MALE VARUCA SALT SOUL COLLECTOR

13»

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    This thread is depressing. Johnny you need to be on some Soul Nazi tip - No Soul for you! Now I want to sell all my soul records except for Anita Baker and maybe Alexander O'Neal.

• This thread is depressing. Johnny you need to be on some Soul Nazi tip - No Soul for you!

I did this when I yanked Johnnie Taylor out from his hands. It was liberating.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This thread is depressing. Johnny you need to be on some Soul Nazi tip - No Soul for you!

I did this when I yanked Johnnie Taylor out from his hands. It was liberating.

Ha ha, I'm just picturing that.

How much did this kid end up copping? A big stack or just a few select pieces?

• The kid attempted to haggle on a $20 record and I told him good day. At a certain point I became disinterested in selling records to him.

• The kid attempted to haggle on a $20 record and I told him good day. At a certain point I became disinterested in selling records to him.

You need a new court jester.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Wouldn't you think that if people can get it all together that easily, they would have done so already?

nope.
    some parents just cant parent.

yea, but a lot of times similar personal characteristics and values are passed down from generation to generation. It's a vicious cycle. Cosmobaker I think put it best when the VT shooting happened, something along the lines of "These shootings were horrific and I'm not defending this shit, but I can't even begin to imagine the nightmare that this Asian kid was living."

You might not approve of many things, but you can't really blame anybody for how they were raised and what their capabilities and values are as a result. Some things were beyond their control to begin with.

Not trying to make a big deal, but I never wanna just pass judgement for such a trivial ass matter, unless it's some dude on the freeway going 90 and cutting people off left and right. In which case, he's harming others' lives and so that makes him a jerkoff.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    That's sad. I had a similar thing when I was working in my girls shop this weekend - young girl, gorgeous, about 16 flounces in and looks around with disdain. I start chatting with her nice and relaxed like and she just doesn't seem to respond. Like the lights are on but noone's home. So she finally starts talking about how her dad gave her all this money ($500) to go shopping for the day. I was like "Woah, that's awesome!" and she just gets even more depressed. It blew me away, here's someone with pretty much everything and all it did was make her upset. She was the most sad person I've met all year, and no amount of $$$$ could change that.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This reminds me of a son and father I see at one of the shops I go to...the son has Asperger's (a form of autism). He gets very unhappy when he cannot find the exact record he is looking for or when he is given a limit to how many his dad will buy for him. He knows what he already has, what pressing, where it is in the house, how much it cost, when and where they bought it, etc. First time I heard them, I could not believe how demanding the son was and that the dad was letting his kid talk to him so rudely. The more time went by (and some info from the store owner), the more clear it became there was more going on.

• This reminds me of a son and father I see at one of the shops I go to...the son has Asperger's (a form of autism). He gets very unhappy when he cannot find the exact record he is looking for or when he is given a limit to how many his dad will buy for him. He knows what he already has, what pressing, where it is in the house, how much it cost, when and where they bought it, etc. First time I heard them, I could not believe how demanding the son was and that the dad was letting his kid talk to him so rudely. The more time went by (and some info from the store owner), the more clear it became there was more going on.

That sounds exactly like DAMIEN, this kid from NJ that a lot of the psych dealers know. But it could be these folks... only they were from Montreal.

What kind of music was he buying?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This reminds me of a son and father I see at one of the shops I go to...the son has Asperger's (a form of autism). He gets very unhappy when he cannot find the exact record he is looking for or when he is given a limit to how many his dad will buy for him. He knows what he already has, what pressing, where it is in the house, how much it cost, when and where they bought it, etc. First time I heard them, I could not believe how demanding the son was and that the dad was letting his kid talk to him so rudely. The more time went by (and some info from the store owner), the more clear it became there was more going on.

That sounds exactly like DAMIEN, this kid from NJ that a lot of the psych dealers know. But it could be these folks... only they were from Montreal.

What kind of music was he buying?

He's into classic rock and 50s/60s male vocalists. I got the feeling he buys what he hears on the radio.

• OK, that is a THIRD (assuming the kid in my shop Sat was the 2nd) record collecting demon child with aspergers.

Someone should commission a study

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    only they were from Montreal.

I see you met my little brother

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    OK, that is a THIRD (assuming the kid in my shop Sat was the 2nd) record collecting demon child with aspergers.

Certainly seems to support the idea that for some, collecting fulfills some basic ( or not so) psychological needs. I think Fresh Air just had an interview with a Wash Post writer who wrote a book on growing up with Aspergers

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I saw a mentally disturbed 20-something record collector at a shop the other day - he kept asking for the same record over and over and over...

"Do you have 7th Wonder on Parachute?"

"Sorry we don't have that right now"

a few minutes would pass & he would ask again.

"Do you have 7th Wonder on Parachute?"

"No"

he must have asked half-a-dozen times.

eventually he bought a Mary J Blige lp & left.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    OK, that is a THIRD (assuming the kid in my shop Sat was the 2nd) record collecting demon child with aspergers.

Certainly seems to support the idea that for some, collecting fulfills some basic ( or not so) psychological needs. I think Fresh Air just had an interview with a Wash Post writer who wrote a book on growing up with Aspergers

Tim Page--he has a piece about his experience dealing with Asperger's in this week's New Yorker.

I once worked with somebody who I was convinced suffered from it--reading Page's piece reconvinced me of that diagnosis.

• Jonny, let me tell you- i'm no expert on it but that aspergers schitt is some deep schitt. My wife's best friend has a 10 yr old son with aspergers and his thing is trains. OBSESSED with trains. he is so into trains that even at his tender young age on 10 this lil dude gets aroused at the sight of trains... i kid you not. he has been caught more than a few times whacking off in the kitchen with company right in the next room while looking at pictures of railroad trains. Like I said, i'm no expert on this schitt but they tell me this is common for people with aspergers.
    So if you see any peculiar looking stains in the 60's soul section of your shoppe... well, i'm just sayin' be on the lookout whenever that kid pays you a visit

• So if you see any peculiar looking stains in the 60's soul section of your shoppe... well, i'm just sayin' be on the lookout whenever that kid pays you a visit
    Supah soak dat soul.

• Superpoaster has a track called "werd to waja records"?

Since when do people make tracks as an ode to an ultra minor free jazz label...

• Amazingly, the father of a local kid - who comes by asking for Beatles records for his teenage son - just asked me if it was "OK" to bid on a $580-and-climbing early misprint issue of The White Album.

WTF!

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Have you thought of the possibility that maybe the kid and the dad collect together?I'm just saying cuz I've seen that happen with stamps. But still that kid sounded like an annoying little brat. I would of tried to get rid of some records with him or made him believe something was rare.

• This is an old thread but the dad was not collecting.

But damn, you're right, I totally should've tried to sell him some records. I never think of this shit on time!

• i dont want my son to EVER be like what youre describing here but i still smile to think of my son collecting records alongside his dad..