Drums that need to be retired

Comments

• Doggone, dudes

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    All drums in music should be retired in favor of samples of large groups of people stomping on bleacher seats...on some we (and when we say we, we mean especially Timbo) will rock you steez.

Nelly Furtado 4 Life!!!

I cannot believe how ass-hurt you are over Timbaland.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Doggone, dudes

What, retire "Doggone"? Naaaah.

Damn, when was the last time there was a thread up in here where people just talked about drumloops?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i started a post for anybody who can suggest some replacement breaks. CHECK IT.

• What ever happened to those "Enigma" drums that were used in any music that was supposed to be "sophisticated, yet urban?"

What ever happened to those "Enigma" drums that were used in any music that was supposed to be "sophisticated, yet urban?"

thanks for reminding me. i think i need to puke now

last time i heard "when the levee breaks" sampled was in that interlude music on zoolander. im assuming we're thinking of that same break.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    "Ashley's Roachclip" belongs to Eric B & Rakim alone. That break has been bastardized in the past 20 years.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    All drums in music should be retired in favor of samples of large groups of people stomping on bleacher seats...on some we (and when we say we, we mean especially Timbo) will rock you steez.

Nelly Furtado 4 Life!!!

I cannot believe how ass-hurt you are over Timbaland.

I know, he's so revolutionary/innovative. Where would we be without him?

• No, these weren't the Led Zep drums.
    This was a sequence that was used on every Enigma song.
    And every song that sounded like Enigma from the next five years.
    They are not rough, they are "sophisticated."
    Maybe it's originally a Soul II Soul thing?

I could beatbox it for you, but you can't do that through a keyboard on a message board.

No, these weren't the Led Zep drums.

I could beatbox it for you, but you can't do that through a keyboard on a message board.

i know what you speak of, maybe its just been so long since i had to hear my mom's "pure moods" cd that i just assumed it was led zep. but i always thought that was the break used on "return to innocence"

and i really like the direction this thread is going.

No, these weren't the Led Zep drums.

Weren't the Soul II Soul drums just a blend of "The Jam" (or more accurately, "Pickin' Boogers") and "Dancin' Room Only"?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    "Ashley's Roachclip" belongs to Eric B & Rakim alone. That break has been bastardized in the past 20 years.

Hell to the no...there are plenty of other quality songs that have used that break, including Moses P's Twilight Zone, DJ Jimi's Bounce for the Juvenile, and Z-Ro's Mo City Don.

i never liked that break, but i hate that pattern even more...and that pattern alone as been run into the ground.

• The drum program on "Back to Life" by Soul II Soul is what I'm talking about.
    That same sequence was used on Ako's mom's Pure Moods CD and a million other lite samplers and commercials.
    I think there were tracks on both Jazz Wolf and Jazz Marsh that used it as well.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Hell to the no...there are plenty of other quality songs that have used that break, including Moses P's Twilight Zone, DJ Jimi's Bounce for the Juvenile, and Z-Ro's Mo City Don.

I think Electrode's point may be more to do with that break being played the fuck out courtesy of Milli Vanilli, EMF and sundry other cheeseball records rather than those you named.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I'm not fond of "Ashley's Roachclip" either because it doesn't hit hard. Now, if you want hard breaks, let's talk about "Behind the Walls of Sleep". What!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• what about people continuing to jack the top billin drums? im getting pretty tired of that.

what about people not knowing what the top billin drums are ?

uuuh... i dont know if youre coming at me on some nerd shit but im specifically referring to people actually taking the top billin programmed drums from the record.

no, not at all directed to you, or any body posting here. saying, in general.

The drum program on "Back to Life" by Soul II Soul is what I'm talking about.
    That same sequence was used on Ako's mom's Pure Moods CD and a million other lite samplers and commercials.
    I think there were tracks on both Jazz Wolf and Jazz Marsh that used it as well.

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant, but I always thought that was just those two breaks blended together and thickened up with some 808 or 909 drums. The bells on that SIIS break are definitely from the Harvey Scales break.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What's a Braek?

• The drum program on "Back to Life" by Soul II Soul is what I'm talking about.

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant, but I always thought that was just those two breaks blended together and thickened up with some 808 or 909 drums. The bells on that SIIS break are definitely from the Harvey Scales break.

Regardless of source, the "break" took on a life of its own and completely revolutionized the lite jazz market of the early '90s.
    Kinda similar to the Public Enemy drums that Madonna used on "Justify My Love," cause I heard those things all over LITE-FM in the early '90s.

I'm really talking about the point where a "break" shakes its actual origins and just becomes part of any yahoo music producer's downloadable sound repertoire.

Surely, the Winstons, "Doggone" and the Honeydrippers have reached this stage.

Regardless of source, the "break" took on a life of its own and completely revolutionized the lite jazz market of the early '90s.
    Kinda similar to the Public Enemy drums that Madonna used on "Justify My Love," cause I heard those things all over LITE-FM in the early '90s.

I'm really talking about the point where a "break" shakes its actual origins and just becomes part of any yahoo music producer's downloadable sound repertoire.

"kool is back" is (was?) included with fruityloops.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

In all fairness, Z-Ro just rhymes over the Rakim instrumental.

• No, these weren't the Led Zep drums.

graham central station. however pickin boogers is THAT shit tho.

remember when the if drums were in every buckwild remix, or brethren was used by pete for almost a whole lp, also power of zues/titantic were murdered...or whatnauts were just ran into the ground ? btw i think the whatnauts is on par with skull snaps. how bout the funkadelic/ come in from outta the rain (forgot the exact name) 45...them shits hit real hard.

dee rock where you at ? i see you got the symphony break....that should be up there in the top 10. youngeinstein...seeing that you got 3000 + breaks tell me you got the big red 45/symphony break too ?

soulman ? davidwingate ? yall know this shit back n fourth...please chime in.
    for the record, i never get tired of apache/just begun/substitution/impeach etc..

i am tired of hearing 2 certain drum loops sped up to about 130 bpm, that defines a genre. its like just add those 2 drums to any old pop hit, chop vox up and what do you have..? reminds me of amen brother plague...thank god that genre ate itself.

Ahhhh, I get what you mean now. It must have seemed like I was trying to teach my granny to suck eggs for a minute. Sorry.

I dunno that "Doggone" has reached that stage quite yet, though. I still like hearing that one. I must admit to having a "WTF?" moment when I heard "Synthetic Substitution" on a Hanson record, however.

I dunno that "Doggone" has reached that stage quite yet, though. I still like hearing that one. I must admit to having a "WTF?" moment when I heard "Synthetic Substitution" on a Hanson record, however.

i agree with doggone, i dont think i can get sick of it.

didnt the dust brothers have something to do with that hanson record, or am i way off? i think Cake sampled that break too. that was odd

there was some..like...late 90's hit song that sampled the "papa was too" break (which i love) which i always found strange. seems like some female pop song from the late 90s also sampled impeach the president. maybe im thinking of the same song for both. who knows.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Just last year, I heard breaks being used in waiting-room jazz. It kind of weirded me out.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

That same sequence was used on Ako's mom's Pure Moods CD ...

LOLLRCOASTERZ!*!*!*

I always had a thing for the Long Red drums. If I could hear that beat played out for two hours, I'd be happy.

• If you listen really closely to the drums in the Dawson's Creek theme ("I don't wanna wait..."), those things are pretty hard.
    I heard it in the car one time and was struck by the roominess of those mugs.
    I am not kidding.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

That same sequence was used on Ako's mom's Pure Moods CD ...

LOLLRCOASTERZ!*!*!*

I always had a thing for the Long Red drums. If I could hear that beat played out for two hours, I'd be happy.

True. I'm quite partial to the "Assembly Line" break myself.