Options

iPhone

Comments

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    i'm definitely gonna get one. i have this retarded blackjack, and it's not compatible with mac. is there some kind of crack for this?
    Missing Sync has done the trick for me in the past. I'm not sure if your specific phone is supported. Also, here is an article on tethering Blackjacks to Mac's so you can utilize their internet connections on your computer. That function has saved me hundreds of dollars at places with pay only Wi-Fi connections.

EDIT: As someone stated earlier, I'd wait a few generations before making the decision to buy one. I'm an avid Apple fan, but they will[/b] release a few updated versions in the next few years, especially if their initial sales are as high as they are projecting. I'm still kicking myself for not waiting another month to buy my 17" Macbook Pro. The newer version was much faster and had a better screen for the same price.

I've owned and used a lot of Windows Mobile phones in the past year and they simply do not work well. I'm talking about the phone freezing when it receives an incoming call. If Apple puts out a phone that is even slightly better than the current options, it will become the standard (not unlike the iPod.) Blackberry's are popular for this reason. As cumbersome as I think the interface is, in my experience they work when they need to. Apple's focus in the past has been on reliability and usability. I don't see why the iPhone wouldn't follow this trend.

• snosno 332 Posts

unfotunately for US strutters, its only available (for now) in france, germany, spain? italy. euro strut, opinions? this has been out for a minute compared with the iphone and its pc compatible.

Utterly overrated for a phone priced at HKD$6000 (about US$770). It's a 2G phone. A stylus is not applicable on this touch screen phone because the screen is sensed by heat at the tip of user's finger.

For that price, I'd go for Nokia N95.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    NYT review:

Sounds like dude was feeling it, hrmmmm..

I still say fuck 1'st generation, but it does sound kinda spicy...

Text entry is not the iPhone???s strong suit. The BlackBerry won???t be going away anytime soon.

The bigger problem is the AT&T network. In a Consumer Reports study, AT&T???s signal ranked either last or second to last in 19 out of 20 major cities. My tests in five states bear this out.

AT&T???s ancient EDGE cellular network... is excruciatingly slow. The New York Times???s home page takes 55 seconds to appear; Amazon.com, 100 seconds; Yahoo. two minutes. You almost ache for a dial-up modem.

But even in version 1.0, the iPhone is still the most sophisticated, outlook-changing piece of electronics to come along in years. It does so many things so well, and so pleasurably, that you tend to forgive its foibles.

In other words, maybe all the iPhone hype isn???t hype at all. As the ball player Dizzy Dean once said, ???It ain???t bragging if you done it.???

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, the initial round of reviews are pretty consistent in saying: "ok, this thing is dope...BUT, it's not perfect."

NYT, USA Today, WSJ, MSNBC all mirror similar critiques and praises.

Looks like the main "deal breaker" is what everyone knew it would be: slow cell network. This is a hardware issue which means that 1st gen adopters will get stuck with URGE or WiFi but won't ever have the option to jump onto a faster cell network. Personally, this isn't a deal breaker for me but it comes close.

Otherwise, most of the other limitations all sound like software issues that can be corrected/upgraded down the line. I don't really see Apple ever supporting external memory cards but they will definitely want to upgrade the memory capacity at some point. I would guess that Gen 2 iPhones will have at least 30GB options.

Lack of iChat is bizarre to me: how hard could that possibly be to program?

Lack of converting MP3s into ringtones seems like a dumb oversight but I'm assuming, can be fixed via software later.

Lack of video recording on the phone isn't an issue to me at all but I can see how others will balk at that. This seems more like a hardware issue so it might require a radical 2nd gen redesign to include.

I'm just glad my friend at Apple is going to get one so I can at least play with this. I doubt I'll buy a 1st gen but goddamn, this thing sounds pretty insane.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Lack of converting MP3s into ringtones seems like a dumb oversight but I'm assuming, can be fixed via software later.
    i nearly guarantee it won't be an official apple fix. this is great for apple because they will more than likely get in the ringtone market and i'm sure the cell phone companies would love for other cell phone makers to do the same thing

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    As everyone else is saying, I too believe the phone's main pitfall is going to be the EDGE network. That's not to say Apple hasn't come up with one hell of a marketing scheme though...the second coming of Jesus, indeed. All the hype and commercials make my Treo650 look like an ancient piece of scrap metal.

On the flipside of things, Verizon's data plans aren't much cheaper than AT&T's imo. $45 Verizon unlimited? Crazy expensive.

• My main concern is AT&T. Can it really be as bad as everyone suggests? I did have it years ago and switched to Verizon, which I really like. I'm really torn. I was really worried about the service price, but it's actually really good. Damn, I may just buy it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I have Cingular, which is owned by AT&T, and have great service everywhere i go. the internet browsing/data speed is godawful though.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    my Blackberry says "EDGE" in the top right of the screen....which I assume means it runs on the EDGE network (despite that I have T-Mobile)....anyway yeah it's slow. as. fuck.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I have Cingular, which is owned by AT&T, and have great service everywhere i go. the internet browsing/data speed is godawful though.

I too have Cingular (on my BlackBerry Pearl, which is actually kinda nifty), and the service has been A-OK, though I don't go on the Intertubez with it or anything like that.

• I'd imagine AT&T will pour some money into their service once the iPhone starts selling.

I'd imagine AT&T will pour some money into their service once the iPhone starts selling.

Yeah but speed is as much an issue as coverage and there's nothing they can do (I don't think) to make EDGE faster than it already is.

• Yikes!

Is Apple using AT&T to get in the game then?

Yikes!

Is Apple using AT&T to get in the game then?

Yeah. Originally, it was supposed to be Verizon but the two companies couldn't compromise on a few key areas so Apple stepped to AT&T/Cingular instead. No one is really liking this part of the deal (or so it seems) but in a few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple partner up with multiple carriers.

• Not bad at all.

Come on O, ur a big dawg. Get urs with an Ultimate plan.

Those plans are kinda wack actually. Not alot of minutes for the money at all. I mean it's great that the iphone is a revolutionary device and whatnot, but it is still a PHONE and if it costs an arm and a leg to talk on that piece, I think I am going to have to pass.

Oh and whoever said that Tmobile service is wack is not kidding. I cannot even get a phone call in the office. That doesn't make sense to me.

I dunno man - I have T-Mobile w/ data and those rates are pretty comparable. Who does phone + data for significantly (20-30%) less?

I could be wrong, but going on lunch today walking past the apple store, I swear half the people in line are homeless dudes. I assume this is cause they've been paid by someone to wait on line, and not simply because they have been sleeping on the street in soho for a week.

I love consumption, but this is as clear a sign as any that our status driven consumer culture is .

Or maybe its not. Still weird to think about these dudes being the "first" to get an iphone....

I could be wrong, but going on lunch today walking past the apple store, I swear half the people in line are homeless dudes. I assume this is cause they've been paid by someone to wait on line, and not simply because they have been sleeping on the street in soho for a week.

I love consumption, but this is as clear a sign as any that our status driven consumer culture is .

Or maybe its not. Still weird to think about these dudes being the "first" to get an iphone....

In all fairness - you're talking about Apple. Yes, part of this is a status issue but The Cult of Apple??? is also on some other level of subcultural nuttiness beyond mere consumerism. The beauty of the iPhone is that it manages to nicely merge BOTH into a single package, hence the craziness you see.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Well, the dude who is first in line at the SoHo store is actually doing something much more positive than getting his geek-wank on. Coincidentally, I published that story about dude right before clicking over here.

Yeah, I noticed they all had identical t-shirts on, I assumed it was something like that, very good idea and very clever marketing, putting some of that hysteria and media attention to good use.

I wonder what kind of conversations they've had with whoever's #2.

"Im auctioning off my phone to feed hungry children."

"Oh, um, yeah, I want youtube on the go...."

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    let me be the first to say. believe teh motherf*kin hype

aka dnice i need to deposit that mpc $$$ monday.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Do eit, homay!

• I'd imagine AT&T will pour some money into their service once the iPhone starts selling.

Yeah but speed is as much an issue as coverage and there's nothing they can do (I don't think) to make EDGE faster than it already is.

totally. the EVDO network, I think it's Sprint in the US that has that, is what the iPhone should be running on

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

Do eit, homay!

dood. you have no idea.

Do eit, homay!

dood. you have no idea.

Damn A***n, you so crazy!

, indeed...

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    f*ss,

i am offically droping out of skool because of this.

dubway interns watch out!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I too have Cingular (on my BlackBerry Pearl, which is actually kinda nifty), and the service has been A-OK, though I don't go on the Intertubez with it or anything like that.

CINGULAR IS ATT NOW
    GOT BOUGHT
    DEAL
    IT WAS A BABY BELL BUT NOW IT'S BACK TO MAMA

STOCK SYMBOL T
    DEAL

AAPL AT 150
    DEAL

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    f*ss,

YOU CRAZY

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    f*ss,

YOU CRAZY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i've been calling everyone on my phone list (with my regular phone) saying "hey, guess the fuck what? i'm calling you from my iphone". its a great ice breaker for those u haven't talked in a while.