Rough House Survivers: Straight From The Soul
    Cenubites
    The Coup: Kill My Landlord
    Smif n Wessun: Dah Shinin
    Jeru: The Sun Rises in the East

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    YOUNG JEEZY - THUG MOTIVATION 101

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    nations of millions, let the rhythm hit em, and probably fear of a black planet too

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Cenubites

Wow.

I see we've reached that inevitable point where every thread ostensibly devoted to the most superlative examples of a given form simply becomes an exercise in dudes trying to list every example of that form.

Yes, I realize "most listened to album" is personal; no, I cannot wrap my head around the idea that Rough House Survivors would actually be among anybody's most listened to albums.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    You may not be able to wrap your head around that, but roll your soul around this:

I let the tape rock 'till the tape popped.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Deltron3030 which I have listened to a good 100 plus times.

obviously you are only like 12 yrs old so I am not saying 100 is a low number of rotations given your age.

but it does make me wonder how many times I have heard my "most played albums" in the course of my life.

to take just one of mine, Illmatic, I guess it came out in 1994. it's a relatively short album and during the years 1994-1995 I prolly listened to it on average once a day (several times a day on certain days, certain days not at all). that's well over 600 listens. in two years (conservatively).

and it's been over ten years since then so lord knows how many times I've played this album in my lifetime.....

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Cenubites

Wow.

I see we've reached that inevitable point where every thread ostensibly devoted to the most superlative examples of a given form simply becomes an exercise in dudes trying to list every example of that form.

Yes, I realize "most listened to album" is personal; no, I cannot wrap my head around the idea that Rough House Survivors would actually be among anybody's most listened to albums.

Next, I hope someone brings up Y'all So Stupid.

(Whoops! Slow on the trigger!)

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

that's not what your girl said!

You may not be able to wrap your head around that, but roll your soul around this:

I let the tape rock 'till the tape popped.

I just rediscovered that!

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    Stakes is High

• planlessplanless 819 Posts

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Buhloone Mindstate

yup, as far as albums listened to w/o skipping anything.

What is wrong with you people?

• What is wrong with you people?

They've got the gall not to listen to you and your "east coast rap cabal".

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    CMW - Music To Driveby.
    Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Wanted Dead Or Alive.
    Smif N Wessun - Dah Shinin'
    Cypress Hill - S/T.
    Mobb Deep - The Infamous.

Those 5 got rinsed thoroughly!

You know, the resentment that some of you guys seem to feel towards the board's New Yorkers borders on the absurd. Personally, I find it both hurtful and disappointing. I think I can speak for all of us in NY when I say that we have no geographical axe to grind with any of you.

That said, never forget that New York runs you snitches.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Won't alot of answers in this thread have to do with age? Realistically, the best de la soul album to most people is the album that dropped when they were 19, whenever that was.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

that's not what your girl said!

Which one?

• What is wrong with you people?

You know, the resentment that some of you guys seem to feel towards the board's New Yorkers borders on the absurd. Personally, I find it both hurtful and disappointing. I think I can speak for all of us in NY when I say that we have no geographical axe to grind with any of you.

Please, you give yourself too much credit. I said east coast. Noz is in DC, right?

And that wasn't the point. I'm incredulous at your incredulousness at what people like.

I mean, some nut-job told me some 50 Cent album was one of the best post-2000 hiphop albums. WTF?

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

Im sure you're wondering what the hell? But this one holds a special place back in the day.

man i was goin to start a thread about this album. i got it when it came out and ran the hell out of it. found it again and this hasnt left my car stereo for the past month.
    this joint is great

as for my most ran album?
    probably this.

im not tryin to be obscure, but it was really because it was one of my first cds. the transfer from tapes to cds was a long drawn out process so i think i played that one for about 6 months straight.

Please, you give yourself too much credit. I said east coast. Noz is in DC, right?

And that wasn't the point. I'm incredulous at your incredulousness at what people like.

I'm not incredulous at the idea of somebody saying "You know, here's an underappreciated gem--I really like this album".

I am incredulous when somebody tells me that they've listened to Rough House Surivivors more than any other rap album ever.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Born and bred in NY is one thing...that breeds a rivalry.

Relocating to NY is whole 'nother thing...that breeds contempt.

Born and bred in NY is one thing...that breeds a rivalry.

Relocating to NY is whole 'nother thing...that breeds contempt.

Thankyou, Shied--I believe we are already familiar with your theories on carpetbaggeurism and authenticity.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts