Drums that need to be retired

12346»

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Sure are, what about:

Drums: Grrrrrr, kak-kak-kak-kak, kak-kak-kak-kak

All together now:

Drums: Boom, kak, boom kak, boom-boom-kak, boom-boom-boom-kak, grrrr, boom kak, boom kak, kak-kak kak-kak kak-kak kak kak-kak-kak-kak-kak-kak...

Vocal 1: Say bruh,
    Vocal 2: What's happenin' bruh?
    vocal 1: Got that good cheeba cheeba
    Vocal 2: Right on, right on...
    Vocal 1: You down?
    Vocal 2: Yeaaaaaaaah...

This is fun. Sorry!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hahaha! Man that record has sat in my crates for years and I have never used that break...

"...and it's toooo late baby now it's tooo late
    though we never did...try to make it
    too many people used those drums
    and it's hard for me to fake it..."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Hey Enki,

I feel you man. I still play "Synthetic Substitution" because I like the song overall. "The suuuuuuuun, used to shine on my street on my street. The moon was visible at aaaaaaaaaaaaaall tiiiiiiiiiiimes, yeeeeeah, yeeah, yeeeeeah. Lightbulbs substituting my moooooooooonliiiiiiight. Rays of the sun replaced by maaaaaaaaaan. You're the only thing that reeeeeeeeeeal, in my liiiiiiiiife"

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Those vocals are bizarre!

Those vocals were ahead of his time.

Just amazing vocals--both lyrics and delivery.

Reading over this thread, I realize I haven't used very many of the super-obvious joints originally listed here. I've used "Synthetic Substitution," and I've used a hi-hat from the Skull Snaps, but I've never used "Impeach" or "Ashley's Roach Clip."

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I hear you, Day. I used them back in the late 80's, maybe the early 90's. I used the drums looped up with a slowed down sample of "Be My Friend" by Ripple. That's the one time I used that break.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Does anyone know the story with Melvin Bliss or "Substitution"?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    was the Sunburst (or whatever) 45 the only thing bliss put out? where dante at?

• breaks are cool. i'm not even a 'producer'

No mention of these yet:

that blackbyrds one, from Flying Start

• breaks

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Breaks used on everything in 94 and were abandoned since:
    Johnny Jenkins - Walk on Gilded Splinters

Hahahaha! One of my boys has just used that on a new track of his. He flipped it nice, though.

Breaks that every true digga digga has, yet never makes a sound:
    2nd Chapter of Acts
    John Travolta
    Mickey Mouse
    Bill Cosby
    Liberace

2nd Chapter of Acts is a nice break, and easy to find too.

A :5pager: on braeks, people. Soul Strut history being made right here.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Has that Giant break ever actually been used?

The 45 King f/ Kid Capri - Put the Funk Out There

• was the Sunburst (or whatever) 45 the only thing bliss put out? where dante at?

From my book:

A native of Chicago, Melvin McClellan began his professional career in the jazz field. He recorded a jazz-styled set for Gold Records before encountering producer Herb Rooney, lead singer of the Exciters. ???Synthetic Substitution??? is a classic of the genre, with its deeply funky backing and arrangement, the Lou Rawls-type delivery from Bliss, and the famous breakbeat intro. The lyrics, about the mechanization of modern life, are bizarre and compelling. The scarce Sunburst release from 1973 seems to mark McClellan???s last vinyl venture.

I think Monk One found the dude.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    was the Sunburst (or whatever) 45 the only thing bliss put out? where dante at?

From my book:

A native of Chicago, Melvin McClellan began his professional career in the jazz field. He recorded a jazz-styled set for Gold Records before encountering producer Herb Rooney, lead singer of the Exciters. ???Synthetic Substitution??? is a classic of the genre, with its deeply funky backing and arrangement, the Lou Rawls-type delivery from Bliss, and the famous breakbeat intro. The lyrics, about the mechanization of modern life, are bizarre and compelling. The scarce Sunburst release from 1973 seems to mark McClellan???s last vinyl venture.

I think Monk One found the dude.

Thank you for that. Can't wait to read the whole thing.

HOW COULD WE FORGET?

____o!o____

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

From my book

You don't have a book dude. I just used take off your makeup too.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    The drum program on "Back to Life" by Soul II Soul is what I'm talking about.
    That same sequence was used on Ako's mom's Pure Moods CD and a million other lite samplers and commercials.
    I think there were tracks on both Jazz Wolf and Jazz Marsh that used it as well.

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant, but I always thought that was just those two breaks blended together and thickened up with some 808 or 909 drums. The bells on that SIIS break are definitely from the Harvey Scales break.

Regardless of source, the "break" took on a life of its own and completely revolutionized the lite jazz market of the early '90s.
    Kinda similar to the Public Enemy drums that Madonna used on "Justify My Love," cause I heard those things all over LITE-FM in the early '90s.

Just last year, I heard breaks being used in waiting-room jazz. It kind of weirded me out.

I heard "Sneakin' in the Back" under some schmoove jazz tonight during dinner. SHIT HAS COME FULL CIRCLE. Tom Scott over Tom Scott

There are some fucking jokes in this thread.

• Im so glad you bumped this. I was looking for it awhile back...I cant remember why, but Im happy either way.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Can I just say "She's about a mover" is impossible to tire of. "Haaaaaaaaaaaaouuhhh! Sounding good Billy Yeah! *saxophone* Haha! Yeah!" etc...

Odettas "Hit or miss" on the other hand, I don't really need to hear looped again. Ever.

Also, people really should use Cox Orange more.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Kanye is single handledly making the Long Red drums BORING.

- spidey

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

- spidey

"Doggone" got buttfucked to death too.

• Options

- spidey

Don't know if you've heard Donuts yet, but Dilla breathes new life into them on there.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Don't know if you've heard Donuts yet, but Dilla breathes new life into them on there.

Indeed, but before that he also flipped them to great effect on the De La Soul "Verbal Clap" beat. That was a facemelter to me. He made Long Red sound so massive right there.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

- spidey

"Doggone" got buttfucked to death too.

Same with the CTIraer Joe Farrel "Upon This Rock"....

• Long Red is shite as breaks go

• I heard a 'lite radio' song in the hallway at work the other day that looped the drums to "Bouncy Lady" by Pleasure. (All I recall about the lite lyric was "I surrender" over and over)

OFFICIAL "MOM BREAK"

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Jesus. Go back and re-read this. Threads like this don't exist anymore (TERRY CLUBUP I SEE YOUSE) - and it's not even a year old.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Alright fuck this, let's keep it movin'

THE THREAD THAT WOULD NOT DIE

I remember looking for this years ago and asking my secret Carnahan Santa to grant me just one wish. What a magnificent Christmas that was...

SIRE DOUBLES

(RIP to a Soulstrut legend)

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    If you listen really closely to the drums in the Dawson's Creek theme ("I don't wanna wait..."), those things are pretty hard.
    I heard it in the car one time and was struck by the roominess of those mugs.
    I am not kidding.

OUTSIDER FOLK W/SICK PIANO STABS MONSTER DRUMBRAKZ FOR DAYZ

- spidey

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    i like it when a shampoo or fast food commercial takes a bangin break and sucks all the bangin out of it so it sits subtly in the background of the jingle.

impeach has never felt so soft

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i like it when a shampoo or fast food commercial takes a bangin break and sucks all the bangin out of it so it sits subtly in the background of the jingle.

impeach has never felt so soft

on the other hand, does anybody remember when starburst commercials had the wiseguys' "ooh la la" on them, but the song sounded like the drums were BOOSTED about 5348989% more than in the original even? hotttt shit.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    i just got the melvin bliss 45. im gonna quit using any other breaks from now on

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts