I LOVE AMY WINEHOUSE

Comments

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    I like Amy's music.

I like even better that the Dap-Kings are getting paid (I hope) off this.

i agree O-Dub. I'm not mad at her. I got caught singing in my office last week by a co-worker and they were all like: are you listening to amy winehouse?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    she's the BEST!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    LET'S HAVE A FULL FLEDGED AMY WHITEHOUSE WAR ON SOULSTRUT!

I WANT EVERY[/b] STRUTTER, REGULAR CONTRIBUTORS AND LURKERS ALIKE, TO CAST THEIR VOTE ON AMY. A SIMPLE YAY OR NAY WILL SUFFICE. BUT COMMENTS ABOUT THIS SUBSTANCE ABUSING SIREN, ESPECIALLY ANY THAT INCLUDE INCINDIARY REMARKS AIMED AT OTHER STRUTTERS WHO DON'T SHARE YOUR VIEWS, ARE MOST WELCOMED!!!![/b]

omg this could be great lolol!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I say "yay" because pop music should be so lucky to have anyone making remotely decent, well-played tunes at this point and she is engaging if only because the world loves a train wreck and Bobby & Whitney are so last year and hell what if Amy got down publically with like another total abuser like it would be the white version of Bobby & Whitney omg she could go on like flavor of love and try to marry flav and then dyke out with New York and that shit would GO DOWN most soulstrut dudes have a major bug up their ass called rare soul music and they expect every artist out to be a replication of like Alice Clark or some shit and it's like dude it's pop music you're lucky it's not a replication of Barbara Streisand.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    ill say Yay only if she wears a body bag to cover up her ugly looks.

...and for christsakes PLEASE work on that hairdo! its fucking hideous!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I heard she fights dogs with Michael Vick.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I would say YAY, but I dont think she'll sing over "Retro soul" for 7 albums. I see her morphing into something else down the line.

Different in the POP landscape. Decent Mock & Soul vocalist. Abrasive Public Image.

Time will tell.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Obviously, for me, a "nay"...her voice is shit and I dont buy the "its ok for pop music" stance...music is music and if it sucks it sucks. No special passes for pop music because it is the short bus of music, it has to play with the big kids just like everyone else.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Obviously, for me, a "nay"...her voice is shit and I dont buy the "its ok for pop music" stance...music is music and if it sucks it sucks. No special passes for pop music because it is the short bus of music, it has to play with the big kids just like everyone else.

That's "pompous psuedo-intellectual".....

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Yay, on the strength that homegirl is always out to lunch.

• mrdeemrdee 29 Posts
    lurker steppin up to give a yay on the poll
    here be the instros for those who dont like
    her singing......
    http://rapidshare.com/files/40806318/Amy_Winehouse_-_Back_To_Black__Instrumentals_.rar.html

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I don't mind her that much, really. However, there are few tracks that I have to skip, so I won't get pissed off.

Ebb and flow of music these days. A chick with a weight problem, grows a drug problem...people love her and hate her.

I wonder what the next level will be of this industry?? Chicks having babies with nasty men? Wait that's be done already.

who knows...

this attention thing is a waste for good music. But if people like it, oh well. I don't hate them for it.

One of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen is someone hating someone so much because of what music they like.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

One of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen is someone hating someone so much because of what music they like.

There is nothing wrong with not liking someone because they have bad taste in music.

In Fact, It's the best reason.

Just kidding, Elise.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

There is nothing wrong with not liking someone because they have bad taste in music.

In Fact, It's the best reason.

Just kidding, Elise.

[elise impression]

Gooey gumdrops...hmppphhhh.

[/elise impression]

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    AMY WINEHOUSE > HARRY POTTER

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    AMY WINEHOUSE > HARRY POTTER

Nay.

I was listening to these vids last night. Can't front on her bands, they are great. They can really lock a groove. I realized last night that her singing is not Billie Holiday inspired, as the last thread claimed. Nor is her voice like that because she is drunk, as the romantics like to think. That voice is her imitation of an American accent! If you can listen to it, more power to you.

By the Phill is playing you all. Old timers know that he believes you all like Amy Winehouse over Sharon Jones because you want to listen to some good Black soul music being made by someone who looks like you. You need White heroes.

For me I can hate Amy because Harry Potter is my hero.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You need White heroes.

Amy Winehouse is my hero!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    By the Phill is playing you all. Old timers know that he believes you all like Amy Winehouse over Sharon Jones because you want to listen to some good Black soul music being made by someone who looks like you. You need White heroes.

Naw, actually I really like Amy Whorehouse and this "Back To Black" lp. Not that I don't think she's a vile little urchin- I do (spitting on fans? ugh). Mostly I guess I just like the fact that she's doing the kind of music that she's doing in today's musical climate. Plus she adds her own trashy element to it so that it sets itself apart from the other retro soul folks out there. So it's old but it's still new, ya get me?
    Regardless, none of that would matter if she didn't have some songs that just grabbed my azz. Not that "Rehab" schitt- I ain't really mad at that, but it's not one of the songs I play much off the album (and I don't listen to stations that play it so i haven't heard it enough to be totally sick of it). "Tears Dry On There Own", "Unholy War", "Back To Black" and "He Can Only Hold Her"... i keep those schitts on heavy rotation in the whip.

Now, the whole "white heroes" issue- that's a whole other thing that really has nothing to do with Amy herself or the music she does. I'm on my office computer right now so I won't get into that dialogue right now, but maybe I'll fan those inticing flames later when I get back to the cribpiece.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Let's GOOO!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I WANT EVERY[/b] STRUTTER, REGULAR CONTRIBUTORS AND LURKERS ALIKE, TO CAST THEIR VOTE ON AMY. A SIMPLE YAY OR NAY WILL SUFFICE. BUT COMMENTS ABOUT THIS SUBSTANCE ABUSING SIREN, ESPECIALLY ANY THAT INCLUDE INCINDIARY REMARKS AIMED AT OTHER STRUTTERS WHO DON'T SHARE YOUR VIEWS, ARE MOST WELCOMED!!!![/b]

I vote "yay", for the same reasons I've given in previous Amy Winehouse threads. It seems to me that a lot of the hatt is motivated by her new-found popularity with both the hipster crowd and Becky, Kaitlyn 'n' 'em, as well as a degree of resentment over the fact that she's selling a lot of records and someone like Sharon Jones isn't. Personally I think Sharon Jones deserves to be a far bigger star than she is, but the fact she isn't has nothing to do with Amy Winehouse, and a lot to do with the fact that artists are rarely, if ever, successful on merit and hard work alone. Not to suggest that Amy Winehouse is without merit - "Love's A Losing Game" should be proof enough of that - but just because she's being marketed as the First Great Soul Diva of the Noughties doesn't mean that's how she sees herself, or that it's how we should be seeing her. Take it (or don't, please yourself) for what it is, not what it isn't or what you think it should be.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I vote "yay", for the same reasons I've given in previous Amy Winehouse threads. It seems to me that a lot of the hatt is motivated by her new-found popularity with both the hipster crowd and Becky, Kaitlyn 'n' 'em, as well as a degree of resentment over the fact that she's selling a lot of records and someone like Sharon Jones isn't. Personally I think Sharon Jones deserves to be a far bigger star than she is, but the fact she isn't has nothing to do with Amy Winehouse, and a lot to do with the fact that artists are rarely, if ever, successful on merit and hard work alone. Not to suggest that Amy Winehouse is without merit - "Love's A Losing Game" should be proof enough of that - but just because she's being marketed as the First Great Soul Diva of the Noughties doesn't mean that's how she sees herself, or that it's how we should be seeing her. Take it (or don't, please yourself) for what it is, not what it isn't or what you think it should be.

You know man, I've been just egging people on with my contributions to these Amy threads, but I have to actually vote "Yay" and say that I think you made a great arguement.

Honestly, I've only heard a little bit of her stuff (I have her album around here somewhere, I'll listen to it today) but all in all what I've heard isn't bad.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I dig most of the album, though I find that I got tired of it quickly. I've been listening to Sharon Jones & the Daps since the first 45 dropped and I haven't tired of any of their music yet. Most of the Winehorse stuff just sounds more disposable to me with the exception of You Know I'm No Good and Back to Black which feel like classics. I'd still give it a "yay", though. Not great. Not necessarily worth all of the hype (on a musical level). But good.

I'd say the project has had a very good effect on the Daps. They just performed for the ESPN awards. I doubt that gig would've come their way without the exposure they've received from the Winehorse record. So the shine that it's bringing to them as a group is another reason to give it a "yay". I'll bet the next Sharon Jones record will receive more exposure because of all of this. Not saying she'll get to the Winehorse level but I bet a whole new group of people will be checking for that record. Hell, she's toured with Lou Reed recently ... Sharon's doing her thing.

And, in somewhat related news, Ms. Jones has a small part in an upcoming film with Forest Whitaker and Denzel Washington (I'm guessing it must be The Great Debaters ... she's not listed on IMDB but this news came straight from her). It'll be great to see her on the big screen, even if it's only a couple of lines.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Honestly, I've only heard a little bit of her stuff (I have her album around here somewhere, I'll listen to it today) but all in all what I've heard isn't bad.

Normally I try to speak not on what i know not, but since Phill has asked for everyone's opinion, I'm 85% sure I agree with Cosmo.

Except I won't listen to it today. No no no.

• Where does Lily Allen stack up in this argument? Isn't she Ronson's other soul project?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Where does Lily Allen stack up in this argument?

Disqualified because of her involvement with LaCrate and her third nipple.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Where does Lily Allen stack up in this argument? Isn't she Ronson's other soul project?

Nah, Lily Allen's a whole other ball game, on some Voice of Young West London/pop-reggae steelo. Also, it's a bit unfair to describe Amy Winehouse as Mark Ronson's "project", as she'd already done an album without any input from Ronson that was in many respects coming from a similar musical direction to this one. Perceptions like this are interesting, though. I'm not saying you're suggesting she's just a hipster-friendly front for someone else's ideas and concepts, but I bet there's a lot of people who are.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    She's just awful. Such a terrible singer. Mumbling ass derivative shit. If she had an ounce of musical talent, it would be great to know she is helping to (re)popularize this style, but I think her lack of talent will only lend superficial, passing notice to the style. Damn, I'd love to see Rihanna with some of those bands.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    She's just awful. Such a terrible singer. Mumbling ass derivative shit. If she had an ounce of musical talent, it would be great to know she is helping to (re)popularize this style, but I think her lack of talent will only lend superficial, passing notice to the style. Damn, I'd love to see Rihanna with some of those bands.[/b]

Part of the reason why Ann Winehouse is popular with fans who profess a love for "soul" (however one might define that) is because they can't get with Rihanna or all these other post-Beyonce knock-offs. Personally, I'm not mad at Rihanna or contemporary R&B in general but I can see why Winehouse (or Jones or Willis) would appeal to folks who can't hang with the current sound of soul.

That said, I'm not trying to hear Rihanna with the Dap Kings.

Also, the new Sharon Jones/Dap-Kings album is, by far, the best shit they've ever put out.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    She's just awful. Such a terrible singer. Mumbling ass derivative shit. If she had an ounce of musical talent, it would be great to know she is helping to (re)popularize this style, but I think her lack of talent will only lend superficial, passing notice to the style. Damn, I'd love to see Rihanna with some of those bands.[/b]

Part of the reason why Ann Winehouse is popular with fans who profess a love for "soul" (however one might define that) is because they can't get with Rihanna or all these other post-Beyonce knock-offs. Personally, I'm not mad at Rihanna or contemporary R&B in general but I can see why Winehouse (or Jones or Willis) would appeal to folks who can't hang with the current sound of soul.

That said, I'm not trying to hear Rihanna with the Dap Kings.

Also, the new Sharon Jones/Dap-Kings album is, by far, the best shit they've ever put out.

isnt the fact that she does play with these bands part of the draw?

Im sure its not just her people like... but more the whole sound and vibe her music provides...