NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Oh, and my Dirk Riders: I forgot to mention that attempts to brush away this humiliating loss, a la "It doesn't really matter," will be regarded as excuses.

Split the season series with one of the Suns wins having to go to 2OT

No excuses or ass hurting here.....I'll put my money where my mouth is come Playoff time.

Who did you say your team was again???

"My teams" are whatever organizations that the players I like the most are currently playing for. Suns, Lakers, Denver, Knicks.

• It doesn't really matter. Best record is practically a lock. Suns are fighting for seeding in their San Antone series.

Who here sees the Suns getting past the Spurs in round two? Because of the Mavs' ability to regularly dispatch teams they're supposed to beat, they only have to play one of those squads. Will the Suns now go into their regular post-Mavs-string-of-.500 ball?

Oh, and my Dirk Riders: I forgot to mention that attempts to brush away this humiliating loss, a la "It doesn't really matter," will be regarded as excuses.

That's fine. Where were you when your Suns were losing to the likes of the Kings? How did that rate on your scale of humiliation? Starting w/ the first loss to Phx, the Mavs are 9-2 and the Suns are 5-4. The net effect is the Mavs still picked up 2.5 games. The Suns may very well be too tough a matchup for the Mavs in a series, but will they position themselves to even get there? The number one goal of the regular season will be accomplished by the Mavs and to them it's all that matters. The regular season is about much more than big-time Sunday afternoon matchups. It's about having the focus to grind out win after win against teams that always get up to play you, at home or on the road.

You can poke fun all you want and cry humiliation and all that but what will it mean come May?

Ass-hurt recognize ass-hurt. You are ass-hurt.

That's lame and played and I imagine that would be yr response to anything I type. Yuichi. What above is incorrect or non-factual? You guys sure are intent on taking a team to task for their 12th loss in 73 games. Axes to grind? What point am I missing from today's loss?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

No excuses or ass hurting here.....I'll put my money where my mouth is come Playoff time.

"My teams" are whatever organizations that the players I like the most are currently playing for. Suns, Lakers, Denver, Knicks.

So you'll put your money where your mouth is if the Mavs meet any of those four in the Playoffs??

And Faux, you do realize that you are talking trash about a team that is 9-3 over your four faves this year.......

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    It doesn't really matter. Best record is practically a lock. Suns are fighting for seeding in their San Antone series.

Who here sees the Suns getting past the Spurs in round two? Because of the Mavs' ability to regularly dispatch teams they're supposed to beat, they only have to play one of those squads. Will the Suns now go into their regular post-Mavs-string-of-.500 ball?

That's fine. Where were you when your Suns were losing to the likes of the Kings? How did that rate on your scale of humiliation? Starting w/ the first loss to Phx, the Mavs are 9-2 and the Suns are 5-4. The net effect is the Mavs still picked up 2.5 games. The Suns may very well be too tough a matchup for the Mavs in a series, but will they position themselves to even get there? The number one goal of the regular season will be accomplished by the Mavs and to them it's all that matters. The regular season is about much more than big-time Sunday afternoon matchups. It's about having the focus to grind out win after win against teams that always get up to play you, at home or on the road.

You can poke fun all you want and cry humiliation and all that but what will it mean come May?

Ass-hurt recognize ass-hurt. You are ass-hurt.

That's lame and played and I imagine that would be yr response to anything I type. Yuichi. What above is incorrect or non-factual? You guys sure are intent on taking a team to task for their 12th loss in 73 games. Axes to grind? What point am I missing from today's loss?

The Mavs are BooTy aND SHouLD BoW dowN to RAjA BeLL. eNd of StoRy.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! warriors playoff hopes is still alive!!!!!!!

had to get out of bed hella early to hit up that noon time tip off but it was worth it! warriors winning without baron to beat the bottom dwelling grizzlies! only a game and half back of the clip show. sam cassell might be out for the season? say word!!!!

shiiiiit, hope is alive, who knows if the nuggets keep sliding we might be 7th seed who knows!

the oracle arean is rocking!!!

bierdrins w/ 18 board, monta being monta, jrich playing with hella confidence, pietrius with the blocks, stephen jackson not getting ejected, shit warriors basketball baby its a great time out!!!

go dubs!
    -rich

So you'll put your money where your mouth is if the Mavs meet any of those four in the Playoffs??

Those are the teams that I like; they are not necessarily the teams that I think will win a championship.

Is there something about that which you find difficult to understand?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! warriors playoff hopes is still alive!!!!!!!

had to get out of bed hella early to hit up that noon time tip off but it was worth it! warriors winning without baron to beat the bottom dwelling grizzlies! only a game and half back of the clip show. sam cassell might be out for the season? say word!!!!

shiiiiit, hope is alive, who knows if the nuggets keep sliding we might be 7th seed who knows!

the oracle arean is rocking!!!

bierdrins w/ 18 board, monta being monta, jrich playing with hella confidence, pietrius with the blocks, stephen jackson not getting ejected, shit warriors basketball baby its a great time out!!!

go dubs!
    -rich

The Clippers seem to be on a win streak and are just keeping ahead of us. Denver on the other hand is still struggling so we might actually have to beat them out of 8th place. I think the Clips and Nuggets are now tied in the standings.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This last month has been revealing.

Go Warriors!
    Go Denver, I expect A.I. to have 1 or 2 great playoff series. Dude owes the L a classic.
    Go Knicks for 8th Place just for team moral. No David Lee though.
    Dirk MVP
    Coach of The Year - A.Johnson or Sam Mitchell?
    Fire Rick Carlyle

I'm scurred of Houston Rockets & finally have come to terms w/ The Cleveland Cavs.

• Is there something about that which you find difficult to understand?

Quit being pissy dood. You bury your head in the sand waiting for the once every three weeks the Mavs lose and then you emerge. If you ain't gonna step up and say my team is gonnna do this then shut the fuck up already.

Quit being pissy dood. You bury your head in the sand waiting for the once every three weeks the Mavs lose and then you emerge. If you ain't gonna step up and say my team is gonnna do this then shut the fuck up already.

Alright.

You cant relish your victories w/out a good antagonist ,right?

I do smell fear in your voice GP.

Alright.

Recalibrate your sensors.

Mavs over Warriors 4-1
    Mavs over Rockets 4-1
    Mavs over Spurs 4-2
    Mavs over East 4-2

Check the loc. I watch this team night in and night out. I've seen what I need to see. Get ready.

Y'all are really just making it worse for y'all selves in 2 months. All shit-talkers have been marked and will be revisited.

Alright.

Recalibrate your sensors.

Mavs over Warriors 4-1
    Mavs over Rockets 4-1
    Mavs over Spurs 4-2
    Mavs over East 4-2

Check the loc. I watch this team night in and night out. I've seen what I need to see. Get ready.

Y'all are really just making it worse for y'all selves in 2 months. All shit-talkers have been marked and will be revisited.

Hulk-Mode? Sensitive? YuichiStyle-Idol Worship?

Youe roster wasnt at full strength?

• Hulk-Mode? Sensitive? YuichiStyle-Idol Worship?

I'm just gettin on record for what I think is gonna happen. I'll bear the brunt if it doesn't.

Mavs to sign 44 year old Kevin Willis today. For a team in need of a 3rd big, I like the signing. Our Zo?

Hulk-Mode? Sensitive? YuichiStyle-Idol Worship?

I'm just gettin on record for what I think is gonna happen. I'll bear the brunt if it doesn't.

Mavs to sign 44 year old Kevin Willis today. For a team in need of a 3rd big, I like the signing. Our Zo?

Crafty veteran who can teach some old skool Low Post Footwork to Diop & them.

Haha... wow.

Haha... wow.

Do you poke sticks between the bars at the zoo? Were you not anticipating/hoping for a GP freakout when you posted after the Suns game yesterday?

"Mess with the bull, get the Horns"

Just sayin....y'all were mad quiet when the Suns were playing .500 ball and the Mavs were rackin up Ws on the road.

Here's what a "paid no-nothing writer" had to say about the game and what it means:

Kelly Dwyer's (from CNNSi) take on the Mavs and Suns:

3. The Phoenix Suns and Dallas Mavericks (ranked first and second in offensive efficiency) are two nearly perfect offensive basketball teams.
    Even with both outfits playing good-to-nearly great defense at times, both teams combined for just 19 turnovers in 48 minutes of non-stop, end-to-end play. We liked the Don Nelson-esque wrinkle Suns coach Mike D'Antoni has been showcasing recently, and especially against Dallas today: attacking mismatches with isolation play instead of allowing Steve Nash (or a backup point guard) to dominate the ball every time down court. If any number of D'Antoni's talented big men find themselves checked by a smaller defender, D'Antoni needs to continue to spread the floor and attack the weakness. But don't make it too much of a staple, because that's why Nellie's Mavericks fell short in 2002-03 and 2003-04. That, and a defense that was nearly twice as bad as the Suns'.
    On the other end, it was nice to see Avery Johnson sit Dirk Nowitzki for most of the fourth quarter, especially after he tweaked his ankle early in the frame (Phoenix outscored Dallas 37 to 22 as things got out of hand). Nowitzki had no business playing against the Knicks on Friday night on that bum left ankle, and Johnson needs to stand up to his star, because the Mavs need him in top shape two months from now, and not in the season's last two weeks. We're pretty confident that Avery will have no problems getting his message across.

4. Any of the pundits who are ready to give the MVP award to Steve Nash, based on the sample size of two recent Phoenix wins over Dallas, are still not making any sense.
    As usual, they need to be reminded of how well he played down the stretch of the two Dallas wins against the Suns earlier this season, and pay more attention to the season that starts Oct. 31, and not an imaginary one that starts around the same time the SI Swimsuit Issue comes out. Base it on 82 games, I implore you, not two.
    5. Along the same line of thinking, anyone trying to predict the outcome of any series between Dallas and Phoenix, or either team against San Antonio, is wasting their time.
    Each of these teams would probably split a 10-game series against any one of the other ones, and no amount of Sunday afternoon or Thursday evening games in the regular season will teach us anything new at this point.
    Phoenix looked like world-beaters Sunday, especially with Nash's jumper falling and Amare Stoudemire's ability to score, Dirk-like, off the dribble from the elbow. But wait until they have to counter Dallas' Erick Dampier (out with a bum shoulder on Sunday) in the lane during a seven-game series, or deal with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and his playoff-shortened rotation (with Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili flirting with 42 minutes every night, instead of 32). Conversely, Dallas and San Antonio have no idea what to expect from Stoudemire -- the best player in the 2005 Playoffs -- who will be two years stronger and smarter come this postseason.

Haha... wow.

Do you poke sticks between the bars at the zoo? Were you not anticipating/hoping for a GP freakout when you posted after the Suns game yesterday?

Of course I was... but you exceeded all expectations. Almost took it to a Yuichi level.

Haha... wow.

Of course I was... but you exceeded all expectations. Almost took it to a Yuichi level.

You're awesome man. Thanks for the laugh.

I aim to please.

Those are the teams that I like; they are not necessarily the teams that I think will win a championship.

Where I come from when you talk shit you usually had to back it up.

Talking shit and not backing it up is what we used to refer to as a "blowhard".

I guess today it's just called a Hater.

Where I come from when you talk shit you usually had to back it up.

Talking shit and not backing it up is what we used to refer to as a "blowhard".

I guess today it's just called a Hater.

Just so I'm clear, am I understanding you correctly to be saying that the only defensible reason for liking another team more than the Mavs is a good faith belief that that team is more likely than the Mavs to get a chip?

And if this is so, how best to conduct oneself?

Through a constant shifting of loyalties towards whatever team currently appears most likely to win it all?

Or through an irrational belief that one's favorite team--however much evidence exists to the contrary--will ultimately triumph?

Sprinkle us with your game!

Just so I'm clear, am I understanding you correctly to be saying that the only defensible reason for liking another team more than the Mavs is a good faith belief that that team is more likely than the Mavs to get a chip?

And if this is so, how best to conduct oneself?

Through a constant shifting of loyalties towards whatever team currently appears most likely to win it all?

Or through an irrational belief that one's favorite team--however much evidence exists to the contrary--will ultimately triumph?

Sprinkle us with your game!

No it's more like this....

If your team(s) suck....don't trash another(better)team just for the hell of it.

It's called throwing stones from a glass penthouse.

Or maybe even, that almost extinct concept, of humility.

But you are a well known and proud Hater....hate on.

• Or through an irrational belief that one's favorite team--however much evidence exists to the contrary--will ultimately triumph?

Veiled shot....but the evidence laid down through the regular season to date gives the Mavs as good or better a chance than anyone to win it. And how do your Suns fit into that axiom?

May I remind you casual fans yet again...a Steve Nash-led team has never beat the Spurs in the playoffs. That's round 2 since the Suns are too busy focusing their efforts on humiliating the Mavs in April at the cost of winning percentage.

Look man, we all know you got a big ol' boner when the Mavs lost yesterday. That's awesome for you. That was your 12th boner in a long 200+ some-odd day stretch, so I shouldn't have been so mad at you for celebrating said boner.

• Batmon....get yr shine on dood. Pacers beat the Spurs last night!

Veiled shot....but the evidence laid down through the regular season to date gives the Mavs as good or better a chance than anyone to win it. And how do your Suns fit into that axiom?

You Dirk Riders are something else... I think you want to see veiled shots where there aren't any.

• Or through an irrational belief that one's favorite team--however much evidence exists to the contrary--will ultimately triumph?

You Dirk Riders are something else... I think you want to see veiled shots where there aren't any.

I have some linked articles from the News page, Life & Arts and the advice columns that seem to indicate a slight level of disrespect towards the Mavs, you want I should PM them to you?

May I remind you casual fans yet again...a Steve Nash-led team has never beat the Spurs in the playoffs. That's round 2 since the Suns are too busy focusing their efforts on humiliating the Mavs in April at the cost of winning percentage.

Look man, we all know you got a big ol' boner when the Mavs lost yesterday. That's awesome for you. That was your 12th boner in a long 200+ some-odd day stretch, so I shouldn't have been so mad at you for celebrating said boner.

I like both the Suns and Mavs. Thought I needed to get that out there before I comment on this.

I would say that the Suns have a very good chance to beat the Spurs, although I think I'm underestimating San Antonio this season because they've been on their own tear this season. Very under the radar as everyone is focusing upon PHX and DAL.

The main reason why I think that is because of Stoudamire. The Suns and Spurs can match up at every position except for that one. I think Stoudamire is too quick, in fact, way too quick for Duncan, and the Spurs don't have anyone else that size to compare with him. I think that will be the difference.

In comparison I think the Mavs and Suns match very well, which is why they've split the regular season. It's a toss up in my book between who would win that series over 7 games.

It's a toss up in my book between who would win that series over 7 games.

GP is about to accuse you of unbridled hate or some such foolishness.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

The main reason why I think that is because of Stoudamire. The Suns and Spurs can match up at every position except for that one. I think Stoudamire is too quick, in fact, way too quick for Duncan, and the Spurs don't have anyone else that size to compare with him. I think that will be the difference.

Yeah, but remember the last time the Spurs and Suns met in the playoffs: Stoudemire went off and put up crazy numbers while the Spurs just plain handled the Suns. Stoudemire is definitely too quick for Duncan, but that's not really the point--the Spurs beat the Suns by making Marion into a nonfactor and clamping down on everybody else as well. Stoudemire got his, and the Spurs got theirs.