Lost Strut

Comments

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    To add regarding Jack's father being alive:

What's really frustrating about this show is that with all these questions that arise such as the one about Jack's father there are always built in contingencies in the plot which explain this kind of shit. The writers can go "Oh yeah, he was dead. The drugs were just fucking him up" and it'll make perfect sense plotwise.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    To add regarding Jack's father being alive:

What's really frustrating about this show is that with all these questions that arise such as the one about Jack's father there are always built in contingencies in the plot which explain this kind of shit. The writers can go "Oh yeah, he was dead. The drugs were just fucking him up" and it'll make perfect sense plotwise.

This is what I'm saying. Pretty try to glean as many 'facts' from the show as possible but the writers can, at ANY TIME, introduce new facts that totally fuck up whatever you were thinking before. I don't even bother.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I cosine about the thing you said about the theories but its also a good thing, yknow? Its fun to have multiple theories on a show. I dont remember sucha show where I left watching it and it was on my mind for the whole week and Id discuss theories about it with my friends on and on and on. It has a nice quality to it like that, in my opinion atleast.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    OK...
    i think the possibilities of the person in the coffin being Locke, Sawyer, or Juliet are highly possible. No one would want to see any of these people, even in death (even Kate for Sawyer if he loves her and leaves her as he has done so many times) Which explains why Jack would be the only one to want to see them, and relive his time on the island....That is, saying this is a true flash-forward scene and Jack is now miserable having no purpose in the "real world".

Has anyone heard of this? Penny Widmore is of the Charles Widmore family who has a pregnancy test product company? Did anyone catch this?
    Are the Widmore's involved in the creation of the island and major contributor to the Dharma Initiative? Are they the ones who keep dropping food onto the island, thinking the science experiements are still going on? Did Penny's dad want to get rid of 'loser' Desmond forever by leading his boat onto the island of electromagtism? Hmmmmm?

Yeah the family def had something to do with the island 1000000 percent. If you notice, the people in the boats and ish tryin to find des and the people on the island are not from Penny. But who says they are not from her dad, eh? If you notice, the chick knew about desmond and needed to find him, I bet you dollars to donuts the dad put em up to this. We can only find out, I just wish the series didnt start in over 200 plus days.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    what if the island's mystical healing powers are so strong that they brought Jack's dad back to life. His body was on the plane and Jack found his coffin in the cave they were using as shelter in season one. Locke gets shot and paralyzed and walks again. Maybe it's not so ridiculous to think Jack's dad is alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Nothing much to add to the theories being thrown around (Though my first thought on the coffin was that it had to be locke). Love the oh snap moment when I realised they'd been flashing forward. Good to see Charlie die though my lust for his death was already satisfied in the spear through the throat episode.

Interesting to see Walt make an appearance as well and Locke's plea to Jack about "You're not supposed to do this" before leaving the group again suggests he's remaining on his own journey.

After thinking this show was dead and buried I am now majorly hooked again.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    But why does he want to go back, is it because he is a suicidal junkie and life was better back on the island, or is it some the world is gonna end if they dont go back thing?

• skattaskatta 48 Posts
    I don't think Sawyer was the guy in the coffin since Kate had someone waiting for her at home (who I think is Sawyer). My guess is that it was Ben or Locke. Charlie's dead, good. Grew tired of his character and flashbacks long ago. I really hoped he would get hit by that arrow a few episodes back. If the russian survived the blast I think the next thing he'll do is find Locke and settle things with him.

What is Walt (or his ghost) still doing in the island? And where's Michael? Damn, too many questions that were left unanswered.

Oh, and those references to Jack's father being alive made me all confused too.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Oh, and those references to Jack's father being alive made me all confused too.

You and everyone else. I'm floating a far fetched theory; wasn't Jack's fathers body on the plane?
    Perhaps the islands "restorative" powers worked the ultimate voodoo on Dr. Sheppard Sr.
    Perhaps we'll be seeing Jack's dad. alive and well on the island?

Watch the re-cap thing before the season finale. It wasnt jacks father, it was the smoke monster. It also took the form of walt, eko's bro, the horse that kate loved and so on. Personally, I think the smoke monster does not fit in the show 1 god damn bit.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    The Dark Towers theory that was written a few episodes into season 2 still holds true. It would suggest all the flashback/future segments are in fact running in parallel as they are actually looks at multiple dimensions. Here's the theory for those who didn't read it. I'm on dial up, so it'll take me 20 minutes to read all 6 pages of this thread. Sorry if someone posted this already, but IMO this theory is still the best and is actually valid now after 2 seasons since it was written;

"lost vs Dark Towers" - the more striking similarities are shared with
    themes, concepts and characters from the Dark Tower books, which are
    regarded by King as his magnum opus. Set in Mid-World, essentially a
    parallel world to our own , The Dark Tower
    series follows the adventures of a man named Roland, the last of a
    knightly class known as "Gunslingers", and his quest for a mysterious
    "tower" at which all "worlds" meet. It is a sort of post-apocolyptic
    place in which, to quote the mantra from the novels, "the world has
    moved on", where there are remnants all around of a highly advanced
    past still in the process of dying. It can be said that Lost's island
    has "moved on" as well with all that remains of the Dharma Initiative
    being hollowed out bunkers and dying technology. Roland holds a
    strong belief in what he calls "KA", which dictates that everything
    happens for a reason, similar to Locke's belief in fate, and the
    significance of the button and hatch, and is haunte and forever
    affected by his storied and tragic past (much like ALL the survivors
    of Lost's Flight 815). Roland eventually learns that in order to
    succeed in his quest for the Dark Tower, he must draw three people
    from what appears ito be our New York City. On the shore of Mid-Worlds
    Western Sea, Roland successfully draws three people to his world;
    Eddie Dean, a smart-alecky drug addict (think Charlie of Lost); Odetta
    Holmes, a wheelchair bound multiple-personality; and Jake, a young boy
    with special powers and a close father and son bond with Roland (think
    Lost's Walt). Roland trains all three to be Gunslingers, in the
    process helping Eddie Dean overcome his addiction, guiding Odetta
    through melding her multiple personalities - the refined Odetta Holmes
    and the harsh Detta Walker - into a composite of the two named
    Susannah, and grooms and assists Jake in developing his special
    supernatural abilities.

Among these characters there are many parallels with those from Lost.
    Some of the more obvious of these similarities are found between Kings
    Dark Tower character Susannah. For example, Susannah is bound to a
    wheel chair, having lost her legs after getting pushed in front of a
    subway train, but is able to walk in some parallel worlds. This is
    strikingly similar to Locke from Lost, as he was paralyzed from the
    waist down until waking up after Flight 815's crash having amazingly
    been cured. In fact, Susannah can at times be compared to almost any
    of the Lost charactersThe other notable character similarities lie
    between the Dark Tower character of Jake a young boy with supernatural
    abilities know as the touch and the character of Walt from Lost, who
    also seems to be gifted with his own set of supernatural abilities yet
    to be explained. Jake adopts and develops a strong bond with a
    Mid-World animal called a Billy Bumbler, while Walt adopted his dog
    Vincent on the island. But the most important parallel between the
    characters Jake and Walt has to do with their relationships to their
    adult father figures. Roland, the hero of the Dark Tower, while not
    Jakes biological father, takes on this role for Jake, but their
    relationship is strained and forever scarred by Roland's sacrificing
    Jake to what are known as the Slow Mutants. However, Roland becomes
    determined to find and reunite himself with Jake, and "draws" him back
    as mentioned earlier. Walt, on the other hand, is let go by his father
    Michael through an act of love, but they are reunited after the death
    of Walt's mother. On the island, Michael's fervent quest to escape
    from the island (similar to Roland's quest for the Dark Tower) results
    in Walt being kidnapped by the Others. Michael then embarks on a
    determined effort to rescue Walt, similar to Roland recovering Jake.
    Interestingly, while Walt and Michael struggle to get along, Locke
    forms a bond with Walt, and helps him tap into his special powers in
    the same manner Roland helps develop Jakes abilities. So there are
    dual father figures for Walt, which as a whole resemble the Roland
    character. These examples, not surprisingly, are just the proverbial
    tip of the iceberg. But, what is most intriguing for those who are
    both Stephen King and Lost fans, is the growing impression that King
    himself may be involved in the shows production. However, it is
    probably more likely that the Lost producers are simply huge King
    fans. King has editorialized about the show in his Entertainment
    Weekly column as if he is simply another viewer; although this could
    just be part of the rouse. In any case, the most interesting among
    Kings commentary is his advice to Lost's creators to end the show at
    the appropriate time. In his own words; "please, guys don't beat this
    sweet cow to death with years of ponderous flashback padding. End it
    any way you want, but when it's time for closure, provide it. Don't
    just keep on wagon-training."

Also....

"Nozz-a-la soda" -> The logo on the side of Henry Gale's balloon.
    It's the same soda used in "Dark Towers".

man! man!!!!!!! Game over. Theory of the fuckin centurion. I agree, I really do. It makes sense. I cant beleive I never saw that considerin I read almost all the dark tower books which are . Woah man, thanks for that! Your brilliant dewd.

Moss,

Apart from the parallels in characters, what would this mean in terms of explaining Lost?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Moss,

Apart from the parallels in characters, what would this mean in terms of explaining Lost?

For me (which I could be 100000% wrong or mislead) to key is the fact these books are based on dimension travel, and everyone looking for this void. I don't think LOST is a duplicate of these books page by page, but maybe somewhat based on thier premise. If you consider the dimension theory to be accurate, then it could explain many things. I won't get into them all, but it for example could explain how or why Desmond can see the future in that he can run between dimensions, or somehow see them. It would explain why the female parachuter said flight 815 crashed and they found dead people/bodies. It would explain why in season 1 ABC had that website for Oceanic which stated the last flight EVER was 815, yet in the season 3 they are still flying via golden wings. These are all alternate dimensions. In the flashbacks "everyone is connected", but in theory if they "meet" in one dimension (on the island), they can be meeting at the same time in other dimensions. Of course, the writers could just be flopping, but even in the 1 hour re-cap they had before the finale the producer said "people think this is purgatory, but it isn't...they are somewhere in the time/space continium". The character parallels are pretty crazy, but more so the idea they are all looking for this dimension and have alternate abilities in these worlds has been thinking this isn't too far off. Of course, this could all be wrong as well

• damagedamage 118 Posts
    dark towers theory isnt bad. they definately saved the shit out of the show with the last few episodes.
    sayid neck snap is rediculous...favorite character by far

what i really am intrigued about is the 4 toed statue!!!!!

Moss,

Exactly what I was thinking...
    The parallel worlds thing seems like a cop out to me.
    Not as bad as the "what if it's all somebodies dream theory", but pretty close.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts

Agreed. Wonder if this "temple" they mentioned is related...

What I am moar interested in is WHO THE FUCK IS THE MAN FROM TALAHASEE AND WHERE IS HE?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

What statue?

b/w

Jack is blinded by the rage.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    The correlation between lost and ark towers seems very thinly put together. Decent literary sense would also allow you to do that with Narcissus and Goldmund or a host of other books. Although the soda logo that you mentioned is intriguing. I'm quicker to chalk that up to a Maguffin (sp?) though.

The correlation between lost and ark towers seems very thinly put together. Decent literary sense would also allow you to do that with Narcissus and Goldmund or a host of other books. Although the soda logo that you mentioned is intriguing. I'm quicker to chalk that up to a Maguffin (sp?) though.

Can be spelled MacGuffin, McGuffin or Maguffin. Not sure the application of the term is accurate here. A MacGuffin is more of a narrative device designed to push the story forward - the case in "Ronin" being an archetype example. In "Lost," it seemed like The Hatch was a MacGuffin except that it turned out to be important in and of itself.

In any case, my problem with the parallel universe theory is that the show has made a very clear attempt to suggest that all these characters are interconnected for a reason and we see them interacting with one another all in the SAME universe, prior to the crash. So, for example, Jack and Desmond ran into one another at the stadium and remembered each other on the Island.

In any case, as someone just indicated, parallel universes is a bit of a cop out from having to resolve threads.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    at this point the silliest thing about lost is that the elapsed time from crash landing to present season finale is supposedly only 3 months or something.

walt looks like his voice changed & he started shaving since we last saw him!

What I am moar interested in is WHO THE FUCK IS THE MAN FROM TALAHASEE AND WHERE IS HE?

TMfT is Locke's biological father and the con man who destroyed Sawyer's family. Dude is fucking toast.

What statue?

The statue was a very large 4-toed foot that was seen I believe at the end of season two/beginning of season three when Sayid, Jin and Sun were taking a boat around the island trying to find the recently kidnapped Jack, Sawyer, Kate and Hugo (altho Hugo was set free to send a message back).

It actually looks like the remnants of a much larger statue......

at this point the silliest thing about lost is that the elapsed time from crash landing to present season finale is supposedly only 3 months or something.

walt looks like his voice changed & he started shaving since we last saw him!

Yeah you're have to suspend disbelief on that one, a young character like that is gonna grow.
    Maybe they should have fed him mass coffee and restrained him to stunt his growth.

seriously? But they said "bring him" like before. When did they say this? What the fuck is talahasee?

where did you find this out?

What the fuck is talahasee?

It's a town in Florida.
    Where the hell are you from supertoaster?

im from Torontoe