NBA OFF SEASON

Comments

• "What are your job responsibilities, you ... ho?" Thomas, with an obscenity added for emphasis, told former vice president Anucha Browne Sanders in 2004, according to the secondhand account of her friend, Jeffrey Nix.

double hearsay?

i guess the statement to Sanders was an admission, but as retold to her friend? Not sure how that one got in.

I don't think it's double hearsay; Thomas's statement is being offered not for its substance (i.e., plaintiff was a "ho" with dubious job responsibilities), but for the fact of him making it. You still have the hearsay problem of the fact that Nix's account is secondhand, though, and Browne-Sander's statement to Nix is not an admission.

touche. i was sloppy. its also not a statement of fact. questions are exceptions to the hearsay rule unless they state facts....i guess you could argue calling her a ho is a fact. the state of mind exception would come into play too.

still not sure about sanders' statement to nix though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

"What are your job responsibilities, you ... ho?" Thomas, with an obscenity added for emphasis, told former vice president Anucha Browne Sanders in 2004, according to the secondhand account of her friend, Jeffrey Nix.

double hearsay?

i guess the statement to Sanders was an admission, but as retold to her friend? Not sure how that one got in.

I don't think it's double hearsay; Thomas's statement is being offered not for its substance (i.e., plaintiff was a "ho" with dubious job responsibilities), but for the fact of him making it. You still have the hearsay problem of the fact that Nix's account is secondhand, though, and Browne-Sander's statement to Nix is not an admission.

touche. i was sloppy. its also not a statement of fact. questions are exceptions to the hearsay rule unless they state facts....i guess you could argue calling her a ho is a fact. the state of mind exception would come into play too.

still not sure about sanders' statement to nix though.

Yeah, there's no problem getting Zeke's alleged question in if Sanders wants to testify to it, but I don't know how Nix's account of Sanders' remarks to him get in.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Feast your eyes on this, lil dudes.

Lebron's dimes are ridiculous as well.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Too scurred to go to a Rucker game

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

That looks dope.

• i guess you could argue calling her a ho is a fact.

"Ho is short for Honey"

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    how is it that nobody is talking about Marion right now?
    I don't think the Suns will lose him... at least I hope they don't trade him.
    As a fan, I think his contributions on offense away from the ball outweigh Amare's with the ball. (Does that make any sense?) On defense, nobody in the PHX lineup is fuckin' with him.

the trade scenarios outlined so far:

AK-47 would be garbage on the Suns. Guy has no offense, and no movement. On defense, he can't keep up with other teams' fast breaks, but would be lights out in the half court set, albeit that Duncan would fuck him up consistently, which is the Suns biggest weakness in the playoffs (can't stop duncan). I say NO.

Odom- a more even trade, although inconsistent/streaky offense (may be a byproduct of the triangle, he wasn't on my radar in Miami because, well, fuck the east), not as good of a defender. Odom's biggest fault is that he is a season-ending injury waiting to happen, whereas Marion plays more games and minutes than anyone on his team. I say NO.

The only player that can offer relatively the same contributions in my mind is Gerald Wallace, and dude ain't movin' for shit.

fuckityfuckfuck. I understand Marion thinks he's "underrated" (he's not-- underutilized, yes.) The Suns will take a HUGE hit if they trade him for either of those two players, not to mention that their salary situation would be worse off next season if AK is in a Suns uni. The moment the discontent was officially expressed to the front office, they should have reworked his contract for more performance incentives or some shit, I think they'll drop to the lower ranks of playoff contention and probably a first round exit if he goes. FUCK.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    FUCK.

Truly. In the articles I've been reading Marion's skills are highly underrated in the Suns's system of play. Granted he doesn't get crazy points, but he does make up for it with the little things. I think the Lakers would love to see him work with Kobe, and they're known friends.

Odom in Phoenix would be nonexistent for a good part of this year due to this injury, but maybe Steve Kerr and crew are thinking they can rehab him and turn him into a threat with Amare and Nash.

I haven't watched Kirilenko play that much but given his instability, why would they trade Marion (who is not meshing with the Suns) for a dude who is an ever bigger crybaby?

Marion also dropped a dime when he said he was already thinking of the Timberwolves when those rumors were flying around, so I guess he confirmed the rumors that KG was close to being traded to PHX! sigh... would have loved to see a Amare+Nash+KG !!!! (bonkers)

To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing Kobe+Marion just to see some incredible plays if Kobe is willing to give up the ball.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Would y'all take Josh Howard for Marion??

^^^PROBABLY

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

^^^PROBABLY

That would be interesting.

no. I like Howard's game, but he doesn't have the same versatility.

Although, in terms of chemistry-- all interviews I've read and the couple I've listened to w/ Howard would indicate that he could probably adapt well to any team environment.

although Howard ain't pushin' 30 quite like Marion is. Players that slash tend to break down a bit quicker. It will be interesting to see how much longer Marion is as effective doing what he does in the L, whether it be with the Suns or not.

On Wednesday, [defendants' counsel] asked, "Did you say to Ms. Browne Sanders, 'I don't give a f--- about these white people'?"

Thomas said, "No."

Thomas went on to explain that he had nieces and nephews who are "mixed."

"So I don't feel that way," Thomas said.

Conspicuously silent on his feelings towards his (presumably) white in-laws...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3036829

Marion: It's time for me to move on

Updated: September 27, 2007, 9:40 AM ET

"I'm tired of hearing my name in trades," Marion told the Arizona Republic by telephone Tuesday night. "I love my fans in Phoenix but I think it's time for me to move on."

On Wednesday, teammate Steve Nash weighed in on the discussion.

"It's sad to hear he wants to go," Nash told reporters.

"We're very close to winning a championship. We want everyone on board. All his teammates love him. We want him to be a part of this for sure, and we feel like he's a big part of it. It's frustrating to hear he's unhappy, because we want him to be happy."

Marion has been mentioned in trade scenarios involving the Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Lakers.

Marion told Sportingnews.com by telephone that he would welcome a trade to the Lakers to play with his good friend Kobe Bryant.

"You have a great organization, great ownership there with the Lakers. I don't see no problems with playing there," he told the Web site.

Marion, who is the highest-paid player on the Suns with two years remaining on his contract, wouldn't confirm to the newspaper that he has requested a three-year, $60 million extension.

"Regardless of everything that went on with the extension, I'm tired of hearing my name in trade rumors," Marion told the newspaper. "It's time for me to move on. I felt like they tried to force my hand to Boston with the [Kevin] Garnett stuff."

Marion reportedly killed a three-team deal that would have sent him to Boston with an extension, Garnett to Phoenix and picks going to Minnesota.

"I haven't done anything wrong," Marion told the newspaper. "I leave it on the floor night in and night out. Sometimes, it's just time, and it's time to go. It's been like a nightmare. It hurts me making this phone call. It's hurting me in my stomach."

Marion told the newspaper that if he isn't traded he'll report to the Suns' training camp, but only when he's required to. Monday is the mandatory reporting date for Suns players. Phoenix has voluntary workouts scheduled this week.

"I'll do what I've got to do," Marion told the newspaper. "I'm a professional. I'm not bitter. I love the fans but I've got to take care of me."

---

bye Shawn!

There's nobody that the Suns could get for him that makes financial sense. He's always had the chip on the shoulder about being "underrated", which he's not. (Underutilized, maybe...)
    I don't think he'll move anywhere. I think he'll be in training camp on Monday, and everyone will pretend like it never happened. If anything, expect some monster games from him this season-- he's got a player option in his contract at the end of 07/08.

• "I love the fans but I've got to take care of me."

i feel the same way.

• The Suns are probably in the top 3 favored teams to win a championship in the next year or two and this guy wants to leave?

The Suns are probably in the top 3 favored teams to win a championship in the next year or two and this guy wants to leave?

It's tough to sympathize. Not only does be play for a top team--he's their highest paid dude. Which means he makes more than two other guys on the roster who are probably consensus top ten players.

He needs to sit down with AI or KG and talk about what it feels like to be the man in a perenially losing situation. Or Joe Johnson.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

The Suns are probably in the top 3 favored teams to win a championship in the next year or two and this guy wants to leave?

Yeah, but they've been riding that wave for a while now...

Yeah, but they've been riding that wave for a while now...

Yes, but let's be clear: he's not saying "Trade me to a contender"--he's saying that he'd be thrilled to play alongside Kobe, in which case he'd be contending to get out of the first round.

You don't think a Kobe/Marion/Odom teamup has a chance?

To get out of the first round...

• You don't think a Kobe/Marion/Odom teamup has a chance?

Marion's not the answer to all their problems but he could help. I still don't know that they'd get out of the first round. It's possible. They are still not one of the top 5 teams in the west with Marion. Probably a bubble team like the Lakers were last year. 2nd round is pushing it, especially if they are seeded low and have to go against SAS or DAL. I think another Suns/Lakers matchup in the first round would be great though, especially with Marion in the purple and gold. That would make for some good basketball right there. And that would be their chance to advance to the second round. I don't see Kobe/Marion lakers beating Spurs or Mavs this year. Who knows though, we'll see what DAL looks like, they need to show back up again this year and get their swagger back after that embarrassing playoff performance last year. I'd like to see LA do something to get Kobe some help out there. He's kind of a wasted talent as they are right now. I still think they're dumb for not pulling the trigger on the Odom/Bynum for JO deal, really. That would be a better look than Marion, don't you think??

I missed the Odom part of your post--the trade under discussion is Marion/Odom, leaving the Lakers as a two-man team. Who else could the Lakers possibly offer for Marion, aside from Kobe? Chris Mihm? D-Fish? Kerr will hardly be able to restrain himself!

I missed the Odom part of your post--the trade under discussion is Marion/Odom, leaving the Lakers as a two-man team. Who else could the Lakers possibly offer for Marion, aside from Kobe? Chris Mihm? D-Fish? Kerr will hardly be able to restrain himself!

Yeah, but part of the reason the Sun want to get rid of Marion is to stay under the salary cap, meaning they wouldn't want Odom.

Yeah, but part of the reason the Sun want to get rid of Marion is to stay under the salary cap, meaning they wouldn't want Odom.

They're cap-shy but they don't want to get rid of him at all. They jettisoned Kurt Thomas so they'd have more cap space in order to keep him. The one and only reason they would get rid of him is if his level of ass-hurt cripples the team.

They're cap-shy but they don't want to get rid of him at all. They jettisoned Kurt Thomas so they'd have more cap space in order to keep him. The one and only reason they would get rid of him is if his level of ass-hurt cripples the team[/b].

Good point.
    I also support your usage of "ass-hurt".

the real question is should I pull the trigger on these $45 suns at clippers tix