American Gangster/Jay-Z

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
So what are people thinking about this, now that it's leaked?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• I'm really into it. Excited to get the real deal when it drops, this rip is a little janky.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Ha yeah - take that album's inconsistencies and reduce it down to an uneven single disc and voila! "American Gangster." I hope the movie's better. I haven't really sat with the Jay CD in depth yet but my first casual listen through was not exactly inspiring.

• I don't really hear it as inconsistent. I think you'll either like it or you won't, but it's pretty consistent. Soul samples and tales of drug dealing. Not sure what folks are waiting for.

I think many people have wildly unrealistic expectations for this... if you look at Jay's history, he's always had records with tracks that some would say are inconsistent... Blueprint being the only real exception... and maybe Reasonable Doubt

I think this is better than the Black Album, Blueprint 2, and Life & Times vol. 1... Jay hasn't been this focused lyrically since Blueprint. The tracks at times sound tinny, but I can't tell if that's just the leak. They sounded great on stage. Maybe more like those silver records, S. Carter Vol 1 and Life & Times Vol 3 or whatever.

I'm admittedly a Jay-Z stan but this hasn't left my car at all yet.

:FEELINGIT:

Is this being billed as an official Jay album like Batman/Prince or is this the AG Soundtrack w/ Jay grabbing most of the tracks?

To me, most of Jay's albums are a mix of hits and misses, save for the two you mentioned. The Black Album wasn't really perfect for me, track to track, but the best stuff on there was so good, it helped balance out the songs I didn't like that much.

With AG, a lot of the pre-chatter was about how "soulful" it was and right now, I'm not hearing that. Yeah, there's definitely a few songs built on that sound but not all of them...and there are more than a few beats here I don't ever need to hear again (as beats): "No Hook," "Pray," and god forgive me but despite the use of Marvin, I didn't find "American Dream" very interesting. ("Success" is the shit though).

As for people having unrealistic expectations...I think people hold Jay in high regard and expect him to live up to that. Nothing unrealistic about that.

I don't really hear it as inconsistent. I think you'll either like it or you won't, but it's pretty consistent. Soul samples and tales of drug dealing. Not sure what folks are waiting for.

I think many people have wildly unrealistic expectations for this... if you look at Jay's history, he's always had records with tracks that some would say are inconsistent... Blueprint being the only real exception... and maybe Reasonable Doubt

I think this is better than the Black Album, Blueprint 2, and Life & Times vol. 1... Jay hasn't been this focused lyrically since Blueprint. The tracks at times sound tinny, but I can't tell if that's just the leak. They sounded great on stage. Maybe more like those silver records, S. Carter Vol 1 and Life & Times Vol 3 or whatever.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Is this being billed as an official Jay album like Batman/Prince or is this the AG Soundtrack w/ Jay grabbing most of the tracks?

No, it's a real Jay album--it's not a soundtrack and has no real connection to the movie other than sharing a title.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    To me, most of Jay's albums are a mix of hits and misses, save for the two you mentioned. The Black Album wasn't really perfect for me, track to track, but the best stuff on there was so good, it helped balance out the songs I didn't like that much.

With AG, a lot of the pre-chatter was about how "soulful" it was and right now, I'm not hearing that. Yeah, there's definitely a few songs built on that sound but not all of them...and there are more than a few beats here I don't ever need to hear again (as beats): "No Hook," "Pray," and god forgive me but despite the use of Marvin, I didn't find "American Dream" very interesting. ("Success" is the shit though).

As for people having unrealistic expectations...I think people hold Jay in high regard and expect him to live up to that. Nothing unrealistic about that.

I don't really hear it as inconsistent. I think you'll either like it or you won't, but it's pretty consistent. Soul samples and tales of drug dealing. Not sure what folks are waiting for.

^^^^^^KNOWN NOT TO BE A REAL JAY FAN

^^^^^^KNOWN NOT TO BE A REAL JAY FAN
    Umm...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    "let that bitch breath"

please Jay, just stick to the HP commercials

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I hope the movie's better.

the movie leaked too... saw it last night. it's a-ight.

• The tracks at times sound tinny, but I can't tell if that's just the leak.

Pretty sure it's the leak... I was at the studio where Duro's been mixing this the other night, and I think he's still putting the finishing touches on it.

• "No Hook," "Pray," and god forgive me but despite the use of Marvin, I didn't find "American Dream" very interesting. ("Success" is the shit though).

These three records are pretty much the epitome of where he's going lyrically and substantively on the album so if you're not finding them very interesting I question where you're coming at it from.

"American Dream" has some of his best lyrics in years... "Pray" is tense as hell... I think you really need to sit down and examine the record with the depth you claim Jay-Z demands before writing (son). Sounds like you heard it on computer speakers once or twice.

If you are looking for mind-melting beats on every track then you are totally missing the point of the record, and I'd venture you're not too familiar with Jay's catalog. The majority of it is made special not by his beat choices, which are often sub-standard or at best average - but by what he does with them.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I need to listen to this!! Anybody got the MPfree?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Jay-Z stressed that "American Gangster," due out Nov. 6, is an album with a story from beginning to end ??? something he says too many rap discs lack.

"I'm not knocking the way anybody makes (their music)," he said, "(but) I think a body of work is what the game needs right now."

This is true. But can he do it at age 37?

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    I havnt given it alot of listen but what caught me pretty much during the first round:

If jay-z holds onto the "this is one story" thing, then he should have made the lp more consistant. I'm tempted to skip all the time. Beats dont fit, Okay we have some nice stuff on there like the no id or the roc boys tracks, but apart from what has been leaked so far, only the success track caught my attention. The rest is pretty much

I don't get this dude, it seemed to be so easy for him to put great albums together before he started going downhill...

• I havent seen the film nor heard the AG album but I saw Mr. Untouchable yesterday. Its not perfect but its worth seeing!

Anybody else seen it?

Peace,

Dress

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    I hope the movie's better.

the movie leaked too... saw it last night. it's a-ight.
    so it's not worth seeing in theatres?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I've never been a big Jay guy, but I do like what I hear on this. It sounds like he's back in his element, reminiscing about the game with an old-head perspective. I think it'd be better suited as a soundtrack than billed as an album, though.

I'm about to give AG a proper listen (though "Hello Brooklyn" did bump nicely in the car).

I heartily disagree that Jay-Z is known for beat-mediocrity - I've never felt that way about his music and I've been listening to his catalog as long as anyone here. "Rhyming hot over average beats" doesn't really sound like a reputation he'd stake for himself and as a fan, I've always though he's displayed a gift for good lines AND - at times at least - choosing some good shit to rhyme over. It's not for nothing that cats like Just Blaze and Kanye were able to launch careers thanks to producing for Jay.

Regardless, like I said, I'm about to sit with AG properly so we'll see how good/bad this really is.

I'm said to hear the movie is just "a'ight."

• I heartily disagree that Jay-Z is known for beat-mediocrity - I've never felt that way about his music and I've been listening to his catalog as long as anyone here. "Rhyming hot over average beats" doesn't really sound like a reputation he'd stake for himself and as a fan, I've always though he's displayed a gift for good lines AND - at times at least - choosing some good shit to rhyme over. It's not for nothing that cats like Just Blaze and Kanye were able to launch careers thanks to producing for Jay.

Dude - are you familiar with his pre-Blueprint albums?

You think "Money Cash Hoes" is a great beat? "Can I Get A..."? I mean sure, you've got "Streets Is Watching" and "Dead Presidents" and "Where I'm From" but do you think "D'Evils" would be a classic with anyone else over it? Imagine "Friend Or Foe" with Jeru - or fuck it, Guru - over it. It's all about what Jay-Z did with a pretty average Primo track. Even on The Blueprint, listen to "Jigga That N*gga", "Renegade", hell even "Lyrical Exercise" and imagine those tracks without Jay-Z. Very average.

I heartily disagree that Jay-Z is known for beat-mediocrity - I've never felt that way about his music and I've been listening to his catalog as long as anyone here. "Rhyming hot over average beats" doesn't really sound like a reputation he'd stake for himself and as a fan, I've always though he's displayed a gift for good lines AND - at times at least - choosing some good shit to rhyme over. It's not for nothing that cats like Just Blaze and Kanye were able to launch careers thanks to producing for Jay.

Dude - are you familiar with his pre-Blueprint albums?

You think "Money Cash Hoes" is a great beat? "Can I Get A..."? I mean sure, you've got "Streets Is Watching" and "Dead Presidents" and "Where I'm From" but do you think "D'Evils" would be a classic with anyone else over it? Imagine "Friend Or Foe" with Jeru - or fuck it, Guru - over it. It's all about what Jay-Z did with a pretty average Primo track. Even on The Blueprint, listen to "Jigga That N*gga", "Renegade", hell even "Lyrical Exercise" and imagine those tracks without Jay-Z. Very average.

Wait - you thought "Can I Get A..." was wack, beat-wise? I loved that track and wasn't mad at that style of production (even if it wasn't my bread and butter). Dude, if you think I'm only riding for Ski/Preme beats in that era, you're very, very wrong. "Jigga, My Nigga," "Who You Wit," "Money Ain't a Thing" - I wasn't mad at none of those.

So yeah, "Cash Money Hoes" >>> "Pray" or "No Hook" as far as beats go.

I'd also add that "Hello Brooklyn" isn't remotely "soulful" but it knocks something stooopid on nothing more than a drum box track. I do wish Wayne was singing less on it though.

do you think "D'Evils" would be a classic with anyone else over it?

I'm still stunned at what's being implied here.

At the very least, this album shits all over "Kingdom Come." And it actually is more consistent than I initially gave it credit for. I still am not crazy about the first third but I thought practically everything from "Roc Boys" onwards was very solid - even "Blue Magic" (which I initially was skeptical on) sounds better in sequence. And the trio of "Say Hello," "Success" and "Fallin'" was especially lovely.

• I'm still stunned at what's being implied here.

Indeed.

It's possible I was merely unaware of your closeted love for jiggy-hop, but when those records came out you were absolutely NOT riding for shit like "Money Ain't A Thing" or "Money Cash Hoes".

Let us try to be serious for a moment.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

HA. #67?

finally got a chance to listen to these tracks...and yeah, the lyrics are much more on point than Kingdom Come. Not sure if I would place these songs above his best Black Album-era material, but I'm prepared to wait until the actual release date and listen to a non-jankified before casting final judgment. Especially feeling the title track, success, sweet, and the winner..., & pray.

but I'm prepared to wait until the actual release date and listen to a non-jankified before casting final judgment.

• but I'm prepared to wait until the actual release date and listen to a non-jankified before casting final judgment.

^^^ BRONX-BROOKLYN BIAS ^^^

I'm still stunned at what's being implied here.

Indeed.

It's possible I was merely unaware of your closeted love for jiggy-hop, but when those records came out you were absolutely NOT riding for shit like "Money Ain't A Thing" or "Money Cash Hoes".

Dude, don't let my URB years fool you. True, I wouldn't have played "Money Cash Hoes" out but I was all into "Money Ain't a Thing" and "Can I Get A..." I admit - I was initially disappointed that "Vol 1" didn't sound like "Reasonable Doubt, The Sequel" but once I got past that, I was open to many of Jay's big hits in the era.