Options

iPhone

edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone here planning on taking one for the team and plunking down for an iPhone when they drop this week? I just read an article that they've shipped to some spots already, under armed guard protection[/b] all along the way. Apple also isn't allowing any camera devices (phones, laptps with iSight cameras built in) in the back of their retal outlets.AT&T hired 2000 temporary security personnel for their stores to deal with the people who will be camping out for it. Reminds me of the mini-riot in NYC for the Pigeon dunks.I'll be getting one next year, I just re-upped with Verizon two months ago on a Treo 750wx which I'm not happy with at all. Phone is full of bugs on the features I need the most (web browsing, sending data). I'm curious to see how many tech issues they'll have with the iPhone. Anyone recall the first iPods, how bad were the bugs with them?Steve Jobs is the hypemaster.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I just got a Blackberry 8700 and signed on to T-Mobile. Their service kinda sucks, and when I say "kinda" I mean "totally dude." But anyway, I'm on contract for 2 years but fuck it. Anyway, I'm always wary of first generation products. It will take at least a year for them to work the bugs out, whatever they are.

But they look fresh, and I hope to grip one within the next few years.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i'm definitely gonna get one. i have this retarded blackjack, and it's not compatible with mac. is there some kind of crack for this?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anyway, I'm always wary of first generation products. It will take at least a year for them to work the bugs out, whatever they are.But they look fresh, and I hope to grip one within the next few years.

And AT&T is crazy as well.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'm curious how the iPhone will stand up to general wear. I don't like cases on cellys, but I would never toss my iPod around without a hat on it. Without one, I can imagine the iPhone looking beat to shit with the quickness.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I'm curious how the iPhone will stand up to general wear. I don't like cases on cellys, but I would never toss my iPod around without a hat on it. Without one, I can imagine the iPhone looking beat to shit with the quickness.

http://www.shieldzone.com/

just watch their demos.

i have one for my ipod and it's been as far as protection. i'm sure they'll make one for the iphone with the quickness if they haven't already.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I agree. It seems too pristine for daily wear and tear.

• Is Verizon getting the ipone? I know Verizon is slow to get new products, but are they eventually going to get it or will it be ATT exclusive? I heard ATT has a slower network than other carriers and will result in slower internet access.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    yeah, it seems like it will get scratched up pretty easily. it also seems really big (bigger than a sidekick) and heavy. it also seems like anybody with big hands/fingers wouold have a hard time using the touch screen keypad or keyboard for inputting numbers and typing on the web or in text messages. but hey, if none of that stuff bothers you i say go for it. shit looks pretty cool.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Is Verizon getting the ipone? I know Verizon is slow to get new products, but are they eventually going to get it or will it be ATT exclusive? I heard ATT has a slower network than other carriers and will result in slower internet access.

i was talking to some dude at the at&t store, apparently at&t are the exclusive carrier for the next several years (i think they have 5 year contract with apple).

i believe that it was to ensure that at&t wouldn't get stuck just with the first (shitty) generation iphone, only to have other carriers jump on board a few years from now with better models.

i wouldn't be surprised if apple trys to buy their way out of that contract though if iphone really takes off.

• Options
    Is Verizon getting the ipone? I know Verizon is slow to get new products, but are they eventually going to get it or will it be ATT exclusive? I heard ATT has a slower network than other carriers and will result in slower internet access.

No, Verizon isn't getting it. No one knows how long the exclusive agreement with AT&T is, but it's for at least two years. I also know it's running on AT&T's slower EDGE network, but I don't know if that's much of a problem. AT&T is projected to gain 900,000 customers this year based on this phone alone.

My phone runs on Verizon's EV-DO network, which is supposed to be the fastest wireless data network right now (I think). It is very fast, but the problem is getting the phone to hook up with it. It's akin to trying to merge onto an expressway with a bicycle. It takes about a minute or two and sometimes 5 attempts to finally hook up to the network and then there are no problems. No more Treo's for me after this, it's either Blackberry or iPhone next year.

• unfotunately for US strutters, its only available (for now) in france, germany, spain? italy. euro strut, opinions? this has been out for a minute compared with the iphone and its pc compatible.

• ChiltonChilton 9 Posts
    I've heard the data plan ain't going to be cheap.

• xyzlenexyzlene 37 Posts
    Apple Inc. first approached Verizon to sell the iphone. Verizon wanted to change the user interface on the iphone. Obviously Apple wasn't having that. In addition, Verizon has V-cast. This is where cellular companies make their $$$$$$$. At the negotiating table Apple refused to split the profits with Verizon regarding ring tones, and itunes. Downloads are the moneymaker.

so they settled for at&t.

iphone seems like a decent product with tremendous potential, though it is first generation. There will be a lot of bugs in the system. Aol IM, initially was planned for the iphone, though Apple has not been able to successfully run the application. Imagine all the Paris Hiltoner's who plunked 500.00 plus, and they are unable to IM.. Ironic.

If the iphone fails in the market at&t will be the culprit. Verizon runs new york concerning reception. Eventually Verizon, and Apple Inc. will most likely come to a compromise.

I'll wait for the third generation iphone. 80 gig flash card, with a new carrier.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I got the Blackberry 8800 and it sucks. I hate it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I would have been far more likely to consider biting on a first gen if the storage wasn't so small. And sure, I expect bugs but personally, I think that will be more on the software level than hardware (even though there are some hardware limitations which are kind of wack - lack of URGE support for example - and the aforementioned memory issue.

Size-wise, I actually think it's SMALLER and lighter than most competing devices. I know it's thinner than everything else in the same category, though it may be a bit longer. But for those lugging around Blackberrys, Treos and Sidekicks, it's not like the iPhone is going to seem clunkier than what you're already rocking, I presume.

To me, I just want to wait a few weeks, let the hype die down, then go and just check one out and see what's up. I'd definitely wait half a year, see if prices drop and plans get more affordable (I'm scared to know what the data plan is going to run).

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Aol IM, initially was planned for the iphone, though Apple has not been able to successfully run the application. Imagine all the Paris Hiltoner's who plunked 500.00 plus, and they are unable to IM.. Ironic.

I think they fixed this with SMS. See the demo.

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    The future is in the touch screen. Someday a lot of devices we use will have a more user-friendly interface very similar to what the iphone has. It really seems much easier to use that most phones. So they're on the right track, but it's not for me.For now I'll stick with the landline and cassettes.Why, I'm even typing this on a typewriter right now!

Not bad at all.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    If you plan on using the iPhone with your corporate email you are out of luck. It isn't going to sync with Exchange or Blackberry services.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118221943189139997.html?mod=gadgets_lead_story_col

If you plan on using the iPhone with your corporate email you are out of luck. It isn't going to sync with Exchange or Blackberry services.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118221943189139997.html?mod=gadgets_lead_story_col

"All this may change later this month when Apple plans to unveil the iPhone. According to a person close to Apple, the company is expected to fight for this market, currently dominated by players like BlackBerry's RIM, Palm Inc. and, increasingly, Nokia Corp. and Motorola. If Apple comes up with an acceptable strategy for integrating with business software systems, many companies might change their tunes."

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

"All this may change later this month when Apple plans to unveil the iPhone. According to a person close to Apple, the company is expected to fight for this market, currently dominated by players like BlackBerry's RIM, Palm Inc. and, increasingly, Nokia Corp. and Motorola. If Apple comes up with an acceptable strategy for integrating with business software systems, many companies might change their tunes."

Right, it just isn't in place yet.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I don't see companies jumping to give all their employees ipods with youtube built in, at least not in the short term.

I've already read some bad reviews of the keyboard, esp typing with both thumbs, but in general, I would NEVER buy any first generation products, especially one as ambitious with new features.

On a related note, I work 200 yards from the apple store in Soho, and my coworker told people are ALREADY lining up, couple dudes with beach chairs and whatnot.

I don't see companies jumping to give all their employees ipods with youtube built in, at least not in the short term.

I've already read some bad reviews of the keyboard, esp typing with both thumbs, but in general, I would NEVER buy any first generation products, especially one as ambitious with new features.

On a related note, I work 200 yards from the apple store in Soho, and my coworker told people are ALREADY lining up, couple dudes with beach chairs and whatnot.

Yeah - my good friend trains Geniuses in Cupe but used to work retail in Emeryville and she says it's going to be fucking insane this weekend.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

what is amazing about people waiting in line for an iphone is that NONE of them are doing so because they just cant wait to use the features of an iphone. people want to have it because its cool to have. fair enough. but if you are waiting in line for an xbox, at least you can go home and play it.

whats your prize for waiting overnite for a cool phone? you get to go home and check your email/ make a phone call?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

"Pleaze to line up in und orderly fashion for zee iPhonez."

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts

from the start, i was a little about typing text messages with two thumbs on a 2.35" wide touchscreen

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    How usable the iPhone will be is anybody's guess. I'm a huge mac fan, but have heard that it's tough to type (no thumbs - point and tap) and the Internet access is slow through EDGE.

The ad campaign Apple ran has been insane though. Seriously. Reading the press you'd think the iPhone is the second coming of jesus.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Not bad at all.

Come on O, ur a big dawg. Get urs with an Ultimate plan.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

whats your prize for waiting overnite for a cool phone? you get to go home and check your email/ make a phone call?

same reason why record nerds wake up at 6am to hit a record show.

it's irrational, one man's gold........

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

same reason why record nerds wake up at 6am to hit a record show.

it's irrational, one man's gold........

Devil's advocate but,

At least then you can go home and listen some new heat.

And btw we're talking about 3 overnights, on the street in soho, and its supposed to be thunderstorms for next 2 days. I hear you on the record fanatic comparison, but this is really pretty

imho....