how much do you tip?

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
It is common practice to tip 15-20% on meals, right? Does this make any sense though?A waitress at a diner busts her ass while serving you on a $25 tab...and gets $4, but a snooty waitress at a 5 star restaurant who only has to worry about covering a few tables gets $40 for a $200 tab. Same number of courses and people served.I'm one of the sheep who follows the rules. Has anyone strayed dramatically from the normal tipping etiquette? If so, did you get boo'd out of the restaurant?Tipping on drinks is the same game.

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i usually get $7-$9 meals and end up tipping $4-$5.

i used to work a tip job so i kinda feel for them.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    And what about this thing of tipping in a fast-food restaurant that has no table service? Is that correct or greedy?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I tip well, but i am in the restaurant business and it's sort of customary to do so. I've always tipped alright, but when once i saw the ins and outs of it all i definitely stepped my game up a bit.

I see where you're coming from with the diner vs. upscale thing and while i see where you're coming from any 5 star worth it's weight in caviar is going to have some knowledgeable ass servers. What can you tell me about this cut of meat? What do you have in a dry oak aged red wine? I'm allergic to this and that, what can you reccomend?

If i'm in a diner and the waitress is busting her ass with 10 tables spread out across the joint, i'm not going to let my calculator determine how much i tip...she's busting her ass for people who rarely appreciated under conditions that are more than likely less than optimal. Same goes for fancier places. If i get some kid who hardly shows up at the table and doesn't seem to care one way or the other how my dinner goes, then i am going to let my tip reflect that.

I've had a lot of great service in not so expected places and vice versa, i've served tables and tended bar so i know when someone is really working hard or really slacking off. It was my job for a year to bust people when they weren't giving guests the service they should be and reward them when they did, so i am kind of tuned in on it when i go out.

Sorry for being long winded about it. Just wanted to build on the diner / fine dine thing.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i am not a fan of restaurants that pool all the tips and then distribute them among the waiters/waitresses. that seems pretty unfair.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    15% is the default tax--if they report their income. but my baseline is 20% becuase it's easier to count. for bars, i drink liquor so I always have to buy one and tip up to 50% so my next is good and strong.

i am not a fan of restaurants that pool all the tips and then distribute them among the waiters/waitresses. that seems pretty unfair.

yeah that shit sucks. the last job i worked at i worked as a cook. there was a tip jar for the servers that would get pretty full, but the thing is, at the end of every two weeks, the manager would split up the entire tip jar between EVERY employee, based on their performance. im not sure exactly how fair this system was in general, but the fact that even the dishwasher and shit would get part of the servers tips seemed kinda shitty to me.

not that i should really complain since i got an extra $20 cash every paycheck, but still.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

yeah but what about very assholish customers that dont tip worth shit? A waiter/watiress could work their ass off for some douchetards who are never satisified and have them walk leaving a 2% or 5% tip on a big ticket...that is very unfair also..I think pooling helps this kind of situation out since it is a crap shoot who is going to get good customers versus bad customers....

And what about this thing of tipping in a fast-food restaurant that has no table service? Is that correct or greedy?

??? i dont think ive ever seen this. is it common?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    20% on the final total if it's a good week for cashflow, 20% on the amount before taxes if it's a less lucrative week.

25% on the final total for places we go to regularly and for a favourite/excellent server.

Absolute minimum is 15%, and 10% if things were just horrible and we've already said something and/or it's totally clear things were not right.

Problem is servers get punished for things they don't always have control over. If the food is no good or kitchen is behind...but then again, for the latter, s/he should let you know right off the bat so you can expect the wait and decide whether you want to wait it out or not. And wrong orders are not always the servers' mistake!!

Take-out is what I'm not sure about, usually I tip, sometimes I don't...if there's a tip jar, then yes, fine. Otherwise - what is the rule on take-out? I mean someone is still working to get you that food.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    It varies, but usually about 10-15%, just don't tip that much. Partly cheap, yes, partly because we're basic as hell (if its just me and wifey). We order drinks and food usually together and then we're out. Obviously if there's more people then i'll tip better...

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Great point. Even cooler are the customers who ask about this before they tip you. It shows they understand what you're doing or really appreciate that you helped them have a fun time / good meal.

yeah but what about very assholish customers that dont tip worth shit? A waiter/watiress could work their ass off for some douchetards who are never satisified and have them walk leaving a 2% or 5% tip on a big ticket...that is very unfair also..I think pooling helps this kind of situation out since it is a crap shoot who is going to get good customers versus bad customers....

thats true, its fair in that respect, but at the same right if youre an awesome waiter who deserves good tips, and you end up getting the same amount as a dude who doesnt even try, thats kinda discouraging. basically it seems like it would just even out the amount of effort everybody would put into their job.

for food i will go up to 30% is the service was perfect.

these days i don't put up with ANY bullshit at restaurants. last month I was served and awful meal after waiting over an hour at my table. i sent ti back and asked the server to bring the manager. i told the manger in front of the server that i am leaving and not paying for anything. furthermore, the service was adequate considering the circumstances (it's the kitchen's fault). therefore, the kitchen or the management should pay her tip. should i have paid her tip? if so, why?

Take-out is what I'm not sure about, usually I tip, sometimes I don't...if there's a tip jar, then yes, fine. Otherwise - what is the rule on take-out? I mean someone is still working to get you that food.

I usually do 10% on take-out and buffets...you are only interacting with your server once in that situation, so I think 10% is fair for handing you your take out bag and/or drink.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    simple math: a boy gets no baksheesh from me

• i just find the 15-20% thing to be soo arbitrary, especially as it applies to fine dining. cheers to those waiters who are getting $50-$100 tips on every meal, but if i'm not rich, but just eating at a fancy restaurant, why should i be compelled to tip like i'm Daddy Warbucks when a) tipping is my choice, not a right, and b) the service they have given me isn't worth close to 20% of the bill?

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts
    20% for satisfactory table service
    10% on delivery
    5% on take out

I usually do 20% plus rounding up, so say the bill is $30...$6 is 20% plus the $4 to bump it up to an even $40....

• these days i don't put up with ANY bullshit at restaurants. last month I was served and awful meal after waiting over an hour at my table. i sent ti back and asked the server to bring the manager. i told the manger in front of the server that i am leaving and not paying for anything. furthermore, the service was adequate considering the circumstances (it's the kitchen's fault). therefore, the kitchen or the management should pay her tip.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Like Steve Martin in "My Blue Heaven"...

"I don't tip, I over tip"

Especially if I'm going to be spending any time at a bar drinking....first beer I tip $20....then I know I'm gonna be taken care of the rest of the night.

I think people who have been waiters/bartenders tend to tip more than folks who haven't.

what do people tip for a hair cut?

if i just like my server all around, i tip very well. one time me and my friend got a ridiculously hilarious awesome waiter and we tipped 210% percent.

i never even knew you were supposed to do this, but then again i havent gotten my haircut at an actual shop in probably 9 years...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I've tipped $1,000 on every haircut I've gotten in the last 10 years.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Re: carry-out... just tip a buck or two per bag, no need for a strict %.

Myself and most of my circle of friends have all worked food service at some point, and in Baltimore hosts usually get paid at least minimum wage (unlike waiters/waitresses in most areas), and usally get tipped in coins or not at all. Believe me, if you put a buck or two in a tip jar for a bag of carry-out, you departed from the norm and made that person happy.

I usually tip more than 20% on a sit down meal, and wouldn't go lower than 20% unless there was a problem.

If I'm eating alone and the bill's $10 or so, I'm still going to tip $4 or more. The waiter/waitress didn't work substantially less than if there was another person at the table, or than if I'd ordered more expensive grub.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    on the low end:

20% for satisfactory table service
    10% on delivery
    5% on take out

hair= 25%+

If I'm eating alone and the bill's $10 or so, I'm still going to tip $4 or more. The waiter/waitress didn't work substantially less than if there was another person at the table, or than if I'd ordered more expensive grub.

exactly. when im alone, or with a couple people even, i tend to get closer to the 40-50% mark.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Take out, no tip (is it just me)...
    Buffet, little tip if any...

Damn, maybe I'm just an a**hole....

how about places that INCLUDE gratuity in the reciept total? this irks my uncle to no end, he was freaking out about it the other day when my family went out to eat and i was just like "dude chill out"

i hate people who care so much. dude you sat at a table and didnt do anything, pay your waiter or eat at home.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I usually do 20% plus rounding up, so say the bill is $30...$6 is 20% plus the $4 to bump it up to an even $40....

Yeah, that's me as well. I've never been a waiter, but I've known enough people who have been to know what a difference a nice tip can make for your server.