Rap album you've listened to the most

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

By a long shot.
    to me this is still the blueprint for how an album should sound.the varying subjects ice cube rapped about, the production

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Realistically, the best de la soul album to most people is the album that dropped when they were 19, whenever that was.

UGH

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    LL Cool J - Bad, Yo Bum Rush Tha Show, License to Ill, Follow the leader, Stetsasonic - In Full Gear, 3 x dope, Raising Hell

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Fear of a Black Planet, The Chronic, and Check Your Head. The last one was always on at parties when I was in college. I am most likely to dust off the first two, though.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned License to Ill. Maybe the board's not old enough, or I'm too old. But when I was in junior high in the suburbs, and this album dropped, it's all we had (all we knew, really). By sheer number of listens in my life, this LP would probably take the top spot.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

(sorry noz...)
    Stakes is High

I just happen to know that Noz (who's tastes I'm usually relatively in line with) HATES this record.

Dammit Noz, I want to be the dude that people associate with hating that zilchfuck of an album.

I never heard this until I met Raj/delay/otisfunkmeier a couple years back. We were driving somewhere & this was playing in the car. It sounded good enough for me to be surprised that I slept on it. why the hatt?

• Fear of a Black Planet, The Chronic, and Check Your Head. The last one was always on at parties when I was in college. I am most likely to dust off the first two, though.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned License to Ill. Maybe the board's not old enough, or I'm too old. But when I was in junior high in the suburbs, and this album dropped, it's all we had (all we knew, really). By sheer number of listens in my life, this LP would probably take the top spot.

Yeah when this and the Run DMC joint dropped thats all anybody was listening to in my part of the world. I suppose I have the whole RUN DMC shit memorized, now that I think about it.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    I was thinking about this this very morning! (probably forgetting a couple)
    but these are my favorites

wolf in sheep's clothing, runaway slave, low end theory, resurrection, street level, enter 36 chamber, liscensed to ill, nation of millions, raising hell, bizarre ryde to the pharcyde, cypress hill's 1st, goin off, buhloon mindstate,dela is dead are all VERY close behind]

#1 is prolly diamond d

• Stezo - Crazy Noise
    L.I. Groove - Hard 2 obtain

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Realistically, the best de la soul album to most people is the album that dropped when they were 19, whenever that was.

UGH

haha this is the one w/ baby phat on it right? perhaps this explains yr breathless enthusiasm for the boring new devin album :-O

oops, can't forget my headwrap phase: De La is Dead

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    damn i still bump stakes is high. i guess i missed why some dont dig it, but i think its a good album... gots nice beats and rhymes.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    oops, can't forget my headwrap phase:

show some pictures or you're soft taco

• Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

i wore out my tape of this.. down to where the writing was completely gone.. both my LPs are VG--..

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

i.e. last week.

haha, just a figure of speech

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    very similar to Rootless, on account of he gaffled by tapes as a youngster..

^^^ never liked rapp till she met me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

haha, just a figure of speech

stop shammin'

I want the shot of you next to a mural of miles Davis with some incense smoke rising up from the jewlery box where you keep your bamboo necklaces

• I waited in line to get my CD signed. It was like me - the middle aged lady, and tons of moms with their 12-year-old kids. I was prolly older than a lot of the Moms.

I'm not so sure this was such a great album. Or, if it was the right album at the right time. Was feeling particularly mental at the time. You know how music really "talks" to you when you're feeling a little loopy?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I'm not so sure this was such a great album. Or, if it was the right album at the right time. Was feeling particularly mental at the time. You know how music really "talks" to you when you're feeling a little loopy?

I found that this record is one of those raer breeds that only gets better with time. I prolly listen to it more now than I did when it first dropped.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

easily

• loudwizardloudwizard 358 Posts

me too, i believe.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Criminal Minded
    Strictly Business
    Paid In Full
    Nation of Millions
    Straight Out the Jungle
    Critical Beatdown
    Liquid Swordz
    36 Chambers
    Chronic

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

UGH

haha this is the one w/ baby phat on it right? perhaps this explains yr breathless enthusiasm for the boring new devin album :-O

IF YOU ARE, IN FACT, NOZ YEARS OLD THEN, BY THE TRANSITIVE PROPERTIES OF THE CANONICAL THEOREM YOU MUST ALSO CONSIDER THIS TO BE THE BEST DE LA SOUL ALBUM.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    nations of millions...
    straight outta compton...
    liscensed to ill about a bazillion times

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    low end theory ...was the only tape i ever wore out.
    nations of millions
    36 chambers ... holy shit, i will never forget seeing the video for Method Man on The Box at my grandparent's cable late night while the family slept. that was a seminal moment, no ayo.

buhloone mindstate, death certificate, & ressurection are the three that keep getting play for me- they have grown old with me.

good thread.

• Illmatic

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Definitely my most heavily spun of all time is:

Others that got played to death (and still get rotation) :

And yes I really do spin the Yaggfu a lot. I think those guys had mad talent and creativity.

In the last few years with so few releases coming out that I personally enjoy, I find now that when I find an album I really connect to I play it to death to the point where I know all the words and shit.

So it's a bit like going back to when I was young and I constantly pumped Criminal Minded/On Fire/Licence to ill, because back then there just weren?'t a great number of LP???s being released so anything we had we played to death.

So things I really dig now are getting played like a shit load times end to end and I kind of prefer this to the point when there were so many good albums I often only skimmed the surface of them.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This one's been on for a long ass time...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Run DMC-S/T
    LL Cool J-Radio
    UTFO-Skeezer Pleezer
    Beastie Boys- the 1st Three
    ATCQ-the first Three
    Eric B and Rakim-Paid In Full
    EPMD-Strictly Business
    Schooly D-Saturday Night
    Gang Star-Hard to Earn
    BDP-Criminal Minded/By Any Means...
    Wu Tang- 36 Chambers
    Common Sense-Resurrection
    Pete Rock and Cl Smooth-The Main Ingredient
    Eazy E-EZ Duz It
    NWA-Straight Outta Compton
    Ice T-Power
    Ice Cube-1st three
    De La-first four
    PE-1st Three
    Main Source-Breaking Atoms
    Pharcyde-Bizarre Ride
    Mantronix-1st 2
    Just Ice-Cold Gettin Dumg
    Big Daddy Kane-1st 2

Damn I used to listen to some rapppers rappity rap rap!