SCIENTOLOGY

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited June 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
any of ya'll down with this. i need to know more! stein. . .

Comments

• Scientology is some weird stuff man. Thought reform techniques, torture, aliens, all sorts of things. L Ron Hubbard started his own Navy and created the uniforms and everything. It's called Sea Org.

I got involved in a coversation about Scientology with somebody the other day and he sent me to this page. I've been reading it for the last couple of days.

http://www.clambake.org/

The guy was a former member of the Church of Scientology and got out.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    word.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Take 1/3 Charles Ponzi:[/b]

Add 1/3 Elmer Gantry:[/b]

Toss in a mix of sci-fi hoodoo and hollywood gloss:[/b]

And VOILA! You have Scientology![/b]

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

L Ron Hubbard got breaks!

It was 1978. I was in the downtown Portland Greyhound Station. The old deco one. I guess that mall is there now. About 5th and Yamhill or maybe 6th and Taylor. I was sitting there with my backpack and my guitar. This girl came up to me and started talking. She was cute. No, she was hot. I mean she was like 5 times hotter than the girls I knew. Still she had a natural hippy look to her. She asked me to play her some guitar. Now I never liked using my guitar to pick up chicks but... she was really hot. I played some guitar Corina Corina or something. She was really coming on to me. I'm like this never happens. Then I'm like why not? I'm cool, I play guitar, I'm a stud. So then she asks me if I know about Dianetics. Or maybe just scientology, I'm not sure if they had that Dianetics angle yet. Sorry, I'm not interested. She trys again. No, I have no intrest in your religion. She looks me in the eye, long and lovingly in the eye, and asks me if she can ask a personal question. Yes, please, I want to get personal with you. She looks me in the eye and asks; "Are you gay?".

Tune in next week for; "Getting picked up hitchhiking by Mormans", or "Your Jewish, that's great, I'm Morman too."

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

L Ron Hubbard got breaks!

It was 1978. I was in the downtown Portland Greyhound Station. The old deco one. I guess that mall is there now. About 5th and Yamhill or maybe 6th and Taylor. I was sitting there with my backpack and my guitar. This girl came up to me and started talking. She was cute. No, she was hot. I mean she was like 5 times hotter than the girls I knew. Still she had a natural hippy look to her. She asked me to play her some guitar. Now I never liked using my guitar to pick up chicks but... she was really hot. I played some guitar Corina Corina or something. She was really coming on to me. I'm like this never happens. Then I'm like why not? I'm cool, I play guitar, I'm a stud. So then she asks me if I know about Dianetics. Or maybe just scientology, I'm not sure if they had that Dianetics angle yet. Sorry, I'm not interested. She trys again. No, I have no intrest in your religion. She looks me in the eye, long and lovingly in the eye, and asks me if she can ask a personal question. Yes, please, I want to get personal with you. She looks me in the eye and asks; "Are you gay?".

Tune in next week for; "Getting picked up hitchhiking by Mormans", or "Your Jewish, that's great, I'm Morman too."

Thank you for a much needed chuckle.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Great story! I have tried reading Dianetics and gave up after the first few pages. Their advice to look up words you don't know is pretty cool though.

It freaked me out whenever I drove past the huge sprawling complex on Sunset Blvd. Did anyone ever go into the complex at night for fun to get "tested" ?

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Yeah - I did. I ran out in the middle though because of a mixture of boredom and fear.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Did anyone ever go into the complex at night for fun to get "tested" ?

Me and a few friends went in to a clinic for fun when we were in high school. All I remember is that the guy kept circling one spot on the graph (that was supposedly the results of my test, but who would know?) with his pen, saying, "This right here means that you have a lot of trouble understanding where other people are coming from." I kept responding with questions like, "What do you mean by that?" I also questioned him about whether or not my BDSM lifestyle would fit with scientological principles. He fully admitted that he didn't have an answer for that one.

Yeah, the whole sex approach seems to be a common theme - I got rolled on while I was with a friend when we were only 15 and skipping school downtown...this dude asked us if we wanted to see a "free movie" all we needed to do was take a short test blah blah blah...so we go to the spot a block or two away, and this totally hot chick in her 30's comes out in a skimpy (but tasteful) dress and gives us this personality quiz and is fully doing some 80's movie "My Tutor" shit, letting her dress fall open to her ****** and everything, I mean I was 15 I was getting worked up watching this broad!!! So, the "free movie" turns out to be a vinegar faded 16mm print of L Ron Hubbard talking and talking and talking and me and my friend are whispering about do we think the chick will make out with us and L Ron Hubbard (on screen) starts shouting at the camera really loudly and red faced about the end of civilization, and we start laughing and laughing so hard they stop the movie and chick is not even visible anymore, just dude from the street and he's all, "maybe we need to explain to you the seriousness of this situation..." and we broke OUT. We saw that dude on that same corner ever since, I still see him down there, handing out fliers, and that shit was 20 years ago.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    We saw that dude on that same corner ever since, I still see him down there, handing out fliers, and that shit was 20 years ago.

dayum.

That film and ish sounds hilarious. I guess that was in the days before they got a cash infusion from the Travolta and Cruise estates

We saw that dude on that same corner ever since, I still see him down there, handing out fliers, and that shit was 20 years ago.

dayum.

I guess that was in the days before they got a cash infusion from the Travolta and Cruise estates

They're still in the same loc, they weren't ghetto, it was an expensive place to have the Center...they always have money cause that's how the shit works - you pay to ascend the pyramid, hence the Ponzi Scheme.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, the whole sex approach seems to be a common theme - I got rolled on while I was with a friend when we were only 15 and skipping school downtown...this dude asked us if we wanted to see a "free movie" all we needed to do was take a short test blah blah blah...so we go to the spot a block or two away, and this totally hot chick in her 30's comes out in a skimpy (but tasteful) dress and gives us this personality quiz and is fully doing some 80's movie "My Tutor" shit, letting her dress fall open to her ****** and everything, I mean I was 15 I was getting worked up watching this broad!!! So, the "free movie" turns out to be a vinegar faded 16mm print of L Ron Hubbard talking and talking and talking and me and my friend are whispering about do we think the chick will make out with us and L Ron Hubbard (on screen) starts shouting at the camera really loudly and red faced about the end of civilization, and we start laughing and laughing so hard they stop the movie and chick is not even visible anymore, just dude from the street and he's all, "maybe we need to explain to you the seriousness of this situation..." and we broke OUT. We saw that dude on that same corner ever since, I still see him down there, handing out fliers, and that shit was 20 years ago.

She sounds real hot.

She sounds real hot.

Yeah like some Joan Collins shit. Pencils in her hair and shit.
    Eyeglasses with a chain on 'em, ya know?

Are you prepared to accept L. Ron Hubbard as your personal savior?"[/b]

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Theres 2 copies of the Apollo Stars- power of source lp up on ebay right now. Bugged out L Ron Hubbard record.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

She sounds real hot.

This shit is some serious bunk[/b].

Whatever gets you through the day is fine, I don't care if Oscar the Grouch is your personal Lord and Saviour. PT Barnum is cackling in his grave....the human race never fails to stay the same, suckers til the end.

"There's a sucker born every minute."[/b]

"Every crowd has a silver lining.[/b]

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Ole Ron wanted to be really, really wealthy and really, really powerful... he realized early on that business wasn't gonna cut it... he decided that he needed to own his own country. His attempts at that got him and his followers officially banned from a few places. Next he decided that he should have his own religion. Dude is dead but those fuckers are still here causing trouble.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i am proud to say i have a degree from the same university as l. ron hubbard. (schnipper too)

i can't find the exact antecdote right now, but the story goes that improv legend del close made a five dollar bet with hubbard that he couldn't turn his science fiction writings into a profitable religon. close lost the bet.

- that dude

• I remember going to the "church" with some friends and watching the orientation video's narrator say the alternative to a life in scientology:

"Do you wanna live a life in shimmering, agonizing, darkness?"

The darkness is spreading!

• This is all funny and stuff, and I'm not defending scientology at all, but it sounds like you guys are making fun of the religion because it was just made up by some guy.

Like that makes it different than any other religion.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    This is all funny and stuff, and I'm not defending scientology at all, but it sounds like you guys are making fun of the religion because it was just made up by some guy.

Hey man, I'll make fun of any religion all day long...

HEY I'm the DEVIL and I've got a pointy stick which I'm going to poke you with when you're in HELL with me ahahahaha![/b]

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    this dude gives me a bad name.

This is all funny and stuff, and I'm not defending scientology at all, but it sounds like you guys are making fun of the religion because it was just made up by some guy.

I would defend to the death their right to practice it without oppression from the government. And you are right, ostensibly every faith started somewhere.

But the great thing about America is that I can say to a Catholic, y'know, some of your Leaders and Institutions are really behind the times, a bit archaic and sad. I can say that Christian Scientists beliefs regarding medical treatment are nuts to ME, but they are free to do whatever.

I respect anyone's right to practice, the flip is that it doesn't rule out ridicule in a discussion such as this. I think(and say) that Christians(which I identify as) have real issues and blind spots, and I don't take alleged 'Christian-bashing' personally. I think many Muslims hold certain customs and concepts dear that I find to be counter-productive to living in peace with people of other faiths. But I will say that in the case of most other Faiths, they have the benefit of hundreds or even thousands of years of tradition behind them. Ergo, there is ritual as well as reason and it has history.

Scientology is based on the teachings of ONE DUDE within the last 50 years and it's based on his SCI-FI books. BUNK![/b] You wanna worship that, wanna base your life on that, be my guest.

• This is all funny and stuff, and I'm not defending scientology at all, but it sounds like you guys are making fun of the religion because it was just made up by some guy.

I would defend to the death their right to practice it without oppression from the government. And you are right, ostensibly every faith started somewhere.

But the great thing about America is that I can say to a Catholic, y'know, some of your Leaders and Institutions are really behind the times, a bit archaic and sad. I can say that Christian Scientists beliefs regarding medical treatment are nuts to ME, but they are free to do whatever.

I respect anyone's right to practice, the flip is that it doesn't rule out ridicule in a discussion such as this. I think(and say) that Christians(which I identify as) have real issues and blind spots, and I don't take alleged 'Christian-bashing' personally. I think many Muslims hold certain customs and concepts dear that I find to be counter-productive to living in peace with people of other faiths. But I will say that in the case of most other Faiths, they have the benefit of hundreds or even thousands of years of tradition behind them. Ergo, there is ritual as well as reason and it has history.

Scientology is based on the teachings of ONE DUDE within the last 50 years and it's based on his SCI-FI books. BUNK![/b] You wanna worship that, wanna base your life on that, be my guest.

Ritual, history, and popularity don't make the more established religions any less "bunk".

Many religions do positive things for the less fortunate though, and I haven't heard anything about scientologists doing that.

Faith of all kinds have helped countless people get through life. I'm not against religion. A belief doesn't have to be true in order for it to give someone hope and strength.

Ritual, history, and popularity don't make the more established religions any less "bunk".

I think it gives them more credibility in society.

1000 years from now L Ron Hubbard may be a universally loved figure...glad it is not the case in my lifetime.

I do enjoy the public discourse that Tom Cruise has inflicted on us and himself though. I find it enlightening to see just how seriously people take these morning 'news' shows as the oracles of our time.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Essential reading: "The Death of a Scientologist" by Tori Marlan. First published in the Chicago Reader in 2002. Mind-blowing shit. I have a copy, but the text is far too long to post here.

Also interesting.

Hey...at least he produced a semi-decent fusion/funky rekkid. That's more than you can say for other religious icons.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Hey...at least he produced a semi-decent fusion/funky rekkid. That's more than you can say for other religious icons.

Ralph Carmichael is wont to have gotten down, too.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Kirstie Alley, actress
    Anne Archer, actress
    Jennifer Aspen, actress
    Jason Beghe, actor
    Catherine Bell, actress
    Karen Nelson Bell, producer, director and musician
    Karen Black, actress (later repudiated Scientology)
    Mary Bono, congresswoman
    Sonny Bono, artist and congressman
    William S. Burroughs, author, Beat Generation icon (later denounced Scientology)
    David Campbell, musician
    Nancy Cartwright, voiceover artist
    Kate Ceberano, actress and musician
    Erika Christensen, actress
    Keith Code, racing instructor
    Chick Corea, musician
    Tom Cruise, actor
    Dave Davies, musician
    Xavier Deluc, actor
    Jenna Elfman, actress, and her husband Bodhi, actor
    Werner Erhard, ex-Scientologist who founded est
    Michael Fairman, actor
    Beck Hansen, (Beck) musician
    Isaac Hayes, musician, actor
    Katie Holmes, actress
    Nicky Hopkins, musician
    L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology
    Mark Isham, musician
    Terry Jastrow, TV producer and director
    Jim Johnson, owner of Mr. Jim's Pizza chain
    Kimberley Kates, actress
    Jason Lee, actor and professional skateboarder
    Geoffrey Lewis, actor
    Juliette Lewis, actress
    Peggy Lipton, actress
    Courtney Love, musician and widow of Kurt Cobain - she credits the Scientology-associated group Narconon in the liner notes of one of her CDs[1], her spokeswoman denies her involvement in Scientology.[2].
    Charles Manson, serial killer who joined Scientology in prison before starting his own cult
    Christopher Masterson, actor
    Danny Masterson, actor, older brother of Christopher Masterson
    Lisa McPherson, died controversially while in the care of the Church of Scientology
    Peter Medak, director
    Van Morrison, singer, songwriter (later repudiated Scientology)
    Floyd Mutrux, writer, director and producer
    Haywood Nelson, actor
    Judy Norton, actress and musician
    Eduardo Palomo, actor, and his wife Carina, actress and musician
    Jeff Pomerantz, actor
    David Pomeranz, musician
    Priscilla Presley, actress
    Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of Elvis
    Kelly Preston, actress and John Travolta's wife
    Leah Remini, actress
    Patrick Renna, actor
    Giovanni Ribisi, actor
    Marissa Ribisi, actress, wife of Beck Hansen
    Michael D. Roberts, actor
    Mimi Rogers, actress
    Carl-W. R?rig, artist
    Billy Sheehan, rock bassist
    Megan Shields, physician and author
    Michelle Stafford, actress
    Sharon Stone, actress (reportedly now a convert to Buddhism)
    Patrick Swayze, actor
    Greta Van Susteren, host of On the Record with Greta Van Susteren on FOX TV
    John Travolta, actor
    Rob Thomas, musician
    Patrick Warren, musician
    Edgar Winter, musician
    Robert Zoller, author

Lamont Johnson thanks L.Ron on the back of his not very good out-of-tune synth Mainstream LP (and maybe also on the other ones that I don't have)...

• Kirstie Alley, actress
    Anne Archer, actress
    Jennifer Aspen, actress
    Jason Beghe, actor
    Catherine Bell, actress
    Karen Nelson Bell, producer, director and musician
    Karen Black, actress (later repudiated Scientology)
    Mary Bono, congresswoman
    Sonny Bono, artist and congressman
    William S. Burroughs, author, Beat Generation icon (later denounced Scientology)
    David Campbell, musician
    Nancy Cartwright, voiceover artist
    Kate Ceberano, actress and musician
    Erika Christensen, actress
    Keith Code, racing instructor
    Chick Corea, musician
    Tom Cruise, actor
    Dave Davies, musician
    Xavier Deluc, actor
    Jenna Elfman, actress, and her husband Bodhi, actor
    Werner Erhard, ex-Scientologist who founded est
    Michael Fairman, actor
    Beck Hansen, (Beck) musician
    Isaac Hayes, musician, actor
    Katie Holmes, actress
    Nicky Hopkins, musician
    L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology
    Mark Isham, musician
    Terry Jastrow, TV producer and director
    Jim Johnson, owner of Mr. Jim's Pizza chain
    Kimberley Kates, actress
    Jason Lee, actor and professional skateboarder
    Geoffrey Lewis, actor
    Juliette Lewis, actress
    Peggy Lipton, actress
    Courtney Love, musician and widow of Kurt Cobain - she credits the Scientology-associated group Narconon in the liner notes of one of her CDs[1], her spokeswoman denies her involvement in Scientology.[2].
    Charles Manson, serial killer who joined Scientology in prison before starting his own cult
    Christopher Masterson, actor
    Danny Masterson, actor, older brother of Christopher Masterson
    Lisa McPherson, died controversially while in the care of the Church of Scientology
    Peter Medak, director
    Van Morrison, singer, songwriter (later repudiated Scientology)
    Floyd Mutrux, writer, director and producer
    Haywood Nelson, actor
    Judy Norton, actress and musician
    Eduardo Palomo, actor, and his wife Carina, actress and musician
    Jeff Pomerantz, actor
    David Pomeranz, musician
    Priscilla Presley, actress
    Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of Elvis
    Kelly Preston, actress and John Travolta's wife
    Leah Remini, actress
    Patrick Renna, actor
    Giovanni Ribisi, actor
    Marissa Ribisi, actress, wife of Beck Hansen
    Michael D. Roberts, actor
    Mimi Rogers, actress
    Carl-W. R?rig, artist
    Billy Sheehan, rock bassist
    Megan Shields, physician and author
    Michelle Stafford, actress
    Sharon Stone, actress (reportedly now a convert to Buddhism)
    Patrick Swayze, actor
    Greta Van Susteren, host of On the Record with Greta Van Susteren on FOX TV
    John Travolta, actor
    Rob Thomas, musician
    Patrick Warren, musician
    Edgar Winter, musician
    Robert Zoller, author

drugs anyone?