WHEN DOES THE NEW SEASON OF WIRE START?

Comments

• I think this was mentioned here already, but Clark Johnson is going to have a role in Season 5 and also direct the series finale, which is fitting since he directed the first one. Meldrick from H:LOTS.

If you need something to watch while waiting for the Wire, and you never watched H:LOTS, get those DVDS. That's "Homicide: Life on the Streets", former NBC ensemble crime drama.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    SPOILERS

My only very small complaint about Season Four is the lack of sexy scenes, cause The Wire even does those most excellently - with heat and humour and showing the right amount of bits of both men and women. And then, it was good that music was a little more upfront - BMore club music and The Meters during poker. The whole Move On Up seqeunce could have been a cheesey disaster, but they pulled it off.

• I recently watched Season 1 on DVD - but I've heard Season 2 isn't so hot - should I skip ahead???

---

Just to cosign on other people: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "SKIPPABLE" WIRE SEASON.

Does. Not. Exist.

And in any case, you'd be missing a shit load of character and story development. Regardless, you will NOT regret watching Season 2.

Plus, you'll miss all of the info on the greek and spiros who are definitely making an appearance in season 5, given Marlo's ambition.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    My only very small complaint about Season Four is the lack of sexy scenes, cause The Wire even does those most excellently - with heat and humour and showing the right amount of bits of both men and women.

That's intersting. Those scenes usually catch me pleasantly off guard, but it's actually really nice to watch a show that doesn't rely on flashes of flesh to keep people tuned in. I could do with another Kima and GF joint and I'll take another Rhonda Pearlman while they're at it!

I'm a big fan of the show. Just one question: Why is it not as at least as popular as the Sopranos??

Probably for similar reasons that the mafia is held in such juxtaposed notorious high regard and life on the streets, not so much.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    SPOILERS

My only very small complaint about Season Four is the lack of sexy scenes, cause The Wire even does those most excellently - with heat and humour and showing the right amount of bits of both men and women.

That's intersting. Those scenes usually catch me pleasantly off guard, but it's actually really nice to watch a show that doesn't rely on flashes of flesh to keep people tuned in. I could do with another Kima and GF joint and I'll take another Rhonda Pearlman while they're at it!

since this thread is now veering dangerously close to a sexiest-people-on-the-Wire thread, fuckit I'ma take it there!

Give me the City Council president (the one trying to thwart Carcetti 'casue she felt she was next in line for mayor) and the school board inspector (the one who comes in and hates on Colvin's alternative class) in an....encounter?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    okay, before yall get on your "who i want to see boning" tangent,

would be cool to get more background on Butchie, omar's adviser.
    cool character

what up drew!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'm a big fan of the show. Just one question: Why is it not as at least as popular as the Sopranos??

There's a bunch of reasons, I think.

Most obvious one first; there appears to be a perception, at least in the US, that, because of the predominantly black cast, it's a "black" show and therefore it's presumed to have a limited appeal to a white audience. Oz suffered from this to an extent as well.

Some of the dialogue requires a bit more attention than viewers (particularly white viewers) may be used to, and that's generally true of the show as a whole. The pacing and the story arc aren't really like those of popular shows like The Sopranos, Lost, CSI or 24. There isn't a nice, pat conclusion at the end of each episode, and plenty of loose ends are left hanging from season to season.

Also, as far as the Sopranos is concerned, a lot of people are gonna be up on the conceits, signifiers and iconography of the gangster/mob genre, and the Sopranos openly acknowledges this throughout. Far easier for something with that kind of familiarity to find an audience. But there really is nothing like The Wire on TV anywhere, and all credit to HBO for sticking with it, letting Simon do it the way he wanted to do it, and letting it find an audience naturally. No question it would have been cancelled before the end of Season 1 if it were on a network.

• The Wire is fucking dense. It demands your participation. Sopranos...not so much.

LOL - I am telling you - the scenes with McNulty and the prostitutes and the waitress and the very adult house party where Cutty gets whisked away were just so good! I agree, the success of the sex is why everything else in the Wire works so well - nothing too heavy-handed and no overkill.

would be cool to get more background on Butchie, omar's adviser.
    cool character

Snoop, too.

LOL - I am telling you - the scenes with McNulty and the prostitutes and the waitress and the very adult house party where Cutty gets whisked away were just so good! I agree, the success of the sex is why everything else in the Wire works so well - nothing too heavy-handed and no overkill.

Druck McNulty and the waitress' 30-second pick-up scene was the best!

Most obvious one first; there appears to be a perception, at least in the US, that, because of the predominantly black cast, it's a "black" show and therefore it's presumed to have a limited appeal to a white audience. Oz suffered from this to an extent as well.

hence, the Wire's appearing in syndication on BET.

never mind that it's unlike anything I've ever seen on BET and I don't know anyone that watches it on BET.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

hence, the Wire's appearing in syndication on BET.

never mind that it's unlike anything I've ever seen on BET and I don't know anyone that watches it on BET.

Don't they cut out all the effing-and-jeffing on BET as well? So they miss the exchange in the car between Kima and McNulty in Season 1 where she says, "I can't believe you were just gonna call the mother of your children a cunt..."?

Yeah, I don't want to be misunderstood here, haha. Those scenes are some of the main reasons the text on my remote's Instant Replay button is worn thin.

That whole Cutty party/bathroom scene is

Man, I hope Slim Charles has cameos in Season 5.

Sup Tone!

Man, I hope Slim Charles has cameos in Season 5.

dude should do audio books or radio. his voice is dope.

• Why wouldn't Slim Charles be in season 5? He's still kickin around. He's still part of the Co-Op, right?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Wire > Sopranos BUT its appeal is very different. The Wire is more cerebral, the pacing can be glacial and it is far more of an ensemble cast than even the Sopranos. None of this endears itself to a more populist audience whereas the Sopranos, despite being ace as well, had more pulp qualities to it.

And in any case, the mafia is an enduring and endearing theme in American popular culture in a way that drug gangs and the cops that love 'em...are not.

• And in any case, the mafia is an enduring and endearing theme in American popular culture in a way that drug gangs and the cops that love 'em...are not.

How much influence has the mafia had on how street gangs conduct their business? How much influence has the mafia or at the very least portrayals of the mafia in commercial art had on hip-hop?

And in any case, the mafia is an enduring and endearing theme in American popular culture in a way that drug gangs and the cops that love 'em...are not.

How much influence has the mafia had on how street gangs conduct their business? How much influence has the mafia or at the very least portrayals of the mafia in commercial art had on hip-hop?

• indyindy 58 Posts

There's a bunch of reasons, I think.

Some of the dialogue requires a bit more attention than viewers (particularly white viewers) may be used to, and that's generally true of the show as a whole. The pacing and the story arc aren't really like those of popular shows like The Sopranos, Lost, CSI or 24. There isn't a nice, pat conclusion at the end of each episode, and plenty of loose ends are left hanging from season to season.

Also, as far as the Sopranos is concerned, a lot of people are gonna be up on the conceits, signifiers and iconography of the gangster/mob genre, and the Sopranos openly acknowledges this throughout. Far easier for something with that kind of familiarity to find an audience. But there really is nothing like The Wire on TV anywhere, and all credit to HBO for sticking with it, letting Simon do it the way he wanted to do it, and letting it find an audience naturally. No question it would have been cancelled before the end of Season 1 if it were on a network.

Answer: Every fucking khakiwearing middleaged white male(remember there are about 3,5 billion of those guys in the us alone) can identify with tony to a certain extent .

the wire ??? nah, this thing doesnt work this way

those worlds seem to be

BUT as this intelligent peace of tv shows these worlds seem to be disconnected but they arent.

btw. how stupid are all these people out there ??

more than 3 black people on a tv show = black tv show ???

racism is still in peoples heads

anyway, The Wire is still the best TV show after the sopranos

my 2 (euro-) cents

anyway, The Wire is still the best TV show after the sopranos

anyway, The Wire is still the best TV show after the sopranos ever

• anyway, The Wire is still the best TV show after the sopranos ever

Dudes....these shows are like Seals & Croft's "Summer Breeze" and Isley's "Summer Breeze": you need them both in your life. No need to place a crown.

anyway, The Wire is still the best TV show after the sopranos ever

Dudes....these shows are like Seals & Croft's "Summer Breeze" and Isley's "Summer Breeze": you need them both in your life. No need to place a crown.

there may not be a need for a crown, but they are not at all different versions of the same thing imo.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    I've never seen the show, but a good friend is working on it and they're shooting til mid-August.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn, sit your self down with season one, beardy.

i am NOT a tv watcher. i dont own one. me and my boy went up to pick up a friend to go out drinking. he was like "you mind if i watch the last 15 minutes of this show?" we sat and watched a part of season 2 as he introduced characters to us. we were asking him all kinds of questions. we saaw an ill Omar scene. "we can watch the next episode" he said, since he had the whole season burned on dvd from somewhere. we ended up never going out and staying up till 6am watching the drama at the docks unfold.

hooked ever since.

best show.

keep watching

three more episodes to go. I'm geeking.

Randy is gonna get got somehow (owing to the snitch rumors).

Herc is going to get shit-canned or else severely demoted (props to Bubs!)

The inevitable Omar-Marlo showdown will occur (albeit without a body per Omar's promise to Bunk? Perhaps a Bodie-Omar collabo where Bodie does the dirt in revenge for Kevin?)

Duqwan seems like too nice of a kid not to get screwed somehow.

The bodies will start turning up in the vacants I imagine....

well I finished up Season 4 this weekend.

All I can say is DAMNNNNNN shit was BLEAK at the end.

(Unfortunately) ALL of my above predictions were on point.

The only positives I see going into Season 5 are:

- Cutty's gym still up and running (and he got with the fine nurse).

- The police department does indeed seem to be moving in the right direction.

- Namond escapes the street life and appears to have a decent future.

The negatives, of course, are too many to name: Duqwan on the corner, Mikey a cold-blooded killer, the schools still fucked (Carcetti turned out to be the opportunistic politician that we all suspected he might be), etc. And, the most tragic of all: Randy. Now that shit was sad.

Still, the last three episodes had some great lines/scenes: Good to see Method Man back on screen; the Bunk's J-Lo Mark Antony comments were hilarious; the whole Bmore mayor vs. MD governor subplot; etc...

Looking back I can't help but observe that trifling male-female jealous bullshit was at the heart of nearly the entire tragic arc of this season: Lex smoking his baby mama's new man and the girl claiming she was raped at school were ultimately what set off Randy's entire downfall, which was unquestionably the greatest tragedy of the season (not to mention that these events also brought about the impending downfall of the Stanfield cartel, which is not necesarily a bad thing).

And while I am not sure why exactly, I was sad to see Bodie go.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

And while I am not sure why exactly, I was sad to see Bodie go.

Because he was a good character and one of the only dudes left from the zenith of the Barksdale days. Everyone else - with the exception of Poot (Poot!) - is dead or jailed.

Bodie going down was probably the hardest death to take the whole season. But like he said, "you're not going to put me in one of those abandoned houses!" BLOWE BLOWE!

I think the actor who plays him is in that new bank robbery series, no?