Drums that need to be retired

Comments

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I still don't even know how drum breaks work.

• I still don't even know how drum breaks work.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    AN ULTIMATE WARRIOR WINDBREAKER!!!!

fuck. can we get photos?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    yo b-sides. i know the question was not direted to me but i now have somewhere in the area of 3000+ drum breaks(i honestly think i have one of the best collections on earth) and i can tell you straight up NO i've never found anything quite as good as SUBSTITUTION, HIHACHE, IMPEACH, SKULLSNAPS etc. etc. this is exactly why i think people rarely use drum loops anymore. peace, stein. . .

If I use loops nowadays, they tend to be ones with a certain kind of sound or feel - noisy, rattling, bell-heavy shit like Dynamic Corvettes, or rocky-sounding shit like Black Heat. Even then, I'll cut 'em up a little sometimes.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Has "Amen Brother" sped up and chopped been considered tiring yet? When that day happens I'm having a party to celebrate.

NEVER THAT!

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Ha ha this thread is
    I never want hear anyone use the big beat again.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I will have another release in april, a remix of an old track from 1990...and guess what? We used the looped Substitution break...and cosign, I dug deeper, but we went for it. Since the original track is from 1990, I kind of thought it fit...and it works...but I agree, those breaks are played out...but soo good still...I am with Day but with Einstein too...

• Ha ha this thread is
    I never want hear anyone use the big beat again.

oh no you didnt

• My tried and true: MOJITOS!

i would drink a pre work mojito if i had one in front of me right now

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Day,

I mean you could dig deeper... in all that digging, can you tell me that you've found any breaks that sound better than the ones you mentioned[/b] ?

Com'on. Of course theres plenty of breaks sounding better[/b] than the ones mentioned.

Now, here, you're talking about the biggest problem (in my opinion) with you all DJs, collectroz and beat makroz...
    I mean this is not because a break beat is (known and) used by every f**king asshole, DJ or producer that this break is dope.

I'm with Day, on his first feeling ^^^
    (stop drinking, mayne!)

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Sure, there are some slutty breaks out there, but damn they sound good. Hell, I just used "Soul, Soul, Soul" by the Wild Magnolias for a joint on the CD. Up on my Soundclick site, the drums for that joint "Street Theme" combines "Midnight Theme" with some break by Robin Kenyatta (the title of which escapes me right now). Funky is funky, just freak it differently.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    "Midnight Theme"

that one is really rad too. I like all the air in it.

I asked one of the members of Skullsnaps about the recording of "It's a New Day" and apparently the drums had to be rerecorded because of an accident during the mixdown. We were at APT and I was like, "Did you ever think you'd be hearing your song played in an NYC club in 2006?" his response: "HELL NAH!"

• well, what about the last time they were used well, and you thought it was good?

I liked how cheapshot used impeach on their recent Styles of Beyond album---I thought it was pure fire.

And, I've never heard Synthetic Substitution sound better than on Ego Trippin, coincidentally, the first time it was looped.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Hey,

Sure, there are some slutty breaks out there, but damn they sound good. Hell, I just used "Soul, Soul, Soul" by the Wild Magnolias for a joint on the CD. Up on my Soundclick site, the drums for that joint "Street Theme" combines "Midnight Theme" with some break by Robin Kenyatta (the title of which escapes me right now). Funky is funky, just freak it differently.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Kenyatta = "You"? off that terd with him in front of da big city?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    "Midnight Theme"

that one is really rad too. I like all the air in it.

I asked one of the members of Skullsnaps about the recording of "It's a New Day" and apparently the drums had to be rerecorded because of an accident during the mixdown. We were at APT and I was like, "Did you ever think you'd be hearing your song played in an NYC club in 2006?" his response: "HELL NAH!"

They are playing some beats or something opening for Slick Rick at the Knit on Friday.... but apparently George is not well enough to be on drums. He was pretty unwell last time they played there.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    this is exactly why i think people rarely use drum loops anymore.

Yeah, and that kinda bugs me. I like drum loops and often prefer them to this super-choppy shit that has taken over. Viva drum loops!

As far as looping up slutbraekz goes...I'm neither pro nor con...it depends on the song. Sometimes the classic loop just works perfectly with the other elements in the song, in which case, I say rock it.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    As far as looping up slutbraekz goes...I'm neither pro nor con...it depends on the song. Sometimes the classic loop just works perfectly with the other elements in the song, in which case, I say rock it.

Yeah, it depends heavily on the context and how it was flipped. If it works, it works. Recent example of redundant flippage of Synthetic Slutstitution: that Just Blaze jawn on "Fishscale".

• Day,

I mean you could dig deeper... in all that digging, can you tell me that you've found any breaks that sound better than the ones you mentioned[/b] ?

Com'on. Of course theres plenty of breaks sounding better[/b] than the ones mentioned.

Now, here, you're talking about the biggest problem (in my opinion) with you all DJs, collectroz and beat makroz...
    I mean this is not because a break beat is (known and) used by every f**king asshole, DJ or producer that this break is dope.

I'm with Day, on his first feeling ^^^
    (stop drinking, mayne!)

alright, list some of these better sounding breaks, pull the rug.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

:5pager:

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    i got this one hot record called 'Strictly Drums' - Volume 1... it is so crazy, it's like the band just recorded themselves playing drums and drums only on every track and there's like 30 tracks.

And it even says:

"There are no phoney ass played out drum loops on this record. This shit is the real deal."

Cha CHING, SOLD. Those dudes in 1999 were ahead of their time.

• outside of the usual top 5 breaks,the only break that i have heard recently that made me really say damn..
    is the popcorn euro lp on the egg label. sadly i will not pay $400 euros for a drum break.
    shit is the real deal tho.

the forest terry break is pretty ill too.

• alright, list some of these better sounding breaks, pull the rug.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Kenyatta = "You"? off that terd with him in front of da big city?

Yep!!! That album sucked ass. But as my former location said, "I turn trash into classics."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• slushslush 691 Posts
    what about people continuing to jack the top billin drums? im getting pretty tired of that.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Sorry for the baller graemlin but I was sure that someone will ask me to give some names.
    Dunno, man, no need to dig like Sherlock Holmes or Columbo to find some dope break beats.

• what about people continuing to jack the top billin drums? im getting pretty tired of that.

what about people not knowing what the top billin drums are ?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    All drums in music should be retired in favor of samples of large groups of people stomping on bleacher seats...on some we (and when we say we, we mean especially Timbo) will rock you steez.

Nelly Furtado 4 Life!!!

• alright, list some of these better sounding breaks, pull the rug.

Sorry for the baller graemlin but I was sure that someone will ask me to give some names.
    Dunno, man, no need to dig like Sherlock Holmes or Columbo to find some dope break beats.

There's not? egg on my face like inspecther gadget