HIPHOP HONOURS - CRITIQUE

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    As I said on the show itself, it was listening to NWA???s ???Straight Outta Compton??? that inspired us to make ???Low-End Theory,??? and years later, I spoke to Dr. Dre and he told me that hearing ???Low-End Theory,??? inspired him to make ???The Chronic.??? That???s what music does. That???s what artists do, they seek out information, of all kinds.

that's whats up.

I love stories like this.

One of my favorite hip-hop interview moments (not mine, mind you) came when Hua Hsu spoke to Pos from De La for some URB special and Pos was talking about how listening to "Electric Relaxation" totally f*cked their heads up b/c they realized that the bar had been raised.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I remember exactly where I was when I first heard "Low End Theory."

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    I remember exactly where I was when I first heard "Low End Theory."

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    uuhhhhh....they gave Missy and Tribe "honors" at the same time? Sorry...I'm not shitting on Missy or anything....but ummmm....really? They've yet to give these "honors" to G Rap, De La, Biz....it went to Boyz N The Hood before it went to Wild Style. I mean - I know they need ratings and all....but wouldn't have it made more sense to give it to Timbaland than Missy??? I mean....who the fuck is running this shit?

And not to geek out too much - but it'd be kind of fresh to see them honor Roger Linn and some of the early drum machines and all that....get a bunch of producers to do some live shit on stage....school some of the people there.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    uuhhhhh....they gave Missy and Tribe "honors" at the same time? Sorry...I'm not shitting on Missy or anything....but ummmm....really? They've yet to give these "honors" to G Rap, De La, Biz....it went to Boyz N The Hood before it went to Wild Style. I mean - I know they need ratings and all....but wouldn't have it made more sense to give it to Timbaland than Missy??? I mean....who the fuck is running this shit?

To play devil's advocate here, it is Hip Hop Honors not "old school" or "new school honors" etc. So I see nothing wrong with them giving an award to Timbo and Missy who have both been pretty innovative and forward thinking with this here rap shit.

Had they given it to Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz or something then I woulda had a problem. I agree tho, there's a ton of other people who deserve to be mentioned.

And not to geek out too much - but it'd be kind of fresh to see them honor Roger Linn and some of the early drum machines and all that....get a bunch of producers to do some live shit on stage....school some of the people there.

That is truly

I didn't see any of the show. Somebody post some youtube clips por favor.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ...but wouldn't have it made more sense to give it to Timbaland than Missy???

Oh shit I just re-read this. So it was just Missy? In that case...uh...I don't think so.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    They shouldn't give that Frickin' glutton Missy Elliot shit! I thought at one point she might be bringing some good in the world, but Missy don't TIP! Years ago I was being a dumbass waiter and she was the Duchess of Frugal (pron. Frugaaaal). It wasn't just our place, she had that reputation alllll over here, and I think she had/has no shame about it.
    other waiting milestones,

Lawrence Taylor tipped me 40 bucks after asking me if the pasta sauce was Ragu (obviously he , solid dude)

Carl Banks was in terms of $ and cool factor

Ghostface dropped $20 on just a food run to the bar, my lone reward for walking peoples food for over a year and it was .

this shit just reminded me of how much she doesn't deserve nothin' especially on stage next to those who probably still got a little less.

She needs to keep her and her chocha locked up in her pocketbook with the rest of that shit.

I still might watch this even though she ends up sharing the stage with such beloved personalities, my tv hasn't strayed from Thirteen World since I got digital cable.

But have you ever watched a documentary

On weeed?

• They shouldn't give that Frickin' glutton Missy Elliot shit! I thought at one point she might be bringing some good in the world, but Missy don't TIP! Years ago I was being a dumbass waiter and she was the Duchess of Frugal (pron. Frugaaaal). It wasn't just our place, she had that reputation alllll over here, and I think she had/has no shame about it.
    other waiting milestones,

Lawrence Taylor tipped me 40 bucks after asking me if the pasta sauce was Ragu (obviously he , solid dude)

Carl Banks was in terms of $ and cool factor

Ghostface dropped $20 on just a food run to the bar, my lone reward for walking peoples food for over a year and it was .

this shit just reminded me of how much she doesn't deserve nothin' especially on stage next to those who probably still got a little less.

She needs to keep her and her chocha locked up in her pocketbook with the rest of that shit.

I still might watch this even though she ends up sharing the stage with such beloved personalities, my tv hasn't strayed from Thirteen World since I got digital cable.

But have you ever watched a documentary

On weeed?

Are you from Europe or know a dude named IDOX?

• I love seeing all the 30 something rappers acting like exited kids tryin to break in front of the old school legends.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Nope, sorry! This was in Woodbridge, NJ.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    show was shit.

Tribe and Whodini was cool, Missy and New Jack Swing being honored was Frickin' stupid.

THe only thing I can say about Missy is she was a ratings ploy and thats it. She shouldn't have been on there before 100s of other artists finally got some kind of due that they deserve...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    New Jack Swing being honored was Frickin' stupid.

Why shouldn't it be honored?

Maybe the presentation was weak, but why not
    give it an honor?

RAP and R&B = SAME MUSIC

• RAP and R&B = SAME MUSIC
    How so? And, isn't the Hip Hop honors?

anyway, just like the rest of them, this one disappointed.
    I always get hyped up to hear the OGs rip then they get a 45 second medley and they're out. It was cool to watch my little one try and break dance during the Whodini performance though.

New Jack Swing being honored was Frickin' stupid.

Why shouldn't it be honored?

Maybe the presentation was weak, but why not
    give it an honor?

RAP and R&B = SAME MUSIC

because if you are going to do hip-hop honors, honoring a style by the fourth one means they have already run out of ideas or are already adjusting it to meet the masses aka watering it down. Like I said above there are countless artists that deserve shine before they start going down the path of honoring different styles.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I thought Doug E Fresh was amazing. The crowd response he got showed how talented the old school dudes were. I personally liked the New Jack Swing section. Busta looked Busted. Couldn't understand a thing.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    All you guys aksing for who is responsible for this should ask Fab 5 Freddy. He is responsible for the show.

And if he honors Wild Style before Style wars it could be because he is in it ?!?!

I totaly agree with all your ideas from Roger Linn to all that classic 80s stuff.

I dont even want to call it Old School. Beacuse Old School to me is the phase from 74 - 83. The New School stepped in with Run DMC and "Sucker MCs". Thats when the sound started to change and everybody asked "who are these new jacks ???". I remember seeing Flash on TV hating on these "New School" acts.

I never understood why everybody is talking about Old School. To those dumb kids even songs from 2000 are Old School. All idiots !!!!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

NO.

Maybe the fusion of the two is so commonplace today and/or R&B was so eventually influenced by rap that it seems like it, but they stood on their own and in contrast to each other.

Are you really calling claasic era Public Enemy R&B music???

• HamHam 872 Posts

RAP and R&B = SAME MUSIC

NO.

Maybe the fusion of the two is so commonplace today and/or R&B was so eventually influenced by rap that it seems like it, but they stood on their own and in contrast to each other.

you sound european

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

RAP and R&B = SAME MUSIC

NO.

New Jack Swing may have been the first instance of a style of r&b that was influenced by a rap dynamic. But historically, the term r&b has pretty much always been shorthand for black pop music, whether that happens to be Big Joe Turner, the Bar-Kays, Luther Vandross, Mary J Blige or Usher.

NO.

you sound european

So, are you saying Public Enemy was R&B?

(I'm not european, btw.)

RAP and R&B = SAME MUSIC

NO.

New Jack Swing may have been the first instance of a style of r&b that was influenced by a rap dynamic. But historically, the term r&b has pretty much always been shorthand for black pop music, whether that happens to be Big Joe Turner, the Bar-Kays, Luther Vandross, Mary J Blige or Usher.

If it were the R&B honors then i could agree, its not though, hip-hop has never had a R&B sub classification. And yeh it may be semantics or word placement, but sayin though, the point of these awards are for hip-hop, not a general award show for all types of "black pop music".

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

RAP and R&B = SAME MUSIC

NO.

If it were the R&B honors then i could agree, its not though, hip-hop has never had a R&B sub classification. And yeh it may be semantics or word placement, but sayin though, the point of these awards are for hip-hop, not a general award show for all types of "black pop music".

Fair point. It might have made more sense to, say, acknowledge the likes of Kid Capri and Ron G, but then that might mean having to address the fact that, although he may have brought it to the masses, Puffy wasn't actually the inventor of "hip-hop soul".

• ^^^ wow the little poptart stays saying dumb shit.

and how many things are wrong with THIS photo:

who's the dude trying to undo Bustah's fly?

• ^^^ wow the little poptart stays saying dumb shit.

and how many things are wrong with THIS photo:

who's the dude trying to undo Bustah's fly?

Spliff Star?

And this Lupe character is sooo damn wack. It wasnt like I couldnt STAND dude before..just never cared for him, but now...FUCK DUDE. For real.

• I enjoyed parts of the show. Even though it's a little odd in their choices, it's still good to see this stuff on tv.

Yes, KRS One's award broke. Busy B picked it up.
    Daz flying up through the floor was awesome because it looked like it was too fast, like it shot him off the floor a bit. Why was Daz only a back up man?

To add to the Lupe Fiasco-gate:

He had an interview in Tokion about 2 years ago and he was asked how he feels about people comparing him to Native tongues and groups like The Pharcyde.

He said "to this day I have never listened to a Pharcyde song."

Some on this board may debate the Pharcyde's importance, but what kind of bubble do you live in where you've never heard Passin Me By? Or Yo Mama? Or Runnin? etc. People who don't even like rap know Passin Me By. The worst part is that he feels the need to claim he's NEVER heard them. Same with the tribe thing. Why would you say you've never heard Midnight marauders and don't plan on listening to it. He should be embarassed.

• on a side note, why was Daz on there at all? we are talking about Daz from the Dogg Pound right? I mean, did this guy really mean much to anyone as a rapper? Dogg Food was good, and his verses on the Snoop albums were always OK I guess, but Kurrupt was/is very obviously the real talent in that group rap-wise.

• but Kurrupt was/is very obviously the real talent in that group rap-wise.

no doubt.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

Some on this board may debate the Pharcyde's importance, but what kind of bubble do you live in where you've never heard Passin Me By? Or Yo Mama? Or Runnin? etc. People who don't even like rap know Passin Me By. The worst part is that he feels the need to claim he's NEVER heard them. Same with the tribe thing. Why would you say you've never heard Midnight marauders and don't plan on listening to it. He should be quitting rap[/b] now.

I'm not an elitist by any stretch of the imagination (okay, I am somewhat I guess), but dudes attitude towards tribe is ridiculous. Tribe, De La, Native Tongues, paved the way for his cornball act and he shows no respect. Just quit dude. There's a certain level of respect and understanding you need to have for you predecessors and it's obvious he doesn't have it. Hang up your mic, son.

• It's only been on for 30 min here.....

Missy tribute was good.

New Jack not so good yet.

T-Pain sucked. Is he always that bad live????

I'm sayin'. That New Jack Swing tribute was terrible. Teddy should have came out with Keith Sweat and done "I Want Her" and "Something Just Ain't Right" and then brought out the rest of Guy and done "Groove Me" and "Teddy's Jam." What the hell was he doing singing "No Diggity?" Wasn't that like a post New Jack track?

sod that, Keith should've come out with the Rythm Makers and done "Zone" and fucked 'em all off