HIPHOP HONOURS - CRITIQUE

Comments

• It's crazy to me that the all-over print phenomenon makes Busta's outfits look fairly tame.

• Bloated Busta

• The worst part is that he feels the need to claim he's NEVER heard them.

sounds like cats on here on some "i've never heard the beatles" n shit

• The worst part is that he feels the need to claim he's NEVER heard them.

Of course I have heard a Beatles song(several)..but never an album. Truth. I like a lot of their shit i've heard, though.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

4- Next year they need to make sure EPMD is in that class. Not only are they the most successful groups after Run + Whodini from that era, they broke more new artist than anyone else period.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The worst part is that he feels the need to claim he's NEVER heard them.

Or that time the one faux_rillz claimed never to have heard Nirvana.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    I'm going to assume Premier hasn't been honored yet.....there's another candidate.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

^^^ wow the little poptart stays saying dumb shit.

and how many things are wrong with THIS photo:

who's the dude trying to undo Bustah's fly?

Spliff Star?

And this Lupe character is sooo damn wack. It wasnt like I couldnt STAND dude before..just never cared for him, but now...FUCK DUDE. For real.

Yea, he really shouldn't have blown his ego like this. People goof up there own lyrics all the time so it really wouldn't have been that big of a deal if he just said "hey I was nervous, it was some one elses rap and I flubbed a line big deal". Instead he turned it into "fuck ATCQ!!!!" and that's not good.

• Some on this board may debate the Pharcyde's importance, but what kind of bubble do you live in where you've never heard Passin Me By? Or Yo Mama? Or Runnin? etc. People who don't even like rap know Passin Me By. The worst part is that he feels the need to claim he's NEVER heard them. Same with the tribe thing. Why would you say you've never heard Midnight marauders and don't plan on listening to it. He should be quitting rap[/b] now.

I'm not an elitist by any stretch of the imagination (okay, I am somewhat I guess), but dudes attitude towards tribe is ridiculous. Tribe, De La, Native Tongues, paved the way for his cornball act and he shows no respect. Just quit dude. There's a certain level of respect and understanding you need to have for you predecessors and it's obvious he doesn't have it. Hang up your mic, son.

It sounds like he is trying to imply that he came up with his whole style without any influence which is bullshit but who cares really dude is a cornball.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I dont even want to call it Old School. Beacuse Old School to me is the phase from 74 - 83. The New School stepped in with Run DMC and "Sucker MCs". Thats when the sound started to change and everybody asked "who are these new jacks ???". I remember seeing Flash on TV hating on these "New School" acts.

I never understood why everybody is talking about Old School. To those dumb kids even songs from 2000 are Old School. All idiots !!!!!

Don't be too harsh with people, F*l*, even Biz Markie once said in an interview "everybody has their own old school"...it's all a matter of growing up in certain times what decides about your "old school". I agree though that the "true" old school was before Run DMC came on.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

This dude has absolutely lost his mind. I'm still baffled at what "popular to me" means here. Some private mindgarden BS.

I still want to see some parts of the show, but I don't have cable and Viacom has the Youtube clips on lockdown.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

This dude has absolutely lost his mind. I'm still baffled at what "popular to me" means here. Some private mindgarden BS.

I still want to see some parts of the show, but I don't have cable and Viacom has the Youtube clips on lockdown.

cosign.

Though he does subscribe to the ever popular Soulstrut argument that Higher Sales = Higher Importance.

He may have listened to 8ball and MJG in the early 90s, but if he heard of and listened to them back then, then he probably would have listened to/heard some Tribe as well because neither was really mainstream like Hammer. Its weird because if he was outside of the south & Texas it would have taken him MORE effort to listen to 8Ball than tribe.

And How can he even say that 8Ball & MJG was better than Tribe if he never listened to Tribe? Dude is showing his ass.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    And seriously the dude was over rated to begin with so I don't understand why anyone is up in arms over this. Mediocre rapper at best.

• Phonte of the group Little Brother gleefully added fuel to the fire. "You fuckin up, my nig. Straight up and down,[/b]" Phonte posted on an Okayplayer message board. "What's even more amazing is the same cats on this site defending your arrogance and ignorance on this topic . . .you forgetting the lyrics to a classic song from a classic group on national television while paying tribute to them, the 2nd plane has officially hit the tower[/b]."

BREAKFACE!

My opinion on Lupe hasn't changed, he's got some cool songs and that's it. He's definetly Frickin' up though, majorly.

he's got some cool songs

A traveling band of misfits and outcasts
    Knock their heads from Misfits to Outkast
    A lot of scars, they did this without pads
    A lot of hearts, who did this without dads
    One's father was fithy rich, two was middle class, and one was homeless
    Add in a paralyzed girl in a wheelchair who just liked to watch it, that was the whole clique
    I think about it everytime I see this old flick
    That was taken in the park, in front of this old bench
    They wrote on the back, "You thank for push, kick, hope you make a video, the beat is so sick."
    Well, I did, I hope you seen it It's on MTV, Soundtrakk's a genius
    Love from Tony Hawk, beat from the Ice Creamer's
    Before we out it out had to pay the Filipinas
    Just to show 'em how...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The lyrical blunt has been officially extinguished.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I agree though that the "true" old school was before Run DMC came on.

Funnily enough, that's my personal "old school" cut-off point as well. The broad definition I use is "anyone whose first record came out before I started listening to rap is old-school", and I have a clear memory of copping "It's Like That"/"Sucker MCs" at the old Spin Inn store on Cross Street in Manchester a week or two after it came out.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Phonte of the group Little Brother gleefully added fuel to the fire. "You fuckin up, my nig. Straight up and down,[/b]" Phonte posted on an Okayplayer message board. "What's even more amazing is the same cats on this site defending your arrogance and ignorance on this topic . . .you forgetting the lyrics to a classic song from a classic group on national television while paying tribute to them, the 2nd plane has officially hit the tower[/b]."

Phonte is the man for calling dude out like this.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

TRIBE - IM STILL WATCHIN, BUSTA WAS GOOD - FUCK LUPE & PHARELL

Wow. What a tool.

Someone want to sum that up for me?

Well, based on secondhand accounts--since I'm not about to wade through a 500+ post OkayPlayer thread, either--Lupe flubbed a couple of lines on "Electric Relaxation," which wouldn't have been a big deal, except he tried to explain it away by claiming never to have heard Midnight Marauders. And then when people offered to hit him off with it, essentially said that he wasn't interested and would prefer to listen to Chris Brown and UNKLE.

Just an instance of a young person flouting their ignorance. Except I don't for a minute buy his claims of having grown up exclusively on Too Short and Eightball & MJG and never having listened to ATCQ. I have always had a strong sense that the guy didn't listen to much rap at all until recently and that Tribe was probably one of the few groups he actually did listen to growing up.

i dunno man. i buy it. i dont think i heard tribe till i was near 16 years old. Spice 1 though? that was big.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    on a side note, why was Daz on there at all? we are talking about Daz from the Dogg Pound right? I mean, did this guy really mean much to anyone as a rapper? Dogg Food was good, and his verses on the Snoop albums were always OK I guess, but Kurrupt was/is very obviously the real talent in that group rap-wise.

what the fuck? talk about showing ignorance? Daz Dillinger? Well lets see, he produced a couple albums you may have heard of. umm... tupac "all eyes on me"? Daz dillinger can sit at any hip hop honors just for the snare sound on ambitions of a ridah.

Man, if daz wasnt there for a Frickin' snoop dogg tribute it would be like phife not showing up for the tribe shit.

• on a side note, why was Daz on there at all? we are talking about Daz from the Dogg Pound right? I mean, did this guy really mean much to anyone as a rapper? Dogg Food was good, and his verses on the Snoop albums were always OK I guess, but Kurrupt was/is very obviously the real talent in that group rap-wise.

what the fuck? talk about showing ignorance? Daz Dillinger? Well lets see, he produced a couple albums you may have heard of. umm... tupac "all eyes on me"? Daz dillinger can sit at any hip hop honors just for the snare sound on ambitions of a ridah.

Man, if daz wasnt there for a Frickin' snoop dogg tribute it would be like phife not showing up for the tribe shit.

THANK YOU.

Dudes are all up in arms about Lupe but honestly people talk the same shit out of their asses every day on these sites. Regular shit.

• TRIBE - IM STILL WATCHIN, BUSTA WAS GOOD - FUCK LUPE & PHARELL

Wow. What a tool.

Well, based on secondhand accounts--since I'm not about to wade through a 500+ post OkayPlayer thread, either--Lupe flubbed a couple of lines on "Electric Relaxation," which wouldn't have been a big deal, except he tried to explain it away by claiming never to have heard Midnight Marauders. And then when people offered to hit him off with it, essentially said that he wasn't interested and would prefer to listen to Chris Brown and UNKLE.

Just an instance of a young person flouting their ignorance. Except I don't for a minute buy his claims of having grown up exclusively on Too Short and Eightball & MJG and never having listened to ATCQ. I have always had a strong sense that the guy didn't listen to much rap at all until recently and that Tribe was probably one of the few groups he actually did listen to growing up.

i dunno man. i buy it. i dont think i heard tribe till i was near 16 years old. Spice 1 though? that was big.

Tribe was ALL OVER Rap City and Yo! back in the day..if you were watching that shit back then, you couldnt have missed it. Plus their videos always stood out to me cause they were usually unique compared to the other shit. I am not saying Spice-1,Eiht,etc werent either..but I cant imagine not seeing/hearing Tribe shit back then(and I think were close to the same age, if I am not mistaken..born in '78.)

on a side note, why was Daz on there at all? we are talking about Daz from the Dogg Pound right? I mean, did this guy really mean much to anyone as a rapper? Dogg Food was good, and his verses on the Snoop albums were always OK I guess, but Kurrupt was/is very obviously the real talent in that group rap-wise.

THANK YOU.

Dudes are all up in arms about Lupe but honestly people talk the same shit out of their asses every day on these sites. Regular shit.

Well it's not that he's never heard the group or that he thinks other groups are better (although I'm not sure how he reconciles that position with supposedly never having heard them). It's his dogged insistence that he's not going to listen to them that I think is funny. Only something to get ass-hurt over if you had anything invested in the guy to begin with, though.

I suspect that the reason why so many people are scandalized is that they liked him for reasons that had little to do with his music, and his recent behavior has now undercut those reasons. If you're unimpressed by "positivity" or empty posturing about what's wrong with hip-hop, then the guy emerges as just another mediocre rapper.

And dudes should be embarassed to be hating on Daz.

TRIBE - IM STILL WATCHIN, BUSTA WAS GOOD - FUCK LUPE & PHARELL

Wow. What a tool.

You heard Spice 1 before you heard ATCQ--that's not the same as claiming to have never heard them (or one of their major albums).

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Diabeties really takes it's toll on your body so he might be going through a bad spell. Hope he snaps back!!!!

Unfortuantely, diabetes is one of those things that people don't really snap back from. Some days are better than others, but it's a pretty linear degradation of the body.

At least he's young enough that he probably hasn't developed neuropathy yet.

• the sad thing about this Hip Hop honors shit is that one day they'll be honoring Puffy.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    the sad thing about this Hip Hop honors shit is that one day they'll be honoring Puffy.

Puffy's already done more for hip hop than Missy ever will.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    the sad thing about this Hip Hop honors shit is that one day they'll be honoring Puffy.

What planet are u on?

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

Yeah, but damn he didn't do much after. Kinda sad really...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts