGHT?" "899,764" "LESS THAN A MILLION AND ONE: NOT ENOUGH"

Conversations that preclude one's realization that they aren't living the crate-digging lifestyle.......

• The best use I have made out of my portable is the several times I lost power and wanted to listen to music. When the end of days begins and all the power goes out I think I will drink myself silly and listen to records on the portable.

The only time I've ever used mine was in a hotel room after having bought some records while visiting another city.

If I played every record before purchasing and only bought what I liked I'd buy about 15 records a year and wouldn't know one tenth of what I know about records/music.

So, you're saying that a) more than 9/10 of your knowledge is of music you don't actually like and b) you have to buy a record and take it home to determine that it sucks; listening to it in the store somehow doesn't accomplish this?

I'm saying that I've bought a ton of records over the years and have become fairly picky about what I keep. You also have to keep in mind that over the last few years I've bought and sold thousands of records. Have an easier way of finding the one good record out of 100 or 500 or 1,000?

So, you're saying that a) more than 9/10 of your knowledge is of music you don't actually like

what dont you understand about this? it makes perfect sense to me.

i am of the belief that if you havent bought a million and one dollar bin turds, then you arent really a diggeur. i mean, part of the experience is finding out for yourself. which is why i never understood "lists".

i hate lists. i like hunting them out. but that doesn't mean you can't weed out the crap here and there. and i've bought turds-- tons of them. i mean-- you all see my weekend record finds-- but you don't see half of them (generally)-- those are the highlights. i'm not putting in a rare tom jones interview lp that i picked up in the weekly pictures though it may be a $ record, but it isn't what i care about--or what strutters (usually) care about. and i may pick up a bunch of classicals--but same thing. in other words-- that dakar you know and love as the cheapskate with the 10 cent to a dollar finds may have spent double the amount that weekend for records. but i always end up on top. the goal is to let my record habit pay for itself--and it more than has.