I LOVE AMY WINEHOUSE

13»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    She's just awful. Such a terrible singer. Mumbling ass derivative shit. If she had an ounce of musical talent, it would be great to know she is helping to (re)popularize this style, but I think her lack of talent will only lend superficial, passing notice to the style. Damn, I'd love to see Rihanna with some of those bands.[/b]

Part of the reason why Ann Winehouse is popular with fans who profess a love for "soul" (however one might define that) is because they can't get with Rihanna or all these other post-Beyonce knock-offs. Personally, I'm not mad at Rihanna or contemporary R&B in general but I can see why Winehouse (or Jones or Willis) would appeal to folks who can't hang with the current sound of soul.

That said, I'm not trying to hear Rihanna with the Dap Kings.

Also, the new Sharon Jones/Dap-Kings album is, by far, the best shit they've ever put out.

isnt the fact that she does play with these bands part of the draw?

Im sure its not just her people like... but more the whole sound and vibe her music provides...

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting otherwise (and if you've seen all I've written about Winehouse, I've taken pains to suggest that part of her popularity has to do with what Ronson and the Dap-Kings are able to do for her image and sound).

But never, ever would Sharon Jones go platinum. And not just b/c she's a 50 year old Black woman (though that's part of it). They're also very different song writers and a tune like "Rehab" is something that Jones would never write. That said, I really hope she blows up off this next album, though, in that case, it would mean selling at least 100,000.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    She's just awful. Such a terrible singer. Mumbling ass derivative shit. If she had an ounce of musical talent, it would be great to know she is helping to (re)popularize this style, but I think her lack of talent will only lend superficial, passing notice to the style. Damn, I'd love to see Rihanna with some of those bands.[/b]

Part of the reason why Ann Winehouse is popular with fans who profess a love for "soul" (however one might define that) is because they can't get with Rihanna or all these other post-Beyonce knock-offs. Personally, I'm not mad at Rihanna or contemporary R&B in general but I can see why Winehouse (or Jones or Willis) would appeal to folks who can't hang with the current sound of soul.

That said, I'm not trying to hear Rihanna with the Dap Kings.

Also, the new Sharon Jones/Dap-Kings album is, by far, the best shit they've ever put out.

isnt the fact that she does play with these bands part of the draw?

Im sure its not just her people like... but more the whole sound and vibe her music provides...

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting otherwise (and if you've seen all I've written about Winehouse, I've taken pains to suggest that part of her popularity has to do with what Ronson and the Dap-Kings are able to do for her image and sound).

But never, ever would Sharon Jones go platinum. And not just b/c she's a 50 year old Black woman (though that's part of it). They're also very different song writers and a tune like "Rehab" is something that Jones would never write. That said, I really hope she blows up off this next album, though, in that case, it would mean selling at least 100,000.

I just pray to God that Whinehouse doesn't die too soon. She'd prolly be some shriveled ass dickless Jeff Buckley.

Hang in there girl!

*[/b]

*sayin' i'm just thinking (hoping, praying) if ya'll keep ridin' her gargling gutter ass every week, we can get these threads on first couple of a pages next time she googles herself.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    wow,
    so this really turned into another amy winehouse thread. i thought it was a joke at first.
    kudos phill.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Rihanna with the Dap Kings.

wow. really you think this would be good?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I vote yay for the Jewish chick with good hair

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    Rihanna with the Dap Kings.

wow. really you think this would be good?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    YAY!

i think she's sexy but more for her singing than her looks. in fact i really don't want find her too attractive to look at, but what the hell does that have to do with anything? and not to say she has the greatest voice but i'm feeling the shit.

back to black, dope album (yeah i said dope). someone played me a track back in february, i bought it the next day and wore it out over the course of the next 3 weeks. i haven't bought an album and listened to it all the way through multiple times in a looooong time (the last one would be by the clipse, white stripes or raphael saadiq).

again YAY!

(yeah i said dope)

I think we can dispense with this disclaimer.

those that don't use the word "dope" or who have a probelm with it aren't worthy of excuses anyway.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I vote whatever for the Jewish chick with clip-on hair

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    (yeah i said dope)

I think we can dispense with this disclaimer.

those that don't use the word "dope" or who have a probelm with it aren't worthy of excuses anyway.

I vote yay for the Jewish chick with good hair

which chick would that be?

cause this Winehaus chick has a rats nest on her head.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was saying a big part of her vocal style, that winey mumble, is her attempt at an American accent.

What say ye?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I was saying a big part of her vocal style, that winey mumble, is her attempt at an American accent.

What say ye?

Yes, worse than Oasis Elton John, now dead this thread.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yay on the drunken lady just doing her thing and not giving a fuck.

nay on the music. doesnt bother me, but not really feelingit
    (although the beat it rendition was fun for a couple viewings)

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    yay.

tears dry on their own is a great song.