Buy the Devin the Dude album or shut up

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Perhaps this is one to grow on.

A lot of my favorite albums end up being ones that I have to get used to for a while. I'll be interested to see what people think about this in a month or so.

I feel the same way, and I really enjoyed Devin's other projects, so I'm going to stick with the album until the wheels fall off. I'll be interested to hear what other people thing about it down the line, as well.

• Premature pronouncements like this always end up being embarassing, but I am going to go ahead and say it: I think this is Devin's best album. It is that good.

What did y'all think of To the Extreme? I thought it was a little uneven but the highs were good enough so that I regard it as a solid release.

I thought Xtreme was solid from front to back. So many different varieties of great on that album: funny, beautiful, poignant, sad, FONKAY, and beyond.

I'm really not understanding the gripes regarding production--

Well, if it's fair to compare it to Tryin' ta Live, I don't hear much on this album (on first listen) that made me sit up and take notice of how nice the production is, it's just there.

Perhaps this is one to grow on.

Really?

I think there's a lot of stuff on here that is production in the classic sense, rather than the hip-hop sense; that is, rather than somebody hooking up a beat, that somebody else than raps over, I think Devin has worked hard to find the perfect sonic environments for his rapping, his crooning, and his rap-crooning.

I think the elements of these tracks all come together really well, from the extended slice of smooth sax[/b] on--I think--"Useta Be," to the "I Need Love" update.

I never thought I'd hear you speak on that[/b] as a good thing!

But seriously, what you're saying makes a lot sense and maybe I've been listening to so much "put your brains on your Big Mac" , that shifting stylistic gears on a dime is proving to be somewhat difficult.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    poignant, sad, FONKAY, and beyond

BAN!

For excessive floridness.

• better than to tha x-treme but not as good as tryin to live.
    tryin to live is seriously one of the best albums ever made IMHO

• Really?

I think there's a lot of stuff on here that is production in the classic sense, rather than the hip-hop sense; that is, rather than somebody hooking up a beat, that somebody else than raps over, I think Devin has worked hard to find the perfect sonic environments for his rapping, his crooning, and his rap-crooning.

I think the elements of these tracks all come together really well, from the extended slice of smooth sax[/b] on--I think--"Useta Be," to the "I Need Love" update.

I never thought I'd hear you speak on that[/b] as a good thing!

New York's all right...if you like saxophones.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    do any of you have the boom?

• do any of you have the boom?

haha. Sayin. And he's usin the "country dood" voice too? That shit is funny.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    i think 2 the extreme is my fave by devin. more tracks on there that i like compared to the other albums he's put out. havent heard the new one yet only a couple tracks, but it sounds real good. i think i will wait for a vinyl release.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

that song about needing a paper is

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    i think i will wait for a vinyl release.

I wouldn't wait too long - there's never been a full Devin LP release

Matter fact, the clean promo Bun album and the Geto Boys (of course) are the only ones RAL's done in years as far as I can remember

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    though rhyme wise it's one of his funniest performences, the production on the "i need love" remake is realy bad. the sax does not work here at all.

"useta be" is realy good, as is the "girl lost" track. i didn't get to hear the remix to it but the og sounds fine to me. halfway through, the cd loses a little bit of steam but it picks up again.

so all in all it was a realy good release and will get major play all year.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I've heard the first 14 tracks so far & I'm loving it. Production is fine, suits Devin's flow & dude is killing it on the mic. Between this & Sean Price, I'm feeling 2007. Only thing that would have made it better is a K-Rino guest spot.

I've heard the first 14 tracks so far & I'm loving it. Production is fine, suits Devin's flow & dude is killing it on the mic.

That is what I am saying. I honestly have to wonder whether dudes griping about the production understand what Devin is doing. One thing I like about Devin is that he draws inspiration from elements of the previous half century of Black popular music that most contemporary rappers don't allow themselves to be influenced by. I like the smoove sax. Whoever said it "doesn't work" is simply mistaken; you can say that you, personally, do not care for smoove sax, but it "works" perfectly in the context of this album.

What do dudes want to hear? Devin skraight spittin' on some real schitt? Please.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I like this pretty well. Not his best album but its about what I expected. 'expectations met'

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    'expectations met'

8.5?

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Feelin' "She Used Ta Be" on the second listen through. What's with the "Broc N' Cheese" track though with the out-of-tune guitar? Eeeeeewwww.

The album is better on the second listen, but the subject matter gets a little tiresome listening from start to finish.

'expectations met'

8.5?

Please be serious--that rating is reserved only for the most outstanding efforts.

b/w

Do you party?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Only 2 pages of comments?

This album deserves more love, people!

"Till Its All Gone" is great way to end an album.

"Cutcha Up" is hella creepy.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    "Cutcha Up" is hella creepy.

You know he's talking about weed right?

There's a video for that too.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts

What do dudes want to hear? Devin skraight spittin' on some real schitt? Please.

as far as this comment

the music matches the lyrics but it still sounds a little too "smoove" for my taste. but i did say it worked perfectly on "she useta be". also "cutcha up" is genius and i cant wait to see the video.

also thank god dudes off rap-a-lot...........who do you think sighns him, dre?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    'expectations met'

8.5?

Surely you should be spending your time explaining in detail to billy sunday why lil wayne is "next level" because he raps slowly in a funny voice now

'expectations met'

8.5?

Surely you should be spending your time explaining in detail to billy sunday why lil wayne is "next level" because he now raps slowly in a funny voice now

Yeah, that just happened.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    people complain about devin's production? shit fits his rapps perfectly, i don't get it. "somebody else's wife" is my shit right now

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Did people here sleep on Coughee Broz? That ish is hot, too.

people complain about devin's production?

Only if three dudes on SoulStrut = "people"

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    so not liking one beat out of 14 = complaining about production?

anyway like i've said this album was dope, production and all.

peace,xavier

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I haven't heard the Devin yet (intend to get it for the beach this wknd however) but Rap-A-Lot consistently has some of the best in-house live band production out there.....

Gave this a better listen tonight and can honestly say that I have no idea what I was talking about earlier. The production sounds more like canvas for Devin than any kind of "beat" that I've been so tuned into for the last several months. This caught me off guard, so to say. But, I do have a much greater appreciation for it, now.

• Nice save, Drew.

And since I never answered my own question earlier, Vidor, TX is a small but immensely racist town about 20 miles from where I grew up in Texas (which would place it roughly 70 miles from Houston). There is Klan activity there to this day, which is what makes Devin's claim of tip-toeing to his bitch in Vidor hilarious on so many levels.