MALE VARUCA SALT SOUL COLLECTOR

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
So a 14 year old kid just came in here with his dad, and a wantlist of RARE soul LPs. He demanded that I produce rare soul LPs for him and was uninterested in anything worth less than $150. 14 YEARS OLD! The kid tossed Al Green "Back Up Train" on Bell aside and requested that I produce the original on Hot Line. He grimaced when I said I didn't have it. He smirked at my recommendation of Alice Clark and rejected "The Articulate Artistics" on Brunswick but claimed to need "Gotta Get My Hands On Some Loving" on Okeh. The Ambassadors. Freddy Butler. Wanted: One Soul Singer. I have never been so absolutely flabbergasted in my life. The kid, in a haughty, condescending tone, informed me that he had exhausted his home area of its rare soul records.It is indeed something, that a 14 year old kid could win the award for WEIRDEST RECORD STORE CUSTOMER and BIGGEST ASSHOLE IN A RECORD STORE simultaneously.The kicker? They came from Canada. What do yall put in the water up there???

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The future of record collecting?

• The future of record collecting?

I shudder to think.

Dad: "All day, all day, the packages they come..."

The internet must be stopped.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    obscure_addict?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    obscure_addict?

• Marcofunk's cousin?

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Thats damn funny. Dude should just stay at home and try and go toe to toe with the likes of Marcofunk and Japanese collectors on ebay.....
    I'm still buggin that he was 14!!!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

The internet must be stopped.

• THIS IS WHAT I DEAL WITH. IT'S NOT FUNNY.

"Are those all the soul records you have? I have a complete collection of releases on the Tamla label."

• J, chances are you will see his collection trickle back into your store in five years. Sounds like a fad.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    14 year old kid

record collecting prodigy

• No way - this is serious mental illness.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I've seen kids like this - usually they want Beatles stuff tho - Beatles pressings from many lands.

how can you understand soul if you just sprouted your first pube last week?

---

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    much more importantly, wtf is wrong with that dad? say the family is loaded and $ is no problem. Ok, fine, but this is just another version of the classic spoiling your kid rotten story, taken to a sick extreme - plus the 'wtf' of choosing rare soul records instead of PS3s and iphones. A read dad would get the kid hyped on the MUSIC and would help him put together an affordable, FUN collection. Hed be stoked to find VG- soul 45's. i suspect the dad is just using the 'helping his son' angle to feed his own rare record jones.

• The look in this kid's eyes had to be seen to be believed. He was obsessed and angry with the non-raers in the shop and basically foaming at the mouth. We tried to interest him in Alice Clark, but apparently it wasn't on his list of rare records he compiled from the internet and dude looked at me like I had just offered him a pile of flaming dog shit.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It sounds like pretty normal behavior to me.

• 14 year old kid

record collecting prodigy

and like prodigies in all other ultra-competitive, ruthless dog-eat-dog industries (tennis, chess, acting, etc.),

chances are this little collector will be washed up and in rehab in six years. Sad : (

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    He'll be back when Popsike goes back up, and
    he realizes Alice Clark is a $200 record ...

• No I'm pretty sure the son has a serious disorder that may be undiagnosed at this point but his collecting habits, his attitude, and his mannerisms all suggested it. Only thing the dad had to do with it was to hand over the money. There is another kid like this only he is into psych and now he is 27. He has serious issues and is banned from most stores including mine. These parents are just trying to make the kids happy but they end of handicapping them from ever having a normal life. This kid should be out trying to kiss girls or at least throwing eggs at houses or playing baseball or going bowling or getting the band back together or playing magic the gathering. Not worrying about a complete Tamla discography or fretting that his collection won't be sufficient without the Hot Line issue of "Back Up Train".

Problems that records can't cure.

• i suspect the dad is just using the 'helping his son' angle to feed his own rare record jones.

Sounds more like Divorced Father Syndrome.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Problems that records can't cure.

• This dude is like Vinyl: THE PREQUEL

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

salty teenage soul kids is the future
    canadian kids got taste and soul
    u must deal

whaddup postin from the barber chair like what

sean on a buying trip for you? what is he into?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    This dude is like Vinyl: THE PREQUEL

If you ever see this kid again, you should taunt him by saying that all the real soul music is on 45, and that no true collector of soul would settle for a collection of tepid albums. Be sure to have your camera on hand for when his head implodes.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    He picked up that ambassadors? I'm pissed I didn't buy that in July. Sounds like he might be interested in my newly made marvin smith "who'll do your running now" ashtray because i'm guessing to him thats all it'd be worth.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I see you've met my cousin and uncle.

I told him to swing by your shop and they were all excited but it sounds like he caught you on an off day.

Why didn't you show him any Modern stuff?

• Aaron - I thought of telling him that. He didn't look at 7"s at all.

• I see you've met my cousin and uncle.

I told him to swing by your shop and they were all excited but it sounds like he caught you on an off day.

Are you for real?

He didn't ask for any modern stuff - everything he asked for was 60s. I wouldn't have even thought to recommend anything modern.

And hopefully I caught him on an off day. The kid was a little snot.

• I see you've met my cousin and uncle.

Are you for real?

He didn't ask for any modern stuff - everything he asked for was 60s. I wouldn't have even thought to recommend anything modern.

And hopefully I caught him on an off day. The kid was a little snot.

This is too much.
    Nate, rare record afficionado, has a cousin who is even more demanding about demanding "the rare"?

Hilarious, or ??

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    News Flash: That WAS "Marco Funk"!!!!!!!!!!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    So a 14 year old kid just came in here with his dad, and a wantlist of RARE soul LPs. He demanded that I produce rare soul LPs for him and was uninterested in anything worth less than $150. 14 YEARS OLD! The kid tossed Al Green "Back Up Train" on Bell aside and requested that I produce the original on Hot Line. He grimaced when I said I didn't have it. He smirked at my recommendation of Alice Clark and rejected "The Articulate Artistics" on Brunswick but claimed to need "Gotta Get My Hands On Some Loving" on Okeh. The Ambassadors. Freddy Butler. Wanted: One Soul Singer. I have never been so absolutely flabbergasted in my life. The kid, in a haughty, condescending tone, informed me that he had exhausted his home area of its rare soul records.

It is indeed something, that a 14 year old kid could win the award for WEIRDEST RECORD STORE CUSTOMER and BIGGEST ASSHOLE IN A RECORD STORE simultaneously.

The kicker? They came from Canada. What do yall put in the water up there???