SCIENTOLOGY

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Isaac Hayes, musician, actor

Say it ain't so.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Say it ain't so.

That's not even the worst. You know what is? Doug E. Fresh is a Scientologist. What the hell happened to The Greatest Entertainer?

• The one that disturbs me the most is Beck...

• Ritual, history, and popularity don't make the more established religions any less "bunk".

I think it gives them more credibility in society.

My point is that it is no more "crazy" to believe in Scientology than it is to believe in Judaism, Christianity, or Islam, etc...
    None of these beliefs have any sort of real proof of truth.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Say it ain't so.

That's not even the worst. You know what is? Doug E. Fresh is a Scientologist. What the hell happened to The Greatest Entertainer?

He went from "All the Way to Heaven" to .....clear.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The one that disturbs me the most is Beck...

I think he got into it because of his wife, and when they divorced he renounced it. But yeah, for some reason he's the one who it disturbs me the most.

Ritual, history, and popularity don't make the more established religions any less "bunk".

My point is that it is no more "crazy" to believe in Scientology than it is to believe in Judaism, Christianity, or Islam, etc...

But I think that history and relevance over spans of time and cultures DO make it "less crazy". Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hindi certainly have more gravitas to the rational individual than Scientology. I guess it's all in how you look at it.

• Ritual, history, and popularity don't make the more established religions any less "bunk".

Judaism, Christianity and Islam are complex faiths with "ways of life" that have merit above and beyond any belief in the supernatural. Scientology is a jacked up, pseudo-religious (I've heard it's followers refer to it as "technology") version of Tony Robbins self-help mumbo jumbo. Not to mention that the deeper you drill into Hubbard's writings, the stranger it all gets.

• regarding that list, excluding isaac hayes, i think its safe to say who gives a shit

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    regarding that list, excluding isaac hayes, i think its safe to say who gives a shit

I would say that even with Isaac Hayes in there.

Ritual, history, and popularity don't make the more established religions any less "bunk".

Judaism, Christianity and Islam are complex faiths with "ways of life" that have merit above and beyond any belief in the supernatural. Scientology is a jacked up, pseudo-religious (I've heard it's followers refer to it as "technology") version of Tony Robbins self-help mumbo jumbo. Not to mention that the deeper you drill into Hubbard's writings, the stranger it all gets.

yeah, what Larry said.

File under "I have smart friends".

But I think that history and relevance over spans of time and cultures DO make it "less crazy". Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hindi certainly have more gravitas to the rational individual than Scientology. I guess it's all in how you look at it.

It's no more rational to believe that there is some sort of "all-knowing all-powerful being running the show" than it is to believe that aliens once visited our planet. It doesn't matter how many people believe it. It's more understandable, though only because children usually grow up believing what their parents teach them.

Buddhism seems to ask for the least suspension of disbelief out of all of them.

I imagine a Scientologist would say it is a complex faith with a "way of life". What gives these other religons merit? Also, the Torah, Bible, and Koran are filled with lots of very "strange" things.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i can't believe how popular scientology is all of a sudden, all because of maverick. it's like the top search on the internet after 'jessica alba' and shit. also, salon.com has a 4 part series chronicling scientology under this title:

hahaha

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sonny Bono, artist

Artist? ARTIST??? Try hack.

All you alls religion was started by some guy. My Religion was started by God.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    i can't believe how popular scientology is all of a sudden, all because of maverick. it's like the top search on the internet after 'jessica alba' and shit. also, salon.com has a 4 part series chronicling scientology under this title:

hahaha

I believe that it's more infamous than famous. Most people at my workplace are freaked out (no Zappa) about it, and the Tom Cruise Weirdness Express is part and parcel of the whole circus. In no small way, Scientology is being researched by common folks that have heard it's goofy and are about to fulfill their assumptions.

I don't think that Scientology is at an apex, enrollment-wise. I think they topped out in the 80s and have had to pick up the slack with celebrity recruitment. Also: Scientology seems to have limited accessibility; any Joe Poor can waltz into a Baptist church and supplicate, whereas the same guy can't go too far into Scientology without hitting a money wall.

Have you seen my OT-7, bay-bee? Check out THESE Body Thetans.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Yes it is more crazy. Scientology wants to bleed you dry. They milk as much cash out of you as they possibly can. Other churches ask for tithes, but how many expect you to go bankrupt for them?

Seriously. I think Scientology is only a religion in the tax shelter, freedom of religion sense. As far as teaching goes it is a "science" or some one said "technology". You can be a Buddhist, a Muslim, a Jew or a Mormon and still be a Scientologist as far as they are concerned. They do not ask you to renounce or stop practicing your religion. At least that is how I understand it.

So do these celebrities marry to convert rich people? I mean was it Lisa Maria's job to marry Michael and try to get him to convert? Just like the girl who tried to pick me up in the bus station?

One more thing: I am ready to clown any one who trys to convert me to their religion, and I'll clown their religion too while I am at it.

Dan

• Sonny Bono, artist

sonny bono got loops

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    How many people posting in this thread have actually read Dianetics, all the way through?

I have. Don't forget, Christianity was considered a fluke cult until it caught on. Is bashing on Soulstrut the new feeding the lions?

I'm not a Scientologist, but after reading Dianetics, and coincidentally City of Quartz by Mike Davis (he does a little section about LRH in it) it's got SOME valid points, but is essentially a complex new age self help money pyramid scheme, that believes a lot of peoples problems start in the womb and stem from the mother having extra-marital affairs.

And for the record, LRH was in the Navy as some sort of psychoanalist or medical examiner, and a lot of his theories were based on his observations of and conversations with wounded folks in hospitals. According to Mike Davis, he was also an apprentice to a Satanic priest in Hollywood, and was boffing his mentors wife. The priest found out about his wife and LRH, and came up with some crazy ritual involving a hooker, insemination and bringing forth the anti-christ on earth. Then the mansion they were in exploded, LRH was the only survivor, and went on to write Dianetics. The case of the explosion was never solved by LAPD....

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I heard they have a spaceship under that building in Hollywood.

we sleep, they live

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    boffing

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Wish I could remember the comedian, but back in the 90's I say this guy do a bit on Dyanetics. At the time there was a comercial where they would propose a life question and then tell you what page the answer was on so you would go buy Dyanetics.

The comedian of course had silly ones.

"Do women pee in the shower? Page 115.............Why get out?"

WIsh I could remeber this guy cuz they were pretty good. Plus, he did this whole bit on how different things were funny to the left side of his brain as opposed to the right side.

Sonny Bono, artist

No way...dude wrote "Laugh At Me"...he was Phil Spector Jr in his day!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    According to Mike Davis, he was also an apprentice to a Satanic priest in Hollywood, and was boffing his mentors wife. The priest found out about his wife and LRH, and came up with some crazy ritual involving a hooker, insemination and bringing forth the anti-christ on earth. Then the mansion they were in exploded, LRH was the only survivor, and went on to write Dianetics. The case of the explosion was never solved by LAPD....

Are you serious??

I know scientology is a bunch of bullshit but what kind "religion" and I use the term loosely, would have a leader with a past like that?

On a scientology related note, I went to Hemet which is about 45 min. away from me, to dig one day. I got lost and ran into this on the side of a hill:

There's a big castle and a fucking pirate ship in the middle of nowhere. Apparently it's some kind of multi million dollar movie studio or something.

*excerpt from the L.A. Weekly:

"The razor-wire-enclosed spread, called Golden Era Productions, occupies 500 acres along Gilman Hot Springs Road. Inside its faux???English castle???inspired building, workers produce an array of videotape programs, radio and television addresses, and Sunday services for the church. Other projects include restoring recordings of L. Ron???s 3,000 90-minute lectures, producing posters, fliers, magazines and books, and translating materials into 16 languages.

Critics, who call the facility ???Gold Base,??? claim the compound also houses the church???s highly secretive security apparatus. Many of the 700 Scientologists who work at Golden Era are bused in from apartment complexes in Hemet, dressed in those blue seafaring uniforms you see outside the church???s building in Hollywood (one of Scientology???s world headquarters)."

"PRESERVING HIS WORDS: Titanium capsules, on display in Los Angeles, are part of Scientology???s ongoing $226-million effort to archive Hubbard???s writings. His words are imprinted on stainless steel plates, stored in the capsules, then wrapped in Kevlar and placed in underground buildings to protect them from nuclear or natural disaster."

cray cray

How many people posting in this thread have actually read Dianetics, all the way through?

I have. Don't forget, Christianity was considered a fluke cult until it caught on. Is bashing on Soulstrut the new feeding the lions?

I'm not a Scientologist, but after reading Dianetics, and coincidentally City of Quartz by Mike Davis (he does a little section about LRH in it) it's got SOME valid points, but is essentially a complex new age self help money pyramid scheme, that believes a lot of peoples problems start in the womb and stem from the mother having extra-marital affairs.

And for the record, LRH was in the Navy as some sort of psychoanalist or medical examiner, and a lot of his theories were based on his observations of and conversations with wounded folks in hospitals. According to Mike Davis, he was also an apprentice to a Satanic priest in Hollywood, and was boffing his mentors wife. The priest found out about his wife and LRH, and came up with some crazy ritual involving a hooker, insemination and bringing forth the anti-christ on earth. Then the mansion they were in exploded, LRH was the only survivor, and went on to write Dianetics. The case of the explosion was never solved by LAPD....

Never read Dianetics, never will, and for the record, I would bet most Christians who say they have actually read the Bible in full would be lying. Doesn't mean I can't spout off about it, and I really don't expect to be taken very seriously about any of my opinions regarding it.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    According to Mike Davis, he was also an apprentice to a Satanic priest in Hollywood, and was boffing his mentors wife. The priest found out about his wife and LRH, and came up with some crazy ritual involving a hooker, insemination and bringing forth the anti-christ on earth. Then the mansion they were in exploded, LRH was the only survivor, and went on to write Dianetics. The case of the explosion was never solved by LAPD....

Are you serious??

I know scientology is a bunch of bullshit but what kind "religion" and I use the term loosely, would have a leader with a past like that?

sayin tho!

believes a lot of peoples problems start in the womb and stem from the mother having extra-marital affairs.

Ok, well as long as there's nothing crazy about it.

Dan

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    the cool thing about it is that they store all of L. Ron Hubards teachings on metal records (that's right records!) that are kept in titanium boxes somewhere under New Mexico! They have solar powerd TT's that will be used to play them in the event of whatever.