how much do you tip?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    what is so hard about being a waiter....at a nice restaurant? at a minimum, you are making $50 or so an hour in tips and you are gonna have far less tables to cover than your average Bennigans type server.

maybe i'm missing something, but f*ck these overpaid bartenders and waitresses who bitch about tips. there is no law that says you have to tip. i'm gonna become the robin hood of tipping - completely stiff all the high end waiters/waitresses, and then make it up for it by spreading the wealth to all the servers at shitty restaurants.

You are missing a lot. I worked at a high-end restaurant and was not what I would call overpaid for what I did. I worked about the same number of tables as when I worked in lower end places, but in fact worked harder; in the higher end place, there was a lot less staff on the floor with me...so more work and more stress. The expectations of the level of personal service and knowledge of both the owners and the customers were much higher than that at of the local pub, so again, more work and more stress. If you think playing "Robin Hood" and stiffing high-end resturant servers levels the field, you are mistaken. Not compensating people fairly for the work they do is BS no matter where you do it.
    Yup, there is no law about tipping - there is also no law about spouting off about the work folks do when you don't really understand what goes into it and what they do or do not deserve, so go nuts!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Pa***s. Devil Wears Prada related.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

What plate of food is "worth" $70???

The one where that's the price on the menu.

Dude, that's like saying that Sergio Mendes LP is worth $100 because that's the price the copy on the wall of my local shop has on it.

If you're willing to pay $70.00 for ten bucks worth of food because it's in some fancy restaurant you should be willing to tip the waiter accordingly.

• Tipping cab drivers. This is where it gets confusing. 15%? More if you didn't almost get us killed? Nothing if you did? What if it was a one-mile ride?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Dude, that's like saying that Sergio Mendes LP is worth $100 because that's the price the copy on the wall of my local shop has on it.

Well, in a way, that is exactly what I am saying.
    I realize "cost" and "worth" are not synonymous, but I
    do believe something is often "worth" whatever someone
    is willing to pay for it. Nobody will buy the Mendes for $100,
    so, no, it is not "worth" that - but if people are paying $70
    for a plate of food, than that is what that plate of food is worth.

If you're willing to pay $70.00 for ten bucks worth of food because it's in some fancy restaurant you should be willing to tip the waiter accordingly.

I have no idea how you are getting from point A to point B here, I have
    to assume you are responding to something somebody said, because of course
    I agree with this, don't know how anybody could not.

Well, in a way, that is exactly what I am saying.
    I realize "cost" and "worth" are not synonymous, but I
    do believe something is often "worth" whatever someone
    is willing to pay for it. Nobody will but the Mendes for $100,
    so, no, it is not "worth" that - but if people are paying $70
    for a plate of food, than that is what that plate of food is worth.

I have no idea how you are getting from point A to point B here, I have
    to assume you are responding to something somebody said, because of course
    I agree with this, don't know how anybody could not.

I was responding to KVH who said this....

"just because you're a waiter holding a plate of food that costs me $70, doesnt mean the job of holding that plate suddenly has a higher value." [/b]

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I'll usually overtip just to make up for the stereotype of Jews being stingy

same! but I always couple it with an overt display of Jewishness. otherwise I'm just a big-tipping white dude. gotta let 'em know.

so I'll usually leave a little hebrew note on the tab or pay in shekels.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Tipping cab drivers. This is where it gets confusing. 15%? More if you didn't almost get us killed? Nothing if you did? What if it was a one-mile ride?

I usually tip $2 for the first $4 of the fare, and another buck for every additional $4.

Tipping cab drivers. This is where it gets confusing. 15%? More if you didn't almost get us killed? Nothing if you did? What if it was a one-mile ride?

my typical SF cab ride I find is about $12. I usually give them $15.

BTW I gave King Moist's girl a tip....

(mine).

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I have a tipping scale set up based on how often I go to the restaurant. If I go for dim sum & the bill is 30-40 bucks before tip, I always give my waiter a 15-20 dollar tip. I do this to gurantee the kind of service I expect - I like being seated first, I like my glass always full, & I want stuff that's not on the regular menu, plus little extras. I always ask for the same waiter & at places I go to regularly and will wait for an opening in their section if its full. Usually, I don't have to wait, my parents are automatically given cutlery (not chopsticks), and we get a good table. I'm always happy to pay for prefered service & that's what tipping is about for me. Taxis & haircuts are 15 % or based on how I feel about the driver/barber. Were they good conversation? etc...

Taxis & haircuts are 15 % or based on how I feel about the driver/barber. Were they good conversation? etc...

no doubt. I always wanna hear where the cabbie's from, how the night's been. if dude clams up and doesn't want to talk then that definitely factors in (though maybe it shouldn't if he's just not in a talking mood, but I'm just being honest; it's a factor). and I like when they ask what route I'd prefer.

haircuts I do myself.

plus little extras

*wink, wink*

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Starbucks/Coffee bean - they gets nada
    Sit Down meal with good service - 20%
    Sit down meak with ok service - 15%
    Sit down meal with porr service - hey gets nada

Cabs and delivery $3-$5 (cabs more if its a longer distance)

I have a tipping scale set up based on how often I go to the restaurant. If I go for dim sum & the bill is 30-40 bucks before tip, I always give my waiter a 15-20 dollar tip. I do this to gurantee the kind of service I expect - I like being seated first, I like my glass always full, & I want stuff that's not on the regular menu, plus little extras. I always ask for the same waiter & at places I go to regularly and will wait for an opening in their section if its full. Usually, I don't have to wait, my parents are automatically given cutlery (not chopsticks), and we get a good table. I'm always happy to pay for prefered service & that's what tipping is about for me. Taxis & haircuts are 15 % or based on how I feel about the driver/barber. Were they good conversation? etc...

yo but H***rd what they really wanna know is how much you tip at the...ahem... club.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    rockadelic, I find it odd that someone who understands how "just a record" can be worth a $1000, can ask how can a $10 plate of food be worth $70? A piece of pork and some vegtables prepared by someone like Thomas Keller is easily worth 7 times more than a piece of pork and some vegtables thrown together at some home style restaurant chain...

• Tipping cab drivers. This is where it gets confusing. 15%? More if you didn't almost get us killed? Nothing if you did? What if it was a one-mile ride?

cabs - just the change if $6 or under,
    $1 plus change if $6-12
    $2 plus change if $12-20

My friend who drives a cab says he generally expects and is happy with $1 plus change.

I had an interesting dining/tipping situation during Restaurant Week. If the meal is at an unusual discount, should this server be tipped less than he usually recieves for the same work/meal? That wouldnt seem right. Normally he would get $40 for a $200 meal, but that same meal is now 100, so should he get $20 only?
    Turned out that my wife ordered outside of the Restaurant Week menu, so our bill was substantial anyway, and we just tipped 25% of that. The service was fantastic, he made great conversation too. It should be noted that in places like this (the 21 Club) your server does not actually serve you the plate.

rockadelic, I find it odd that someone who understands how "just a record" can be worth a $1000, can ask how can a $10 plate of food be worth $70? A piece of pork and some vegtables prepared by someone like Thomas Keller is easily worth 7 times more than a piece of pork and some vegtables thrown together at some home style restaurant chain...

I understand how a record or even a meal can COST $1,000.

I also understand that the waiter bringing you the $70.00 Keller plate should get 15% regardless of what the meal is really "worth".

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    How does tipping differ in N.A. & Europe? I have heard that its seen as rude to overtip or tip at all? I think they are paid a much better base wage. Enlighten me.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

yo but H***rd what they really wanna know is how much you tip at the...ahem... club.

The club can get a little complicated...First up, no matter whether or not I'm attracted to any girl I talk to, I buy them a drink. If they approach me & I'm not bitin', I'll buy em a drink of their choice, just as a consolation. That can be expensive, but I think its only fair. If I like the girl enough to take her to VIP, I won't spend less than 100 bucks on her. Going upstairs for less is a waste of her time & mine. 100 will keep us busy for about half an hour. I never go beyond house rules, so I won't pay or tip for odd jobs. Any funny stuff that goes down, happens outside & for no cash. I'll always tip an extra 20 on a hundred if I like the girl. Doorman gets a fin + cover. Waitress will get at least an 80 % tip on my first few drinks. That's blood money. Keeps them from cock blocking.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    yeah that shit sucks. the last job i worked at i worked as a cook. there was a tip jar for the servers that would get pretty full, but the thing is, at the end of every two weeks, the manager would split up the entire tip jar between EVERY employee, based on their performance. im not sure exactly how fair this system was in general, but the fact that even the dishwasher and shit would get part of the servers tips seemed kinda shitty to me.

SHOULD'VE JUST STOLEN FROM THE TIP JAR.

AND THEN BRAGGED ABOUT IT ON THE INTERNET.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    yeah that shit sucks. the last job i worked at i worked as a cook. there was a tip jar for the servers that would get pretty full, but the thing is, at the end of every two weeks, the manager would split up the entire tip jar between EVERY employee, based on their performance. im not sure exactly how fair this system was in general, but the fact that even the dishwasher and shit would get part of the servers tips seemed kinda shitty to me.

SHOULD'VE JUST STOLEN FROM THE TIP JAR.

AND THEN BRAGGED ABOUT IT ON THE INTERNET.

that would have been a lot cooler, youre right...fuck!! i fucked up.

The club can get a little complicated...First up, no matter whether or not I'm attracted to any girl I talk to, I buy them a drink. If they approach me & I'm not bitin', I'll buy em a drink of their choice, just as a consolation. That can be expensive, but I think its only fair. If I like the girl enough to take her to VIP, I won't spend less than 100 bucks on her. Going upstairs for less is a waste of her time & mine. 100 will keep us busy for about half an hour. I never go beyond house rules, so I won't pay or tip for odd jobs. Any funny stuff that goes down, happens outside & for no cash. I'll always tip an extra 20 on a hundred if I like the girl. Doorman gets a fin + cover. Waitress will get at least an 80 % tip on my first few drinks. That's blood money. Keeps them from cock blocking.

MTL heads take the club SERIOUS.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts

• And what about this thing of tipping in a fast-food restaurant that has no table service? Is that correct or greedy?

Now, that's just generous. I think if you believe in some religion, you get some kind of good samaritan bonus points but i'm guessing a place of that description will have some random bum pick up the tip for you. He or she will invest on some hot dope or a bag of fresh skittles. And how about both skipping out on checks and not tipping? Not quite the same but I used to not[/b] tip (guilty) the first month I moved from Japan to America. I learned my lesson the hard way. My friends brought me up to speed of the fact that not everyone includes tip in the service charge. I felt like I should make it up to every meal from then on. I also worked as a waitress for almost a year and learned to respect the tip. I have left 20-25% tips since then consistently and in some cases more if I know the person working on staff. And there may have been a few instances where I left 15% due to poor service.

So now, going back to the record business...
    i know you all must have tipped for records?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

So now, going back to the record business...
    i know you all must have tipped for records?

I've definitely been at yard sales where I've
    brought up a stack of good records and they
    say "ummm how about $3?" and I say "How about five?"
    and give them a five-spot. That's kinda like tipping.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    And what about this thing of tipping in a fast-food restaurant that has no table service? Is that correct or greedy?
    I know that at McDonalds not sure bout other fast food places they are not allowed to accept tips.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    THIS THRAED IS LIKE THE WORST EVAR! x2

But will it get phantom bumped by SoulOnIce in 8 month's time? I'm not so sure.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I like giving good tips because it feels good... and if I have it to give that might mean that I am doing good myself...

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Tip bartenders wayyyyyyyy too much.

This is excellent advice.

I had so many things I wanted to say regarding this topic.

just because you're a waiter holding a plate of food that costs me $70, doesnt mean the job of holding that plate suddenly has a higher value.

I kind of agree with this, but in a backwards way, and only because I feel that it might be possible that people working in fine dining might sometimes feel de-valued having to work for some of the most demanding and high maintence customers ever, and yes, that means they should make more money because they work for bigger assholes with bigger paychecks and bigger heads. I like making eye contact with my customers not to mention that big wigs and VIPS a lot of the time get their $300 tab comped and dont tip at all. Its like all the celebs who can afford $1,000 handbags but get them for free. I prefer a more casual laid back setting, I work at a nightclub so really I cant relate to the fine dining experience, but regardless, if you can't afford the tip on the spendy shit you shouldnt be buying it, plain and simple. Fucking usher.

Having said all that we went out to lunch the other day and upon leaving the server asked us how everything was....

we said "It was great!" and "Awesome as usual"

and dude says: " it was more you guys than me" ......."I mean you were the ones that placed the order...it was all about the selection"

LOL. I am definitely using that one on some unsuspecting guests....it had us cracking up.

As much as I hate the contradictive T-Pain drinking songs I have seen an increase in sucking-upage this summer. Thank you T-Pain!