Rap album you've listened to the most

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited February 2018 in Music Talk
I was listening to this the other day:

And it occurred to me that I have probably listened to that more than any other rap album. I was kinda surprised, to be honest. When that came out, I listened to that and Common's "Resurrection" back to back in their entirety every day for at least three months. Just over and over....But I listened to "Resurrection" again a few weeks ago and--while it's still great [not really up for discussion here] and I still enjoyed it--it didn't leave me wanting to listen to it again any time soon. That's true for lots of albums I've played hundreds of times. Maybe I've just burned out on them. But I never got tired of that Beatnuts.I think that becoming a DJ has also severely restricted my "full album appreciation." Years ago, I started looking for the song I'd play out. That also coincided with what many have argued was a fall-off in overall album quality, but that's debatable and not really Jermaine to this Jackson.So, Strutters, which rap album have you listened to the most times in your life?
TAGGED:

Comments

• Fear Of A Black Planet, easily.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Nation Of Millions

b/w

Ghetto Music: The Blueprint Of Hip Hop

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Critical Beatdown/Straight Out The Jungle

• lord234lord234 236 Posts

• b/w soon as the 90s came

Wu - 36

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I'm guessing one of these:

36 Chambers

Runaway Slave

Liquid Swords

Long Live the Kane

Paid in Full

Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• Ooh- I wonder if I've listened to 36 chambers more than Black Planet...? maybe not. But its close.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    Stakes is High

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    nwa straight outta compton,
    pharcyde bizarre ride
    dr dre chronic
    raekwon ,only build
    gza liquid swords

• Paul's Boutique

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    actually, giving it a bit more thought, I think this one takes the cake, probably by a pretty long shot...

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i actually wore out a copy of 36 Chambers back in HS.

But I would probably bet money that i have listened to this album the most in my life (since i got it damn near 16yrs ago and still listen to it till this day).

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Probably this one:

Other possibilities:

Illmatic
    Midnight Marauders
    Resurrection
    36 Chambers
    Reasonable Doubt
    The Infamous
    Hard to Earn

All records that I played incessantly as a teenager, in a way that I don't play any record anymore.

• I had a tape with Enta da Stage and Illmatic on it in my old Camry.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

probably a close 2nd for me.

• Another one of these one answer jawns again...

...which, really isn't just one answer...so off the quick dome, to answer the Q is...

Ready To Die

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yes, I'm like a broken record...Playaz in tha Game.

Yes, like a self-involved dork...I'm going to try to break this shit down by years...

88-89 Srataight Outta Compton/Eazy Duz It/Life Is...Too $hort/Strictly Business
    91-92 Low End Theory/Mecca and the Soul Brother/Wolf in Sheep's Clothing/Step in the Arena/
    93 Inner City Griots/The Chronic/Enta da Stage/Enter the Wu Tang/Bizarre Ride II tha Pharcyde/21 and Over
    94 Playaz in tha Game/Illegal Business/Project Blowed/Regulate...The G Funk Era/Illmatic/Hip-Hopera/Fadenuf fa Erybody/Stress: The Extinction Agenda/Boxcar Sessions
    95-97 Potrait of a Serial Chiller/Do the Math/All Balls Don't Bounce
    98-01 Declassified/Biggest of the Baddest/South Central Thynk Tank
    02-04 Get Ya Mind Correct/Sunnmoonsekt/Madvillain
    05-07 Z-Ro's Greatest Verses

• As my musical tastes expanded, I listened to more and more albums, but with fewer listens each due to time constraints. I'll probably never displace it, since I just don't listen to albums that repetitively anymore.

true.
    kinda random what I ended up playing the most, due to lack of options these got put on repeat. mostly albums I stole from my older sister. all that hippy hop.

Buhloone Mind state

haven't listened to any of these but ATLiens in a minute.
    plus beatnuts, krs, wu, brand nubian...

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

HAHA! To quote Faux, are you creamy, spy?

• in a way that I don't play any record anymore.

I miss that shit and it's sad to think it would be near impossible to replicate those experiences at this point.

We need a "growing old" graemlin. Isn't that a song on ATLiens?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    paid in full
    dilla donuts (wait, does that count?)
    lord willin
    illmatic
    stunts blunts and hip hop
    soul liquor
    grind date

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Shit that's really close to you never really leaves rotation. I wont go a full season w/out listening to my picks.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Nation Of Millions

This is probably mine as well. I have damn near every single little aspect of this album memorized (except for "Party for Your Right To Fight," which I never liked).

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It Takes a Nation
    Staight Outta Compton
    3 Feet High and Rising
    The Chronic
    Ready to Die
    36 Chambers
    The Infamous
    Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
    Liquid Swords
    Supreme Clientele - as recent as this is in the grand scheme of things, it still has a good track record

• Im sure you're wondering what the hell? But this one holds a special place back in the day.