Drums that need to be retired

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I dunno that "Doggone" has reached that stage quite yet, though. I still like hearing that one. I must admit to having a "WTF?" moment when I heard "Synthetic Substitution" on a Hanson record, however.

i agree with doggone, i dont think i can get sick of it.

didnt the dust brothers have something to do with that hanson record, or am i way off? i think Cake sampled that break too. that was odd

Yeah, it was "Mmm-bop".

I don't know how it went down in the US, but back in the mid-90's in the UK there was a company called Zero-G that put out a series of sample CDs which were basically all the entry-level classic breaks (most likely cannibalised from the UB&B records). They must have sold a fair few thousand of these before they started to get nervous about the legalities of it, and switched up their game to studio-generated shit. Things like those CDs probably had a lot to do with how come so many of those breaks and loops entered the mainstream of studio production, as Dante suggests, without the users having much familiarity with their original musical context.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Don't see myself getting tired of "I'm Glad You're Mine" either.

• "Mmm-bop"

I was at a post-production studio recently that had a really long collection of contemporary library CDs.
    Just like the LPs of old, they had names like "Hip Hop Flash," "Urban Moods," and, I shit you not, "Rap Drums."
    The "Rap Drums" had a bunch of classic 101 breaks looped, with several tracks adding effects to them for a more specific use.
    Tesh and Yanni needs their shit STAT, fuck a dollar bin.
    I predict these CDs will become extremely sought-after in twenty years.

If you listen really closely to the drums in the Dawson's Creek theme ("I don't wanna wait..."), those things are pretty hard.
    I heard it in the car one time when my CD was on repeat[/b] and was struck by the roominess of those mugs.
    I am not kidding.

• Don't see myself getting tired of "I'm Glad You're Mine" either.

love 'em, but got reeeeal tired of the trashmasters and r kelly bastardizing them shits.

how bout isleys, footsteps ? ggod thread, keep em coming.

"Rap Drums."

• If you listen really closely to the drums in the Dawson's Creek theme ("I don't wanna wait..."), those things are pretty hard.
    I heard it in the car one time when my CD was on repeat[/b] and was struck by the roominess of those mugs.
    I am not kidding.

You diss Paula Cole, you diss yourself.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I always had a thing for the Long Red drums. If I could hear that beat played out for two hours, I'd be happy.

Definitley. That song Jay Dee used them for on Donuts makes me turn that shit up to ahundredeleven %. indeed.

I think Kanye raping Doggone was a death knell for using that break. I still love it though.
    Ultimately I agree, it's how you hook it up, but some of these have definitley crossed over into Boney M territory.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    reminds me of amen brother plague...thank god that genre ate itself.

I guess you are talking about drum & bass?

There was a overload of amen tunes and nobody has to like this music,

BUT I can??t think of any genre with such a variety and creativity regarding the use of breaks. Especially Hip-Hop doesn??t even come close.

Btw, it??s still alive

If you listen really closely to the drums in the Dawson's Creek theme ("I don't wanna wait..."), those things are pretty hard.
    I am not kidding.

You diss Paula Cole, you diss yourself.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I am not kidding.

Those are some nice drums, though. My girl has got that "Dawson's Creek" CD. I'm a little surprised to learn that the man who unleashed "Chains and Black Exhaust" upon the world is bumping some Paula Cole in his ride. On repeat.

I dunno how many of you were on the old Crates list back in the day (I see a few of you), but I think I remember there being some discussion about a Tribe record using those same drums.

• Speaking of breaks, I recall walking into A-1 in the mid-90s and getting $100 for my copy of Shanghai on UK Warner Brothers.
    Those were the days! $100 for five seconds of drums!

I am not kidding.

Those are some nice drums, though. My girl has got that "Dawson's Creek" CD. I'm a little surprised to learn that the man who unleashed "Chains and Black Exhaust" upon the world is bumping some Paula Cole in his ride. On repeat.

The concept for Chains & Black Exhaust was inspired by a dream about Paula Cole.

• "Take Off Your Makeup" was always a wimpy break to me.

• I've always wondered why more people don't use that MONTROSE brake.
    Or did Tone Loc piss enough blood over it to where he owns it ad infinitum.

"I'm like steel, hard than a motherfucker"

• reminds me of amen brother plague...thank god that genre ate itself.

BUT I can??t think of any genre besides dnb that has such a lack of variety and overkill regarding the use of the amen brotherbreak.

seriously, hip hop is theee genre that has made the most use of different drums drums/chopping/looping.for the record you heard it here first.
    for all the hip hop records that have been made, clearly hip hop has used many more different drums than other genres.all other genres follow, take note of hanson/ dawsons creek.
    dnb kept using the same one overandoverandoverandover....just like bmore.

ice cube death certificate, how many different ways can you chop gap band/ outstanding, and atomic dog?

• Mom Breaks For Days:

• Mom Breaks

haha

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Mom Breaks

we have a new entry into the lexicon.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i only read 3 pages of this one

yes

yes

yes

and once again no to the funk snob mobb shallow

but,,,what about all of the youngins in the hooody hood hood that have no idea what a melvin bliss is or how "wimpy/lightweight" the Great LAMONT DOZIER's "take off your makeup" really is
    [whoose vocal hooks i immediately can recall in the jukebox of mind unlike some vauge unsoulfull well pakaged and hyped indy instrumental hip hop release]

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this thread is the best i read in a while, thank you day.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I don't know, D, those drums sounds are crackin'. I've broke 'em down and programmed them in the past. I'm surprised no mention of "Zimba Ku" or "Spinning Wheel".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Bouncy Lady is pretty fire. Queen of Downs still kills shit. These two aren't nearly as classic as some of the others posted earlier though.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    "Zimba Ku"

Ooooh yes - those are done too (even though I used them not too long ago ).

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

"Zimba Ku"

very good snare!

• Schooly D "PSK"

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Ashley's Roachclip is the ultimate mom break. I will not get anywhere near that shit. I'm happy Ghostface reclaimed Synthetic Substitution from moms around the world when Supreme Clientelle saw its release, but there is nothing and no one who can save Ashley's Roachclip.

Breaks that are dead and done:
    Power of Zeus.
    James Taylor - Knocking Around the Zoo (how tragic too).

Breaks that still have staying power:
    Sons of Champlin, Detroit Emeralds/Ohio Players, Funky Drummer (I know, but it can still be flipped), Theme From the Planets, Lee Michaels

Breaks not getting enough shine:
    New Birth - Keep on Doing it
    Muddy Waters - I'm a Man

Breaks used on everything in 93 and were abandoned since:
    Lonnie Smith - Spinning Wheel

Breaks used on everything in 94 and were abandoned since:
    Johnny Jenkins - Walk on Gilded Splinters

Breaks that will turn any below average producer into a blazing downtempo authority overnight:
    Harry Nilsson - Rainmaker
    Dog Soldier - Thieves and Robbers
    Jackie Jackson - Is it Him or Me
    PYHITH (pick any)

Best Breaks never spoken of and attainable for under $5:
    Bobby Sherman
    Les McCann - Poo Pye McGoochie

Step in the Marina:
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Letters from the Front

Breaks that every true digga digga has, yet never makes a sound:
    2nd Chapter of Acts
    John Travolta
    Mickey Mouse
    Bill Cosby
    Liberace

Oh yeah, I think I saw Johnny The Fox puffing on some medicinal marijuana in a retirement community last time I visited my grandfather in Florida.

Orphan breaks looking for a mom:
    Family of Mann - The Turtle and the Frog
    Glitterhouse - Lost a Friend
    Grassroots - You and Love are the Same

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    brethren is pretty dead to me too. like the song though

brethren is pretty dead to me too. like the song though

That and Upon this Rock got killed to death in the 90s, didn't they?