New Genre alert: HIPSTER-HOP

Comments

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

That said I am curious about the Baltimore shit. As a pretty segregated city, is the club scene segregated? I talk to a lot of white folks that are real into Baltimore club music. And having never been out clubbing in Baltimore, I wonder what the scene is like.

While I'm certainly no authority on the racial breakdown of club nights in Baltimore, I can tell you that, for what it's worth, age is a much of a factor as race in defining a particular party or venue. Certain club nights here in Baltimore used to specifically cater to the 17+ crowd, which naturally brings out a predominantly black teenaged audience. My one and only time going to Hammerjacks, the former club venue staple in Baltimore, was a 17+ show that only served water. The off-duty cop/bouncer tried to talk us out of going ("Hey man, shouldn't you be going to Sonar across the street? Don't you want to DRINK toinght? This ain't FREE") .

On the other hand, most of the established radio DJs in Baltimore that spin club are doing weeklies that cater to the 25+ "fully grown" set and usually mix in 90s r&b, house, rap, etc. This crowd is a bit more mixed, but some of this has to do with the fact that the venues are more upscale/suburban (Annapolis! Glen Burnie!) and therefore draw a different local audience.

Just some observations, take them with a grain.

And for the record, I am suspicious of anyone (the maker, the listener, the critic) promoting a musical subgenre that's defined by its audience demographic.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    It's just like Eric Clapton or SRV and blues. Not because they're white, because they don't do it right. They gut the music for the elements that they want and toss the rest.

Bit like sampling loops from jazz masterpieces?

Just sayin'. I got no beef with sampling if the end result sounds good.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm not sure I'm following here. What defines HIPSTER-HOP? The sound? Clothes? Attitude?

As someone who started going to shows, clubs, parties in the early-mid 80's I'm a little confused to say the least.

This judging, defining & classifying of hip hop is seriously bumming me out. Maybe thats why I can't be down with 90% of the new shit that I hear. If this was going on when hip hop started out, I'm not sure we would have gotten this far.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    i dont know how it sounds, but hip-hop is LOOKING great for once!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    This shit is lame. If you're hung up on stuff like this, then you're not listening hard enough & need some seasoning before you start coming round here to talk music.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Baltimore[][][]As a pretty segregated city

plaese to tell me of a mid-to-large USA city that is NOT segregated so's i can plan my next move.

Seriously, segregation didn't end when they took the signs down from the lunch counters. The racial divide in the US is pretty fucking clear cut.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The most disappointing revelation of this whole thread is that there is an audience for white people that started rapping a year ago--if I would've had any idea, I would've started rapping last year. Now I will forever be a year behind these people that started rapping then. A year from now when I'm like "Hey, I've been rapping for a year!" my audience will be like "But these other white people have been rapping for two years." Can anybody suggest a blog that will help stay up on pop cultural developments so nothing like this happens to me again?

• The most disappointing revelation of this whole thread is that there is an audience for white people that started rapping a year ago--if I would've had any idea, I would've started rapping last year. Now I will forever be a year behind these people that started rapping then. A year from now when I'm like "Hey, I've been rapping for a year!" my audience will be like "But these other white people have been rapping for two years." Can anybody suggest a blog that will help stay up on pop cultural developments so nothing like this happens to me again?

http://www.lastnightsparty.com/

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Can anybody suggest a blog that will help stay up on pop cultural developments so nothing like this happens to me again?

Here you go.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    The most disappointing revelation of this whole thread is that there is an audience for white people that started rapping a year ago--if I would've had any idea, I would've started rapping last year. Now I will forever be a year behind these people that started rapping then. A year from now when I'm like "Hey, I've been rapping for a year!" my audience will be like "But these other white people have been rapping for two years." Can anybody suggest a blog that will help stay up on pop cultural developments so nothing like this happens to me again?

You're thinking about this the wrong way. In half a year the hipsters who are really trying to stay ahead of the curve are gonna be all about people who have been rapping for 6 months. Get started now and you got it made.

edit: for the record tho- I like Spank Rock and Amanda Blank. I haven't heard the other people mentioned so far.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yo whatever. first of all, branding them all as white when theyre obviously not is ignorant, but i see what youre saying...these black kids involved with this might as well be white cause THEY ARE NOT KEEPINGITREAL! THEY arent even from the projects!!! or down south!!!! how could they be black????
    next,since when is rapping a fucking exclusive club of lifetime poets??? there have been people jumping on microphones with not much lyrical skill or background forever. some pulled it off with a dope flow or voice or clever shit. there is no qualifications to this shit. this is music (whether its your thing or not) and every human being should be expressing themselves whenever the hell they want, at the drop of a dime.
    also, they might not have been rhyming long enough to get in your exclusive rhyme master clubhouse, but theyve been partying long enough to know what people like to do with their spare time. if their crowds dont meet your qualifications of realness/blackness/whatever then you look elsewhere.

the next great musician/performer might not have "paid dues" for years and years, but who cares? people only care cause there is so much money wrapped up in music and the people who have been trying to get that dough for many years (aka paying dues) start crying when someone busts the line theyve been waiting in.

i dont give a fuck who is making the music or scene they represent. if it moves me, then im happy.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    POST HIP HOP................

whats in the teaches of peaches?

super snooze late pass for me, but i love this

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    yo whatever. first of all, branding them all as white when theyre obviously not is ignorant, but i see what youre saying...these black kids involved with this might as well be white cause THEY ARE NOT KEEPINGITREAL! THEY arent even from the projects!!! or down south!!!! how could they be black????
    next,since when is rapping a fucking exclusive club of lifetime poets??? there have been people jumping on microphones with not much lyrical skill or background forever. some pulled it off with a dope flow or voice or clever shit. there is no qualifications to this shit. this is music (whether its your thing or not) and every human being should be expressing themselves whenever the hell they want, at the drop of a dime.
    also, they might not have been rhyming long enough to get in your exclusive rhyme master clubhouse, but theyve been partying long enough to know what people like to do with their spare time. if their crowds dont meet your qualifications of realness/blackness/whatever then you look elsewhere.

the next great musician/performer might not have "paid dues" for years and years, but who cares? people only care cause there is so much money wrapped up in music and the people who have been trying to get that dough for many years (aka paying dues) start crying when someone busts the line theyve been waiting in.

i dont give a fuck who is making the music or scene they represent. if it moves me, then im happy.

Dude, calm down--it's just jokes. I have no idea who any of these people are, what their music sounds like, or how long they've actually been rapping.

• Spankrock is some of the most hardest working dudes out there, the music is enjoyable, and they can perform live.

The first time in a while Ive been to a rap show where the crowd did more than stand there and bob thier heads.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Can anybody suggest a blog that will help stay up on pop cultural developments so nothing like this happens to me again?
    ???? My posts are 99% about rap music and politics, with a sliver on random threads about shit like Taj Mahal and disco.

also, why did fatback mention me when he posted a picture of the beastie boys?

i think you guys just like to mention me whenever you don't have anything actually funny to say
    i appreciate the attention

calmer than you!

i was replying to the collective chorus of boobirds.
    sorry if i hurt your feelings.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    tripledouble speaks the truth.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    get most of the crowd to dance, have fun and not act like hardrocks. works for me.

Exactly. This shit is made for people to dance and have a good time.

you sound like ravers

Where's PLUR and Timmy Digalot, I'm sure they're into this "scene." What about feeling_it?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I'm confused about people who did not have a good time before this stuff existed.

b/w

did they party?

no, they listened to onyx and were afraid to be caught smiling

• personally i have a lot more fun when i'm not listening to bad music

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    no, they listened to onyx pavement and were afraid to be caught smiling

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    no, they listened to onyx pavement dave matthews and were afraid to be caught smiling over the ironically cool threads that Mommy's credit card bought them

"bad" as classified by you
    its all personal taste
    some people pass judgement on things before they do anything else.
    others feed off the people around them before letting their inner critic rear its bitchy little head

whatup raperape!

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    no, they listened to onyx pavement dave matthews and were afraid to be caught smiling over the ironically cool threads that Mommy's credit card bought them

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    "bad" as classified by you
    its all personal taste
    others feed off the people around them before letting their inner critic rear its bitchy little head

whatup raperape!

That can go both ways though. People calling this good fall can do it for the same reasons.

Its all perspective I can't get into any of it though. All the group named above in this thread I have heard and sound like they are trying too hard to be different. And the music just sounded bad to me.

• "bad" as classified by you
    its all personal taste

whatup raperape!

tone loc!

i'm not sure what your post means
    but dude the music sucks
    and the scene is corny

the end

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

anti pop i like

i checked flosstradamus before and thats somethin i dont like.
    im a newjack though
    ive been to one hipster hop show in my life and it was the worst thing i have attended in a loooong time. caught spank rock in philly. dude seems like a nice cat and all and we kicked it for a minute, but the whole night, especially the crowd, was not really my thing. it couldve been the bottle of remy my boy and i drank at a restaurant beforehand, but music tends to sound better when im drunk.

and as if my opinion matters... ive met like 2 real cool hipster folks. the rest ive met try too hard to be cool or somethin... like its the proverbial pinball game routine jumpin from what was cool yesterday to cool today. and thats what i see happenin with the folks this thread is about. i guess bein hood or hard or rappin or dressin like a damn fool in a convenient and safe environment is whats good these days.