Bootlegging Killed it (hiphop related)

Comments

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Due for an unsolicited diss PM

got them last NIGHT!!! and by intent, any PM's from this point would be deemed solicited. We're dealing with supertoaster in the form a post grad!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Dude the lineup on your comp is nice,but i'll still have to download it first and give it a through listen,before i buy it.

• well. . .as for my band(ugly duckling) we actually encourage file sharing and downloading. we look at is as a listening station. if your music is good people will buy it. if not they will not buy it. it's that simple. peace, stein. . .

• It's not anything new is the point. This has been a conversation piece for, what, i dunno, 5 or 6 years? And, people are STILL all up in arms about this shit?

but em - HIS SHIT IS BEING DOWNLOADED NOW!!!!!! HE'S WORKING WITH PRIME TIME CATS AND HIS SHINE IS NOT MATCHING HIS PHOTO SHOOTS!!!!!

Actually the jury's still out on that one. thx for the props on the photo shoot tho.

should get word on sales pretty soon. i'll let you know holmes, i know you're very concerned.

• well. . .as for my band(ugly duckling) we actually encourage file sharing and downloading. we look at is as a listening station. if your music is good people will buy it. if not they will not buy it. it's that simple. peace, stein. . .

well, hey, worth a shot if thats what you believe. me personally, i never bought anything i could get for free. i think a lot of people share my view. i think people that just want to preview can do that on iTunes.

should get word on sales pretty soon. i'll let you know holmes, i know you're very concerned.

I can pull 'em for ya if ya want!!!!

• should get word on sales pretty soon. i'll let you know holmes, i know you're very concerned.

I can pull 'em for ya if ya want!!!!

oh god this is getting outta control.

ok, pull em if you want. i'm not sure what it will prove. if the numbers are high, great, if they're low, than I'll say its b/c of bootlegging, and you'll say its b/c i'm sub-human...

pull em if you want. but it would be dick to pull mine and not yours. i never did call out the numbers you told me in private. but dude don't post mine if you're not posting yours.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    well. . .as for my band(ugly duckling) we actually encourage file sharing and downloading. we look at is as a listening station. if your music is good people will buy it. if not they will not buy it. it's that simple. peace, stein. . .

you guys are too kind!!

if you create something and someone steals it...that is wrong! the game has not changed. if i go to the polo store, try on a shirt and then carl lewis it out of the store, there is still a decent chance i might get nabbed. but what if me and 500 of my friends ambush the store? the chances become pretty slim...but it's still a crime!

right now everyone is pulling a huge smash and grab. i'm not innocent of it and i would assume that everyone on soulstrut has done it too. but dont get it twisted!! this is stealing. if you are a dj or producer putting out unlicensed stuff and people are bootlegging it. you are stealing too! the only innocent people on this thread are the ugly ducklings and other artists who paid the licenses, followed the rules, and now have to deal with this million person smash and grab. trust me though, the laws are not changing. everybody will get dealt with eventually.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    There will be a Seratobacklash, at least i don't always want to look like I am checking emails when rocking a crowd...

This is ludicrous. (A) Nobody really cares what a DJ looks like he's doing when he's on stage and (B) the things Microwave allows you to do as a DJ greatly benefits everyone's club-going experience. You think people are going to suddenly revolt against Microwave on some "Wow, this dude is doing some crazy shit and I'm totally enjoying myself but, he looks like he's checking his email up there! WHAT THE FUCK?! BUZZKILL!! I'm no longer drunk and having fun and I no longer want to have sex with this girl in front of me because DJ man looks like he's checking his email!!! NOOO!"

The fuck outta here.

By the way, who wants to hear "warm sounds of vinyl" in the club? That shit just needs to knock.

"Wow, Becky! Listen to how warm the 808s sound on this Chris Brown song! Let's Dance!"

Blah.

-e

I totally agree. Noone gives a shit, how the dj acts and moves when it is 3am and you are dancing and checkin out the fly females you are with to the latest becky song of the hour. And yes, Microwave is clearly benefiting "everyone's club-going experience". Backlash might be a too harsh word, but there will at least always be people who might also enjoy watching a dj flipping through crates at a stage, not having him in front of a screen inbetween songs. That's where I was headin' at. Just sayin'...and that carrying shitloads of vinyls sucks is self explanatory.

btw

"Wow, Becky! Listen to how warm the 808s sound on this Chris Brown song! Let's Dance!"

would actually be a dope pick up line...

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    well. . .as for my band(ugly duckling) we actually encourage file sharing and downloading. we look at is as a listening station. if your music is good people will buy it. if not they will not buy it. it's that simple. peace, stein. . .

you guys are too kind!!

if you create something and someone steals it...that is wrong! the game has not changed. if i go to the polo store, try on a shirt and then carl lewis it out of the store, there is still a decent chance i might get nabbed. but what if me and 500 of my friends ambush the store? the chances become pretty slim...but it's still a crime!

right now everyone is pulling a huge smash and grab. i'm not innocent of it and i would assume that everyone on soulstrut has done it too. but dont get it twisted!! this is stealing. if you are a dj or producer putting out unlicensed stuff and people are bootlegging it. you are stealing too! the only innocent people on this thread are the ugly ducklings and other artists who paid the licenses, followed the rules, and now have to deal with this million person smash and grab. trust me though, the laws are not changing. everybody will get dealt with eventually.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    but there will at least always be people who might also enjoy watching a dj flipping through crates at a stage, not having him in front of a screen inbetween songs.
    if you're watching the dj, they're not doing their job

I totally agree. Noone gives a shit, how the dj acts and moves when it is 3am and you are dancing and checkin out the fly females you are with to the latest becky song of the hour. And yes, Microwave is clearly benefiting "everyone's club-going experience". Backlash might be a too harsh word, but there will at least always be people one or two other dj's or record nerds[/b] who might also enjoy watching a dj flipping through crates at a stage, not having him in front of a screen inbetween songs. That's where I was headin' at. Just sayin'...and that carrying shitloads of vinyls sucks is self explanatory.

would i be laughing (or the butt of the joke) if i got your simpsons reference?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    but there will at least always be people who might also enjoy watching a dj flipping through crates at a stage, not having him in front of a screen inbetween songs.
    if you're watching the dj, they're not doing their job

I don't mean that kind of "watching". I am not talking about "WTF is he doin'?", when something goes wrong or you experience the music to be lame.

you'd be the butt of the joke. i was just joshin' ya though. to me, all of this "stealing is a crime! stealing is bad! don't do it it's against the law!" talk just reminds me of Flanders.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I don't mean that kind of "watching". I am not talking about "WTF is he doin'?", when something goes wrong or you experience the music to be lame.
    i have no idea what this means

in regards to the stealing thing, it's a faulty argument because me downloading an album is not the same as the loss of a physical product when something like shoplifting occurs. you are able to directly measure your losses with shoplifting but how do you measure financial losses with downloading? shit, if you measure each download as a lost sale like some morons do, mufuckaz be going platinum on the internet everyday!

• I don't mean that kind of "watching". I am not talking about "WTF is he doin'?", when something goes wrong or you experience the music to be lame.

in regards to the stealing thing, it's a faulty argument because me downloading an album is not the same as the loss of a physical product when something like shoplifting occurs. you are able to directly measure your losses with shoplifting but how do you measure financial losses with downloading? shit, if you measure each download as a lost sale like some morons do, mufuckaz be going platinum on the internet everyday!

right, theres some gray area for sure. not every illegal download can be counted as a lost sale. but some can. how many, nobody knows. but downloading has been rising the same time that sales across the board are falling, they seem to correspond. i think someone said 21% decline.

right, because if somebody downloads your shit, there's no guarantee that that person was going to buy it in the first place, so you can't say you lost money.

and i still agree with the idea that the game changed, you should adapt to it and find how to make your money

b/w

cd sales don't make you money anyway, get your tour game proper and go get that cheese like everyone else.

people bitching about downloads hurting their album sales obviously aren't selling enough, no offense.

• I don't mean that kind of "watching". I am not talking about "WTF is he doin'?", when something goes wrong or you experience the music to be lame.

right, because if somebody downloads your shit, there's no guarantee that that person was going to buy it in the first place, so you can't say you lost money.

and i still agree with the idea that the game changed, you should adapt to it and find how to make your money

b/w

cd sales don't make you money anyway, get your tour game proper and go get that cheese like everyone else.

people bitching about downloads hurting their album sales obviously aren't selling enough, no offense.

no doubt, the game has changed, adaptation is needed.

but no one knows how to adapt. so far, labels, distributors and retailers are simply taking the punch. all they can do is downsize, cut costs, cut employees, and restructure.

people bitching about downloads hurting them is everyone. every single project out there is selling below its goal. across the board. right. nobody's selling enough.

b/w

no doubt, the game has changed, adaptation is needed.

but no one knows how to adapt. so far, labels, distributors and retailers are simply taking the punch. all they can do is downsize, cut costs, cut employees, and restructure.

people bitching about downloads hurting them is everyone. every single project out there is selling below its goal. across the board. right. nobody's selling enough.

I really don't think theres any illegal downloading success stories.

correct me if I'm wrong (using specific examples).

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    major labels do not have their shit together and independent artists should not take them as an example. sure, sales are down but people BEEN making more money off other shit besides album sales for a while now. like i said before, i'm sympathetic about the whole thing but complaining about it will not fix anything.

you'd be the butt of the joke. i was just joshin' ya though. to me, all of this "stealing is a crime! stealing is bad! don't do it it's against the law!" talk just reminds me of Flanders.

gotcha. i'm not trying to be the moral police (althought this certainly isnt a victimless crime). just pointing out that massive stealing is obviously still a crime and that the record companies are taking a hit, but they aren't stupid and the laws aren't gonna change to protect thiefs.

• major labels do not have their shit together and independent artists should not take them as an example. sure, sales are down but people BEEN making more money off other shit besides album sales for a while now. like i said before, i'm sympathetic about the whole thing but complaining about it will not fix anything.

no doubt man, "other" income is necessary.

my goal wasn't, originally, to complain. it was to discuss why hip hop is in the death state its in, using my situation as an example. i'm genuinely interested in hearing what people think about this and what they think the solution is.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    my goal wasn't, originally, to complain. it was to discuss why hip hop is in the death state its in, using my situation as an example. i'm genuinely interested in hearing what people think about this and what they think the solution is.
    hip hop is not in a "death state." you've already heard what several of us think about the bootlegging issue but hip hop is alive and well. whether you like its current incarnation is completely up to you

• my goal wasn't, originally, to complain. it was to discuss why hip hop is in the death state its in, using my situation as an example. i'm genuinely interested in hearing what people think about this and what they think the solution is.
    hip hop is not in a "death state." you've already heard what several of us think about the bootlegging issue but hip hop is alive and well. whether you like its current incarnation is completely up to you

this shit started with "hip hop is dead"

we were discussing "death state"

right, i've heard what people said about bootlegging..... (?)

pull em if you want. but it would be dick to pull mine and not yours. i never did call out the numbers you told me in private. but dude don't post mine if you're not posting yours.

call 'em out - proof of my shit is well documented and can be easily confirmed by a simple google search or half of the OG's on this site. But again you're the asshurt soul who cuz your newfound caviar dreams aren't going as you planned feels to the need to be suspect of cats who actually made real world moves before you found hip hop.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

call 'em out - proof of my shit is well documented and can be easily confirmed by a simple google search or half of the OG's on this site. But again you're the asshurt soul who cuz your newfound caviar dreams aren't going as you planned feels to the need to be suspect of cats who actually made real world moves before you found hip hop.

Are you the dude who was Raw Shack records?

• yoigotbeats i'm really trying to squash this at this point.

you can post mine and yours if you want. i don't have those numbers to post, and i wouldn't if i did. i'm much more interested in debating industry trends than continuing this "me vs you" shit. not sure how it got to this..

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I don't think hip-hop has been the worst hit - I think dance music has suffered greatly, especially considering that most of it used to sell on vinyl, all around the world.

I think mp3's are fucked, but they're not going anywhere. DRM will never work, because it's already dated by the time its created. Plus, fuck Sony putting a rootkit into my machine.

The one thing no one has mentioned in this thread is "value". There is very little value in owning a cd, because they're just not that interesting, ie, shitty artwork, small size, no real info on the liner. That's why mp3's have thrived because there's not much difference between them, as far as a perceived "value".

I think a great idea is to sell your cd, and give away a t-shirt, a toy, a keyring, a pocketknife or something like that. Yeah it'll cost more, but it will have value, as opposed to relying solely on the music, which can, lets face it, be very easily stolen.

Just make sure the music wasn't created on cracked software!!!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Just make sure the music wasn't created on cracked software!!!

Yeah, dudes saying buy my records just after they spent 20 mins grabbing a couple of cracked plug-ins for pro tools.