NBA OFF SEASON

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    In the history of the NBA only 4 players have led the league in scoring and won a championship in the same year.

I'll send a prize to the first correct answer.

Lew Alcindor

Err: You probably want all 4

Michael Jordan
    George Mikan
    Jerry West

Close...but no cigar...you DID get the trick part right though

Oh well, just wanted to see what I could do without looking anything up i.e. cheating.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    In the history of the NBA only 4 players have led the league in scoring and won a championship in the same year.

I'll send a prize to the first correct answer.

Lew Alcindor

Err: You probably want all 4

Michael Jordan
    George Mikan
    Jerry West

Close...but no cigar...you DID get the trick part right though

Oh well, just wanted to see what I could do without looking anything up i.e. cheating.

Pretty damn good guess

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    shaq, jordan, kareem, mikan

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Why is Lamond Murray playing for the Nugs Summer League team? That saddens me. Murray was one of my favorite college ballers ever. Grindin it out in the Summer League...

Are y'all catching any of these games? Rick Kamla gettin some mic work.

BRANDON BASS

JOSE JUAN BAREA

Rep yr teams' summer league team ballers.

I dunno, he wants a job???

I fucks wit Von Wafer though, dude could be our bench PG and perimeter shooter, I believe he was mashin' it out in the D-league last season. This summer league ought to do him good. I been watching the games. How bout Kobe Karl killing it on the Lakers yesterday? The kid's been through a lot and has a lot to live up to, I hope he gets on a team.

Just as long as y'all mark my words now, sons.

If he was from Oregon you'd never have even stepped foot in this thread. What's next, Acie Law will lead the league in assists?

Acie Law is nice though I think he'll do well in the league pretty much right off the bat (once he develops some chemistry with his team of youngins, of course).

Have I mentioned that Kevin Durant will become the first rookie since Elvin Hayes to lead the league in scoring?

Mark my words now, son.

AS IF.

Um. None of those dudes *lead* the league in scoring during their rookie seasons.

Yes, but if Durant wants to lead the league in scoring, he has to outscore all of those guys. Doubtful. (My money's on Kobe again this year.)

Melo had it going until the brawl (and even a while after), then he has AI as a teammate and doesn't knock down 30 a night (although he was still dropping 30 a game here and there), but damn if Kobe didn't just light it the fuck up in the last month of the season! I think it will be a close call next season and it depends what happens with the Kobe situation. If he gets a KG or JO to play with, he might not be dropping 50 a game... We'll see!

Yeah, but honestly Kobe started the season slowly, having come back from some surgery or something (people were even whispering about "is it over for Kobe?" at hat point); if it weren't for that slow start, his average for the season probably would have been quite a bit higher.

Just saying: when Kobe is playing the game that he's forced to play with these teammates, nobody else is even touching him as far as scoring.

Yes, but, his team mates were playing well and scoring early in the season so he wasn't forced to score 50 ppg. It's a little of both things that kept his early average down. I'm not arguing though, Kobe is the baller of ballers these days.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

If he was from Oregon you'd never have even stepped foot in this thread. What's next, Acie Law will lead the league in assists?

If Shied is going to be posting in basketball threads, will I have to relinquish the title "Harvey Hoops"?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

If Shied is going to be posting in basketball threads, will I have to relinquish the title "Harvey Hoops"?

Damn.....you wore it so proudly!!

BTW...Mark my words..

Royal Ivey will be comeback player of the year
    Chris Mihm will be an All-Star
    and TJ Ford will be MVP

Little do you know that I lived in Eugene, Oregon for a year...had season tickets to Duck games to boot...but I will admit that on a team full of Luke's, my favorite player by far was Andre Joseph...from Houston.

But still, rookie Durant is going to apparently shock the hell out of y'all with his 34 point per game average.

Little do you know that I lived in Eugene, Oregon for a year...

Ha, unlucky choice of a team I guess.

Damn.....you wore it so proudly!!

BTW...Mark my words..

Royal Ivey will be comeback player of the year
    Chris Mihm will be an All-Star
    and TJ Ford will be MVP

Actually, I grew up an LSU fan and still managed to botch the San Antonio Cole Shaq section of your little scoring title quiz.

Point being, it ain't about favorite teams...it's about Durant being THAT DUDE.

• durant is going to be just fine but it's obvious that he's not ready. he's just too weak right now. balkman absolutely handled him the other night (he's a nice defender, but still .. durant wasn't even getting himself decent looks). i think he'll be able to score at will eventually but he's far from that right now.

by the way the knicks summer league squad is killing shit right now. our two rooks are looking great, especially demetris nichols. dude is going to be one of the steals of this draft - belinelli is the best shooter in the draft, but nichols isn't far behind and has good size and intelligence. i love the pick. and balkman has been absolutely ridiculous as usual ...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Have I mentioned that Kevin Durant will become the first rookie since Elvin Hayes to lead the league in scoring?

Mark my words now, son.

AS IF.

Um. None of those dudes *lead* the league in scoring during their rookie seasons.

Yes, but if Durant wants to lead the league in scoring, he has to outscore all of those guys. Doubtful. (My money's on Kobe again this year.)

Melo had it going until the brawl (and even a while after), then he has AI as a teammate and doesn't knock down 30 a night (although he was still dropping 30 a game here and there), but damn if Kobe didn't just light it the fuck up in the last month of the season! I think it will be a close call next season and it depends what happens with the Kobe situation. If he gets a KG or JO to play with, he might not be dropping 50 a game... We'll see!

Yea, he certainly did. He was like #2 or 3 in scoring until the last 30 games. I was quietly rooting for him to get his 2nd title[/b] after he passed Carmelo.

LOL, dude--you never did anything involving Kobe "quietly" in your life.

For the most part I do. The only times I open my mouth about KB in public is when some dude is being offensive.

I didn't think he was gonna get the scoring title, cuz Melo was on a rage. So when he did get surpass Melo late in the season, I was checking the LA Times now and then, and was being pleasantly surprised. Quietly rooting my friend.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Harvey,

I sorta have this place on lock. So if you're gonna come in here with this sorta bullshit,

But still, rookie Durant is going to apparently shock the hell out of y'all with his 34 point per game average.

yea...you gone get it son!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I didn't think he was gonna get the scoring title, cuz Melo was on a rage. So when he did get surpass Melo late in the season, I was checking the LA Times now and then, and was being pleasantly surprised. Quietly rooting my friend.

waitwaitwait... I thought last season was when you made the big jump to cable and actually started watchin' the games? what you readin the times for??? sheeeeit- wait, you did say you watched and read, i forgot to read between the lines.

b/w

yeah, uh-- keep it on lock, dunny.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    by the way the knicks summer league squad is killing shit right now. our two rooks are looking great, especially demetris nichols. dude is going to be one of the steals of this draft - belinelli is the best shooter in the draft, but nichols isn't far behind and has good size and intelligence. i love the pick. and balkman has been absolutely ridiculous as usual ...

All truth! Nate showed up to play, too. The kid is looking hungry for a chance to prove himself worth of a spot on the roster this season. Randolph Morris is looking like a steal as well. I've been watching the full archived summer league games on http://www.nba.com/video/ in a separate window at work this week and shit is sweet.

Is it October yet?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    've been watching the full archived summer league games on http://www.nba.com/video/ in a separate window at work this week and shit is sweet.

DUDE, YOU ARE SO LUCKY. So jelly right now, they bannn all downloads/streams at my 9-5. I cry.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Trade Marbury

Harvey,

I sorta have this place on lock. So if you're gonna come in here with this sorta bullshit,

yea...you gone get it son!

Don't worry too much...I've always been a fan of the one Kobe Bryant.

And my favorite team is the New Orelans Jazz (never Utah, young man).

So NBA-related conflict between us should be at a minimum.

Trade Marbury

Trade Marbury

I watched that summer league Game where Balkman handed Durant his heart.

Should Balkman start over Quentin Richardson? Even though Q is a reliable shooter and above average one on one defender.

Trade Marbury

Should Balkman start over Quentin Richardson? Even though Q is a reliable shooter and above average one on one defender.

I think it depends on what they'll need on any given night. If anything, Lee should get more starts and Balkman can be that energy off the bench in place of Lee or Randolph.

A line up of:

Marbury
    Crawford
    Curry
    Lee
    Randolph

seems pretty damn solid, to me.

It looks like they may send Demetris Nichols to Europe for a year if they're not willing to cut two of the extra heads currently on the roster, but from what I read this morning, Zeke is looking for a way to get him some shine @ MSG this season.

As an Indy fan, how effective do you think Freddy Jones can be for the Knicks?

Worth keeping around in place of young talent?

Trade Marbury

I think it depends on what they'll need on any given night. If anything, Lee should get more starts and Balkman can be that energy off the bench in place of Lee or Randolph.

A line up of:
    Marbury
    Crawford
    Curry
    Lee
    Randolph
    It looks like they may send Demetris Nichols to Europe for a year if they're not willing to cut two of the extra heads currently on the roster, but from what I read this morning, Zeke is looking for a way to get him some shine @ MSG this season.

I have a problem w/ David Lee @ the 3 spot. He's most effective at the 4 where he can rebound.
    And asking him to defend LeBoring and them isnt what i feel isnt his forte. Yes, he did sub at the 3 a little last year but he was at his best next to Curry.

If he starts then give me Your Second Unit.

Trade Marbury

A line up of:
    Marbury
    Crawford
    Curry
    Lee
    Randolph

I have a problem w/ David Lee @ the 3 spot. He's most effective at the 4 where he can rebound.
    And asking him to defend LeBoring and them isnt what i feel isnt his forte. Yes, he did sub at the 3 a little last year but he was at his best next to Curry.

Robinson (asking too much?) - PG
    Richardson - SG
    Morris - C
    Balkman - PF
    Jeffries (or Rose) - F

Pretty similar to what we've seen this summer. I think they'd run some other second units out of the gym. I'd also want to find a way to work in Collins for some quality minutes in place of Nate or Q. I know he just had knee surgery, but provided that he's ready to roll. Dude was ballin' when he had to step up the final 10 games of last season!

Trade Marbury

A line up of:
    Marbury
    Crawford
    Curry
    Lee
    Randolph

Richardson - SG
    Morris - C
    Balkman - PF
    Jeffries (or Rose) - F

Pretty similar to what we've seen this summer. I think they'd run some other second units out of the gym. I'd also want to find a way to work in Collins for some quality minutes in place of Nate or Q. I know he just had knee surgery, but provided that he's ready to roll. Dude was ballin' when he had to step up the final 10 games of last season!

Starbury ---------------- Collins/Robinson
    Crawford ---------------Q - slide to tha 2
    Q ---------------------Balkman/Jefferies
    Zack -------------------Rose
    Curry ------------------Jerome James...maybe.

Trade Marbury

A line up of:
    Marbury
    Crawford
    Curry
    Lee
    Randolph

Richardson - SG
    Morris - C
    Balkman - PF
    Jeffries (or Rose) - F

Starbury ---------------- Collins/Robinson
    Crawford ---------------Q - slide to tha 2
    Q ---------------------Balkman/Jefferies
    Zack -------------------Rose
    Curry ------------------Jerome James...maybe.

You got Rose > Lee?

As an Indy fan, how effective do you think Freddy Jones can be for the Knicks?

Worth keeping around in place of young talent?

My Bad...

Lee > Rose

Freddie Jones would be a good look at the backup 2 Guard if Crawford goes into his NUT mode.

I was sorry he had to go from Indy. Good bench dude...sometime spark plug.

• Mr_DelmontMr_Delmont 279 Posts
    Late pass...

I wouldnt worry about Oden yet.

Keep in mind (in their first summer league).....Sam Bowie had 54 points and 10 blocked shots in his first summer league game, Shaq went 32 for 33 at the foul line during his first 7 summer league games, Duncan was owned by Ostertag in his first and Wilt Chamberlain was scoreless in his first two summer league games.

Summer league games can be very misleading.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Duncan was owned by Ostertag
    I understand it's a story used to say, "summer league don't mean much," but it's not quite what happened:

It has been the best line of summer league. Maurice Cheeks has used it. P.J. Carlesimo has used it. Every journalist here, practically, has quoted it.

It's a story about how great players can have terrible games in their first summer league. And the story is that Greg Ostertag killed Tim Duncan in his first summer league appearance.

I linked to such a quote, from Cheeks, the other day, and enterprising TrueHoop reader Cyn spent a day at the library going through old newspaper stories proving Cheeks wrong.

Cyn writes:

As for Ostertag 'killing' TD ... that's a matter of opinion.

Certainly the Utah team killed the combined summer league team of the Spurs and 76ers, as the final score was Jazz 85 and Spurs/76ers 59. Ouch.

Ostertag was a second year player. The article describes Ostertag as going up to slam a dunk on Duncan, but he hit the back rim instead.

Ostertag did block some of Tim's shots. The article doesn't specify how many but Ostertag had six blocks in the game.

Anyway, here are the boxscore lines from both players:

Tim Duncan 14 points/6 of 10 FG/8 rebs/3 assists/2 blocks
    Greg Ostertag 21 points/7 of 12 FG/10 rebs/0 assists/5 blocks
    Tim fouled out of the game getting his sixth foul at 2:52 of the fourth quarter. Maurice Cheeks got the game wrong (fifth not first) and while 'killed' might be harsh; Ostertag did get the better of Tim.

I appreciate the legwork, Cyn.

This story has been used to laugh off performances like Kevin Durant's 4 for 19 in his second game. I'm not worried about Kevin Durant's future. But I am worried about using a tale of a player who shot 60% from the floor to explain a player who shot 21%.

UPDATE: Tim Duncan spoke about that experience with Slam's Lang Whitaker: "Jermaine (O'Neal) destroyed me. He was with Portland, was real young ... and Tag threw my stuff into the first couple of rows a few times."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-26-28/Greg-Ostertag-s-Legendary-Domination-of-Tim-Duncan.html