Whodini -

Snoop -

Tribe -

Finale -

Busta - please to make "roid rage" gremlin

Lupe -

Girls in gold pants -

Overall -

• Anyone else notice the guy in the crowd with the black tank top?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    New Jack -

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Anyone else notice the guy in the crowd with the black tank top?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Rasta Root
    is one of the nicest dudes I have ever met. I am happy to have read that he is doing this. This is too bad.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

TRIBE - IM STILL WATCHIN, BUSTA WAS GOOD - FUCK LUPE & PHARELL

Wow. What a tool.

Lupe showed his arse good and proper on that thread.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Wow. What a tool.

Someone want to sum that up for me?

Well, based on secondhand accounts--since I'm not about to wade through a 500+ post OkayPlayer thread, either--Lupe flubbed a couple of lines on "Electric Relaxation," which wouldn't have been a big deal, except he tried to explain it away by claiming never to have heard Midnight Marauders. And then when people offered to hit him off with it, essentially said that he wasn't interested and would prefer to listen to Chris Brown and UNKLE.

Just an instance of a young person flouting their ignorance. Except I don't for a minute buy his claims of having grown up exclusively on Too Short and Eightball & MJG and never having listened to ATCQ. I have always had a strong sense that the guy didn't listen to much rap at all until recently and that Tribe was probably one of the few groups he actually did listen to growing up.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Wow. What a tool.

Well, based on secondhand accounts--since I'm not about to wade through a 500+ post OkayPlayer thread, either--Lupe flubbed a couple of lines on "Electric Relaxation," which wouldn't have been a big deal, except he tried to explain it away by claiming never to have heard Midnight Marauders. And then when people offered to hit him off with it, essentially said that he wasn't interested and would prefer to listen to Chris Brown and UNKLE.

Just an instance of a young person flouting their ignorance. Except I don't for a minute buy his claims of having grown up exclusively on Too Short and Eightball & MJG and never having listened to ATCQ. I have always had a strong sense that the guy didn't listen to much rap at all until recently and that Tribe was probably one of the few groups he actually did listen to growing up.

Too much coast, not enough kick,push.

• Overall the best show so far.

A few observations-

1- Tribe before De La? Not a a good look

2- Missy tribute was dope, good match of performers, she didn't deserve it.

3- If 50 Cent wants to be viewed as anything other than a greedy bitch in need of a hug, he would cut a check to Caz and busy Bee. Not only would this be seen a s a positivee move for the pioneers, he'd ruffle Jay and Nas's feathers by saying" look what I did".

4- Next year they need to make sure EPMD is in that class. Not only are they the most successful groups after Run + Whodini from that era, they broke more new artist than anyone else period.

Wow. What a tool.

I wouldn't want to second-guess his taste, but nevertheless I'm not entirely convinced by Lupe Fiasco. He just strikes me as someone who's trying to position himself as a "conscious" rapper because he thinks that area of the market represents his best shot at finding a niche. Too much of what he does seems calculated to hit a particular set of buttons with the kind of people who don't care for mainstream/pop/MTV/kiddie [delete where applicable] rap, but who don't want to abandon rap altogether, yet what he's actually putting down really isn't anything special. Moreover, he doesn't appear to understand why it might be a bad look to act like it's a waste of your time getting familiar with arguably the finest artistic achievement of somebody you've just referred to as a friend. For a rapper who spends half his time on the mic telling everyone what's wrong with rap nowadays, you'd think he might want to look less like he was just piggybacking the whole event as a way to boost his visibility.

Wow. What a tool.

I wouldn't want to second-guess his taste, but nevertheless I'm not entirely convinced by Lupe Fiasco. He just strikes me as someone who's trying to position himself as a "conscious" rapper because he thinks that area of the market represents his best shot at finding a niche. Too much of what he does seems calculated to hit a particular set of buttons with the kind of people who don't care for mainstream/pop/MTV/kiddie [delete where applicable] rap, but who don't want to abandon rap altogether, yet what he's actually putting down really isn't anything special. Moreover, he doesn't appear to understand why it might be a bad look to act like it's a waste of your time getting familiar with arguably the finest artistic achievement of somebody you've just referred to as a friend. For a rapper who spends half his time on the mic telling everyone what's wrong with rap nowadays, you'd think he might want to look less like he was just piggybacking the whole event as a way to boost his visibility.

Well, I can't claim to know what he grew up listening to--but I think it's odd that I cannot detect any influence whatsoever in his music of the artists that he supposedly listened to exclusively, whereas I can hear a lot from artists whom he claims never to have heard. Based on interviews with the guy, I think he has a very limited set of reference points when it comes to rap and suspect that he grew up mostly listening to other music entirely. I think he's now grown self-conscious about the box that he built around himself.

But you're right that this is all speculation and is really tangential to his very poor behavior.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Wow. What a tool.

Well, I can't claim to know what he grew up listening to--but I think it's odd that I cannot detect any influence whatsoever in his music of the artists that he supposedly listened to exclusively, whereas I can hear a lot from artists whom he claims never to have heard. Based on interviews with the guy, I think he has a very limited set of reference points when it comes to rap and suspect that he grew up mostly listening to other music entirely.

I thought the whole spiel about growing up listening to Gangster rap was highly suspect as well.

Well, growing up I listened exclusively to Spice 1, so, you know, it's easy to understand how I ended up skating, making conscious rap, and riding for Unkle.

Wow. What a tool.

Well, I can't claim to know what he grew up listening to--but I think it's odd that I cannot detect any influence whatsoever in his music of the artists that he supposedly listened to exclusively, whereas I can hear a lot from artists whom he claims never to have heard. Based on interviews with the guy, I think he has a very limited set of reference points when it comes to rap and suspect that he grew up mostly listening to other music entirely.

I thought the whole spiel about growing up listening to Gangster rap was highly suspect as well.

Well, growing up I listened exclusively to Spice 1, so, you know, it's easy to understand how I ended up skating, making conscious rap, and riding for Unkle.

It relies on the assumption that he did everything in a vacuum, since his other interests--skateboarding, toy-collecting, etc.--would inevitably have put him into contact with people that listened to rap other than Spice 1.

It's so preposterous--as are his assumptions about who Tribe's audience was back then--that it suggests to me a fiction dreamt up by somebody that didn't listen to rap at all.

• 1- Tribe before De La? Not a a good look

this is the problem with this cornball show. VH1 wants to seem aware and concious and respectful of the "real" amid the candy garbage otherwise flooding the airwaves, blah, blah this is how VH1 wants to position itself. As the purveyer of grown-man, somewhat serious rap programming....and yet they still miss the mark. They can only take this little hip-hop tribute thing so far, i.e. at the end of the day they still gotta advance at least the somewhat recognizable faces of "old school" hip-hop to the viewers. Hence Tribe before De La (not to mention the absurdity of honoring either one of these two artists on an awards show supposedly geared toward "old school" hip-hop.

YALL MOFOS IS WATHCIN ERRYONE LOVES RAYMOND OR SOMETHIN

I have never watched that show. however, given the choice between said sight-unseen sitcom and VH1's cornball honors I may well have chosen the former.

but since I don't have cable and I get shit reception, I didn't see either.

• Busy B was amazing
    That New Jack Swing shit was totally uneccesarry and obviously seemed like a ploy for Puffy to big himself up and his boy.
    Busta Rhymes appearance was terrible. Roid-Rap!
    When Daz came up from the ground it was hilarious, everyone was like "huh...?"
    Keyshia Cole got a little gut happening.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

As MOST of the crowd was for most of the artists. I highly doubt the Becky's and the "my dad bought me these tickets for my Super Sweet 16" even knew who Busy B, GW Theodore, or even KRS for that matter were. I think they thought they were off to see a Missy Elliot concert.

• When Daz came up from the ground it was hilarious, everyone was like "huh...?"

As MOST of the crowd was for most of the artists. I highly doubt the Becky's and the "my dad bought me these tickets for my Super Sweet 16" even knew who Busy B, GW Theodore, or even KRS for that matter were. I think they thought they were off to see a Missy Elliot concert.

I can see that. It would of helped a lot if they would of mentioned dude and gave the crowd a run-down or something.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

I can see that. It would of helped a lot if they would of mentioned dude and gave the crowd a run-down or something.

That would have helped. My roommate and I had all SORTS of comments on this show. Busy B definitely rocked it, KRS looked like he freestyled, and Caz was on point.

The New Jack Swing segment wasn't TOO bad, but it could have been a lot better. Anyone else catch Jermaine Dupri break out into a 6-step? I officially can't hate on JD anymore.

I slept through Missy Elliot. Why was she honored anyhow?

• I slept through Missy Elliot. Why was she honored anyhow?

she was the hook for the younger viewers. and since she had an album like ten yrs ago she could be slotted into an "old school" hip hop tribute with somewhat of a straight face. what a joke. she sucks BTW.

• Wild Style before Style Wars? Pssshhh. If we are going to give Missy this shit...fuck it, I can name 20 other people/groups more deserving. Since Outkast is being debated in other threads right now, why not them? Shit..give it to the whole Dungeon Family..that'd be dope to get all them dudes in there. Honestly, I think it is too early for that..but again..Missy? Don't get me wrong..she's cool and all..just not YET. What about Common Sense? He been doing it for a long time now. Kool G. Rap?

Kool Moe Dee..my man, do some sit-ups..some running..something! Yikes!

Busta was wack and thought he'd do a good job. Too much yelling..couldnt even understand what the hell he was saying.

What lines did Lupe mess up? I don't think I saw his part. That dude seems like a real poseur. Someone post up his HOTTEST SONG..just so I can see what the hype is about dude.

If we are going to get into New Jack Swing/Missy/R&B type shit..mine as well do an electro tribute..that'd get me hyped.

And damn, I was buggin' over Phife. I couldnt believe that was him. I hope dude is okay.

But yeah, NOTHING will top Kane's routine last year. Dude killed it.

• oh yeah..

DE LA!

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    Wild Style before Style Wars? Pssshhh.
    I think they did Style Wars on the first one. i seem to remember that, at least they showed clips from it and had LEE act like he was painting during one of the performances

i agree on the EPMD for next show. ultramagnetic too maybe?

• Caz was the star for me. Give Coldcrush their props next year..

I have a feeling Biz will get his next year.

Even though the awards are all fucked up, I love watching these just to see the artists showing their love for other artists(Tip dancing,KRS and LL going off in other years).

• Wild Style before Style Wars? Pssshhh.
    I think they did Style Wars on the first one. i seem to remember that, at least they showed clips from it and had LEE act like he was painting during one of the performances

i agree on the EPMD for next show. ultramagnetic too maybe?

Really? Hmmm..I dont remember Style Wars getting awarded..I could be wrong, though.

Ultramag is not a bad suggestion, either.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Kool Moe Dee looked like The Penguin from Batman!
    Why was he wearing such an ill-fitting jacket?

• yeah Tip pretty much handled that the way it shoulda been handled. Lupe should never have picked up the mic and should damn sure never have been asked to be part of a ATCQ tribute or whatever it was.

yeah Tip pretty much handled that the way it shoulda been handled. Lupe should never have picked up the mic and should damn sure never have been asked to be part of a ATCQ tribute or whatever it was.

At least now the wool has been pulled from Young Phonics' eyes and he will shortly be trading in his Lupe Fiasco doll limited edition molded plastic figurine collection.

• As I said on the show itself, it was listening to NWA???s ???Straight Outta Compton??? that inspired us to make ???Low-End Theory,??? and years later, I spoke to Dr. Dre and he told me that hearing ???Low-End Theory,??? inspired him to make ???The Chronic.??? That???s what music does. That???s what artists do, they seek out information, of all kinds.

that's whats up.