Krautrock Faves Beyond the Usual Suspects?

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Been feeling these ones lately...

and these days have reversed my earlier opinion and prefer this one to Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee...

anyone come across anything nice lately in the Kraut dpmnt?

how do people feel about Eloy? I haven't heard anything by them, saw a copy of "Floating" recently that I almost picked up but it was a little overprices to take a chance on.

the language describing these albums tends to be so similar that it's hard to get a sense of what to expect relative to one another. they're all so "cosmic" and "free" and "exploratory" and perhaps "symphonic."

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I have pdf scans of Julian's Krautrocksampler book. If I remember correctly, these scans were originally posted here by another strutter when we last had a thread on krautrock.

I re-upped them on yousendit.

Krautrocksampler part 1
    Krautrocksampler part 2

RE-UP!

ya'll need to check missus beastly... more jazz than rock tho... kinda similar to embryo... PLACEBO STABS and alla dat.

I ride for the BRAIN label.... one of my favorite joints on there is Release Music Orchestra... nuts!

also keep an eye out for MESSAGE.... SHHHHHH...

peace.

• a few weeks ago, I went to see embryo live in berlin. It was a sad experience, they were perfroming half playback, totally wrecked and there was one guy sitting on the front of the stage making uncontrolled noises and screams and stuff, looking mad. I don't know if concerts 30 years ago were like this, but this left me a bit disillusioned. I love their records though...especially this one

really? thats sounds super disappointing. they used to be known for their live shows. if you like reise there is a documentary movie that chronicles the making of tha album. I ride for all their stuff esp the "rock sessions" lp.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

RE-UP!

thanks!

Anyway Malesch is pretty much the pinnacle of this shit as far as I'm concerned, but I will also ride hard for this (in addition to a lot of stuff already mentioned):

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I got this one awhile back but never listened to it,I guess I'll make some time later...
    The real reason I bought it at first was the cover but apparently it's rare...price check??

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    U.S. '72

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I am telling my german girlfriend the names of some of these bands & she is cracking up because she hasn't heard anyone speak of them since she moved here 10 years ago. She says she thinks she threw out almost all her krautrock LPs a while back though, she says she maybe has some Tangerine Dream & Amon Duul stuff left somewhere though, maybe a couple others. I know Can & Neu, but nothing else, I def don't own any of the records.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

not to but this early kraan lp (72/73) has a track that bears uncanny resemblance to one of those big 90's seattle grunge/rock hits... can anyone confirm or should i post a mp3....cant remember the group and im not a seattle expert in any way, but im pretty sure that its real close to one of those stone temple pilots/ pearl jam-ish hits

• Looks like some really good stuff, here will have to get my soulseek and crate diggin' on it seems..

But now to my question, i heard a mix on Cybernetic broadcasting that was supposed to be Cosmic space 043 but was interrupted by another one that had no name and featured a krautsounding track by by my guess a british group with a female lead vocalist, it was kinda slow and the chorus went "you're running out of time".
    Really been searching for this one without luck and some other details that could be of help is lyrics "if you hear cutting on the line, the interference will be mine, every single word you say, down on tape and filed away"... anyone? Please?

Other than that EMAK "tanz in den himmel" is a huge favourite but it's not all that unknown maybe.

/L

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

HUGE reccomendation on GAA. My boy 8-bits put me onto this. Realy just a good beginning to end album. That sounds much different then the Kraut most people think of.

- spidey

My friend had 20 sealed copies of GAA. Got them right from the band in Germany many years ago. Warning to anyone about to ball on GAA, a German dood bootlegged them. They used the same stock, so unless you have them side by side you won't know the deal. I'm not sure many people are aware of the boot either. The only reason I know of it is the same guy who had 20 copies (as far as I know he was one of the first to unearth this record many years ago as he was the first to sell it at Utretch) was offered 20 sealed copies of the boot as OG's. He cracked one open to check for warp, and noticed the sound was ever so slightly different. I assume these boots are being passed off as OG's now. As far as I recall the OG was limited to 200 copies, the boot is around 50 to 100 max...so the boot is more rare then the OG. Anyhow, whatever. It's dumb expensive anyhow

Cope rides waaaay too hard for Amon Duul II in my opinion...hell he even mentioned them like 700 times in the Japrock book...they've always been some of the least interesting Krautrock to me.

Cope rides waaaay too hard for Amon Duul II in my opinion...hell he even mentioned them like 700 times in the Japrock book...they've always been some of the least interesting Krautrock to me.

I agree he overrates them, but they vary so much from album to album that it's hard to discount them, too. There's some great stuff scattered throughout their catalog.

I'd really like to see Krautrock get a thorough narrative history book that could essentially replace Krautrocksampler -- I read Cope's book to glean what I could about the personalities of the musicians, producers, label heads; what some of the interconnections between these bands and scenes were; who did what first, and when; etc etc. But ultimately it's just a book about his taste, and while his taste probably turned thousands of people on to this music, it's also rather limited in scope given all the great shit in this thread he mentions very little or not at all... and while it doesn't pretend to be a history of the music, it's the closest thing I know of for the time being.

Until we get that book, maybe Wax Poetics: the Krautrock Issue...?

not only is Agitation Free left out of the top 50, but so is FUTURE DAYS???! Unforgivable.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    My friend had 20 sealed copies of GAA. Got them right from the band in Germany many years ago. Warning to anyone about to ball on GAA, a German dood bootlegged them. They used the same stock, so unless you have them side by side you won't know the deal. I'm not sure many people are aware of the boot either. The only reason I know of it is the same guy who had 20 copies (as far as I know he was one of the first to unearth this record many years ago as he was the first to sell it at Utretch) was offered 20 sealed copies of the boot as OG's. He cracked one open to check for warp, and noticed the sound was ever so slightly different. I assume these boots are being passed off as OG's now. As far as I recall the OG was limited to 200 copies, the boot is around 50 to 100 max...so the boot is more rare then the OG. Anyhow, whatever. It's dumb expensive anyhow

Yah, I notice that alot of the stuff I want that Julian Cope reccomends starts getting dumb high price wise. Like the Flower Traveling Band album I was bidding on. I'd really like a copy of the Gaa album. Wonder if theres any chance of re-issue.

Unrelated but, I think I still have those Krautrock night DVDs with all the Kraut videos somewhere on my hard drive.

- spidey

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

Yah, I notice that alot of the stuff I want that Julian Cope reccomends starts getting dumb high price wise. Like the Flower Traveling Band album I was bidding on. I'd really like a copy of the Gaa album. Wonder if theres any chance of re-issue.

Unrelated but, I think I still have those Krautrock night DVDs with all the Kraut videos somewhere on my hard drive.

- spidey

I'll ask my friend about a possible RAA RI. He's done RI's before, and knows the band, so it wouldn't be hard for him.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    the first 3 eloy records=

the first 3 eloy records=

yeah? from the little eloy I've heard, I was worried their catalog might get a bit... cheesy. no?

• very nice, too, sounds a bit post-rock:

Anyway Malesch is pretty much the pinnacle of this shit as far as I'm concerned, but I will also ride hard for this (in addition to a lot of stuff already mentioned):

Is that German Oak?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    This is great, just got it.

what's it sound like?

Looks like a bad Euro-Metal record.

This had an Australian pressing too... it's iight, pretty forgetful drum break, uninspiring stuff from memory...

• Anyway Malesch is pretty much the pinnacle of this shit as far as I'm concerned, but I will also ride hard for this (in addition to a lot of stuff already mentioned):

Is that German Oak?

I couldnt get into this record, kinda like this big reverbed-out to hell blur of doom fog, not my thing... I was excited to get it, but was disappointed (I got it at the ARC about 10 years ago...who was the middle eastern dude who only ever had 2 flight cases of records, but all of them in demand kraut/euro psych records?)...but luckily a friend of mine was obsessive about that record and he bought it from me...

• Broselmaschine is a desert isle disc for me. The best acid folk record I have yet to hear.

This is great, just got it.

what's it sound like?

Looks like a bad Euro-Metal record.

This had an Australian pressing too... it's iight, pretty forgetful drum break, uninspiring stuff from memory...

I don't mind some 70s German hard rock, as long as I know that's what I'm getting myself into.

Anyone got a link to a Brain discography?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

They've got at least 2 LP's... "Malesch" is tops for me...

Popul Vuh "Affendestunde" is

Malesch is what I have, didn't realize they have others. I've been hunting for that Popol Vuh for a while, but so far no luck.

Affenstunde is pretty good, but I feel like Fricke's later work was more engaging musically. Affenstunde is nice because it takes a unique approach, and the sound of the album as a whole (musicianship, instrumentation, and mixing/engineering) is a solid document of this. The soundtrack work that they did for Herzog was, in most cases stellar. My favorite is probably the Cobra Verde OST. Definitely look into their later catalog though.

Michael Rother's solo record with Jaki playing drums on it is nice. Very similar to NEU, but a bit more digested, and peaceful.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6578957d006049/

^ the banger

I was recently turned on to this by Aquarius Records..

1975 early electronics..

- spidey

• What do you guys think of Krokodil?

All I have is a 7" from this album, You're Still A Part of Me b/w All Alone, and I really like it, but didn't pick up the album (I felt it was overpriced). Are the LPs any good? Apparently they have a few...

- J

They've got at least 2 LP's... "Malesch" is tops for me...

Popul Vuh "Affendestunde" is

Malesch is what I have, didn't realize they have others. I've been hunting for that Popol Vuh for a while, but so far no luck.

Affenstunde is pretty good, but I feel like Fricke's later work was more engaging musically. Affenstunde is nice because it takes a unique approach, and the sound of the album as a whole (musicianship, instrumentation, and mixing/engineering) is a solid document of this. The soundtrack work that they did for Herzog was, in most cases stellar. My favorite is probably the Cobra Verde OST. Definitely look into their later catalog though.

Huh, I feel the opposite. I love those herzog soundtracks in the context of the films but far prefer the earlier stuff as records. I grew up associating Popol Vuh with new age and may have some lingering hang-ups w / their later work.

Michael Rother's solo record with Jaki playing drums on it is nice. Very similar to NEU, but a bit more digested, and peaceful.

Interesting, I'd love to hear that.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    My bad, when I went and cehcked the dates of the albums in my mind, the ones that I was thin king were later were really just later 70's. They came out right after Affenstunde. Das Hohelied Salomos, In Der Garten, et cetera.

Sterntaler is the Rother album that I was thinking of.

Any of you guys familiar with La Dusseldorf? A guy at a record store recommended it when I asked for stuff with solid drumming, but some of his other recommends have not been good.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Any of you guys familiar with La Dusseldorf? A guy at a record store recommended it when I asked for stuff with solid drumming, but some of his other recommends have not been good.

"Viva" is good.