OLD ASS STRUTTERS- when did YOU realize it?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Driving the 17 year old baby sitter home will make you feel old real quick. Like ... you were born in 1990?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Wait, it actually HAS been 20 years since I was in high school.

sayin...

Mostly when i drop pop culture references from my childhood and get stared at like 'what the fuck?'

and then theres the hair, i aint balding, but its slowly creeping down my neck.

co-signage on nosehair too

seeing the 19 year olds rock into work after pulling all nighters and not giving a fuck.

• -Riding the city bus on the way to work, i wanna grab one of them high school young'ns and be like "i had those jordans when they WERENT 'retro', sonny"!

-thinking(knowing!) that NONE of the shit that i used to be interested in (music,movies,tv,fashion,sports etc.) are as good as they used to be

-that realization that on a free day i would love to do nothing more than spend the whole thing sleeping

-rogue ear hair.

-foot pain

.....bah humbug @ this thread!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    When I started jogging again after a long lapse and it kicked my ass for DAYS

When women my mother's age (well, not my mother's current age, but the age that I will always remember as "my mother's age", ie 40-50) started giving me rhythm

When I walked through a college campus and got NO rhythm except from the grad students and associate profs

Getting winded just walking

My girl, and now me, turning 30 (yeah, not really all that old)

Talking about kids, like, seriously. And houses and rings and shit. OLD

Parents getting senile. Mom has an earpiece and dad is just flat out losing it

When the corner boys stopped trying to rob or fight me and started trying to sell me dope

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Three things spring to mind.

A few years ago, my twin nieces, now 18, were talking about this new tune by a UK pop act which had sampled Indeep's "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life". I told them that this hot joint they were raving about was basically some shit that me and their ma & pa dukes used to get down to when we were kids - before their parents even started dating, in fact. I felt pretty old at that point.

A couple of years ago, my younger brother was tour-managing this band, a couple of guys from whom we knew from way back. Me & my girl went to check them out at a festival, and while my boys had drawn a decent-sized, appreciative crowd for their set, within minutes of them leaving the stage, scores of kids started to congregate down the front in anticipation of the next act. By the time this band was a couple of numbers into their set, stage-front was absolute bedlam. Kids crowd-surfing and moshing and generally getting buckwild, getting pulled out by security and running back out front to dive straight back in. Despite always having considered myself to have at least some idea about what The Kids were down with (if only so I'd have something to talk to my nieces and nephews about), I had no clue who this band was (The Distillers, in case anyone's wondering), and here were a few thousand kids that were bang into their shit.

Finally, there was another episode not so long back where I was at a show with a couple of friends a little younger than me, but not by much. It wasn't a big venue, so we stood at the bar where we could check the band without cramping anyone's style. There was a bunch of kids stood in front of us who looked like they were late teens/early twenties. After the tallest of them had lurched into me for the third or fourth time, causing me to douse myself in beer, I tapped him on the shoulder;

"Excuse me, can you take it easy, please? You've just soaked me."

"Listen, mate, this is what gigs are like. If you can't hack it, you should stay away"

For once, I bit back.

"You patronising little twat. I was getting bottles bounced off my head in the moshpit at Clash gigs before you were fucking born, so don't try and tell me what gigs are like. Barge into me once more, and I'll fucking slap you."

He moved. I marked that one down in the "win" column.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    young cats dont even notice im alive at this point. ...and 90% of the kids on the bus/street/mall/tv just annoy the shit out of me by the way they talk and act. plus the lack of respect for adults (40+) REALLY pisses me off. i constantly put youngins on blast on the bus when they dont get up from their seat for an older lady. realllllly pisses me off... you young parents need to instill this in your children.

i need walking shoes now. not cross trainers or anything fancy, im talking orthopeds and shit like that... okay not that extreme yet but im getting there. tennis shoes arent comfortable anymore.

i have more leg problems that make me older than most people so i wont even get into that.

i dont understand all the slang that i used to. id be hip to any slang from around the country... now i find myself asking people what stuff means.

im really disconnected.

• Blow_FlyBlow_Fly 41 Posts
    "i had those jordans when they WERENT 'retro', sonny"!

-

Yesterday I was heading home from work and there was this guy walking next to me and all I could think of was what a stupid haircut he had.

Then I got off the tube and there was a band poster at the station and all the guys in the band, I couldn't tell if they were male or female and they all had the most ridiculous haircuts and I felt like my parents must feel when they just don't understand.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    thinking(knowing!) that NONE of the shit that i used to be interested in (music,movies,tv,fashion,sports etc.) are as good as they used to be

Actually, movies in the 80s kinda sucked so I'm not losing sleep over that one!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    When i had to start keeping my hair low so that the grey patches dont show.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i felt old also when my parents decided it would be "cool" to get tattoos in their golden years. my wife and i are heavily tattooed, and when my sister broke the news to me, i felt like i was old, the roles were reversed, and i was the old ass parent giving my parents (now the kids) the for getting tattooed.

big on the nose hair...grey nose hairs to be exact. seriously piss me off.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I hit the "fuck Im old" realization at age 27. I was playing in this band, we were touring and making records and we werent even remotely famous and it dawned on me NO rocker ever became rich and famous after age 27....all that shit happens to 22 year olds...I then knew it wasnt gonna happen to me, I was old...being a kid was over.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    re: making it in music >22 years old.

I think Ian Brown was 27 (at least) before the Stone Roses blew up. Ermm... The Charlatans re-invented themselves after being a straight "Rock" act for ages. David "White Ladder" Gray did his time. Anastacia. Jack Johnson is no nipper, either. Moby. The Gnarls Barkley boys are both in their 30's no?

It can be done, it seems, as long as it's NOT a genre of music that relies mostly on people wanting to f*ck you.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I think Ian Brown was 27 (at least) before the Stone Roses blew up. Ermm... The Charlatans re-invented themselves after being a straight "Rock" act for ages. David "White Ladder" Gray did his time. Anastacia. Jack Johnson is no nipper, either. Moby. The Gnarls Barkley boys are both in their 30's no?

It can be done, it seems, as long as it's NOT a genre of music that relies mostly on people wanting to f*ck you.

Yeah, I think there have been a LOT of musicians who made it late in the game. I'm not gonna research it or anything, but I know when I used to record in a studio with these rock dudes back in the 80s and was impatient about getting something going in the music biz, they used to be like "hey, you're still young... most bands don't make it until they're WAY older than you are right now". I never looked into that, but I just assumed that they knew what they were talking about.

Even in rap you have your share of dudes who hit it big later than usual- Chuck D, Ice T, Jay-Z, etc.

And speaking of Anastacia, I don't know WHY she didn't go straight to the top when she was a youngin'. We had the same management and actually did some recording together back in the early 90's (at D&D before Primo and them made it a hip hop household name... ), and I'm telling you, we thought she was a can't-miss superstar. Besides having the looks (pre-breast reduction... ), the girl could truly sing her ass off. I'm glad to see she finally got some success internationally, but she still never became as big as she should have IMO. I don't know, but I doubt that most people over here in the US are all that familiar with her, which is a shame if that's the case.

if it makes anyone feel better a lot you of you dudes seem younger than you are! this thread was a trip for me. soulman stays hip to the game, that shits just a number dunny!

once you accept the fact that you have moved into the next stage of life and adjust accordingly, getting older is not a problem... in some ways it's a good thing. i feel GREAT right now, other than a few minor aches and pains. the best thing about getting older is just being able to see everything soooooooooo much clearer. you never figure it all out (unless you're faux rillz, of course), but you understand the world infinitely better.
    the thing is learning to accept your old person status, which is not easy when you've spent your whole young adult life looking at oldness as a negative thing and then having to deal with young foolios who still look at it that way. like everything in life, though, you adapt or die. as you said, it is just a number and you're only as old as you want to be... well, until you are ravaged with illness and lose command of your faculties (and your bladder). Getting old ain't so bad. Getting real old and not having your health = Take care of yourselves, old ass strutters

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    90% of the kids on the bus/street/mall/tv just annoy the shit out of me by the way they talk and act.

Couldn't agree more.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    90% of the kids on the bus/street/mall/tv just annoy the shit out of me by the way they talk and act.

Ha ha so on point. Couldn't agree more but then I was an intolerant asshole even when I was young.

The most shocking realisation for me was when I was in a pub and everyone getting served looked about 3 years under the age limit.

Also, there's nothing like seeing a freind's little brother or sister all grown up that makes you realise how many years have been passing by.

Also, I work with people born in 1990. 1990! How fucked up is that.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Yeah, I think there have been a LOT of musicians who made it late in the game. I'm not gonna research it or anything, but I know when I used to record in a studio with these rock dudes back in the 80s and was impatient about getting something going in the music biz, they used to be like "hey, you're still young... most bands don't make it until they're WAY older than you are right now". I never looked into that, but I just assumed that they knew what they were talking about.

Even in rap you have your share of dudes who hit it big later than usual- Chuck D, Ice T, Jay-Z, etc.

And speaking of Anastacia, I don't know WHY she didn't go straight to the top when she was a youngin'. We had the same management and actually did some recording together back in the early 90's (at D&D before Primo and them made it a hip hop household name... ), and I'm telling you, we thought she was a can't-miss superstar. Besides having the looks (pre-breast reduction... ), the girl could truly sing her ass off. I'm glad to see she finally got some success internationally, but she still never became as big as she should have IMO. I don't know, but I doubt that most people over here in the US are all that familiar with her, which is a shame if that's the case.

Interesting Anastacia story there, Phill. What kind of shit were you working on? I know she's in her 30's now, and wasn't really a spring chicken when she blew up over here and in Europe (and fuck, did she blow up), but I think I remember she had a couple of deals which came to nothing before Sony UK finally broke her. She seems to have fallen off saleswise in recent years, though. Some people over here used to call her "Manastacia", but I thought she was a good-looking girl, and I definitely preferred her with all that stuff.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Grey hairs and stiff joints aren't phasing me, but two things have freaked me out recently:

The dude in my crew who we always referred to as "The Kid" because he was 7 or 8 years younger than the rest of us just turned 30 and got married.

My 20 year HS reunion is this weekend. I hated everyone ther when I went, so no way in hell am I going, but the fact that these type of bad TV show situations are occurring in my real life is wack.

• I used to think "Hey, I got my whole life ahead of me".

Then, I realized that's not really true anymore.
    I now have "some" of my life ahead of me, with a good portion behind me.

Receding hair started at 18, but it wasn't until seeing my bald spot in a picture at 25 that it made me feel old.

I had always eaten a lot and never gained any weight, then around 24 that changed, and I gained 10 lbs in 6 mos (and plenty more after that).
    Joined a gym and did a fitness assessment where they made me do push-ups and sit-ups to fail, and I actually vomited. I was a wrestler and football player in high school. It's amazing what can happen in 7 years.

At 25 I got back together with my high school gf. We woke up, got dressed in business casual ("biz-cas") for work and looked at each other and laughed, "Ha! Look at us! We're...um...uhh....old."

Now I'm a homeowner and engaged and there's no more room for denial.

Here's to enjoying the Grown years!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    thinking(knowing!) that NONE of the shit that i used to be interested in (music,movies,tv,fashion,sports etc.) are as good as they used to be

Actually, movies in the 80s kinda sucked so I'm not losing sleep over that one!

No shit - even when I was a teenager in the eighties I was more likely to buy old R&B 45's than Midnight Star and Billy Ocean, so I don't really feel like that music was My Schitt or anything like that. Everything I liked in the eighties that was current usually was stuff that didn't make it, like retro-garage and rockabilly bands (Lyres, Blasters, et al), or what was then known as college rock (Husker Du, Minutemen, Replacements, etc.). But I wasn't feeling Depeche Mode.

• A few months back, I was taking the train home from work. At 18th and Church, three black high school kids got on and start horsing around with each other. One put a long piece of tape on the other's shirt, another tries to snatch it off, and the third is throwing leftover Halloween candy at the first two. Just goofy teenager shit. They kept saying, "Think you can snatch somethin' offa TJ, ni**a? You ain't snatchin' shit off TJ, ni**a!" "Take that!" [Throws candy]

Then, a piece of candy lands near my foot, and one of the kids says, "Oh, excuse me, sir[/b]."

I can handle losing my hair, but that hurt.

When women my mother's age (well, not my mother's current age, but the age that I will always remember as "my mother's age", ie 40-50) started giving me rhythm

considering women in that age group look hotter than they used to (sheryl crow), this aint necessarily bad

When I walked through a college campus and got NO rhythm except from the grad students and associate profs

worked at a college a few years back, and i went through the same thing...since the grad students and associate profs were still in good shape...again, not a bad thing

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

considering women in that age group look hotter than they used to (sheryl crow), this aint necessarily bad

worked at a college a few years back, and i went through the same thing...since the grad students and associate profs were still in good shape...again, not a bad thing

Yo,

It's weird, this type of shit happens everyday with female faculty and staff on campus. Women in their mid 40's and up smile and act all "girlish" and flirtatious. If I was single, I could be Old mamas love grown-ass, mature men!!! Another indication of age is that I can't drink domestic, nasty, beer anymore, and I drink old man liquor (e.g., cognac, scotch, etc.). That young-boy, rot-gut shit would have my old ass sick the whole next day.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    A few months back, I was taking the train home from work. At 18th and Church, three black high school kids got on and start horsing around with each other. One put a long piece of tape on the other's shirt, another tries to snatch it off, and the third is throwing leftover Halloween candy at the first two. Just goofy teenager shit. They kept saying, "Think you can snatch somethin' offa TJ, ni**a? You ain't snatchin' shit off TJ, ni**a!" "Take that!" [Throws candy]

Then, a piece of candy lands near my foot, and one of the kids says, "Oh, excuse me, sir[/b]."

I can handle losing my hair, but that hurt.

Haha... I know just what you mean.

Here's an anecdote that relates to yours, although not to getting old:

On Monday a woman with two small kids gets onto the train. She sits down opposite me, and directs her kids to the bench on my side (why, I do not know). They leap onto the bench on either side of me, both managing to collide with me in the process. For several stops, they are passing schitt to one another back and forth across me. I look over at the mother, wondering when she is going to say "Please stop touching that man," and she has her eyes closed! Listening to her ipod, mouthing lyrics and having a case of rap hands!

Wtf?!

One thing I cannot stand in life is people who cannot control their kids!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This has been happening to me lately--women in their fifties trying to get girlish with me. I mean, damn--I know age differences matter less when you get older, but you're still old enough to be my mother!

Interesting Anastacia story there, Phill. What kind of shit were you working on? I know she's in her 30's now, and wasn't really a spring chicken when she blew up over here and in Europe (and fuck, did she blow up), but I think I remember she had a couple of deals which came to nothing before Sony UK finally broke her. She seems to have fallen off saleswise in recent years, though. Some people over here used to call her "Manastacia", but I thought she was a good-looking girl, and I definitely preferred her with all that stuff.

We did a "pop" project for RCA... i won't go into any more details about that on the grounds that I may incriminate myself. But Anastacia was pretty young at the time, maybe like late teens or early 20s I guess. She looked a lot different back then than she did once she hit it big in Europe... a little chubbier (which made her look softer and i guess less "mannish") and, of course, a lot more bustylicious. Definitely a good looking woman, but the pipes... whew, she was blowin' everybody in the studio away with some of the notes she was hitting. She was real cool people, too... coulda been on some wannabe-diva schitt if she wanted to, but she was very down to earth. Lucky for her I had a girlfriend at the time (my future wife), because you know cotdamn well...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

This has been happening to me lately--women in their fifties trying to get girlish with me. I mean, damn--I know age differences matter less when you get older, but you're still old enough to be my mother!

I had an old mama chick in Akron essentially offer me a room upstairs in her crib with "fringe benefits." Ewwwwwwwwwww!!! I tastefully declined, of course. It's just weird to see "mama" types try to act cutesy and youthful. Matronly does not equal "sexy". Don't get me wrong, some of those old mamas are fine and well-maintained, but most of them "I think they better let it go..."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I had a old mama chick in Akron essentially offer me a room upstairs in her crib with "fringe benefits." Ewwwwwwwwwww!!! I tastefully declined, of course. It's just weird to see "mama" types try to act cutesy and youthful. Matronly does not equal "sexy". Don't get me wrong, some of those old mamas are fine and well-maintained, but most of them "I think they better let it go..."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

you haven't lined up the puccini until you've lined up some fifty-something puccini

Doesn't really bother me as long as their closer to the Sheryl Crow/MILF vibe and not the "matronly frump" thing that Big Stacks mentions below...

I had a old mama chick in Akron essentially offer me a room upstairs in her crib with "fringe benefits." Ewwwwwwwwwww!!! I tastefully declined, of course. It's just weird to see "mama" types try to act cutesy and youthful. Matronly does not equal "sexy". Don't get me wrong, some of those old mamas are fine and well-maintained, but most of them "I think they better let it go..."

Doesn't really bother me as long as their closer to the Sheryl Crow/MILF vibe and not the "matronly frump" thing that Big Stacks mentions below...

Yep,

For example, Mrs. B****s back in the old neighborhood (built like a shit brickhouse, pretty face, etc.) could've gotten the "thang" back in the day because she was sexy, and not matronly. Weirdly enough, when I finished grad school, my old undergraduate advisor tried to hit on me Her best days were long behind her like Evander Holyfield, plus I was engaged to T**i at that point. It was really awkward, picking up my graduation present from her crib (I took T**i with me, by the way). Ole' girl had her hair dyed jet-black (and she's a really light-skinned sister), and it make her face looked aged and harsh (not the cutie I remember back as an undergraduate).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak