HIPHOP HONOURS - CRITIQUE

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    MISSY - TIMBALAND SHOULD GOT THE DAMN AWARD
    HOW MANY RECORDS HAS SOLO ARTIST TIMBALAND SOLD

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    JUST BECAUSE A RAP ARTIST ISNT ENJOYED BY THE KEEP IT REAL CREW DOESNT MEAN ITS NOT RAP

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

How many has DJ Hollywood Sold?

Im talmbout INFLUENCE vs. Soundscan.

Timbos Production Influence > Missy career. IMO.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

How many has DJ Hollywood Sold?

Im talmbout INFLUENCE vs. Soundscan.

Timbos Production Influence > Missy career. IMO.
    i agree w/ this in the sense that the ppl timbo influenced are more likely to go into music just because of that demographic breakdown. but missy's impact on her fans is just as wide ranging as timbo's impact on music nerds.

• the sad thing about this Hip Hop honors shit is that one day they'll be honoring Puffy.

What planet are u on?

the Planet that thinks Press Play is hot garbage and No Way Out is when Biggie, biggie's ghostwrittens or Jada isn't rhyming.

The Planet that thinks his inablity to write rhymes should be taken into consideration

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the sad thing about this Hip Hop honors shit is that one day they'll be honoring Puffy.

What planet are u on?

the Planet that thinks Press Play is hot garbage and No Way Out is when Biggie, biggie's ghostwrittens or Jada isn't rhyming.

The Planet that thinks his inablity to write rhymes should be taken into consideration
    The Planet is a goddamn cornball

the sad thing about this Hip Hop honors shit is that one day they'll be honoring Puffy.

What planet are u on?

Are you from the "keeping it real" quadrant of the galaxy?

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

Well it's not that he's never heard the group or that he thinks other groups are better (although I'm not sure how he reconciles that position with supposedly never having heard them).

Don't you do the same in 93.54% of your posts on Soulstrut ? Come on, YOU are the Lupe Fiasco of this board.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Well it's not that he's never heard the group or that he thinks other groups are better (although I'm not sure how he reconciles that position with supposedly never having heard them).

Don't you do the same in 93.54% of your posts on Soulstrut ? Come on, YOU are the Lupe Fiasco of this board.

Wow, champ, you were just waiting for that opening, weren't you?

Come on, YOU are among the many individuals on this board that struggles with reading comprehension.

What planet are u on?

So Eazy-E should be removed from the List? Why do u think its JUST ABOUT SKILLS?

• on a side note, why was Daz on there at all? we are talking about Daz from the Dogg Pound right? I mean, did this guy really mean much to anyone as a rapper? Dogg Food was good, and his verses on the Snoop albums were always OK I guess, but Kurrupt was/is very obviously the real talent in that group rap-wise.

what the fuck? talk about showing ignorance? Daz Dillinger? Well lets see, he produced a couple albums you may have heard of. umm... tupac "all eyes on me"? Daz dillinger can sit at any hip hop honors just for the snare sound on ambitions of a ridah.

Man, if daz wasnt there for a Frickin' snoop dogg tribute it would be like phife not showing up for the tribe shit.

THANK YOU.

Dudes are all up in arms about Lupe but honestly people talk the same shit out of their asses every day on these sites. Regular shit.

*sigh*

yeah I guess preferring Kurrupt's rappping skills to Daz's (a rather uncontroversial point I would say) is tantamount to a rapper refusing to listen to Midnight Maurauders and championing MC Hammer. TOTALLY the same.

and so begins another day on the Strut....

• I wasn't explicitly comparing the two instances - merely pointing out how hypocritical it is for someone with as little knowledge of rap music as you to criticize Lupe Fiasco. I'd imagine that Midnight Marauders is one of the few rap albums you HAVE listened to.

Kurrupt was certainly a better rapper - but your slip started showing when you implied that Daz has never done anything worthy of note. In fact, Daz has consistently made better records than Kurrupt, post-Dog Food. Not to mention producing some of the most well-known and revered rap records of the last decade.

• when you implied that Daz has never done anything worthy of note.

lol. nope. sorry Jonny, never said that.

as you can see my comment related solely to Daz the rapper:

on a side note, why was Daz on [read: the stage, rapping][/b] there at all? we are talking about Daz from the Dogg Pound right? I mean, did this guy really mean much to anyone as a rapper[/b] ? Dogg Food was good, and his verses [/b] on the Snoop albums were always OK I guess, but Kurrupt was/is very obviously the real talent in that group rap-wise[/b] .

I think putting forgettable rappers on the mic for a rap show is weak. obviously you disagree.

but hey you can put words in my mouth, though, if it helps to validate your mingarden image of me as ignorant-of-all-things-rap-related. seriously I don't mind.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Give me a break. Who the f*ck is doing this guy's PR?

• So Eazy-E should be removed from the List? Why do u think its JUST ABOUT SKILLS?

I wouldn't put him in as a solo artist but obviously N.W.A. gets in. but I feel the same about Kriss Kross, Pete Rock (as an emcee), Roxanne Shante et al, who had a majority of the lyrics written for them.

I think to be honored you should've on occassion put pen to paper and come up with 3-4 minutes of lyrical brillance. I mean as much as I'm not feeling a majority of Common's shit, I do recognize he's worthy of being an Honoree. To Cloud your judgement on Puffs accomplishments as a producer and finer or talent shouldn't get him in as a performer. Put Del, The D.O.C. & Schooly D in and let Puff be the one who "found" Biggie, Mary J, etc.

Are you saying you ride for Press Play? Do I need to get a late pass for that?

• I think putting forgettable rappers on the mic for a rap show is weak. obviously you disagree.

but hey you can put words in my mouth, though, if it helps to validate your mingarden image of me as ignorant-of-all-things-rap-related. seriously I don't mind.

You must have missed the part of my poast where I mentioned that Daz's solo albums have been almost always better than Young Gotti's... and that's not even touching his production accolades. But whatever. You don't need my help in portraying yourself as ignorant-of-all-things-rap-related.

For a Snoop tribute, I can scarcely think of anyone more qualified than his lil cousin Daz.

So Eazy-E should be removed from the List? Why do u think its JUST ABOUT SKILLS?

I wouldn't put him in as a solo artist but obviously N.W.A. gets in. but I feel the same about Kriss Kross, Pete Rock (as an emcee), Roxanne Shante et al, who had a majority of the lyrics written for them.

I think to be honored you should've on occassion put pen to paper and come up with 3-4 minutes of lyrical brillance. I mean as much as I'm not feeling a majority of Common's shit, I do recognize he's worthy of being an Honoree. To Cloud your judgement on Puffs accomplishments as a producer and finer or talent shouldn't get him in as a performer. Put Del, The D.O.C. & Schooly D in and let Puff be the one who "found" Biggie, Mary J, etc.

Eazy is already in for being Eazy...simple.

should've on occassion put pen to paper and come up with 3-4 minutes of lyrical brillance.

Bullshit. U cant place Lyrics at the front.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    So Snoop gets honored and Dre doesn't?

Last year it was Cube & Eazy right?

How does this happen?

No disrespect to Snoop. But that seems like some bullshit.

And I also don't think Missy should have been honored.

And all I gotta say is if next year they don't give Beat Street some shine, I'll never care about this show again.

• Timbos Production Influence > Missy career. IMO.

For sure.

So Snoop gets honored and Dre doesn't?
    Last year it was Cube & Eazy right?
    How does this happen?No disrespect to Snoop. But that seems like some bullshit.

Dre doesnt do these shows.

And all I gotta say is if next year they don't give RAPPIN' some shine, I'll never care about this show again

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Why not? He went on at the MTV awards. I guess Mary J gave him his Hip Hop Honors on there.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

Why not? He went on at the MTV awards. I guess Mary J gave him his Hip Hop Honors on there.

Dre barely does interviews much less award shows. The MTV appearance was pretty calculated as he gets ready to drop his next album.

• Bullshit. U cant place Lyrics at the front.

so what goes in front?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

so what goes in front?
    how about you instead explain why the fuck it matters that someone write their own shit

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    tired of this. she has enough classic (YES CLASSIC) material and is a big enough figure in the music to deserve these honors. she's sold more records than many of hte honorees and has made real quality hip-hop from day one.

Here's an argument that will make me real popular around here: she would deserve it more than Dilla (RIP)

• Bullshit. U cant place Lyrics at the front.

so what goes in front?
    how about you instead explain why the fuck it matters that someone write their own shit

It's an art form and when you're acknowledging persons who excel in said art form one would think a criteria of excellence be that they can actually create rather the ability to merely recite. While he's had some incredible shit written for him, doesn't that make him no different than the constant string of pre-fab groups he's trying to put together?

Are you saying Play and/or Forever should be in the cannons of great hip hop records?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

so what goes in front?

It's an art form and when you're acknowledging persons who excel in said art form one would think a criteria of excellence be that they can actually create rather the ability to merely recite. While he's had some incredible shit written for him, doesn't that make him no different than the constant string of pre-fab groups he's trying to put together?

Are you saying Play and/or Forever should be in the cannons of great hip hop records?
    music is the art form, not 'lyric writing'
    if a good album happens to be made by a ghostwriter, does it become a bad album?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    tired of this. she has enough classic (YES CLASSIC) material and is a big enough figure in the music to deserve these honors. she's sold more records than many of hte honorees and has made real quality hip-hop from day one.

Here's an argument that will make me real popular around here: she would deserve it more than Dilla (RIP)

without Timbaland there would be no missy, so really she should not have been honored. And again there are countless others that should have been honored before her.

• if a good album happens to be made by a ghostwriter, does it become a bad album?

Of course not, but I don't ever think Meet The Monkees is as dope as Abbey Road.