hannity's clumsy smear of obama's church

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    yeah wtf? tim hardaway is a dickhead and i didn't see a thread but i assumed that would go without saying.

And it DOESN'T go without saying that Coulter is an ignorant cunt??

It does, but yet, people gasped, looked around, then started heartily laughing. Cmon. THIS BITCH SELLS BOOKS, who's buying?

The same brand of idiots that applaud when they hear someone suggest Bush or Cheney(or ANY President) should be assassinated.

who does this? what is this, 2000? dude bush-hating has been passe for liberals for a minute now, your own party is mad at the dude.

Bill Maher...last week....

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ugh way to turn this into a byrd debate

i don't know the specifics about it and honestly don't care. he was in the klan. he sucks. so what? what does that have to do with anything? Byrd isn't on TV right now saying that Obama is a dangerous black seperatist. He's not out there calling people faggots.

jesus christ dude the byrd issue is such a blantantly transparent shield here for ... i don't know what. a thread that makes you uncomfortable because it is about conservatives acting like dickheads?

When Byrd votes against hate crimes legislation or something feel free to start a thread and i'll gladly cosign that he's a dumbass. Whats yr point?

You'll never get my point.....you've picked a side....you'll defend(or ignore) those on your 'side" and you'll trash those who are on the other "side".

How does Coulter or Hannity have more influence in this country than an elected official??

While they're selling books, Byrd is calling folks "White Niggers"(2001) and passing laws.

Great
    no i get your point. you're the one bringing 'sides' into this shit.
    like i said, when this dude does something offensive to me i will make a thread about it. When he does something, like, now. Not 50 years ago or whatever. Should the burden be on me to start some thread about Hitler just so that you all know that i think hitler sucked too? You're being so fucking silly.

If Byrd does something racially offensive, like i said, i'll be there to say 'thats bullshit, he sucks.' But byrd has nothing to do with this thread, which is about hannity being a dumbass. your motives in bringing up byrd are beyond and

never mind that my point in starting this thread wasn't "lol conservatives!" but to provoke some kind of discussion about hannity's rhetorical technique and its potential impact on the campaign.

I brought up Byrd as a possible explanation as to why someone accused the KKK as being a left wing group.

Obviously a mistake.

Comparing Hitler and the KKK may or may not be legit, saying you could forgive both for 50 year old actions is admirable, electing them to a position of power is insane(imo)

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I brought up Byrd as a possible explanation as to why someone accused the KKK as being a left wing group.

Obviously a mistake.
    Yes, because thats a logical fallacy; giuliani is pro-choice but that doesn't mean that pro-choicers are a right wing group.

Comparing Hitler and the KKK may or may not be legit, saying you could forgive both for 50 year old actions is admirable, electing them to a position of power is insane(imo)
    i said nothing about 'forgiving' them and i didn't elect byrd, his constituents did. But do you actually know anything about the dude, his policies, what legislation he's voted for? Just curious.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    yeah there was a long thread about Timmy. It was called "The Real Timmy" or something.

Timmy absolutely flips his lid

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post817955

kinda sad to see words like respect and appreciate used in response to what he said

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ok not that i'm neccessarily engaging you in a debate about byrd nor am i endorsing him or forgiving him or whatever you apparently think I do by being 'a liberal' but uh here's a quick hint at the practical effects of Byrd's transformation:
    In the NAACP's [21] Congressional Report Card for the 108th Congress (spanning the 2003???2004 congressional session), Byrd was awarded with an approval rating of 100% for favoring the NAACP's position in all 33 bills presented to the United States Senate regarding issues of their concern. Only 16 other Senators of the same session matched this approval rating.

On the other hand, this is a total bitch move and I object to it:
    He strongly opposed Clinton's 1993 efforts to allow gays to serve in the military and has also supported efforts to limit gay marriage.

But once again i don't understand what you're even arguing here. In a shocking development, I don't cosign everything all democrats have done ever.

i. But do you actually know anything about the dude Just curious.

Here's what I know......he was a "Kleagle" in the KKK reportedly until 1947.

In 1948 it's documented that he wrote a letter in which.....

"Byrd vowed never to fight:"with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds"

Three years after disavowing the KKK it is reported that he wrote: "The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia" and "in every state in the Union."

In 1952 he was elected to office and he claimed that his KKK membership was "An albatross"

The ex-Klansman later filibustered the landmark 1964 Civil Rights Act -- supported by a majority of those "mean-spirited" Republicans -- for more than 14 hours. He also opposed the nominations of the Supreme Court's two black justices, liberal Thurgood Marshall and conservative Clarence Thomas. In fact, the ex-Klansman had the gall to accuse Justice Thomas of "injecting racism" into the Senate hearings. Meanwhile, author Graham Smith recently discovered another letter Sen. Byrd wrote after he quit the KKK, this time attacking desegregation of the armed forces.

In 2001 Robert Byrd, the senior senator from West Virginia, casually used the phrase "white nigger" twice on national TV.(Why this isn't nearly as offensive as Michael Richards is beyond me)

________________________________________________________________________________

So while I'm no Robert Byrd expert, the above is really all I need to know about him to know I don't like him.

Just like I don't like Ann Coulter or Sean Hannity.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ok. so why bring him up in a thread entirely unrelated to him? there are tons of racists out there. some of them are even famous.

ok. so why bring him up in a thread entirely unrelated to him? there are tons of racists out there. some of them are even famous.

I hope we have kept this on no beef level.....certainly has been for me....

Brought Byrd up in response to Dolo's comment about the KKK being a "left wing" group.

It's probably more correct to say, in a historical sense, that it was a mostly Democrat membered group.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    So while I'm no Robert Byrd expert, the above is really all I need to know about him to know I don't like him.
    Just like I don't like Ann Coulter or Sean Hannity.

I agree with you 100% on Byrd and the role of Hannity and Coulter. But the issue is this: One of the most currently viable candidates for the GOP nomination for President chose Coulter to speak at a GOP event and publicly underscored that choice with the pre-speech assertion "And this is a GOOD thing." They were also seen mugging for cameras backstage either directly prior to or shortly after her speech. This is most certainly guilt by choice of associates.

Back to the point. I made a list of direct superlatives (not inferred, save for the ~) used in the Hannity YT clips. These are all meant, of course, to represent Barak Obama as a man:

cult-like
    separatist
    non-american
    non-christian
    akin to Aryan Brotherhood
    worshiping Africa (~ pagan)
    coven
    divisive
    African separatist movement
    very controversial
    very concerning
    Branch Davidians (really???)
    defensive

Come on. All that's missing is a picture of a person with a bone through his nose and a necklace made of teeth. Or, a necklace made of rope.

Extra thoughts and jottings:

???The third clip was set up as a direct deflection of the Coulter/Romney criticism. The leading tone throughout all clips is highly defensive and reactionary in this respect.

???Erik Rush sells out his own skin color and ID as an "African-American" to denigrate Blacks who doubly identify with their communities and the land that their forefathers were forcibly taken from. Duplicitous at best and shameful at worst.

???It's so easy for whites so say "we're all equal now." Fuck you. That, plus it's a Black fucking church in a Black Community! Are ghettoized Blacks separatists, too? Jesus Christ, indeed!

???Hannity trying to out-black Obama's pastor with the MLK quote (Holy shit! For real?) is like a McDonald's spokesman criticising a vegan for "not being vegan enough" *

???The intro clip stating that Barak Obama "doesn't have over 50% of the African-American vote" in a former slave state (Is this among Rs & Ds? Or just Ds? Is this among the state has was campaigning in? Or the USA? Does less than 50% really mean "still very much in the lead but at 49% while Clinton and Edwards - not to mention, possibly, the GOP candidates - trail in with 25 % each?) is seemingly skewed beyond recognition.

???Colmes actually came correct in YT #2! Holy shit!

*(or, add your own simile)

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Your both playing yourselves, there will be no substantive response from either of them.

If they actually had to follow their knee-jerk responses with tangible, non-sarcastic answers to actual questions:

Hi Saba! Hi Dolo!

Props to Rock for actually engaging in debate, with only a couple distortions.

yeah wtf? tim hardaway is a dickhead and i didn't see a thread but i assumed that would go without saying.

It does, but yet, people gasped, looked around, then started heartily laughing. Cmon. THIS BITCH SELLS BOOKS, who's buying?

The same brand of idiots that applaud when they hear someone suggest Bush or Cheney(or ANY President) should be assassinated.

who does this? what is this, 2000? dude bush-hating has been passe for liberals for a minute now, your own party is mad at the dude.

Nope!!

This is offensive to you??

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    erik rush does not come off as the swiftest

Your both playing yourselves, there will be no substantive response from either of them.

If they actually had to follow their knee-jerk responses with tangible, non-sarcastic answers to actual questions:

Hi Saba! Hi Dolo!

Props to Rock for actually engaging in debate, with only a couple distortions.

Nope!!

This is offensive to you??

Offensive to me personally.....no.

Do you think it's being used as right wing idiot fodder??

The same way Coulter and Hannity play here??

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    all i see in that bill maher shit is bill confusing free speech, like a college freshman or something

Maher is the biggest dipshit when talking about religion
    a smug psued

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I'm just saying Rock, you equated this to him calling Edwards 'faggot' or Hannity's charecterization of Obama's church. Now, I'm not sitting here starting a letter writing campaign about either of them, but do you disagree that they are both more offensive than whatever the parallel is supposed to be in the Maher clip?

Also, unlike you Rock, the other two seem to not really care about the issues or how they effect people, they seem to only see politics as some kind of pissing contest in which the winner is whoever pisses the other side off the most. They care about politics, not issues, thats why their posts never go any further than provocation...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm just saying Rock, you equated this to him calling Edwards 'faggot' or Hannity's charecterization of Obama's church. Now, I'm not sitting here starting a letter writing campaign about either of them, but do you disagree that they are both more offensive than whatever the parallel is supposed to be in the Maher clip?

Also, unlike you Rock, the other two seem to not really care about the issues or how they effect people, they seem to only see politics as some kind of pissing contest in which the winner is whoever pisses the other side off the most. They care about politics, not issues, thats why their posts never go any further than provocation...

The Maher YT clip has edited by the poster. If we had a clip of the whole show, we could fully comment on it. Maher didn't say "Cheney should be assassinated/killed/offed/murked/whatever." he said that it should be okay for folks to WISH - is that a double passive? - it so. Maher was quoting a blogger, for Jesus' sake. That's probably not the wisest thing to say on one's own TV show, but it's hardly the Clarion Call to violence that FoxNews'll make it out to be.

You can rationalize how Maher's quips are not on the same "level" as Rush Limbaugh's....but it's all relative and dependent upon your point of view.

The left points at Coulter, O'Reilly, Rush and Hannity, confident that they are evil and the cause/reflection of all our problems....

The right uses Colbert, Franken, Stewart and Maher as their foils and create the same propaganda to support their "goals".

Seeing both sides fall for it is discouraging.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Colbert/Stewart are comedians. Technically, Maher is too.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    If you want to talk about something specific Maher said, make you own thread about it instead of this weird tit for tat shit. this is a dodge. deal with what hannity's saying - if you disagree with him, say so. i don't care about byrd, or maher, or whatever, because that has nothing to do w/ this thread.

Yes sir.

(This is what Dolo calls trying to "ingratiate" myself)

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    You can rationalize how Maher's quips are not on the same "level" as Rush Limbaugh's....but it's all relative and dependent upon your point of view.

The left points at Coulter, O'Reilly, Rush and Hannity, [/b] confident that they are evil and the cause/reflection of all our problems....

The right uses Colbert, Franken, Stewart and Maher [/b] as their foils and create the same propaganda to support their "goals".

well from the looks of your two comparative lists, I'll say this: the left is way funnier than the right. and, ironically given the way the right uses the same words to refer to the left, the right is a lot shriller and more bitter.

just on the basis of your little representative lists that is.

The left points at Coulter, O'Reilly, Rush and Hannity, [/b] confident that they are evil and the cause/reflection of all our problems....

The right uses Colbert, Franken, Stewart and Maher [/b] as their foils and create the same propaganda to support their "goals".

well from the looks of your two comparative lists, I'll say this: the left is way funnier than the right. and, ironically given the way the right uses the same words to refer to the left, the right is a lot shriller and more bitter.

just on the basis of your little representative lists that is.

Agreed

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Back to the point.

Thanks W***. I don't know what all that Bobby Byrd nonsense was. Who knew that old guy who sang with James Brown was in the klan!?! i thought only old blind black men played by Dave Chapelle were allowed to be black white supremacists.

Hannity came across like a complete jackass. This is the first time I have ever seen anything from their show. Is Hannity always this big of a jackass or does the suggestion that black people might be working at self-betterment and empowerment bring it out in him?

This is clearly a smear campaign, but it is so sloppy that you know it's in the trial balloon stage. If Obama gets the nomination, look for more reputable folks on the Sunday morning talk shows to winnow the list down to the ones that stick, the ones that they get on their talking points memo from Rove, probably the ones in bold below

cult-like
    separatist[/b]
    non-american[/b]
    non-christian
    akin to Aryan Brotherhood
    worshiping Africa (~ pagan)
    coven
    divisive[/b]
    African separatist movement
    very controversial
    very concerning[/b]
    Branch Davidians (???)
    defensive

Clip #1: Michael Steele
    Hannity certainly got more than he bargained for with Steele. He set up the "black/white community" "black/white family" line for Steele, and Steele, competely nonchalant, says, "Yeah. I assume it's a black church." That's when the laugh track started at my house. The suggestion that a black church should serve and support something besides the black community is ridiculous. Steele knows this.

Clip #2: Erik Rush
    This guy is a total moron. Or if he's not a total moron, he just acts like one on TV. I don't know if he was on the payroll deeper than his appearance fee or what, but man, he comes across dumb. Colmes gives him straight questions: "Are you questioning Obama's faith?" and he says "yes." And then when asked what gives him the right, he goes, um, er, I'm not, well, I just said I was. He's never been to Trinity United, he knows nothing about the history of the black church, and he knows nothing about Obama's religion. He DOES know that if he writes an article trashing Obama and his church, he'll get on TV because he's black.

Clip #3: Jeremiah Wright
    In September 1995, I saw Dr. Wright give a sermon at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta. In case any of you dipshits don't already know, Ebenezer is the church that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. grew up in, where his father was the pastor. Coretta Scott King (R.I.P.) was in attendance that day, too. He gave the most powerful, prophetic, political sermon I've ever heard with my own two ears and seen with my own two eyes. He brought the house down. And Ebenezer is not exactly a gimme crowd that'll stand up and shout for just any old preacher. They know how to tell the better from the best, and this was the best.

Beyond his preaching chops, Jeremiah Wright earned his PhD and he knows his shit. And his shit is black liberation theology. The premise is simple: teach people to respect themselves and give them the tools for self-liberation. It is an empowering message, and it is no wonder that he has thousands of parishioners at church every Sunday. Not only that, but it's a threatening message to people whose power depends on a disempowered mass of people. Catholic Bishops in Central and South America that were sharing liberation theology with their parishioners were assassinated in the 80s.

As W*** said:
    it's a Black fucking church in a Black Community! Are ghettoized Blacks separatists, too? Jesus Christ, indeed!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Get your ass to church, soulstrut. Or at least put on The Gospel Soul of Aretha Franklin (Checker 1956). You won't regret it either way.

Say amen, somebody.
    JRoot

PS You guys who are freaked out by the Trinity United principles, you know that this website is mostly about black music, right?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Clip #3: Jeremiah Wright
    In September 1995, I saw Dr. Wright give a sermon at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta. In case any of you dipshits don't already know, Ebenezer is the church that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. grew up in, where his father was the pastor. Coretta Scott King (R.I.P.) was in attendance that day, too. He gave the most powerful, prophetic, political sermon I've ever heard with my own two ears and seen with my own two eyes. He brought the house down. And Ebenezer is not exactly a gimme crowd that'll stand up and shout for just any old preacher. They know how to tell the better from the best, and this was the best.

Beyond his preaching chops, Jeremiah Wright earned his PhD and he knows his shit. And his shit is black liberation theology. The premise is simple: teach people to respect themselves and give them the tools for self-liberation. It is an empowering message, and it is no wonder that he has thousands of parishioners at church every Sunday. Not only that, but it's a threatening message to people whose power depends on a disempowered mass of people. Catholic Bishops in Central and South America that were sharing liberation theology with their parishioners were assassinated in the 80s.

Thank God you still post here.

I only saw the video you mentioned above, but you broke it down so thorough and in so few words that I dare any DolosabaWHATEVER to challenge it.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    you know that this website is mostly about black music, right?

BAM!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

BAM!

negro spirituals?

BAM!

negro spirituals?

you and your boy rolo have been getting sonned in this thread for exactly 12 hours straight.

is that all you can come up with in response?

• I call the klan a left wing organisation, not because of byrd, but for the simple reason that distinction between men on racial ground is only possible within the framework of leftist philosophy.

The rights conception of humanity is founded upon natural rights as established by locke. It views men as individuals of inflexible rights. The lefts view of humanity however is based on a collectivist outlook, it views men not as individuals but as the mere material from which the collective is shaped. Although the modern left has in the main drawn back from the vulgarity of say eugenics this thinking, and the implications it can have for race, it still in evidence. Affirmative action is a perfect example. If you truely regard men as equals, as individuals of shared and incontrovertible rights, then this practice will come as an affront to you. However since this idea is foreign to leftist thought, men being but the mulch from which the greater society is fashioned, it is embraced and ludicrously touted as egalitarian.

Since racism requires the rejection of the rights core principle whilst remaining consistient with leftwing ideology it can only, when viewed in the narrow terms of the left-right spectrum, be left wing.

• Probably not coincidentally, these same people are often involved in a vigorous attempt to rewrite WWII history to make Hitler a leftist. Uh-huh.

The only argument you can make against hitler being a socialist was the amount of business that remained in private hands. A dubious one since the ownership was nominal and all production was monitored and ultimately controlled by the state.

I call the klan a left wing organisation, not because of byrd, but for the simple reason that distinction between men on racial ground is only possible within the framework of leftist philosophy.

[why am I doing this] WRONG, brah. you describe the Left-Right divide solely as it exists in your mindgarden and in the minds of Black Republicans, where right-wingers seek a color blind society of equal opportunity for all and the left wingers just wanna divide everyone up. I think you're more than a little disconnected from your local klan experience. go tell the grand dragon he's a member of a left-wing organisation. I'm sure he'd love to have this debate with you. [/why am I doing this]