Krautrock Faves Beyond the Usual Suspects?

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited October 2018 in Music Talk
As far as pure listening pleasure goes (i.e. not only from a digging perspective), what are some Krautrock favorites of yours beyond the heavy-hitters (Can, Faust, Kraftwerk, Neu!, Tangerine Dream, Popol Vuh, Cluster, both Amon Duuls, etc.)? One record I get a lot from is Gila's "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" -- a concept album about the plight of Native Americans that sounds more like psych-folk than most of the above groups. Seems like most critics rate Gila's earlier, proggy s/t LP higher, but I love the more organic vibe on "Bury My Heart."Any others you'd rate as highly as the top albums by these better-known groups?

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    this is the thousandeth time I have posted this LP, but it is so damn good...so good

Achim Reichel and Machines "Echo"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Early ASH RA TEMPEL

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I've been feeling Dzyan, Xhol Caravan, and AR & Machines...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I LOVE this record:

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    Annexus Quam

Kollectiv

Haboob

Ash ra Temple

Guru Guru

Mythos

Yatha Sidra

Eroc

Brainticket (they were swiss but still get lumped into the krautrock genre)

Agitation Free

Siddhartha

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Agitation Free

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Annexus Quam

Kollectiv

Haboob

Ash ra Temple

Guru Guru

Mythos

Yatha Sidra

Eroc

Agitation Free

Siddhartha

I know Ash Ra, Guru Guru, Brainticket, and Agitation Free... as well as Harmonia. The rest are new leads for me. Thanks! Particular records to check for...?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Xhol Caravan

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    HUGE recommendation on GAA. My boy 8-bits put me onto this. Realy just a good beginning to end album. That sounds much different then the Kraut most people think of.

- spidey

• chasechase 767 Posts

just heard my first few tracks from them last night... killer stuff

• Lately I have really been grooving on some Schnitzelpop.

Mind totally blown by the likes of T??el and Phartz.

• I LOVE this record:

yes yes yes yes yes and yes

'Watussi' is ridiculously good

also these guys

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Tomorrows Gift.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Kraftwerk & NEU! live in 1971. YUP. Check it out.

http://www.bigozine2.com/archive/ARrarities06/ARkwbremen.html

Agitation Free

I listened to them last night for the first time in a while (do they only have the one record?) and they sounded even better than I remembered.

Thanks for the recommendations... keep them coming.

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

Agitation Free

I listened to them last night for the first time in a while (do they only have the one record?) and they sounded even better than I remembered.

Thanks for the recommendations... keep them coming.

They've got at least 2 LP's... "Malesch" is tops for me...

Popul Vuh "Affendestunde" is

They've got at least 2 LP's... "Malesch" is tops for me...

Popul Vuh "Affendestunde" is

Malesch is what I have, didn't realize they have others. I've been hunting for that Popol Vuh for a while, but so far no luck.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    please check out rufus zuphall, they are from my town and they still rock.

a few weeks ago, I went to see embryo live in berlin. It was a sad experience, they were perfroming half playback, totally wrecked and there was one guy sitting on the front of the stage making uncontrolled noises and screams and stuff, looking mad. I don't know if concerts 30 years ago were like this, but this left me a bit disillusioned. I love their records though...especially this one

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    Yatha Sidra - meditation mass.
    One of my all time favourite records

• Here is a link to the online version of "Crack in the Cosmic Egg", which reviews thousands of more obscure Kraut items. They come from a more prog related perspective, so I don't personally agree with everything they say regarding the aesthetic value of particular records, but there is a ton of good info on there.
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ultimathule/krautrockers.html

Here is a link to the online version of "Crack in the Cosmic Egg", which reviews thousands of more obscure Kraut items. They come from a more prog related perspective, so I don't personally agree with everything they say regarding the aesthetic value of particular records, but there is a ton of good info on there.

Thanks. I've been trying to track down a copy of Julian Cope's book on Krautrock, but I'm getting the sense that it's very n/a these days...

• Yeah I've never seen that Julian Cope book either. His website has some good articles.

• I have pdf scans of Julian's Krautrocksampler book. If I remember correctly, these scans were originally posted here by another strutter when we last had a thread on krautrock.

I re-upped them on yousendit.

Krautrocksampler part 1
    Krautrocksampler part 2

I have pdf scans of Julian's Krautrocksampler book. If I remember correctly, these scans were originally posted here by another strutter when we last had a thread on krautrock.

I re-upped them on yousendit.

Krautrocksampler part 1
    Krautrocksampler part 2

Many thanks.

Oh, and the Crack in the Cosmic Egg info also looks very helpful.

• exmagma exmagma exmagma

• Not German, more like Belgian, but "cottonwood hill" by Brain Ticket is the one to look for.

• Dies Irae is kinda nice. Also the early Motherhood. I love me some Dzyan. I really enjoy most early Krautjazz bands. Okko. I guess the first Motherhood is more likely Jazz. And stuff like Et Cetera (the first one).

Forget about Xhol Crarvan though. Soul Crarvan is the one to look for. Krautsoul.

I listened to many Kraut records, but I'm not a big fan of them. So I'm not an expert.

I have pdf scans of Julian's Krautrocksampler book. If I remember correctly, these scans were originally posted here by another strutter when we last had a thread on krautrock.

Great read so far. Thanks.

Getting a lot of enjoyment out of these 2 albums and that site, so many thanks to HookUp, Spidey, and Rod.