Drums that need to be retired

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    butt in the meantime...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    "pyhth"

shhhhhhhhhhh

haha you just drove the prices up on bobby sherman

i ain't got the liberace can i be down still??

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Theme From the Planets

I have to disagree. That one is

toasty

You can spot that one from a mile away. There's enough different hits and rolls to flip it tho. Maybe.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Which Bobby Sherman? I have piles of Bobby Shermans
    in some junk boxes from a collection buy...

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    The red one.

Day: Theme From the Planets is totally spottable yes, but it's power is undeniable.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I forget the name, but it's the one with his dreamy little face in the window on the front sleeve on Metronome.

*edit* here it is

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

I always liked this break.

PS - I own a bobby sherman lunchbox (self sonned related)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I forget the name, but it's the one with his dreamy little face in the window on the front sleeve on Metronome.

Oh - I meant 45's ... I wonder if the track is on 45 - next time
    I troll through those boxes I'll have to play the Shermans ... which,
    funny enough, were probably the ONLY 45's I didn't give a chance to
    in that entire 100,000 piece collection

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Day: just to ask but what recent songs have used the aforementioned "never again plaese" breaks? I'm just wondering if you're responding to something specifically or making a general plea.

And I cosine that this thread is awesome.

DCastillo's list-making skillz =

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Ocean and Black Oak Arkansas never waver.

• well well well. . .i'm just glad a breaks thread can command 9 pages even if it is hatt. peace, stein. . .

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Step in the Marina

So what's the verdict on "Do It 'Til You're Satisfied?" The jungle groove version of "Give It Up Turnit A Loose?" "You'll Like It Too?"

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    what were the "Take it Personal" drums? synthetic?

Step in the Marina

So what's the verdict on "Do It 'Til You're Satisfied?" The jungle groove version of "Give It Up Turnit A Loose?" "You'll Like It Too?"

They will never die.

Do it Til You're Satisfied = instant stepper classic. Same with the Isley Brothers Drums.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Skull Snaps as far as I know. Crazy shit. That's what I'm talking about tho - Primo FLIPPED those! It's all in how you do it, but straight loops are NAGL when it comes to the classics. You are contributing to Mom Breaks and I cannot let that happen.

btw, I didn't mean to blow up dudes spot in the clip or dis him, cause that's not what I was trying to do, but that was the file I heard on Labcabin last night that set it off.

Delay clean out your PMs!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ...and just to be fair, I used "Bootleggin'" on the last record and that one probably qualifies in this here thread.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    pms clurred

Yep as far as I know. Crazy shit. That's what I'm talking about tho - Primo FLIPPED those! It's all in how you do it, but straight loops are NAGL when it comes to the classics. You are contributing to Mom Breaks and I cannot let that happen.

Isn't "Take It Personal" the Skull Snaps?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Yep as far as I know. Crazy shit. That's what I'm talking about tho - Primo FLIPPED those! It's all in how you do it, but straight loops are NAGL when it comes to the classics. You are contributing to Mom Breaks and I cannot let that happen.

Isn't "Take It Personal" the Skull Snaps?

haha I just went back and edited my post after listening to it and then saw this.

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    true.

Has that Giant break ever actually been used?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

No mention of these yet:

-"Put Your Love (in My Tender Care)"-The Fatback Band.
    -"Tuck's Theme"-Bill Deal & the Rhondels.
    -"Get Out My Life Woman"-Solomon Burke (and especially Lee Dorsey's).
    -"I'm Chief Kawannalea"-The Turtles.
    -"Dizzy"-Tommy Roe.
    -"Save the World"-Southside Movement.
    -"The Soil I Tilled for You"-S.O.B.
    -"Funky Song"-Ripple.
    -"Smokin' Cheeba Cheeba"-The Harlem Underground Band.
    -"Wah Wah Man"-Young-Holt Unlimited.
    -"Lifetime (Monologue)"-Lou Rawls.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    oh yeah those harlem underground breaks are played out... which is a damn shame.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Has that Giant break ever actually been used?

surriously. what's the hell?

-"I'm Chief Kawannalea"-The Turtles.

I don't care if people think it's a slutbraek, a mom braek whatever...this break--fuck, this whole song--will always be a favorite of mine. I will never get tired of it.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Enki,

I feel you man. I still play "Synthetic Substitution" because I like the song overall. "The suuuuuuuun, used to shine on my street on my street. The moon was visible at aaaaaaaaaaaaaall tiiiiiiiiiiimes, yeeeeeah, yeeah, yeeeeeah. Lightbulbs substituting my moooooooooonliiiiiiight. Rays of the sun replaced by maaaaaaaaaan. You're the only thing that's reeeeeeeeeeal, in my liiiiiiiiife"

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Hey Enki,

I feel you man. I still play "Synthetic Substitution" because I like the song overall. "The suuuuuuuun, used to shine on my street on my street. The moon was visible at aaaaaaaaaaaaaall tiiiiiiiiiiimes, yeeeeeah, yeeah, yeeeeeah. Lightbulbs substituting my moooooooooonliiiiiiight. Rays of the sun replaced by maaaaaaaaaan. You're the only thing that reeeeeeeeeeal, in my liiiiiiiiife"

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Those vocals are bizarre!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Hey Enki,

I feel you man. I still play "Synthetic Substitution" because I like the song overall. "The suuuuuuuun, used to shine on my street on my street. The moon was visible at aaaaaaaaaaaaaall tiiiiiiiiiiimes, yeeeeeah, yeeah, yeeeeeah. Lightbulbs substituting my moooooooooonliiiiiiight. Rays of the sun replaced by maaaaaaaaaan. You're the only thing that reeeeeeeeeeal, in my liiiiiiiiife"

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Those vocals are bizarre!

Those vocals were ahead of his time. What year was that song made? I think it sounds older than it is.

I remember riding the bus playing that song on repeat in my headphones.

"copy the wings of a bird....they just haaaaad to flyyyy"

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    was the Sunburst (or whatever) 45 the only thing bliss put out? where dante at?

Sure are, what about:

Drums: Grrrrrr, kak-kak-kak-kak, kak-kak-kak-kak

All together now:

Drums: Boom, kak, boom kak, boom-boom-kak, boom-boom-boom-kak, grrrr, boom kak, boom kak, kak-kak kak-kak kak-kak kak kak-kak-kak-kak-kak-kak...

Vocal 1: Say bruh,
    Vocal 2: What's happenin' bruh?
    vocal 1: Got that good cheeba cheeba
    Vocal 2: Right on, right on...
    Vocal 1: You down?
    Vocal 2: Yeaaaaaaaah...

This is fun. Sorry!!!! Yo, kick the vocals on your favorite break tracks. Who is compulsive like me and listens to those shits?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak