Drums that need to be retired

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Hearing beats in 2007 with "Impeach the President" looped makes my eyes roll back in my head like a gottdamn zombie.I think we can add "Skull Snaps" and "Synthetic Substitution" to the list too. Sorry to say. They're great, classic breaks, but I don't ever want to hear them straight looped again.

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I don't ever want to hear anything[/b] straight looped again.

• yall need to both sit in real headz timeout corner

• day, those 3 breaks NEVER get old in my book

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    yall need to both sit in real headz timeout corner

Hahaha yo I'm not gonna lie, I've been listening to sound clips of new records for 2 hours and I'm tired as hell so I'm talking shit. But come on man, there's millions of drums out there to use or GET CREATIVE AND CHOP THOSE SHITS UP! That's all I'm saying.

Now I'll go sit

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    day, those 3 breaks NEVER get old in my book

I could hear them by themselves ALL DAY. It's in production that I'm talking about.

• kinda depends on what you layer over it musically (or multiple drums). if its just open and straight looped... the rhymes better be nice!

• maaaaan, if im checking out some unknown hiphop record from the early 90s and i hear that skullsnaps pattern....straight to checkout,its coming home wit me. it could have my mom rhyming on it. doesn tmatter

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    maaaaan, if im checking out some unknown hiphop record from the early 90s and i hear that skullsnaps pattern....straight to checkout,its coming home wit me. it could have my mom rhyming on it. doesn tmatter

2007[/b] my dude. That's all. Of course I never get sick of hearing them in old or classic records. It's dudes getting over on some lazy shit nowadays that bugs me.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah,
    we all know those drums are dope... but there's only so many times you can hear them before you're gonna get sick of them.

The point is, in 2007 - chop it up creatively, or dig a little deeper. Preferably both!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yeah,
    we all know those drums are dope... but there's only so many times you can hear them before you're gonna get sick of them.

The point is, in 2007 - chop it up creatively, or dig a little deeper. Preferably both!

That's all I'm tryin to say.

I didn't know this was gonna set off a movement.

• Played out breaks?

But seriously, there's nothing wrong with using a well-worn loop -- it's all about how you flip it (case in point - J-Dilla's chop of Shack Up on the Ruff Draft EP)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    all three of the source songs from that list are GREAT! (some would care to argue about Melvin Bliss)

ps. tony's right tho... Do the James!!!

• Hearing beats in 2007 with "Impeach the President" looped makes my eyes roll back in my head like a gottdamn zombie.

I think we can add "Skull Snaps" and "Synthetic Substitution" to the list too.

Sorry to say. They're great, classic breaks, but I don't ever want to hear them straight looped again.

gaz/sing sing mixed with lyn collins/ think.

which leads me to think, b-more.............creative.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    all three of the source songs from that list are GREAT! (some would care to argue about Melvin Bliss)

Actually, I'd say Melvin Bliss is my favorite. The lyrics in that song are for real.

Ok, it's official - I've had my RILL SCHITT pass revoked. I will now sit in time out with Faux Rillz and listen to Funky Drummer on repeat.

• all three of the source songs from that list are GREAT! (some would care to argue about Melvin Bliss)

ps. Do the James!!!

fine breaks no doubt, strange how well suited the honeydrippers are to today's political climate, goes over well with many a crowd

ps- nobody is tired of funky drummer, or apache ?

ps. Do the James!!!

fine breaks no doubt, strange how well suited the honeydrippers are to today's political climate, goes over well with many a crowd

Yeah but we were tired of those years ago. These three have only JUST become tiring.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Hearing beats in 2007 with "Impeach the President" looped makes my eyes roll back in my head like a gottdamn zombie.

Sorry to say. They're great, classic breaks, but I don't ever want to hear them straight looped again.

ZING!

Alright, fuck this. I'm making a drink.

• apache was one that sprung to mind here ...

as a second thought I was reminded of the debate about played out cuts ala 93 till infinity, but lets not go there :5pager:

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Hearing beats in 2007 with "Impeach the President" looped makes my eyes roll back in my head like a gottdamn zombie.

ZING!

Alright, fuck this. I'm making a drink.

tip your waitress.

• all three of the source songs from that list are GREAT! (some would care to argue about Melvin Bliss)

ps. Do the James!!!

Yeah but we were tired of those years ago. These three have only JUST become tiring.

myyyyyyyyy bad.

what breaks do y'all never get tired of?

how many mo fuckas have a stuey avatar?

day, what're you fixin to drink?

ps- I found an ultimate warrior windbreaker in one of my local record haunts this week.

apache was one that sprung to mind here ...

as a second thought I was reminded of the debate about played out cuts ala 93 till infinity, but lets not go there :5pager:

I have been really over my mid 90s hip-hop collection for a while now.

• Hearing beats in 2007 with "Impeach the President" looped makes my eyes roll back in my head like a gottdamn zombie.

Has "Amen Brother" sped up and chopped been considered tiring yet? When that day happens I'm having a party to celebrate.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

ps. Do the James!!!

myyyyyyyyy bad.

what breaks do y'all never get tired of?

how many mo fuckas have a stuey avatar?

day, what're you fixin to drink?

ps- I found an ultimate warrior windbreaker in one of my local record haunts this week.

My tried and true: MOJITOS!

yeah right

Nectar of the GAWDS, SON

You should rock that Ultimate Warrior jacket. You will get beatnik jive turkey P for real.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    You should rock that Ultimate Warrior jacket. You will get beatnik jive turkey P for real.

The truth has never been spoken more gracefully.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

The truth has never been spoken more gracefully.

Delay what's good I think it's time to holler at the late nighters.

PM on the way

• there's a time and place for EVERYTHING. peace, stein. . .

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Day,

I mean you could dig deeper. And Im pretty sure most of us here definitely have. But in all that digging, can you tell me that you've found any breaks that sound better than the ones you mentioned?

• yo b-sides. i know the question was not direted to me but i now have somewhere in the area of 3000+ drum breaks(i honestly think i have one of the best collections on earth) and i can tell you straight up NO i've never found anything quite as good as SUBSTITUTION, HIHACHE, IMPEACH, SKULLSNAPS etc. etc. this is exactly why i think people rarely use drum loops anymore. peace, stein. . .

• 3000+ drum breaks(i honestly think i have one of the best collections on earth).

post them all or your soft!

• 3000+ drum breaks(i honestly think i have one of the best collections on earth).

post them all or your soft!

hahaha. in due time. . . .peace, stein. . .