VICK takes plea

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Morality is incredibly blurry. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be having this debate at all.

The only reason this thing resembles a debate is because you're making your ridiculous claim a hill to die on.

If the members of Academia can't determine clear cut morals how can the rest of us idiots do it??

This is just the type of logic that makes us idiots.

• Your double standard claim was also bizarre since there have been several notable athletes that have gone to prison or jail.

• MV is definitely a dumbass.

but what about hunting and all the old white men that like to shoot guns at animals and shit, they not only abuse and kill the animals, they eat'em or hang'em on the mantle and shit. i dunno or care, just sayin'.

but what about hunting and all the old white men that like to shoot guns at animals and shit, they not only abuse and kill the animals, they eat'em or hang'em on the mantle and shit. i dunno or care, just sayin'.

Aside from trophy hunting, hunting serves a purpose.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If I go hunting in your back yard and kill your dog I'm pretty sure I'm going to jail.

Aside from trophy hunting, hunting serves a purpose.

Serving a purpose doesn't make the shit right.

Personally i could give a fuck less, Dude is a dumbass no matter how u slice shit.

• If I go hunting in your back yard and kill your dog I'm pretty sure I'm going to jail.

If you fuckin' around in my yard jail time ain't what you need to be worried about.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• Poser guns.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I see you stick strictly to the Israeli-made firearms.

• I helped kick off this moral equivalency argument, and now that I'm back from work, and see what shit has come up, I figure I'll way back in.

Yes, I started to make the case that dog fighting can be a cultural idiosyncracy. And, no, I'm not saying that it is ALL southerners who are doing this. As I said before, and I will reiterate for those who missed it, this is MOST DEFINITELY A FRINGE ACTIVITY. But, given that the principles in this were all from the south, and the two NFL players who defended this as being not that bad (Clinton Portis and Emmitt Smith) are from MI and FL, respectively. Not to mention that cockfighting is still LEGAL in La, is vaguely legal in Oklahoma (as noted in a recent supreme court case), and more prevelant in the South than any other part of the country.

Is everyone at a dogfight or cockfight black? absolutely not. Does empirical evidence point to this being a southern phenomenon? to the eyes of this yankee, yes.

Back on the 'sport,' itself, I think where the boxing analogy is apt, is that there are MANY sports/activities/etc. throughout history, that are built around bloodlust. Primal, evil, HUMAN bloodlust. And, there is definitely a spectrum to these. This may not seem like a 'sport,' to many, but it comes from a sporting history, for better or worse. Fuck, Gladiators killing each other was a sport. That is our history; now, we have football, who are our modern day gladiators...

Boxing falls within that spectrum, football falls within that spectrum, and so does dogfighting; the former are both MUCH less barbaric than dogfighting, which has proven to be antiquated, and society has taken steps, obviously, to eliminate it. Therefore, in this day and age, THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION FOR DOGFIGHTING. Michael Vick deserves his punishment, and all ancillary NFL-sanctioned punishment that is coming to him.

But dogfighting comes from somewhere; from our cultural and sporting history, dating back centuries, and much more recently than we would care to admit. To fail to realize that in a rush to judgement is foolish and shortsighted.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    About two years ago a politician in Oklahoma proposed that Cockfighting be legal but only if they wore little boxing gloves on their feet instead of the usual razor sharp blades.

• If there's no justification, I see no problem rushing to judgment.

Maybe this is revealing my greater problem with the sports media (which I am a part of, for disclosure) in that it is lacking in context.

Judge Vick, and punish him. But, take the time to understand why this happened instead of yelling, "THINK OF THE POOR DOGGIES," and moving along.

Maybe this is revealing my greater problem with the sports media (which I am a part of, for disclosure) in that it is lacking in context.

Judge Vick, and punish him. But, take the time to understand why this happened instead of yelling, "THINK OF THE POOR DOGGIES," and moving along.

Dude, why do we need to understand why this happened?

No offense, but this is getting absurd...

I don't think it is absurd to look for cultural context to stories, especially when the laws of certain states and the statements of someone's defenders illustrate a pattern in judgement.

None taken; I think half the shit you say is absurd.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Humans volunteering to fight for entertainment is not that far from Cockfighting,DogFighting,and whatever "animal" you'd present.
    Its all sport whether legal or illegal.
    And dont think there's isnt illegal Human Fighting to the death.
    Vick fucked up, but for people to jump on a soapbox and apply their cultural/personal "rules" on cats outside of their "schtick" is suspect IMO.
    Mofos eat Dogs,Chickens,Snake,Frog,etc. Can u deem that "wrong"?
    Im not w/ torturing any living being - on paper - but I know im part and parcel to the global culture of pimpin living beings for sport/money/entertainment/etc.
    Cuttin down trees to Leather interior Suvs....its the game.

Ali is the Greatest.

Humans volunteering to fight for entertainment is not that far from Cockfighting,DogFighting,and whatever "animal" you'd present.

I disagree. Volunteering to sacrifice your well-being to get rewards (money) is different from being born into violent and vengeful surroundings, and knowing only that.

We need to draw lines somewhere, and MY[/b] values and common sense tell me that Dog fighting and killing, however way you wanna rationalize it, should not be tolerated. End of story.

I don't think it is absurd to look for cultural context to stories, especially when the laws of certain states and the statements of someone's defenders illustrate a pattern in judgement.

Whatever. I obviously don't care to stroke myself over retarded historical reflections like you do.

As for your weird pointing to statutes to prove your point, did you know that in New York it is illegal for a person to walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his or her pocket?

I disagree. Volunteering to sacrifice your well-being to get rewards (money) is different from being born into violent and vengeful surroundings, and knowing only that.

We need to draw lines somewhere, and MY[/b] values and common sense tell me that Dog fighting and killing, however way you wanna rationalize it, should not be tolerated. End of story.

The audience for DogFighting and Ultimate Fighting intersect.

Who's the the "we" were refering to? Middle Class anthropomorphasizing Americans or Spanish Bullfighting fans? Im w/ u on some ole "dont hurt living thangs" shit, but I dont wanna be a hypocrite.

Whatever. I obviously don't care to stroke myself over retarded historical reflections like you do.

As for your weird pointing to statutes to prove your point, did you know that in New York it is illegal for a person to walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his or her pocket?

I don't see this as masturbatory. Poorly written? maybe- funny thing about writing on message boards; usually done at work, or in front of the TV. And, I don't see this as retarded, but you can. Whatever...

Also, I don't think that pointing to laws is all that 'weird,' though that word choice certainly is. If you can point out the 'Repeal the Ice Cream Law!,' movement, i'll consider your ridiculous point validated. Until then, i'll stroke myself with my weird and retarded reasoning...

We need to draw lines somewhere, and MY[/b] values and common sense tell me that Doggy Style Sodomy and Team Dissention, however way you wanna rationalize it, should not be tolerated. End of story.

K.O.B.E. Beef Hamburger - Medium rare pleez..

I don't see this as masturbatory. Poorly written? maybe- funny thing about writing on message boards; usually done at work, or in front of the TV. And, I don't see this as retarded, but you can. Whatever...

Also, I don't think that pointing to laws is all that 'weird,' though that word choice certainly is. If you can point out the 'Repeal the Ice Cream Law!,' movement, i'll consider your ridiculous point validated. Until then, i'll stroke myself with my weird and retarded reasoning...

You really missed my point: There are all sorts of horrible laws that shouldn't be on the books, legalized cockfighting being one of them. By no means does an absurd law still on the books reflect the morals of society. Most reasonable people would agree that bloodsport, whether it be gladiators, cockfighting, and dogfighting, is something we've moved beyond as a society. Evidently, you want to understand how we got here, which is useless because we have decided that this stuff is wrong nowadays.

Most reasonable people would agree that bloodsport, whether it be gladiators, cockfighting, and dogfighting, is something we've moved beyond as a society. Evidently, you want to understand how we got here, which is useless because we have decided that this stuff is wrong nowadays.

Has society really moved beyond Bloodsport?

Who's the the "we" were refering to? Middle Class anthropomorphasizing Americans or Spanish Bullfighting fans? Im w/ u on some ole "dont hurt living thangs" shit, but I dont wanna be a hypocrite.

There's nothing hypocritical about approving mixed martial arts, and disapproving dogfighting (or dogkilling).

In Japan, although more limited now, people still smoke in restaurants and cafes; even though it's an obvious health hazard. In California or New York, this is unheard of now. The "West" is all about setting global standards in a way. As relatively affluent and industrialized citizens in CA/NY, our lives are significantly more complex than say someone with a slower lifestyle in other parts of the U.S. And their lives may be more complex than a developing country, where people's primary worries are looking for food and clean water.

Basically, I am saying we know better than "it's all the same".

You really missed my point: There are all sorts of horrible laws that shouldn't be on the books, legalized cockfighting being one of them. By no means does an absurd law still on the books reflect the morals of society. Most reasonable people would agree that bloodsport, whether it be gladiators, cockfighting, and dogfighting, is something we've moved beyond as a society. Evidently, you want to understand how
    we got here, which is useless because we have decided that this stuff is wrong nowadays.

Dude, your point is so shallow as to make my jaw drop.

Don't you get the fact that there are people who DO defend the right to dog and cock fight? That fight to keep those laws on the books.

So, your point about 'we know this is barbaric,' is nice, but there is a segment of the population that would disagree.

Not to mention, your horseshit 'absurd law,' argument...in a thread where people are arguing that there is no connection between dogfighting and boxing, you saw a clever tie between ice cream cones and cockfighting. your 'humor,' seems to be lost on my 'retarded,' mind.

Anyway, on a less screedy note, for an interesting look at cockfighting, read Burkhard Bilger's "Noodling for Flatheads," a collection of essays on southern customs. A great book, including an essay on those fighting to keep cockfighting legal in Louisiana. He is a talented writer, and is wonderfully nonjudgmental in his assessment of life in the South (he grew up in Oklahoma.)

Some of you may be interested...For Mike Seiver though, there must be some "believe it or not! Silly Laws for Silly folks,' book geared towards the 10 year old set.

• Most reasonable people would agree that bloodsport, whether it be gladiators, cockfighting, and dogfighting, is something we've moved beyond as a society. Evidently, you want to understand how we got here, which is useless because we have decided that this stuff is wrong nowadays.

Has society really moved beyond Bloodsport?

Related to what we're talking about in this thread, dog fighting, the answer is clearly yes. But I will never forget Jean Claude van Damme's buns.

There's nothing hypocritical about approving mixed martial arts, and disapproving dogfighting (or dogkilling).

In Japan, although more limited now, people still smoke in restaurants and cafes; even though it's an obvious health hazard. In California or New York, this is unheard of now. The "West" is all about setting global standards in a way. As relatively affluent and industrialized citizens in CA/NY, our lives are significantly more complex than say someone with a slower lifestyle in other parts of the U.S. And their lives may be more complex than a developing country, where people's primary worries are looking for food and clean water.

That's some Holier than Thou bullshit, friend. "More Complex"?
    I dont wanna morph this into Us vs them. Im just sayin u have to include yourself in the critique of "pimpin animals" whether human or other.

You really missed my point: There are all sorts of horrible laws that shouldn't be on the books, legalized cockfighting being one of them. By no means does an absurd law still on the books reflect the morals of society. Most reasonable people would agree that bloodsport, whether it be gladiators, cockfighting, and dogfighting, is something we've moved beyond as a society. Evidently, you want to understand how
    we got here, which is useless because we have decided that this stuff is wrong nowadays.

Dude, your point is so shallow as to make my jaw drop.

Don't you get the fact that there are people who DO defend the right to dog and cock fight? That fight to keep those laws on the books.

So, your point about 'we know this is barbaric,' is nice, but there is a segment of the population that would disagree.

Holy fuck are you stupid! Do you honestly think these people even exceed a small fraction of the population?!

• Well, I didn't think holy-fucking-stupidity warranted 4 facemelts exactly.

And, for someone so intelligent, I would have thought that you might have caught the two previous times in this thread I talked about how this is a 'FRINGE CULTURE,' on the margins of society.

I'll let you go find those; might be good for you. Like a maze in that Highlights magazine you probably dig...

Oh, and get this on your next book order, teach:

That's some Holier than Thou bullshit, friend. "More Complex"?
    I dont wanna morph this into Us vs them. Im just sayin u have to include yourself in the critique of "pimpin animals" whether human or other.

Complex as in we have more resources (notably information) at our disposal to ponder about value systems.

I don't understand what you mean by "pimpin animals". It's not about pimpin' or tossin' or whatever. It's about KILLING that bothers people the most. Killing not through fly-fishing for recreation, but killing "man's best friend" (something with a lot more meaning to most people than say a guppy; sorry guppy) through drowning, electrocuting, and slamming onto the ground. Dogs usually aren't killed intentionally, and especially in this manner.