covers of songs you love that caught you off guard

2»

Comments

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

also many Dylan covers

The Man in Me, my favorite Dylan song, covered by Matumbi. So Frickin' dope. This is likely my all time pool-side anthem. Every bit as good as the O.G.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

also many Dylan covers

The Man in Me, my favorite Dylan song, covered by Matumbi. So Frickin' dope. This is likely my all time pool-side anthem. Every bit as good as the O.G.

Do you have this Dled? I'd like to hear it.

• Jose Feliciano "Golden Lady".

I think one of the very Stevie covers that I've heard that is as good as the original.

Family Choice "Reggae Beat Goes On". That whole Hustle Reggae comp on Soul Jazz is pretty damn thorough.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I have it on the computer, but its from the I-tunes store - dont know if i can post that. will i-tunes tracks ive downloaded work on other peoples computers without my i-tunes account password?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Billy Hill's unlikely two-stepping country version of the Four Tops'"I Can't Help Myself." It works, too! They (Billy Hill was a band, not a man) give it a shuffle rhythm ala Ray Price and it sounds eerily natural.

Also: Dion recasting "Purple Haze" as a slow folk-rock ballad.

• Also: Dion recasting "Purple Haze" as a slow folk-rock ballad.

the definition of weird

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Crink do you have the buffy st marie cover of Helpless? If you do post it, love it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Also: Dion recasting "Purple Haze" as a slow folk-rock ballad.

the definition of weird

its a crazy idea that on paper shouldnt work, but my man Dion pulls it off

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I like Jaisuns version of Keepin it to Myself better than AWs.
    That caught me off gaurd a bit.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I was thinking of this last night - yup, I think about threads when I'm not on here. What?

Anyway. The Isley's version of It's Too Late. First time I didn't know what it was until the vocals had been going for a while and I was already in love with it, after, even more so.

• i love Johnny Cash's version of rusty cage! His version of 13 is better than danzig's original.

I'm sonning myself here, but "Rusty Cage" is a Soundgarden song.

Cash did perform at least one Danzig-penned tune, though.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I've always loved the Brazillian Ed Lincoln's track 'Cochise' (mp3), and I was very pleased to find that there's a Tito Puente version! (mp3).

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    i love Johnny Cash's version of rusty cage! His version of 13 is better than danzig's original.

I'm sonning myself here, but "Rusty Cage" is a Soundgarden song.

Cash did perform at least one Danzig-penned tune, though.

yea rusty cage by soundgarden that cash covered caught me off guard to say the least. He kills it!

and his version of 13 by danzig is better than danzig's. The lyrics to that song are great and they get lost in Danzig's version...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

also many Dylan covers

Do you have this Dled? I'd like to hear it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/63569384/B1_-_The_Man_In_Me.mp3.html

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    charisma - yesterday's folks

good song, but seems strange for somebody to cover U.S. 69 the same year their lp came out....

• rain103rain103 476 Posts

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    if you are into Neil Young covers check this comp out..
    www.mediafire.com/?d3di605vbk8o5bk

1. Lost Boy? - Hey Babe (Butchered Version)
    2. Fossil Cities - After The Gold Rush
    3. Quilt - Sugar Mountain
    4. Kind Spirit - Lotta Love
    5. Medallions - Like A Hurricane
    6. Warm Body - See The Sky About To Rain
    7. Vacation - Barstool Blues
    8. Ivana XL - Heart Of Gold
    9. Foxes In Fiction - Tell Me Why
    10. Emily Reo - On The Beach
    11. Teen Daze - Harvest
    12. /Brown Bread - Pocahontas
    13. Ghost Animal - Helpless
    14/. Breakfast In Fur - Cripple Creek Ferry

obviously not all of them are the greatest, but as a a pretty big Neil Young fan I find a handful of these pretty damn good.
    tell me why
    harvest
    Attached files

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Bernstein's cover with Anthony Johnson of 'family affair' totally took meby surprise. Beautiful.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    X=Stepanie

Y=Elvin Jones

• Been enjoying everyones suggestions from 6 years ago-present.

This cover of "Light My Fire" by the Deep Blue Organ Trio (hopefully Chicago strutters are familiar) is awesome and has some neat new ideas in there.

There is also a great "Light My Fire" cover by the Soul Merchants that takes a latin feel. I can't find a recording on the internet, but I have a VG- copy maybe if I find some time in the next day or two I'll upload it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Heard a cover of a song I love at the farmers market last weekend.
    It truly took me by surprise and made me think.
    Took half a day to figure out how genius it was.

A guitarist singer was doing a real nice version of Son Of A Preacher Man. (Roberta Flack is the ultimate version for me.)

But he didn't change the words to make it daughter of a preacher man, which I initially thought was odd/surprising.

• I mentioned this in the relevant SS#100 thread, but its worth mentioning again: Love - "Be Thankful For What You've Got.

Gabor Szabo also riffs on DeVaughn's hook in the refrain of his "Keep Smiling," itself a Bunny Sigler cover.