how much do you tip?

Comments

• what do people tip for a hair cut?

I do $5 for a $35 cut. But that comes with shampoo, neck massage, hot lather on the neck, etc.

-- Metro Bob

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Where I live, the servers get paid less than minimum wage.
    I will tip 20%-25% if the service was good
    15% if it was satisfactory
    $1 if service sucked.

• what is so hard about being a waiter....at a nice restaurant? at a minimum, you are making $50 or so an hour in tips and you are gonna have far less tables to cover than your average Bennigans type server.

maybe i'm missing something, but f*ck these overpaid bartenders and waitresses who bitch about tips. there is no law that says you have to tip. i'm gonna become the robin hood of tipping - completely stiff all the high end waiters/waitresses, and then make it up for it by spreading the wealth to all the servers at shitty restaurants.

• yeah I use %20 as a baseline, and round up. If there was something wrong then I go less, if it was really good or if it was a friend or an establishment where I'm a regular, then I'll go higher.

but, I AM a stickler for good service. I've never worked in food/drink service, but that might be why I try to be generous- because that line of work seems like such a drag to me that i feel bad for them (although i know plenty of waiters who make good $$, like easily way more than i do in a year!)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'll usually overtip just to make up for the stereotype of Jews being stingy

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    there is definitely a point to be made about tipping well at a place you frequent often.
    I mean you're going to see those people often.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    how about places that INCLUDE gratuity in the reciept total? this irks my uncle to no end, he was freaking out about it the other day when my family went out to eat and i was just like "dude chill out"

i hate people who care so much. dude you sat at a table and didnt do anything, pay your waiter or eat at home.

when places do this, it's usually for parties of 6 or more, and it's usually at 15%. So they're just trying to make sure their people get taken care of, cuz big parties often will go for the dick move by racking up hundreds of dollars in food and drink and then dropping a 20 for the tip.

I guess it's a little weird if a place does that for tables of 1 or 2 people, but still, they're probably setting the tip at 15%, and no one should be leaving less than that anyway. As long as they're clear about saying the gratuity's included, I don't see the problem.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    but if i'm not rich, but just eating at a fancy restaurant, why should i be compelled to tip like i'm Daddy Warbucks when a) tipping is my choice, not a right, and b) the service they have given me isn't worth close to 20% of the bill?

Same reason you are compelled to tip well anywhere else you eat where the service is good and someone is working hard. If the service is bad then that's a separate issue. If you're eating at a fancy place, everything is going to cost more (parking, beverages, wine, your outift) and you are willing to pay. Why should it be any different when it comes to the person serving you?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I have worked in a lot of restaurants and my wife is working at one now during her summer break from grad school. We tip 20% at least, but like Fatback we take no shorts. If service is bad they get dick, and we can tell the difference between a shitty kitchen and a shitty server.

• what do people tip for a hair cut?

Dude charges $15, I give him a $20 and be done with it. I'm not gonna be "You can just give me two dollars back" dude. WTF am I gonna do w/ that two bucks?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I tend to tip more for cheaper meals, like
    a $10 brunch I'll leave $15, which is 50% but
    this is usually at a place I frequent and get
    friendly, familar service ... for a high-end
    expensive meal, I'll usually only do 15-20% unless
    the service was outstanding or I'm drunk

Haircuts, yeah, that's a tough one. I always just
    tipped a couple of bucks, I think it was $12 for
    a haircut and I would give them $15 ... the haircut
    just went up to $14 and I realized I was still tipping
    what I did 15 years ago, so now I give 'em a twenty
    and say keep it.

I realize all the women and metrosexual men who are
    getting $75 haircuts and leaving $25 tips are laughing at
    me for worrying over whether to leave $3 or $6 on a $14
    haircut, but what can I say, I go to a barber shop and it
    takes them less than 10 minutes to cut my hair.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yeah , its easy to tell a shitty server from a shitty kitchen...like if your food is cold..that means shit had been sitting at the pass for a while and was never picked up, or if shit isnt to order, like sauce or dressing on the side...the server should have notcied that when they picked it up and had it redone. A shitty kitchen will fuck the food up itself...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    that tip cup schitt at take out spots is ... what in the hale am i tippin' a muthaf***a for at a take out spot??? for smiling at me while you give me my change back? GTFOOHWTFBS. it's time to take america back and stop putting up with this BUUUULLLSCHITT

take america back

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    that tip cup schitt at take out spots is ... what in the hale am i tippin' a muthaf***a for at a take out spot??? for smiling at me while you give me my change back? GTFOOHWTFBS. it's time to take america back and stop putting up with this BUUUULLLSCHITT

Exactly what most people think, which is why people who tip $1-2 on their carry-out meals will be remembered and appreciated. Around here, that person at the register is probably making $6.50 an hour, and not a penny more if you don't put something in that jar. Are they working that much less than a waiter, who'll probably clear anywhere from $10-50/hour at the same restaurant? Nah.

• but if i'm not rich, but just eating at a fancy restaurant, why should i be compelled to tip like i'm Daddy Warbucks when a) tipping is my choice, not a right, and b) the service they have given me isn't worth close to 20% of the bill?

Same reason you are compelled to tip well anywhere else you eat where the service is good and someone is working hard. If the service is bad then that's a separate issue. If you're eating at a fancy place, everything is going to cost more (parking, beverages, wine, your outift) and you are willing to pay. Why should it be any different when it comes to the person serving you?

because the service has a market value that is entirely seperate from the food. society has placed an arbitrary % figure on this service. just because you're a waiter holding a plate of food that costs me $70, doesnt mean the job of holding that plate suddenly has a higher value.

• I usually tip 15%...My meals for me and GF are usually around 40-80 bones so it adds up for me= we eat out almost everyday. That's why I stay on the more conservative side.

For a $12 haircut, I tip $3.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    i am not a fan of restaurants that pool all the tips and then distribute them among the waiters/waitresses. that seems pretty unfair.

yeah but what about very assholish customers that dont tip worth shit? A waiter/watiress could work their ass off for some douchetards who are never satisified and have them walk leaving a 2% or 5% tip on a big ticket...that is very unfair also..I think pooling helps this kind of situation out since it is a crap shoot who is going to get good customers versus bad customers....

thats true, its fair in that respect, but at the same right if youre an awesome waiter who deserves good tips, and you end up getting the same amount as a dude who doesnt even try, thats kinda discouraging. basically it seems like it would just even out the amount of effort everybody would put into their job.

I deal with this everyday at my job, and it sucks. Sometimes I just give up and act like them. But then they complain. Tip Sharing is a very bad idea. And too much control in one person's hands.

I need a career, i think.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    what is so hard about being a waiter....at a nice restaurant? at a minimum, you are making $50 or so an hour in tips and you are gonna have far less tables to cover than your average Bennigans type server.

You're definitely missing something. I work at what is continually touted as "the hippest restaurant" in Manhattan. Of course that is contestable, but people say it for a reason. If I show up to work and my apron is dirty, I'm sent home, no pay. If I can't recite every ingredient in every dish on the menu, I'm sent home no pay. If I can't recite the grapes in every bottle of wine that we sell, and suggest a food pairing, I'm sent home no pay. There's a lot that goes on at fancier restaurants that you're not aware of. When I go into work I start the night off with a ton of shit to worry about, and that's before I've greeted a single table. I bust my ass for eight hours with no break. On a busy brunch shift I'll wait on fourty to fifty tables. A regular dinner shift is 15-20, and a busy dinner is 25-30. Don't assumer that I work less than a dude at Bennigans. If you're at one of my tables I'm treating you like royalty if you're at one of my tables. Just consider that the server who waits on you determines how your meal will go. Fancy restaurants hold their servers to ridiculously high standards; your job is never secure.

As far as eating at fancy restaurants is concerned, I feel like if you can't afford to payt he service, then you can't afford to eat there. You wouldn't buy a new Porsche turbo if you wouldn't be able to afford the upkeep for it, so don't eat at a restaurant where you can't afford the service. Imagine if servers treated customers like that. "Well, I really don't care if that table tips me, so I'm just not going to do anything for them."

As well, I work in a pooled house, where everything is reported. I don't walk out with anything at the end of the night. I see it all in a paycheck. The only good thing about this is that I know how much money I'm gonig to be making every week once I see my schedule. I never have to worry about having a shitty day pay-wise. Other than that a pooled house sucks.

• A PROFESSIONAL waiter at, say Del Posto, is a galaxy away from Joe College and his flair at Friday's. They both may work hard, but at the upscale place, if they are doing their job, you are royally taken care of.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    first date - just the tip
    second date - the whole thing

"Take my wife ... please!"[/b]

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

"Take my wife ... please!"[/b]

lol

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    what do people tip for a hair cut?

i never even knew you were supposed to do this

no shit. i thought that was just a restaurant/bar/taxi thing.

thats another thing right there - not every place is a tippin' place.

if its' a diner, tip.

if its' a big-deal restaurant, tip.

if its a takeout restaurant where you more or less bus your own tables...thats a gray area.

if its a barber shop, i dunno.

BUT IF YOU DECIDE TO EAT AT KFC OR WHITE CASTLE THAT DAY...THEN[/b] WHAT YOU GONNA DO? IS THERE S'POSED TO BE A 15% GRATUITY ON A WHOPPER WITH FRIES?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    what is so hard about being a waiter....at a nice restaurant? at a minimum, you are making $50 or so an hour in tips and you are gonna have far less tables to cover than your average Bennigans type server.

You're definitely missing something. I work at what is continually touted as "the hippest restaurant" in Manhattan. Of course that is contestable, but people say it for a reason. If I show up to work and my apron is dirty, I'm sent home, no pay. If I can't recite every ingredient in every dish on the menu, I'm sent home no pay. If I can't recite the grapes in every bottle of wine that we sell, and suggest a food pairing, I'm sent home no pay. There's a lot that goes on at fancier restaurants that you're not aware of. When I go into work I start the night off with a ton of shit to worry about, and that's before I've greeted a single table. I bust my ass for eight hours with no break. On a busy brunch shift I'll wait on fourty to fifty tables. A regular dinner shift is 15-20, and a busy dinner is 25-30. Don't assumer that I work less than a dude at Bennigans. If you're at one of my tables I'm treating you like royalty if you're at one of my tables. Just consider that the server who waits on you determines how your meal will go. Fancy restaurants hold their servers to ridiculously high standards; your job is never secure.

As far as eating at fancy restaurants is concerned, I feel like if you can't afford to payt he service, then you can't afford to eat there. You wouldn't buy a new Porsche turbo if you wouldn't be able to afford the upkeep for it, so don't eat at a restaurant where you can't afford the service. Imagine if servers treated customers like that. "Well, I really don't care if that table tips me, so I'm just not going to do anything for them."

As well, I work in a pooled house, where everything is reported. I don't walk out with anything at the end of the night. I see it all in a paycheck. The only good thing about this is that I know how much money I'm gonig to be making every week once I see my schedule. I never have to worry about having a shitty day pay-wise. Other than that a pooled house sucks.

Well said, and very much true.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    but if i'm not rich, but just eating at a fancy restaurant, why should i be compelled to tip like i'm Daddy Warbucks when a) tipping is my choice, not a right, and b) the service they have given me isn't worth close to 20% of the bill?

because the service has a market value that is entirely seperate from the food. society has placed an arbitrary % figure on this service. just because you're a waiter holding a plate of food that costs me $70, doesnt mean the job of holding that plate suddenly has a higher value.

What plate of food is "worth" $70???

What plate of food is "worth" $70???

The one where that's the price on the menu.

• what is so hard about being a waiter....at a nice restaurant? at a minimum, you are making $50 or so an hour in tips and you are gonna have far less tables to cover than your average Bennigans type server.

You're definitely missing something. I work at what is continually touted as "the hippest restaurant" in Manhattan. Of course that is contestable, but people say it for a reason. If I show up to work and my apron is dirty, I'm sent home, no pay. If I can't recite every ingredient in every dish on the menu, I'm sent home no pay. If I can't recite the grapes in every bottle of wine that we sell, and suggest a food pairing, I'm sent home no pay. There's a lot that goes on at fancier restaurants that you're not aware of.

point taken. still, i think the "dirty apron" factor says more about the image of the restaurant than the service. if you are providing an added service to the customer by being knowledgable about a sophisticated menu, your right, that is definitely above and beyond what you expect or receive at a normal restaurant.

i disagree with your porsche analogy though. if im buying a porsche, i can still look for bargain parts, and have my cheap mechanic perform the same work that a porsche dealer would...but for less.

accepting that "knowledge of the menu" is an added value of upscale waiters, i still believe that 20% on a high bill doesnt reflect the value of service. then again, there are a lot of overpaid people (relative to those who do nearly the same work for much cheaper), so i guess it wouldnt be right to draw the line at servers and bartenders.

• Tip bartenders wayyyyyyyy too much.
    Tip waiters/waitresses 20-25%, and always add an extra $1 for low rent spots, and $5/$10 for bigger spots.

Rule of thumb being...the extra $1,$5,$10 means more to the server than it does to you.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

where are you working?

people fail to realize that there are "professional" waiters who treat their jobs as a career. People have this perception of waitressing as a filler job. There are post secondary degrees in hospitality at many colleges.

it's generally given that a person wiling to spend money in a fine dining establishment will be aware of the intricacies involved w/ service at such establishments. They know of the value behind a knowledgable waiter. Folks that balk at $$$ tip are the ones that have no interest in that knowledge.

I tip minimum 15% even if service is wretched, I will choose to take my business elsewhere in the future to reflect my displeasure.