MF Doom show in SF last night (fraud related)

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
So I ended up being the opening DJ for the MF Doom show at the Independent last night. The show started off just fine--I played, Pigeon John played, I did another half-hour or so after Pigeon John, everything went along smoothly--then Doom took the stage. Or rather, "Doom" took the stage. That dude with the mask and the mic was:1) lip-synching2) not actually MF DoomThe only thing that was actually live about the show was the hypeman's mic. Everything else ran straight off a recording, and fake Doom pretended to rap and walked up and down the stage doing rapper hands. He faked his way through a set of about 20 minutes, walked off the stage, and jetted out the back door.For this, people paid $28. They were fucking pissed, booing and throwing bottles onstage and shit. I would be, too. I ended up jumping back on again because, well, somebody had to do something.There's supposed to be another show tonight, in part because last night's show sold out so quickly. I'm not totally sure it's going to happen, though. As of right now, it is, and if it is, then I'll go play it, but I damn sure ain't gonna be hyping dude up on the mic. Unless I can do some finger-quotes action like:We got "MF Doom" in the house, and he's going to be "performing" "live" on stage!

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    DUDE! I literally just heard about that shit 5 minutes ago. SHADY STUFF. If anyone is planning on going tonight call the venue first, there's talk of the show being cancelled.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    haha! that's ridiculous. i'm glad i didn't go. someone should've rushed the stage and pulled his mask off mexican wrestler style.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i hear they canceled the next show (per someone at ryhmesayers). when i saw him it was doom on the mic but i heard he does have a stand in - mf grimm (?) sometimes....

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    i heard he does have a stand in - mf grimm (?)

fucked up joke, holmes. grimm is in a wheelchair.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Maybe that was the point of using a mask since day one and we just now discover about it...Think about it : dude can send any fat bastard to do the show for him and he can stay at home to watch some DVDs. Purfect. Genuine.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

"MCs you's a stand-in/leave him hanging like if I don't know where his hand's been."

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

nah, wasn't a joke, i heard this a long time ago. didn't realize dude was in a chair though. damn since 94 too. still i heard that doom does this sometimes. funny shit but a rip off for those who paid out the ass to see him

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    I heard this was the case at Rock the Bells too!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

He's actually booked for Rock the Bells this weekend, too. In speaking with some of the venue staff afterward, we started piecing things together a bit, and it did seem shady that he was doing side shows in town before RTB. Like, wouldn't you expect the contract for a show like RTB to have some sort of exclusivity clause?

• cascas 1,484 Posts

He's actually booked for Rock the Bells this weekend, too. In speaking with some of the venue staff afterward, we started piecing things together a bit, and it did seem shady that he was doing side shows in town before RTB. Like, wouldn't you expect the contract for a show like RTB to have some sort of exclusivity clause?

so they knowingly booked a imposter artist? has rhymesayers said anything? i actually saw doom live a few years back and it was far from an impressive show. he just had his little instant replay up there and stood in one place mashing on the buttons when it was time for a new song. i'm a big doom fan, but his live show leaves a lot to be desired. the crowd ends up doing half the songs on their own.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    not surprising...dude is well known for being one of the shadiest people in the rap industry.

• I heard he didn't show in Pamona. Based on this I skipped LA. Now I'm really glad I did if this is really true.

How do you know it was an imposter and it wasn't Doom lipsynching?

Either way that would be a huge dissapointment, considering that on a good night Doom sounds better live than on record. This was demonstrated to me at the Mad villain release show.

Kinda weak even if it was him. I wouldn't want to pay $30 to see someone dance over their own record.

• Wait...was this impostor Doom wearing Stan Smiths and a matching green Seersucker jacket?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

so they knowingly booked a imposter artist? has rhymesayers said anything? i actually saw doom live a few years back and it was far from an impressive show. he just had his little instant replay up there and stood in one place mashing on the buttons when it was time for a new song. i'm a big doom fan, but his live show leaves a lot to be desired. the crowd ends up doing half the songs on their own.

one question castrato: why do you hate on one of the freshest MCs of his generation? does he not sound enough like Peedie Crack for you?

• Didn't Man...Or Astroman? send off like 4 different bands posing as different versions of themselves on tour all at the same time? I remember hearing there was an all female version and a robot version.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    haha. i was just doing a search to find out some more info and came across this on craigslist

----------
    On wednesday night at the Independent in San Francisco. MF Doom lipsync to a 12 min set to shitty audio and left everybody hanging. It may not have really been him actually. People were saying it didn't look like him he was too skiny to be him. He wore a mask and was hiding his mouth with the mic. He cut after only 12 minutes 4 songs! He was headlining the show everyone was pissed off in disbelief booing and chanting refund. I checked other message boards and he's done this in LA last weekend. He's performing again Thursday night again at the Independent. Don't support that lazy bastard!

You've been warned!

p.S That jamacian girl from N.Y I was speaking with at the show if you read this please get back to me. I really liked you.[/b]
    ----------

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    i actually saw doom live a few years back and it was far from an impressive show. he just had his little instant replay up there and stood in one place mashing on the buttons when it was time for a new song. i'm a big doom fan, but his live show leaves a lot to be desired. the crowd ends up doing half the songs on their own.

one question castrato: why do you hate on one of the freshest MCs of his generation? does he not sound enough like Peedie Crack for you?
    i'm a big doom fan

reading is fundamental[/b]

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    How do you know it was an imposter and it wasn't Doom lipsynching?

It's actually sort of funny how we found out about the lip-synching. Some friends of mine were in the crowd, and after I was done playing, I was standing by the side of the stage by the soundman, and my friends came up to him and said, "Hey, we were just in the middle of the crowd, and we couldn't hear a word he was saying. Can you turn his mic up?"

The soundman's response: "His mic's not on."

As for the imposter part, personally, I wouldn't know. I've never seen Doom before, but lots and lots of folks were saying it didn't really look like him, including some dudes who had met him several times and kicked it with him and whatnot. As soon as he took the stage, they were saying, "I don't think that's really Doom."

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    this is crazy, but i'm not surprised. when i saw him, he came off bored and boring. i saw him at the dna lounge a few years ago, oakland faders opened up. he didn't come on until like 1:45am (or near that time) and then just did a half-ass medley. i hate it when the make people wait cause then they're just getting drunker and angrier and while they are waiting.

• Bought tickets to see this guy twice....both times he canceled. Any Portland heads remember the MF Doom/Kurious show that was supposed to happen at the Paris Theater a few years back. The fucking Paris!?!? Like that was going to happen.

To my knowledge he has played once here in Portland....a few years back when he opened for Talib Kweli. Heard from a few people his performance was terrible.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I've seen him a few times and the short set doesn't suprise me. Although I have seen him come real dope but he does tend to half ass it most of the time. I think the first doom show I saw seemed shorter than it was because there was no bullshit talking no hype, he just tore through songs. I liked it because I hate rappers trying to tell me to say ho and all that bullshit. It was dope but the time after that dude was hella late and cut it short, sucked.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I saw doom some years ago downtown, and it was one of the dopest performances i can remember. Dude KILLED it. Just him, his mask, a mic, and a digital multitrack. Ive never seen so much energy come out of one person. It felt like a whole band was up there. After he came down, ripped off his mask and posted at the bar. Im pretty sure he got plastered.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Didn't Man...Or Astroman? send off like 4 different bands posing as different versions of themselves on tour all at the same time? I remember hearing there was an all female version and a robot version.

haha yeah, this thread got me thinking about that too...except at least the Alpha Clones were actually them right? I saw them in college (both the "clones" and the real band), great show.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Someone in the audience had to have seen Doom before and know if it was him or not.. dude has fairly unique rap hands and movements...

I saw him in Austin and he fairly ripped it with Count Bass D DJ'ing via CDJ for him (pushing buttons but still). He can perform live but I had heard word on other shows previously that people thought maybe it was not him on stage.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    DJ Fuckstick has to have pics of this. He had fake Method Man.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Wasn't anyone who knows Doom there to call him out? Or at least try and say hi to him? This is crazy!

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Didn't Man...Or Astroman? send off like 4 different bands posing as different versions of themselves on tour all at the same time? I remember hearing there was an all female version and a robot version.

haha yeah, this thread got me thinking about that too...except at least the Alpha Clones were actually them right? I saw them in college (both the "clones" and the real band), great show.

I think your right, still one of the best shows I have ever been to!

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Yeah this whole incident seems mad

I saw Doom at the Madvillain release show in Toronto. Dude DID go on real late, and DID pretty much just rip through song after song. But it WAS live, and he killed it. I hadn't heard of his shady live performances or repeat cancellations until this thread. That shit is too bad really. I enjoyed his performance a lot.

Wasn't there some dude who was making money impersonating Quasimoto and putting on shows like 4 years back? With like some crazy homemade Lord Quas costume and shitty pitch shifter pedal... hahaha

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    i saw the fake meth, but this is next level.

next we'll see big l perform again with a mask...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Wasn't there some dude who was making money impersonating Quasimoto and putting on shows like 4 years back? With like some crazy homemade Lord Quas costume and shitty pitch shifter pedal... hahaha

dj fuckstick got the pics!