greatest comic book-film adaptation of all time??

paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
After giving this just a little thought, I came up with... Seriously though... what's beating this??

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Not for nothing, but I really dug Superman II.
    Now is it just me, or does it seem like everyone likes to shit on it like it's the absolute worst film ever made (even moreso than III).
    WTF???!!!
    I know it aint the greatest ever made, but damn if it wasn't a really fun summer popcorn flick for whatever year it came out.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Hell yeah, I always thought Superman II had the sequel-is-darker
    thing going for it that made Empire Strikes Back, etc, the
    superior films in their series.

The formula is simple: all the baggage of establihing character and
    backstory is gone, and they can just make a film that concentrates
    on story and usually with a strong focus on the conflicting characters
    or "bad guys."

People hate the second Batman because it's too dark (and too campy
    which I would agree with) but I think it was the most entertaining
    film in the series until the restart with Batman Begins.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I wish they'd do this one:

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

(seriously)

hatt me now.

EXACTLY.

EXACTLY.

RE: SIN CITY, I just never got around to watching it proper (sans bootleg).
    Like THAT though, huh?
    Alright... I'll make it a point of peeping it this week and get back to you.

On another note, it's just a shame that the same kind of enthusiasm and talent that went into making SIN CITY and 300 couldn't do the DAREDEVIL/ELEKTRA saga.
    But that's a dead issue now, eh?

I'll be taking the to my grave...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I just thought the visuals were next level. There's been plenty of movies that sought to "adapt" comics for the the big screen. Some were true to the stories, some weren't. Some were true to the characters, some weren't. But only Sin City has succeeded in conveying the feel of actually watching a live-action comic book. I swear on the big screen with a good system you feel like you're IN the comic book.

PLUS Alba as a stripper.

Also, Ghost World - as a longtime Eightball reader
    it was great to see so much of the atmosphere of the
    comic put on the screen, which was also true of American
    Splendor. I don't know what went wrong with Art School
    Confidential, but that movie fell apart fast.

PLUS Alba as a stripper.

Also, Ghost World - as a longtime Eightball reader
    it was great to see so much of the atmosphere of the
    comic put on the screen

Yeah. Forgot about that one.
    Would be interesting to see Terry Zwigoff tackle Mr. Natural or Cherry Poptart.

Just for shits and giggles, who would you cast and get to helm this...

A movie that was just the old Mechanics stories with some
    cute unknown Mexican-American actresses would work for me.

No clue on who could direct it and not make it either all CGI
    or too kitschy. Alex Cox?

I was going to go the PC route and say Robert Rodriguez, but man, I think Alex Cox would be perfect!
    Fuck the CG shit. He could shoot it just like Repo Man.

By the way, gotta LOVE the old Frank Miller covers for the initial US Lone Wolf repros.
    He only did like the first 10 issues right?
    Who took over after him?

By the way, for fans of the Itto Ogami/Lone Wolf saga, there's been some recent, interesting news regarding the story's original author returning for a sequel... "New Lone Wolf and Cub".
    Peep it...

Dark Horse announced at the New York Comic Con that they have licensed Shin Lone Wolf & Cub, Kazuo Koike and Hideki Mori's follow-up to Lone Wolf and Cub, starring the famous child in the baby cart after the original revenge epic.
    The release name for the series, which might be New Lone Wolf and Cub, and format, whether it will be released in the 6.0" x 4.3" dimension of the original Lone Wolf and Cub, are still being considered. Hideki Mori who takes up the job of illustrating the epic from the late Goseki Kojima. Mori employs an art style and vigorous, organic brushwork which is strongly reminiscent of Kojima's, but he brings his own individuality to the task.
    Koike begins the new "Lone Wolf and Cub" manga right where the original ended, with Daigoro amidst the aftermath of his father's revenge. A mysterious samurai appears at the seashore and forms a new bond with the boy.
    Volume 1 will also contain an essay by Koike about his return to the manga epic after almost thirty years, and his thoughts on the international popularity of the story, including its influence on the graphic novel and film Road to Perdition.

• Spawn was ok. They did the Violator up right, and Spawn had some good visuals when he wasn't trying to screw up the dialog. Definitely not the greatest comic -> movie of all time though.

The Heavy Metal flicks are sort of comic-based. Either way, I always thought they kicked ass.

• SoI, good call on Ghost World- wouldn't have considered that, but I loved that flick.

I'm going with the first batman. And, I'll ride for the 2nd- but Jack is so dope in it, and it is just so fucking dark. plus, it stands up so well over time....its still near the top of my list anytime it comes on TV.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Spawn was ok. They did the Violator up right, and Spawn had some good visuals when he wasn't trying to screw up the dialog. Definitely not the greatest comic -> movie of all time though.

oh man spawn was one of the worst, if not THE worst!other than the crappy old captain america movie i can't think of much that fucks with it's status as WOAT.

• OG Punisher.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    OG Punisher.

i would rather watch the og punisher a thousand times.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    After giving this just a little thought, I came up with...

Seriously though... what's beating this??

Are you talking any one particular films of the 6 in the series? Or Shogun Assassin?

While the purist in me would pick Baby Cart at the River Styx, I love the music and the dubbin' for S.A.

"When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest Samurai in the empire, and he was the Shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of 131 lords, for the Shogun. It was a bad time for the empire. The Shogun just stayed inside his castle and he never came out. People said his brain was infected by devils, and that he is rotting with evil. The Shogun said the people were not loyal. He said he had a lot of enemies, but he killed more people than that. It was a bad time. Everybody living in fear, but still we were happy. My father would come home to mother, and when he had see her, he would forget about the killings. He wasn't scared of the Shogun, but the Shogun was scared of him. Maybe that was the problem. That night, mother would sing for us, while father would go into his temple and pray for peace. He had prayed for things to get better. Then, one night the Shogun sent his ninja spies to our house. They were supposed to kill my father, but they didn't. That was the night everything changed, forever. That was when my father left his samurai life and became a demon. He became an assassin, he walks the road of vengeance. And he took me with him. I don't remember most of this myself. I only remember the Shogun's ninja hunted us wherever we go. And the bodies falling. And the blood."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

the characters are so real already...i think i'd find fault with almost anyone who tried to make a movie out of it. the worst would be casting American starlets of the month.
    having said that, ??lex de la Iglesia (Perdita Durango) gets my vote.

co-sign on Lone Wolf and Ghostworld.
    i didn't like the Incredible Hulk as a movie, but thought the framing and floating (animation) cells worked really well as far as a comic strip coming alive on the screen goes.

Are you talking any one particular films of the 6 in the series? Or Shogun Assassin?

While the purist in me would pick Baby Cart at the River Styx, I love the music and the dubbin' for S.A.

Talking about the series as a whole.
    Although, I gotta say, Shogun Assassin has a very, very special place in my heart.
    The way Roger Corman's people edited the first two films together, then proceeded to rewrite the whole entire thing from the narrative/perspective of Daigoro??
    Just brilliant.
    And the kid they got to voice him gave a near perfectly emoted performance.
    It's the one thing now when I watch the other films in the series that seems to be missing.
    Yeah, the US version was an improvement in a number of ways.
    And how rare is that?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

The formula is simple: all the baggage of establihing character and
    backstory is gone, and they can just make a film that concentrates
    on story and usually with a strong focus on the conflicting characters
    or "bad guys."

I agree on both Superman II and second Batman.

I didn't make it through 15 minutes of Superman Returns. Awful.

I think the X-Men films are pretty good comic book films, personally, don't know if I could say they were the BEST, but I think they capture the spirit of the series I remembered from the 80s pretty well. Except for Storm. Could have been any number of better choices than Halle Berry.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I think the X-Men films are pretty good comic book films, personally, don't know if I could say they were the BEST, but I think they capture the spirit of the series I remembered from the 80s pretty well. Except for Storm. Could have been any number of better choices than Halle Berry.

I remember when I was a kid trying to imagine who would fit the roles of the different X-men in a movie adaption, I had David Booeys wifey pegged as Storm:

or even:

Of course both would be too old by now, but they could at least have gotten someone who wasn't American.

Edit: now that I come to think of it, I had Dolph Lundgren down as Colossus (hair dyed black of course), but then he got his bit of Marvel shine as the Punisher.

• souldropsouldrop 40 Posts
    Marvel/DC World:

SUPERMAN I and II
    X-MEN
    SPIDER MAN

I LOVE SIN CITY!!

• They should make a "Preacher" movie. Saint of Killers and alla that.

Wasn't there a rumored "Watchmen" film?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I was going to go the PC route and say Robert Rodriguez, but man, I think Alex Cox would be perfect!
    Fuck the CG shit. He could shoot it just like Repo Man.

While I truly believe that Repo Man is probably the best comic book movie that was never a comic book, I seriously wonder how much of it was a series of happy accidents that it got made at all, let alone came out as awesome as it did. Has Cox even come close to doing anything as remotely interesting since? Straight To Hell is fun for it's bizarre, cultish aspects, and Sid and Nancy has it's moments (mostly thanks to Gary Oldman), and I still need to see 'Walker', but it seems like Cox suffers from a case of diminishing returns.

Repo Man DVD commentary =

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    They should make a "Preacher" movie. Saint of Killers and alla that.

Wasn't there a rumored "Watchmen" film?

i believe there was rumors of HBO developing a preacher SERIES. which could be badass or horrible. no in between.

watchmen film is under development right now. i believe same director as guy who did 300. that is going to be horrible.