Previewing records in the thrifts

Comments

• i think they have a publication that comes out every month from the central office for goodwill management in washington d.c. that lists all the current record prices

can any of you government-connected cats supply us with a month-to-month tracking of Goodwill's appraisal of the Boscoe LP?

LOLOL at Kid Inquisitive!!

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Yeah the thrifts around me have em for 50 cents to $1, but i was at Goodwill in Woodland, CA and they got all the records marked as $2 each and no bartering.[/b] Kinda a bummer. But oh well, just choose wisely because i dont own a portable tt.

I'm curious, what kind of items do you usually bring to Goodwill in hopes of bartering for their records?

• The only problem i ever have with my portable in the thrift in people always thinking that i'm trying to buy it when i get up to the register.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This is sorta like those people who are already eating while in line at the grocery store.

What's wrong with this? It's hard to resist those string cheeses.

I would feel weird handing the dude my half munched cheese to scan, but that's just me.

btw i love using portables in thrifts, i'm not about to buy 58 semi interesting looking religious rock records. i got enough records as it is.

Here's the thing though, if there are actually 58 records that look intersting enough to buy I garantee you you'll easily make your money back and then some... unless you are a total knob... in which case maybe you should just step out of the way and let someone who knows something look at the records. I mean, if $1-2 a pop is high stakes you might need to consider a new "lifestyle".

BTW: not directing this at you Dave, just speaking in the abstract.

• btw i love using portables in thrifts, i'm not about to buy 58 semi interesting looking religious rock records. i got enough records as it is.

Here's the thing though, if there are actually 58 records that look intersting enough to buy I garantee you you'll easily make your money back and then some... unless you are a total knob... in which case maybe you should just step out of the way and let someone who knows something look at the records. I mean, if $1-2 a pop is high stakes you might need to consider "lifestyle".

Word. Even if you just trade them in at Half-Price, you've made your money back.

• I seriously can't believe people are griping about spending $1 on some crap. How did you learn about records in the first place? Is there no fun anymore in taking chances? You think you're gonna go out there and find Heitkotter or Blackout Sounds 70 without buying boxes, goddamn YARDS worth of bad records?? Does it have to be worth money or some shit for you to buy it? Get the fuck outta here. I can't believe that bullshit. Dudes spend $3.50 on records and then freak out when they suck and are not worth anything?? Throw them on the curb and keep it moving! What's wrong with you? I am surrounded with records ALL DAY and the ONLY FUN SHIT TO DO is to look through a bunch of crap I don't know priced at 50 cents a piece. How do you think new rarities get found? On ebay? Frickin' losers. If $5 is too much for you to lose get a better job or drink less beer. You should be ashamed of yourselves. The dude who is wanking around with his portable in the thrift store dollar stacks and freaking out is playing himself and disrespecting the legacy.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    btw i love using portables in thrifts, i'm not about to buy 58 semi interesting looking religious rock records. i got enough records as it is.

Here's the thing though, if there are actually 58 records that look intersting enough to buy I garantee you you'll easily make your money back and then some... unless you are a total knob... in which case maybe you should just step out of the way and let someone who knows something look at the records. I mean, if $1-2 a pop is high stakes you might need to consider a new "lifestyle".

yeah but even if you could turn those 58 records around and get your money back -- do you really want to deal with it? do you want those records occupying your space until you finally do get rid of them? and remember you are dropping between 60 - 120 bucks (if they are the dollar to 2 dollar range)-- what about even if you have enough dough to cover it, what if you like to limit your spending for a given week on things like records (i mean--while they seem necessary for our survival, you also like to have money in the bank just in case a accident or something comes up (like a date)?

i don't understand where people are coming from trying to make it seem "too cheap" -- just because you don't want to deal with all the time and money -- and research invested into taking in that many records at once.

in other words -- portables in thrifts for some == and no portables for others. who the heck cares?? just don't try and make others seem unreasonable for using them.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I seriously can't believe people are griping about spending $1 on some crap. How did you learn about records in the first place? Is there no fun anymore in taking chances? You think you're gonna go out there and find Heitkotter or Blackout Sounds 70 without buying boxes, goddamn YARDS worth of bad records?? Does it have to be worth money or some shit for you to buy it? Get the fuck outta here. I can't believe that bullshit. Dudes spend $3.50 on records and then freak out when they suck and are not worth anything?? Throw them on the curb and keep it moving! What's wrong with you? I am surrounded with records ALL DAY and the ONLY FUN SHIT TO DO is to look through a bunch of crap I don't know priced at 50 cents a piece. How do you think new rarities get found? On ebay? Frickin' losers. If $5 is too much for you to lose get a better job or drink less beer. You should be ashamed of yourselves. The dude who is wanking around with his portable in the thrift store dollar stacks and freaking out is playing himself and disrespecting the legacy.

well no need to get all huffy puffy about it... jeesh

• Ah, that felt good.

Seriously though you know?

I love it when some dude is in there with his portable, diligently jumping through tracks. I've usually covered half the store and pulled out 20 records by the time the dude is done.

• disrespecting the legacy.

IS THIS GRAEMLINABLE???

• yeah but even if you could turn those 58 records around and get your money back -- do you really want to deal with it? do you want those records occupying your space until you finally do get rid of them? and remember you are dropping between 60 - 120 bucks (if they are the dollar to 2 dollar range)-- what about even if you have enough dough to cover it, what if you like to limit your spending for a given week on things like records (i mean--while they seem necessary for our survival, you also like to have money in the bank just in case a accident or something comes up (like a date)?

i don't understand where people are coming from trying to make it seem "too cheap" -- just because you don't want to deal with all the time and money -- and research invested into taking in that many records at once.

in other words -- portables in thrifts for some == and no portables for others. who the heck cares?? just don't try and make others seem unreasonable for using them.

I don't sell records and I don't like buying crap. I don't usually take my portable to the thrift, but when I am out all day going to a bunch of thrifts it is nice to have so I can save myself from having to flip a bunch of $1 records at the local shop.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Ah, that felt good.

I love it when some dude is in there with his portable, diligently jumping through tracks. I've usually covered half the store and pulled out 20 records by the time the dude is done.

i've never done that -- it is always rummage quickly, yet thoroughly--then pull out what looks semi-interesting , put them in a stack to your side and then go out to your car and pull out the portable. come back in and sample them. put the crap back and take the goods to the counter and pay. that is how it is done.

Ah, that felt good.

Just last week I was playing every Mountain record at the local half price books in search of the BRAK. Wonder what I missed out on that day. Surely there's a Rockadelic finds post somewhere that can fill me in.

Regardless I'm still eating string cheese in Tom Thumb. And not half a string cheese. Who does that? That'd just be weird.

• I seriously can't believe people are griping about spending $1 on some crap. How did you learn about records in the first place? Is there no fun anymore in taking chances? You think you're gonna go out there and find Heitkotter or Blackout Sounds 70 without buying boxes, goddamn YARDS worth of bad records?? Does it have to be worth money or some shit for you to buy it? Get the fuck outta here. I can't believe that bullshit. Dudes spend $3.50 on records and then freak out when they suck and are not worth anything?? Throw them on the curb and keep it moving! What's wrong with you? I am surrounded with records ALL DAY and the ONLY FUN SHIT TO DO is to look through a bunch of crap I don't know priced at 50 cents a piece. How do you think new rarities get found? On ebay? Frickin' losers. If $5 is too much for you to lose get a better job or drink less beer. You should be ashamed of yourselves. The dude who is wanking around with his portable in the thrift store dollar stacks and freaking out is playing himself and disrespecting the legacy.

well no need to get all huffy puffy about it... jeesh

HE'S GOT A FUCKIN' LEGACY DAWG!!!!

• Here's the thing though, if there are actually 58 records that look intersting enough to buy I garantee you[/b] you'll[/b] easily make your[/b] money back and then some... unless you[/b] are a total knob... in which case maybe you[/b] should just step out of the way and let someone who knows something look at the records. I mean, if $1-2 a pop is high stakes you[/b] might need to consider a new "lifestyle".

BTW: not directing this at you[/b] Dave, just speaking in the abstract.

classic.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I seriously can't believe people are griping about spending $1 on some crap. How did you learn about records in the first place? Is there no fun anymore in taking chances? You think you're gonna go out there and find Heitkotter or Blackout Sounds 70 without buying boxes, goddamn YARDS worth of bad records?? Does it have to be worth money or some shit for you to buy it? Get the fuck outta here. I can't believe that bullshit. Dudes spend $3.50 on records and then freak out when they suck and are not worth anything?? Throw them on the curb and keep it moving! What's wrong with you? I am surrounded with records ALL DAY and the ONLY FUN SHIT TO DO is to look through a bunch of crap I don't know priced at 50 cents a piece. How do you think new rarities get found? On ebay? Frickin' losers. If $5 is too much for you to lose get a better job or drink less beer. You should be ashamed of yourselves. The dude who is wanking around with his portable in the thrift store dollar stacks and freaking out is playing himself and disrespecting the legacy.

Haha JP on a tirade. Seriously, it's part of the game. I can imagine a portable being real handy in a foreign country where you don't speak the language, but it is really not that hard to tell which records have potential just by looking at them.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Blackout Sounds 70

Is this really even that hard to find?

If I played every record before purchasing and only bought what I liked I'd buy about 15 records a year and wouldn't know one tenth of what I know about records/music. As Jonny already said, the guys who are out there discovering the next big record that everyone here is gonna grip on isn't bitching that Goodwill is bleeding them by not allowing big bird through the door.

I can imagine a portable being real handy in a foreign country where you don't speak the language,

If I had bought every cool or interesting record which I wasn't familiar with while in Mexico last year I wouldn't have been able to afford the ticket back.

Psychedelic Go Go dancer covers from 1986? Only in Mexico.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    ONLY FUN SHIT TO DO is to look through a bunch of crap I don't know priced at 50 cents a piece.

Is this not contradicting yourself though?

• If I played every record before purchasing and only bought what I liked I'd buy about 15 records a year and wouldn't know one tenth of what I know about records/music. As Jonny already said, the guys who are out there discovering the next big record that everyone here is gonna grip on isn't bitching that Goodwill is bleeding them by not allowing big bird through the door.

WOW. I GUESS YOU GUYS WON THEN. WHAT WAS THE PRIZE?

I saw a guy find the next big thing at ARC. It was three figures and there was a portable involved.

Sorry, I find the Ten Digging Commandments pretty funny. Is this tied into the crate-digger lifestyle?

Blackout Sounds 70

Is this really even that hard to find?

BAN

• not allowing big bird through the door.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Sorry, I find the Ten Digging Commandments pretty funny. Is this tied into the crate-digger lifestyle?
    I've come to the conclusion that it is THE (crate-diggin') LIFESTYLE.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I saw a guy find the next big thing at ARC. It was three figures and there was a portable involved.

Uh, we're talking about portables at thrift stores and cheap spots here. Previewing a $100+ record seems perfectly reasonable.

And since when was Yuichi back?

This is sorta like those people who are already eating while in line at the grocery store.

Do beverages count?

curb your enthusiasm.

• I saw a guy find the next big thing at ARC. It was three figures and there was a portable involved.

Uh, we're talking about portables at thrift stores and cheap spots here. Previewing a $100+ record seems perfectly reasonable.

Of course it is. Re-read the post I'm responding too then don't take anything I type seriously.

You mean Hug Nasty, don't you?