Rap album you've listened to the most

Comments

• I'm not incredulous at the idea of somebody saying "You know, here's an underappreciated gem--I really like this album".

I am incredulous when somebody tells me that they've listened to Rough House Surivivors more than any other rap album ever.

Yeah, I don't know what that is. But cmon, late period De La and CoFlow? They may not be your faves but I know you know cats were diggin on that shit, regardless of how much you're amazed by that fact.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

What is wrong with you people?

They've got the gall not to listen to you and your "east coast rap cabal".

You know, the resentment that some of you guys seem to feel towards the board's New Yorkers borders on the absurd. Personally, I find it both hurtful and disappointing. I think I can speak for all of us in NY when I say that we have no geographical axe to grind with any of you.

That said, never forget that New York runs you snitches.

Born and bred in NY is one thing...that breeds a rivalry.

Relocating to NY is whole 'nother thing...that breeds contempt.

Thankyou, Shied--I believe we are already familiar with your theories on carpetbaggeurism and authenticity.

As a review...a dude grows up in the South and unavoidably hears constant shitstorms of people from NYC crapping on just about everything about the South...yet still concludes that...yes, I want to go live with those people in that environement.

Heart of a milk dud on at least some level.

I'm not incredulous at the idea of somebody saying "You know, here's an underappreciated gem--I really like this album".

I am incredulous when somebody tells me that they've listened to Rough House Surivivors more than any other rap album ever.

Yeah, I don't know what that is. But cmon, late period De La and CoFlow? They may not be your faves but I know you know cats were diggin on that shit, regardless of how much you're amazed by that fact.

You said "cats"...quite appropriate in a Co Flow context at least.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm not incredulous at the idea of somebody saying "You know, here's an underappreciated gem--I really like this album".

That's a slightly different issue. I'm not incredulous at the idea of Funcrusher being somebody's most listened-to rap album--I know that there are plenty of such people out there--but I do wonder what is wrong with those people.

It's a cool album for what it is--but it's not something to center your personal rap universe around.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    by far

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

That's a slightly different issue. I'm not incredulous at the idea of Funcrusher being somebody's most listened-to rap album--I know that there are plenty of such people out there--but I do wonder what is wrong with those people.

It's a cool album for what it is--but it's not something to center your personal rap universe around.
    perhaps they are independent as fuck

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts
    Jeru - Sun rises 

and

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

By a long shot.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    De La is Dead, 100 miles NWA, Wolf in sheep's clothing, and the chronic

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    mine would be something like 'chronic 2001,' 'rhythmalism,' 'i got that work' or 'hard to earn'

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    LOOK I AM NOT A DORITOS-FACED DESK JOCKEY. I AM AN ENTREPRENEUR WITH A BAD ASS BITCH. I LIKE 50 CENT. YOU LIKE MADLIB. MAKES SENSE. DEAL WITH IT.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I knew it would take long for cats to get gully up in here.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

By a long shot.

really? I totally had you pegged for something like this

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

By a long shot.

really? I totally had you pegged for something like this

but have y'all listened to these albums 100 times?

• LOOK I AM NOT A DORITOS-FACED DESK JOCKEY. I AM AN ENTREPRENEUR WITH A BAD ASS BITCH. I LIKE 50 CENT. YOU LIKE MADLIB. MAKES SENSE. DEAL WITH IT.

Couldn't work any KKKs in there?

• --but it's not something to center your personal rap universe around.

Yeah...I can't speak for that dude but like you mentioned a lot of this stuff was "listened to the most" in younger days. I too wore that one out when it first came out. Still ride for it but probably haven't played it in some years.

The personal rap universe is constantly evolving, no?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The personal rap universe is constantly evolving expanding

Step up your astrophysical metaphor game, son!

No....

Main Source
    EpMd
    Too Short
    Geto Boys
    LL Cool J
    2 Live Crew
    Redman

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts

(sorry noz...)
    Stakes is High

I know a lot of y'all don't like this record, and there really isn't a need for people do defend my choice of it, or to defend folks' ribbing of my choice.

'cause this isn't a subjective question. It's a fact that I've listened to that album a shit ton. Whether or not it remains one of my favorite hip-hop records (which it does, for the most part) doesn't really have anything to do with it.

And it has NOTHING to do with an East Coast cabal or anything like that. I just happen to know that Noz (who's tastes I'm usually relatively in line with) HATES this record. Fair play to all the folks who do not feel it.

• And it has NOTHING to do with an East Coast cabal

Oh, it does. IT DOES. You thought the Freemasons were insidious? I shudder just typing about this. I've probably said too much.

(sorry noz...)
    Stakes is High

I know a lot of y'all don't like this record, and there really isn't a need for people do defend my choice of it, or to defend folks' ribbing of my choice.

'cause this isn't a subjective question. It's a fact that I've listened to that album a shit ton. Whether or not it remains one of my favorite hip-hop records (which it does, for the most part) doesn't really have anything to do with it.

And it has NOTHING to do with an East Coast cabal or anything like that. I just happen to know that Noz (who's tastes I'm usually relatively in line with) HATES this record. Fair play to all the folks who do not feel it.

Its alright, but to not taste the earlier stuff is weird IMO.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

And it has NOTHING to do with an East Coast cabal

Oh, it does. IT DOES. You thought the Freemasons were insidious? I shudder just typing about this. I've probably said too much.

• That's DOPE.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I like Stakes is High.

It is not, however, one of my most listened to albums.

3 Feet High & Rising is kinda up there, though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I like Stakes is High.

It is not, however, one of my most listened to albums.

A foundation text of ass-hurt rap.

(sorry noz...)
    Stakes is High

I just happen to know that Noz (who's tastes I'm usually relatively in line with) HATES this record.

Dammit Noz, I want to be the dude that people associate with hating that zilchfuck of an album.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I just happen to know that Noz (who's tastes I'm usually relatively in line with) HATES this record.

That's not completely accurate. I HATE what it stands for (De La becoming frowning old men), but I like a few of the songs the part where Pos goes "i forgot how to forget so i remember your face"

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    forgot this one:

Man this album was so necessary when I was in HS!
    My List: Geto Boys-We can't Be Stopped, Eazy-E-Eazy Duz it & 2pac/Makaveli-7 Day Theory.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    my most listened album is probably resurrection.