VICK takes plea

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

saying. this whole fiasco has the unseen hand of lizardoid PETA all over it. just ask yourself: who profits?

id say the animals who would have been killed profit by not being dead or abused by a scumbag fucktard.

no doubt. I was kididng.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Caring too much about animals is soft. Vick should get a moderate fine at most.

snore.

poking a hornet's nest in an ebay thread is entertaining. this is juvenile.

I can't cosign on Rey's blase-ness but I do think there's a double-standard operating here. I'm certainly not defending dog fighting or Vick's culpability in this particular operation but like I said, athletes have gotten away with all kinds of dirt and kept their careers. I think our society tends to go nuts when it comes to dog cruelty but practically don't bat an eye at a lot of other shit that happens to, you know, people.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

snore.

Don't tell me you're soft, too!

I ain't gonna tell you shit, son.
    Now, run along.
    I can't take you seriously in light of your soft spot for dogs.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    First move he makes following prison time:

2009 Canadian Football League's Most Outstanding Player award and Grey Cup champion with the Toronto Argonauts.

• athletes have gotten away with all kinds of dirt and kept their careers.

No one is taking his career away though. Given what he was facing, Vick is gonna skate as far as prison time. A hefty suspension from the NFL is fitting given how they've run their business in the PacMan/Goodell era. His lack of true QB skills and diminished athleticism in the years away are what might keep him from returning.

Vick should run his "organization" like Ray Ray. That dude KILLED a dude and got away w/ it by putting it on his homies. Allegedly.

• Caring too much about animals is soft. Vick should get a moderate fine at most.

snore.

I can't cosign on Rey's blase-ness but I do think there's a double-standard operating here. I'm certainly not defending dog fighting or Vick's culpability in this particular operation but like I said, athletes have gotten away with all kinds of dirt and kept their careers. I think our society tends to go nuts when it comes to dog cruelty but practically don't bat an eye at a lot of other shit that happens to, you know, people.

I agree with this 100%, but found this a much more appropriate jumping off point than Rey's nonsense.

This is obviously a horrible act; and Vick deserves to be punished. But, I have found the hew and cry about dog fighting way over the top. It feels like the media is trying too hard to take this seriously, lest they look like Rey. So, suddenly, this is the worst crime ever committed, and the myriad episodes of spousal abuse in the NFL become truly blase.

I also think there IS a cultural/racial element at work, where many people don't understand a culture that condones dog fighting. Rather than even ATTEMPTING to understand where that behavior may come from, there is a rush to condemn and villify.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So do u still think this doesnt affect the NFL product? GP.

• So do u still think this doesnt affect the NFL product? GP.

Of course not.

It affects weekday news shows on ESPN and such who blahblahblah about it too much but it doesn't affect my anticipation of the season one iota.

I saw some dude rocking a Vick jersey in line at the bank Saturday.
    He looked nervous.
    Jackass.
    What's the appropriate reaction to that?
    Is it anyone's place to say anything?

"Yo, where did you get that?" I can put this next to my OJ,Len Bias, and John Rocker gear.

Of course not.

Will teams slack a little when playin against Atlanta?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Of course not.

You're saying they don't already do that?

Of course not.

You're saying they don't already do that?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

snore.

I agree with this 100%, but found this a much more appropriate jumping off point than Rey's nonsense.

This is obviously a horrible act; and Vick deserves to be punished. But, I have found the hew and cry about dog fighting way over the top. It feels like the media is trying too hard to take this seriously, lest they look like Rey. So, suddenly, this is the worst crime ever committed, and the myriad episodes of spousal abuse in the NFL become truly blase.

I also think there IS a cultural/racial element at work, where many people don't understand a culture that condones dog fighting. Rather than even ATTEMPTING to understand where that behavior may come from, there is a rush to condemn and villify.

im not very enlightened to the world of dog fighting besides what ive read and seen but which culture(s) think dog fights are okay? i really have no idea and am curious.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    which culture(s) think dog fights are okay?

who cares? they're wrong.

Like Boxing?

• which culture(s) think dog fights are okay?

Like Boxing?

All cultures know boxing is cool.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

i agree theyre wrong im just curious as to potna deuces info. i have relatives in the phillipines who do this on a regular basis but i dont think its legal.

The ones that aren't soft.

Anyone ever eat dog?

Anyone ever eat dog?
    I would.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Like Boxing?

Boxing involves humans who have agreed to get in the ring. Dogs, roosters, etc are not given a choice.

I have found the hew and cry about dog fighting way over the top. It feels like the media is trying too hard to take this seriously, lest they look like Rey. So, suddenly, this is the worst crime ever committed, and the myriad episodes of spousal abuse in the NFL become truly blase.

This is not just about dog-fighting, it is about a man who beat, electrocuted, drowned and hung dogs that did not perform to his liking. What would be an appropriate reaction that you would not deem to be over the top?

What do you think is the racial element? Is there a race that fights dogs MORE than another and is prone to cruelty to animals? And unless you are speaking about violent macho culture, then I am not sure which culture you are refering to either. Dog fighting happens all over the world - from Japan to Russia, Afghanistan to England.

I understand why violence against humans is brought up, namely domestic abuse; perhaps the imbalance in media attention and public outcry has more to do with the lack of importance and silent acceptance of violence against women and children within the home rather than more importance put on dog cruelty. And as far as the amount of attention paid to this (operating on the 'more media attention = more important' model), it is quite possible that victims of violence in the home and those of sexual assault, etc. do not want to go through the public ordeal of laying charges, a trial, etc. - so it stays out of police stations and courts to avoid the media glare and prolonging the nightmare.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Dude will figure out the difference between PETA and PETER real quick.

He's fucked either way.

• It certainly appears that there are those in this country that think dogfighting and cockfighting are okay. hell, cockfighting is still legal (barely) in Louisiana.

I'm not condoning this; but, there are places, seemingly those in the South, where this exists as a way of life. It is a fringe element, but seemingly, in significant enough number to warrant actual discussion over knee jerk reaction.

Like Boxing?

Boxing involves humans who have agreed to get in the ring. Dogs, roosters, etc are not given a choice.

What about Siamese fighting fish? Are they coaxed by humans or is it nature?

Animal Planet has animal fights as entertainment right?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Like Boxing?

Saying - these kinds of arguments lead down a pretty slippery slope. If cockfighting is bad then can anyone reasonably defend the poultry industry?

Obviously, we make all kinds of moral distinctions that are to our convenience (I am not a vegetarian, for example) but to use the example above, watching two adults slug it out in the boxing ring creates the same kind of attraction as watching a bunch of dogs bite it out. The agency of the participants may not be equal but I don't think it's a stretch to compare the two.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    It certainly appears that there are those in this country that think dogfighting and cockfighting are okay. hell, cockfighting is still legal (barely) in Louisiana.

I'm not condoning this; but, there are places, seemingly those in the South, where this exists as a way of life. It is a fringe element, but seemingly, in significant enough number to warrant actual discussion over knee jerk reaction.

dude the south as a whole is pretty broad to consider it as a place where its condoned. I lived there for years and never came in contact with dog fighting and I knew some backwoods folks that you would probably assume would be ok with it. I can guarantee if you had lived there a vast majority of the people would be against it.

Lets try again.

where exactly is it looked on as ok?

• This is not just about dog-fighting, it is about a man who beat, electrocuted, drowned and hung dogs that did not perform to his liking.

How is this at all similar to spousal abuse?

Imagine the outcry if he electrocuted, drowned, and hung his wife. I'm sure it would eclipse all this.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

This is not just about dog-fighting, it is about a man who beat, electrocuted, drowned and hung dogs that did not perform to his liking.

Imagine the outcry if he electrocuted, drowned, and hung his wife. I'm sure it would eclipse all this.

You think Vick will hang a picture of O.J. in his cell??

Just sayin......

This is not just about dog-fighting, it is about a man who beat, electrocuted, drowned and hung dogs that did not perform to his liking.

It is not. I am saying it is more than a dog-fighting issue.

I did not bring up the spousal abuse comparison, I responded to it later in my post though.