OLD ASS STRUTTERS- when did YOU realize it?

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    funny this post should come up. i just had yet another revelation that i am getting old last night.

I had to get a root canal last night and i was kinda surprised to see the dentist was probably my age if not younger. for as long as i can recall, my dentists have always been kinda old dudes, with perhaps a young looking female dental assistant. but this chick was[/b] my dentist and she was easily my age. if i was single, i would have hollered at her (free cleaning hook-up?)

root canals = nagl
    cute dentists = gl

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    My lady and I were just discussing how weird it is to see a doctor who is your age. It feels like, we could've just been at the bar having drinks and now you are feeling by ballsac (or in her case, breasts) for lumps.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    funny this post should come up. i just had yet another revelation that i am getting old last night.

I had to get a root canal last night and i was kinda surprised to see the dentist was probably my age if not younger. for as long as i can recall, my dentists have always been kinda old dudes, with perhaps a young looking female dental assistant. but this chick was[/b] my dentist and she was easily my age. if i was single, i would have hollered at her (free cleaning hook-up?)

root canals = nagl
    cute dentists = gl

Hey,

My primary physician is younger than I am. He looks like he's 26 years-old, easily. He's really good, but it's weird. He tears into me about my smoking (which again is weird from a dude younger than me), but he'd be happy to know I'm on my third day without puffin' (and I'm nickin' like a muthafucka!!!!).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    I'm on my third day without puffin' (and I'm nickin' like a muthafucka!!!!).

CONGRATS!!!! will you have to change your name now????

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Shiiit, I want a long drag off a Benson & Hedges Deluxe Ultra Light 100 menthol and a sip of coffee. Fuck than, I'm stronger than a cigarette! Damn that!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    My lady and I were just discussing how weird it is to see a doctor who is your age. It feels like, we could've just been at the bar having drinks and now you are feeling by ballsac (or in her case, breasts) for lumps.

Sometimes it's even weirder when you realize you could have babysat your boss.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Buying Cypress Hill's 'How I Could Just Kill A Man' 12" when it came out and realising that was 15 years ago.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Buying Cypress Hill's 'How I Could Just Kill A Man' 12" when it came out and realising that was 15 years ago.

Yeah, this happens to me constantly on some, "Oh, it's not that old, it came out in 1990...except that was 17 fucking years ago...holy crap, it is old. And that means I'm old!" Hip-hop in general makes me feel old.

Also, not being able to stay out as late or take in as many intoxicants as I could in my younger days. I was never mega-buckwild, but it used to be that I could hang out well into the AM, drinking/smoking the whole time, and be OK the next day. Nowadays, if I DJ during the week, the simple fact that I'm out until 2am and probably have a couple beers makes getting through work the next day a monumental task.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    the best shit is sitting in a barber shop in Birmingham and hearing the barber say to the youngun "keep laughing - you bout to be the new old people."

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    the best shit is sitting in a barber shop in Birmingham and hearing the barber say to the youngun "keep laughing - you bout to be the new old people."

why do young people who talk about old people never realize this? and that includes me when i was young, too! i swear, when i was a teen and even older i didn't think i'd make it to 35. Not because i lived such a perilous life in the hood or some schitt... i just couldn't imagine myself ever being so cotdamn ancient!

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    who's old? 30's the new 20- right guys? ask jay-z

I know....

Honestly, I've been feeling old since I was 18 and graduated from high school- I was like the fun is over. Pretty ridiculous in hindsight.

And I'm also starting to not find any "new" hip-hop to get into...

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    nice to read this thread...i've been thinking about this alot lately, i just turned 31, i'm getting more and more grey hairs, and now i'm single after being in a relationship for 6 years. getting out there can be daunting...every chick i meet is 20 to 25! but they all think i'm the same age...which makes me wonder, should i lie about my age? i never do. it seems people can react two ways, wow, you look great for your age, i'm impressed, you most be old and wise and you make me nervous being around such a mature handsome devil like yourself. or they think, damn, he's old, and gross that he's even interested in me.
    but whatever, i was making out with this hot 20 year old aussie chick the other night.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    When you're trying to lecture your parents on how to live.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Driving the 17 year old baby sitter home will make you feel old real quick. Like ... you were born in 1990?

This is funny, and completely understandable.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

My mom was in town this week...i found myself doing this.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Shiiit, I want a long drag off a Benson & Hedges Deluxe Ultra Light 100 menthol and a sip of coffee. Fuck than, I'm stronger than a cigarette! Damn that!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yo congrats man - keep it up! I'm still a slave to the cigarettes, but I know when I'm ready - DASIT. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who smokes "Bitches and Ho's". I forever get teased about that shit, but I am secure in my sophistication

That being said, not looking at any of you dudes as old makes ME feel old.

I'll be 32 this month.

Last revelation I can think of I was DJing hip hop "classics" and realizing the crowd had no idea what I was even playing.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

I said, "Yeah, like the 2007 version of Cross Colours."

"The 2007 of what now?"

^^^that's awesome.

i've got all the hair issues, but the slower metabolism is really fucking my shit up right about now. which could be related to this..

Also, not being able to stay out as late or take in as many intoxicants as I could in my younger days. I was never mega-buckwild, but it used to be that I could hang out well into the AM, drinking/smoking the whole time, and be OK the next day. Nowadays, if I DJ during the week, the simple fact that I'm out until 2am and probably have a couple beers makes getting through work the next day a monumental task.

i'm only 31, and i have totally noticed this. i've never been a drinker, but i still used to love to stay up till 4 or 5, sleep till noon or 1, and then be all good. if i try to pull that now, my constitution's fucked up for days after, and that's without any intoxicants. plus me and the wife have started getting up earlier on weekends (like 9 or 10) which is a sure sign that that ass is getting old.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

the second one was when i took my family to the Universoul circus...

I seriously love that you can write this without any hint of irony.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

My mom was in town this week...i found myself doing this.

damn, that means I'm old

my upcoming 10 year high school reunion has me feeling like my young years are coming to an end. people are organizing throgh myspace and looking at old high school folks profiles and seeing them and the litter of children they all seem to have makes me feel like my party and club going self is not recognizing the real that is age

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Buying RUN DMC Raising Hell when it came out and realising that was 20+ years ago.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

the second one was when i took my family to the Universoul circus...

I seriously love that you can write this without any hint of irony.

Even a young baby daddy who's only 21 or so should be taking all five of his youngins to the Universoul circus, you kiddin' me? It's so FUN! For old-ass strutters and young-ass strutters alike

when i say "big top", you say "circus"

BIG-TOP! (CIRCUS!)
    BIG-TOP! (CIRCUS!)

i love the circus.

i think she loves the circus too.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

i'm only 31, and i have totally noticed this. i've never been a drinker, but i still used to love to stay up till 4 or 5, sleep till noon or 1, and then be all good. if i try to pull that now, my constitution's fucked up for days after, and that's without any intoxicants. plus me and the wife have started getting up earlier on weekends (like 9 or 10) which is a sure sign that that ass is getting old.

You think it's bad now, wait until (if) you have kids. Sleeping until 9-10 is an unimaginable luxury to me, I haven't slept past 7:30 in months. When you are up before the Today show starts on the regular, your ass is old (or you need a different job).

I've been helping my mom prepare to retire for the past few weeks, getting financials straight and all that. I feel as responsible for her future as I do for my kids, shit is scary.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

i think she loves the circus too.

I do, too! Zeke and Onionhead are my mans and 'em.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i realized when the girls in playboy were suddenly younger than me when they were always older than me...

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    shit happens in stages...

Every passing year it seems to hit me in a different way...which usually involves be reflecting on where i was in my life 1 or 2 years before and how far away that often seems to be. Physically i still feel young enough (that is until i take my hat off). but the biggest clue for me was when i started to prefer spending my free time by myself, doing my own thing. Still seeing friends once in a while, but not needing that kind of social interaction every day. Not to mention enjoying time with the parents and starting to feel like i'm getting on their level--but in a good way. But i'm still in my 20s so i know i've got nothing on a few people here. i'll shut up now.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I have a lot of memorabilia in my shop from shows I went to in the early/mid 80's. Kids (were talking 18-25 year olds) come in and stare at the handbills and photos in amazement like I used to at Fillmore and Winterland posters when I started going to record stores in the late 70's.

I've almost stopped telling show stories at work because they usually go like this:

Dude buying a Replacements record: "I've been looking forever for this record."
    Me: "I saw them a few times, first time being in 1984 at the old 40 Watt Club in Athens. Great show."
    Dude: "I was two."

• The other day when a few kids came up to me in the grocery store and and asked:

"Sir, could you please buy some weed for us in the coffeeshop next door?"

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    well friends are all getting married and sheit...

but the majority of comments seem to be looking at it from a negative point of view...what about the knowledge and wisdom you aquire? or missing the knowledge gaining part of school? recently i decided to take some course at night school/ or an early weekend, because i needed something to get me through the winter(which i fucking despise) and the courses have NOTHING to do with furthering my job prospects and its been rewarding as hell. in some ways i'm looking forward to the days i can be one of those wise "old" people you meet sometimes and kick knowledge and truth to the youth, there's something really elegant and classy about that...like on a yoda tip or something. but for real, dont u find as you get older you want to learn more? if i didnt have to work, id be attending random university lectures or some shit.

but it is true how we turn into our parents and think we're so progressive as teens, if i could encounter my teenage self i'd tell him;

"take that che guevara tshirt off, and stop thinking you're always going to be into 'new music', i'm your 28 year old version of yourself and i haven't listened to the radio in years asshole, and learn how to dress(wear pointy shoes)...oh and you might not realize it now, but one day these tiny pictures will be on this thing called the internet, which will display on your computer, and they will communicate meaning, almost like hieroglyphics:

and also the ex-football player from naked gun will be "

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    This hasn't QUITE happened to me yet, but it may have hit some of you Strutters already...

On the record collecting tip, ever leave a record store or convention not because you're broke, but BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN COLLECTING SO LONG, YOU ALREADY HAVE EVERYTHING YOU'D WANT? Speak now!

And no, this isn't one of those crybaby, killjoy "I'm quittin' record collecting, I'm high on LIFE" posts! [/b]

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yes
    the above noted"been there bought it" ratio has gone up
    i wind up not buying anything or just buying shit that i know i can trade or flip for more cake
    70% the music that i fiend for is from Africa/Brazil/Japan or Europe.