NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    DAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMmm

Playoffs, may be a different matter, but DAMNNNNNNN.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Give Nash the MVP.

• Great game. Congrats Phoenix fan. One more to go, Mavs 2, Suns 1. Let's do this.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Don't Give Dirk the MVP.

• Don't Give Dirk the MVP.

Damn y'all are hateful. He did cost them that game. The body of work remains.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    good god!!!!!!!!!

this thread gained like 3 pages during the game alone! hahaha

btw, dampier had 11boards all on the offensive end? dang nice numbers but what was he doing on the other end?

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    Give Nash the MVP.

• good god!!!!!!!!!

this thread gained like 3 pages during the game alone! hahaha

btw, dampier had 11boards all on the offensive end? dang nice numbers but what was he doing on the other end?

Mostly watching the suns make shots or watching long rebounds go over his head.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Don't Give Dirk the MVP.

just sayin... those were defintily not MVP looks.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

WEAR IT WITH PRIDE FOR A WEEK

Check the PM for my addy.

(And yeah, I thought the Mavs were gonna win it at 10 up in the 4th, cot damn, what a game!!!)

• Don't Give Dirk the MVP.

just sayin... those were defintily not MVP looks.

No doubt. He'll bounce back. Bad week for sure. The Celts at home look like a cure for what ails him, leading up to ABC Sunday at the Pistons. I'd say that's a must-win game for the psyche and to hold the lessening edge for the #1 seed.

• I usually never see these games during the week since i don't gots cable.Luckily I got to watch this one at my mans house..illllyodic!..if dirk had made that ft at the end of regulation it would've been over..

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I usually never see these games during the week since i don't gots cable.Luckily I got to watch this one at my mans house..illllyodic!..if dirk had made that ft at the end of regulation it would've been over..

Yup! Despite the sloppy play on both sides (Suns with lackluster rebounding, Mavs with no answer to the Suns pick and roll at the beginning), the game was illyodic beyond belief.

Mavs would have won easily during the last quarter, had Dirk made his shots. His misses allowed the Suns to get extra chances at points, along with Nash working the voodoo magic and smartypants defense:

1. throwing it inbounds off Josh Howard and jumping out of the way (!!!) when he tried to grab the ball (thus it would be off Josh Howard and the Mavs, haha!)
    2. getting Josh Howard to foul him while in the act of shooting the 3 at the end
    2. 2nd chance 3 to take it to OT (!!!!!!!!)
    3. taking a flop to create an offensive foul on JET after scrapping and losing the ball to Dampier during OT

Marion and STAT stepped up bigtime at the end. Bell was a true annoyance for Dirk.

Mark Cuban pushed the camera out of the way at the end, summed it up.

what a truly mega game

got it on DV, tempted to watch it again soon

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    the replay just started on espn, i missed the first 3 quarters so i'm gonna catch them now.

• yeah Nash is a FREAK!The dude made every play he had to to win..drawing that foul on his tre,knockin down clutch FT's at the end of regulation,that second chance three,the charge he took at the end of the 2nd ot and of course knocking the ball off JT and gettin out the way..BANANAS! :

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Regular season dont mean nuffin. Classic game though. Can we get a MVP recount?

• Regular season dont mean nuffin. Classic game though. Can we get a MVP recount?

Dirk is gonna need to put in some performances to erase last night. It may be too late.

But yeah.....we're still 4 of our last 5 vs. Phoenix. 2 pt Double OT loss. It happens.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    It's too late, MVP's find ways to win big games. This years MVP did that last night.

• It's too late, MVP's find ways to win big games. This years MVP did that last night.

it may be too late

Are you Canadian?

• MVP's find ways to win big games.

True. He did that last time we beat the Suns hitting the GW jumper w/ no time left over Marion. How quickly we forget. It is an 82 game season.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    MVP's find ways to win big games.

True. He did that last time we beat the Suns hitting the GW jumper w/ no time left over Marion. How quickly we forget. It is an 82 game season.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's too late, MVP's find ways to win big games. This years MVP did that last night.

it may be too late

Are you Canadian?

Are you mad?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    MVP's find ways to win big games.

Are you Canadian?

Actually I'm from Brooklyn, I'm just salty over all these foreigners winning MVP awards!

• It's too late, MVP's find ways to win big games. This years MVP did that last night.

it may be too late

Are you Canadian?

Are you mad?

I do cherish your appearances in this thread anymore. It's like a special occassion.

I'll probably be mad for about twenty more minutes til the NC2A's start.

Nash is that dood. As a Mavs fan.....there is history.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    This game is off the proverbial chain!

Walton is so bad, he's funny.

"Diop has lost well over 100 lbs" the guy's just completely dellusional sometimes. Even the other announcers were laughing at his dumb ass all night because of some of the stupid shit he said.

Anyway, that was the best game I've seen all season. Both teams played well, Suns really got it poppin' in the 4th quarter. Nash proved why he is the reigning MVP. Not to say Dirk isn't still a candidate, but wow. You have to give Nash his props, the guy is amazing. One of the only things Walton said all night that I agreed with was that Nash is a very unique super star player. There's not another player like him in the league really. And STAT was just awesome. Dampier was no joke either with all those offensive boards. Such a good game, definitely got me hyped up again.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    This game is off the proverbial chain!

Walton is so bad, he's funny.

"Diop has lost well over 100 lbs" the guy's just completely dellusional sometimes. Even the other announcers were laughing at his dumb ass all night because of some of the stupid shit he said.

Anyway, that was the best game I've seen all season. Both teams played well, Suns really got it poppin' in the 4th quarter. Nash proved why he is the reigning MVP. Not to say Dirk isn't still a candidate, but wow. You have to give Nash his props, the guy is amazing. One of the only things Walton said all night that I agreed with was that Nash is a very unique super star player. There's not another player like him in the league really. And STAT was just awesome. Dampier was no joke either with all those offensive boards. Such a good game, definitely got me hyped up again.

It was awesome watching Dampier clean up garbage all night.

It seems like the Mavs are just bigger than Phoenix. Still, no answer for Amare.

The Mavs started looking very disorganized down the stretch, like they weren't even running plays. Dirk was clearly frustrated.

Some questionable offensive foul calls on both sides.

Nash stealing the ball right at the end:

• Diop really has dropped about 100 lbs between two years ago in Cleveland and now. Kid's only 23 or so. He'll make a career out of being a defensive/rebounding center.

• from dallasbasketball.com.........

MVP Race Is Over! (In A Month)

The concept slobbered forth by ESPN's Bill Walton as he intro'd the Suns-at-Mavs game to the national audience:

"The MVP race will most likely be decided tonight!''

Somebody get Walton a bib -- and some perspective.

Going into Wednesday's 129-127 double-OT loss to the Suns, Dirk had been pulling away from the competition -- the competition being Steve Nash. In Phoenix, Nash is surrounded by supposed superstars (I've seen both Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion touted as being worthy of MVP votes; Amare's 41 points on Wednesday makes one scoff a little less) while Nowitzki is supported by players usually downgraded as being "complementary.''

That's one way to break a Dirk-vs.-Nash voting tie; say Nash has better teammates. Of course, that seems subjective at the least, and maybe even arbitrary; out of nowhere on Wednesday comes Jerry Stackhouse with his 33 points, his biggest Mavs outburst in the biggest Mavs game of the year. So just how lacking in Dallas' "supporting cast,'' really?

Another way would be to reward the MVP candidate who leads his team to the best record in the league. As a tie-breaker, that makes sense. For that reason, Nash supports Dirk. (He also supports Dirk because he's an unselfish friend; Dirk likewise supports Nash, and I'm imagining that when they dined together in Uptown on Tuesday night, they fought to pik up the tab, maybe even fought to see which guy would get to hold the restaurant door open for the other, kind of like those overly polite chipmunks. ... squirrels? ... in the old Warner Bros. cartoons.)

A more immediate, fast-food-era solution: Head-to-head. Walton leans that way. So, even do some of the otherwise right-thinking folks at SLAM, where Dirk is today being dismissed as a choker -- and worse, as a Chris Webber clone.(Yeccch.)

First of all, to the numbers:

Nash's line: 32 points, eight rebounds, 16 assists. Crazy good.

Nowitzki's line: 30 points and 16 rebounds and six assists. Pretty much equally crazy good.

Nash, essentially, made one more shot than Dirk made. If Dirk hits a free throw at the end of regulation, Dallas wins. And then what? HE'S suddenly the MVP? Because he made a free throw?

Nah. Dirk's body of work will be 82 games long. You can't give an MVP based on one game, just because the two candidates went head-to-head! What if Nash plays poorly this weekend? Do we get to retract our pronouncements? On April 1, they play again. Should Dirk not show up because two-time MVP Nash is an "amazing, MVP-clinching'' 1-2 against him this year? If the Mavs win that game, you know, they will be 3-1 this year against Nash's Suns -- but Nash deserves the MVP because he played one point better than Dirk in THE ONE GAME OUT OF FOUR PHOENIX WON?

Think of it this way: If Dirk makes a free throw, do his critics suddenly shift gears and declare HIM the MVP because his team won?

I didn't think so.

(Geez. Why must I always be the one in charge of logic around here? Oh, along with ESPN's Marc Stein and his even-handed look at the game.)

"The MVP race will most likely be decided tonight!''?

Nope. Another month. A looong month. Including high-profile games against Detroit, San Antonio and yes, Phoenix. Another month. That'll make 82 games. Then comes a decision.

What did we really learn about the MVP race on Wednesday? That for the 1,940,321th consecutive time, Bill Walton is slobberingly and droolingly wrong.

Nothing's been decided. 'Cept for that.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    MVP canidates are allowed to slip, but need to recover.

It wasnt that he missed a free throw... he missed TWO BIG ONES, plus a picking up a tech, and playing pretty lackluster down the stretch.

I was in hyperbole mode last night, and these faults do not negate his performance this season. but all an all, MVPs dont f*k up like in a huge season game like last night.

• MVP canidates are allowed to slip, but need to recover.

It wasnt that he missed a free throw... he missed TWO BIG ONES, plus a picking up a tech, and playing pretty lackluster down the stretch.

I was in hyperbole mode last night, and these faults do not negate his performance this season. but all an all, MVPs dont f*k up like in a huge season game like last night.

I can't disagree. It was a huge game. But if Dirk makes one more FT than he missed in regulation and the Mavs win that makes him the MVP?

It's silly. If Nash is the MVP he's the MVP but last night shouldn't be the deciding factor.