New Millenium Rap Classics

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about.

??????
    my anecdotal experiences w/ old heads didn't actually occur? ok boss
    in my experience talking to other rap fans, older rap fans, there are plenty of dudes who were not feeling 90s rappers and stopped really feeling rap post-80s. Are u saying you can speak for all old heads or something??? I dont get it

i never said that EVERYONE hated on pac, big or jigga - there is no doubt they were all popular. I loved those dudes when they were in their primes. i'm talking about old folks talking shit about kids coming up, thats got a long history

but maybe u were too busy waiting to pounce on me to pay attention

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jesus, dude. Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. No wonder why I don't ever get involved in any of your discussions.

Point being, I guess I'm one of these "old heads" in which you have had your anecdotal experiences and, in my experience, the consensus of people that I knew at the time was that all three of the dudes were dope.

But I guess your "field research" speaks differently. Woo fucking hah.

Now I guess it's time for one of your insightful theorys or some other witty retort, but save that shit holmes. I'm going to sleep.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Jesus, dude. Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. No wonder why I don't ever get involved in any of your discussions.

Point being, I guess I'm one of these "old heads" in which you have had your anecdotal experiences and, in my experience, the consensus of people that I knew at the time was that all three of the dudes were dope.

Now I guess it's time for one of your insightful theorys or some other witty retort, but save that shit holmes. I'm going to sleep.
    uh ok 'witty retorts' aside i dont see how i'm the one who's talking like a brick wall mr. 'you have no idea what you're talking about' because we just expressed different anecdotal experiences??? Sorry i took offense at 'your experiences are invalid." you have cooler old head acquaintances than i do i guess. big deal.

good night

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    There's a certain amount of "conviction" and "originality" that goes into timeless music.

What kind of originality are you looking for in a club song? What's not convincing about this song? It's a song about a dance, what kind of "conviction" are you looking for here? Is The Twist not a timeless song? Cuz that shit was about a dance. Or the Breakdown by Rufus Thomas? All he's doing is singing about how to do a dance, how lacking in originality and conviction! Walk It Out will be remembered, regardless of whether or not you can find the value in it. Plus, the remix was off the hook!

STOP BEING A BITCH, GET A FUCKING LIFE, AND GET OFF HIS FUCKING NUTS YOU HERB!

AND GET BETTER TASTE IN MUSIC!

cute but when i told you what i told you i meant it.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

can we at least agree that it's not much of a dance?

Haha, it's more of a dance than Lean Back and Shoulder Lean at least, right? Those two are dances for people who don't dance. I, myself, have never actually tried to "Walk It Out" though...

plus I get the feeling the "dance" was sort of created by the "song" which was supposed to be about a "dance" that didn't really exist without the "song."

Make a hit AND a dance at the same time? And have one completely compliment the other in order for both to work? Shit, that's brilliant, I ain't mad!

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

uh ok 'witty retorts' aside i dont see how i'm the one who's talking like a brick wall mr. 'you have no idea what you're talking about' because we just expressed different anecdotal experiences??? Sorry i took offense at 'your experiences are invalid." you have cooler old head acquaintances than i do i guess. big deal.

good night

No Deej because like almost everything you talk about on this board you are completely talking out of your ass. All three of those rappers are some of the best to do it, and were when they came on the scene. THAT was and is the consensus of almost EVERY rap listener. You seriously need to play the sidelines on shit that you never experienced. And your parent's rap experiences don't count for shit in these discussions so please stop referring to your research with them being some kind of fact.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This kid was blasting some kind of cheesy beats out his car. Like high-pitched synth sounds and shit, i turned off my music, listened in and noticed that it was the Lil Weezy/Birdman album. Don't get me wrong Lil Weezy is cool, but it reminded me of the Trance scene almost a decade ago.

That album is excellent.

"Doobie Ashtray" is more certifiably classic than MANY of these songs but it probably isn't a classic in the sense discussed here, if that makes any sense.

You mean it's got a "classic" sound

33 and others - we are not the ones who will determine which of these records are classics... but I can tell you that the people in this thread who say this is all disposable, it's not permanent, it's not gonna last... are dead wrong. That's just not the way music works. People are not going to look back and be like "wow, that Sean Price record was a classic" or "man, that Sadat X joint was a modern day classic"... NO... they are going to be like "man remember 'Walk It Out'?" and a bunch of then-50 year olds will be trying to do those dances at a 2030 backyard bbq.

Pretty much, although I still do think that "D.A." will be considered a classic in years to come.

But then again, what do I KNOW about rap music.

What is "D.A."?

There's a certain amount of "conviction" and "originality" that goes into timeless music.

What kind of originality are you looking for in a club song? What's not convincing about this song? It's a song about a dance, what kind of "conviction" are you looking for here? Is The Twist not a timeless song? Cuz that shit was about a dance. Or the Breakdown by Rufus Thomas? All he's doing is singing about how to do a dance, how lacking in originality and conviction! Walk It Out will be remembered, regardless of whether or not you can find the value in it. Plus, the remix was off the hook!

can we at least agree that it's not much of a dance?

plus I get the feeling the "dance" was sort of created by the "song" which was supposed to be about a "dance" that didn't really exist without the "song."

The westside walk did not originate with that record.

Once again: if you dudes don't like it, then don't listen to it, but don't go throwing around phrases like "one hit wonder" when you don't know anything about DJ Unk's history or that Oomp Camp. It's not even true in the most literal sense: dude's had two hits in the past year--three if you count the remix.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Walk it Out Rmx still gets plenty of play around here, I don't think anyone's tired of it yet (and it got played to ALL HELL already)

The Walk it Out dance also hasn't gone anywhere, its even part of the Cupid Shuffle- which is starting to hit right now as a matter of fact (another song that will probably become a classic to folks who will not be recognized by some of these poasters)

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

With a song such as Walk It Out being considered....I would like to include the Macarena in this thread. While the song is actually technically about a girl - the dance is the macarena. Los Del Rio and the female vocalists are pretty much rapping. It shits all over UNK as far as being a cultural phenomenon and tracks way higher in BDS....maybe not currently...but altogether. Only piece of criteria missing is that it's not from the new millenium. But man...this is fire! Classic!

Ok...late entry....but this is of the new millenium....and these guys are rapping. I hear 808s in there too. This song was huge! Dammit...there's no dance. Ok well it's a classic anyway! They were yelling this hook way before Lil Jon! And they got Oakleys and dreads.
    Classic!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Well damn, you know TROY used drums and saxophone just like those Huey Lewis hits so...

Whats up with the terminology in this thread? BDS? DA???

Well damn, you know TROY used drums and saxophone just like those Huey Lewis hits so...

Whats up with the terminology in this thread? BDS? DA???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_Broadcast_Data_Systems

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    if you don't like new rap, what makes you think you're qualified to discuss modern day classics ?

if you don't like new rap, what makes you think you're qualified to discuss modern day classics ?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    THAT was and is the consensus of almost EVERY rap listener.
    u took a survey?
    never mind that i never even brought up an 'old head consensus'

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Walk it Out Rmx still gets plenty of play around here, I don't think anyone's tired of it yet (and it got played to ALL HELL already)

The Walk it Out dance also hasn't gone anywhere, its even part of the Cupid Shuffle- which is starting to hit right now as a matter of fact (another song that will probably become a classic to folks who will not be recognized by some of these poasters)
    this track is already all over the place here. i kind of like how different it sounds from a lot of the dance records that are popular right now

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    This kid was blasting some kind of cheesy beats out his car. Like high-pitched synth sounds and shit, i turned off my music, listened in and noticed that it was the Lil Weezy/Birdman album. Don't get me wrong Lil Weezy is cool, but it reminded me of the Trance scene almost a decade ago.

That's been happening for a minute, though. I remember this girl telling me about Usher's "Yeah!" quite some time before I actually heard it, when it was just beginning to get club and radio play in the States. She was all, "You have to hear this, it's incredible - it sounds like a slowed-down Belgian rave record from 1990!". And it does, too. I see people talking about trance-rap and rave-hop and shit like that, but some producers have been using old-school rave presets and analog shit like Nordleads for a few years now.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

That album is excellent.

It surprises me how little attention this album gets. Was this mainly due to daddy kissing that occured around the same time or more to do with the saturation of Weezy releases in that period?

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

I don't remember any of the three guys you just mentioned EVER being "shitted on by 'old heads'" - all three were pretty much welcomed out the gate as really entertaining rappers.

You've never heard anyone complaining that 2pac, Biggie and Jay Z were promoting negativity, mysoginy or that their tales of drug dealing and their constant references to name brand were superficial ? Ever ?

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

Just like The Humpty Dance actually

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I don't remember any of the three guys you just mentioned EVER being "shitted on by 'old heads'" - all three were pretty much welcomed out the gate as really entertaining rappers.

You've never heard anyone complaining that 2pac, Biggie and Jay Z were promoting negativity, mysoginy or that their tales of drug dealing and their constant references to name brand were superficial ? Ever ?

How's your reading comprehension classes going these days? Off to a slow start, huh?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

I seem to recall Biggie and Jay being kind've universally accepted as dope rappers almost immediately, but from what I remember, Tupac didn't really get much love on the east coast until he died.

-e

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I seem to recall Biggie and Jay being kind've universally accepted as dope rappers almost immediately, but from what I remember, Tupac didn't really get much love on the east coast until he died.

-e

From what my research showed, it was actually older folks that liked 2pac at the beginning - people that remembered him from Digital Underground.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

From what my research showed, it was actually older folks that liked 2pac at the beginning - people that remembered him from Digital Underground.

I have emperical evidence that 2 Pac was loved by chunky redneck girls in rural PA and upon his death they lit candles and cried in science class.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I have emperical evidence that 2 Pac was loved by chunky redneck girls in rural PA and upon his death they lit candles and cried in science class.

I don't believe your CONTROL GROUP, dude.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Don't make me get out the fucking graphs and the pie chart, dude.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Don't make me get out the fucking graphs and the pie chart, dude.

It's all in the name of scientific research - the 16th element of hip-hop, dude.

• "Doobie Ashtray" is more certifiably classic than MANY of these songs but it probably isn't a classic in the sense discussed here, if that makes any sense.

You mean it's got a "classic" sound

I mean I think the song as a whole is significantly better than a lot of the songs posted and accepted in this thread that are more widely embraced due to radio play. I don't listen to the radio much...really at all but I can't imagine "Doobie Ashtray" got a lot of run.

Perhaps my understanding is incorrect, but it seems acceptance by the majority is a big factor in the songs and records (from the hiphop genre) that are tabbed as "classic".

I mean, if you like rap, you're supposed to know about Devin, but how many people really do outside of the South and those who know?

Most of the stuff I know about is Southern. I'm sure there are many, many hiphop records from the East and West I'm supposed to know and like but they rarely make it to my ears.