Producer Strut : round 2

BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
We'll do it in 2007... Let's say we make a for now, ok?Young-Holt Unlimited - Bumpin' On Young Street.mp3 Dexter Wansel feat Terri Wells - The Sweetest Pain.mp3 Happy holidays

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Ok, now we're in 2007, who's down for a second round?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    im down. I haven't made anything in a little bit cause of all the running around with work and holidays. This should put some fire under my ass.

• I'm in.

• I missed the last one, how does this work?

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    i'll give it a shot too. just using these 2 songs?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    We choose a sample and we have 3/4 days to make a beat with it.
    You can add drums, bass or whatever you want... but for this second round I'd like that we all take the same break, and maybe the bass too. It will be interesting to hear what is everyone's sound.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    i'll give it a shot too. just using these 2 songs?

No no, it was just an idea.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Also for this second round I'd love to get A-ko, Day, ThesOne, Sixtoo... involved.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Count me in... although the results may vary!

• i'm pretty littledude on the beats compared to a lot of people here, but i would like to try. might help me become motivated to make more than one track a month. let us know if/when it's gonna jump off.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    i'm pretty littledude on the beats compared to a lot of people here, but i would like to try. might help me become motivated to make more than one track a month. let us know if/when it's gonna jump off.

Check this thread.

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post768313

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    That loop was stuck in my head as soon as I heard it. I think Ian Pooley made a mix of it as well.

Ahhh, memories.

• i wanna play...

are the Dexter and YHolt the nominated samples or are we still up in the air?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

are the Dexter and YoungHolt the nominated samples?

No.

For the moment we're only 8, we need more Strutters

• I am down to get in on this round.

let me know the deal.

• are the Dexter and YoungHolt the nominated samples?

No.

For the moment we're only 8, we need more Strutters

I'm in it. any reason why not those tracks?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I'm just learning how to produce and need some motivation so I'm in for last place

• I think I might be game for this round depending if I have time for it, I like the tracks that have been posted so far...we might get some good beats out of them.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I'm in it. any reason why not those tracks?

No, no reason.
    If you all think these tracks are good, no probs, but I can dig for some more tomorrow and then we choose one, dunno.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I'm just learning how to produce and need some motivation so I'm in for last place

A Ferrari can't get the last place!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i'm in. i never participated in the beat off.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Bapt (and all),

I'd jump in the fray if I didn't have to go out of town on Saturday. If it's still going on next week, I'll put a lil' sumptin' together.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    i'm in. i never participated in the beat off.

Wassup, T*m? What the deal??? Are you still in NY? If so, I'll be in your area in early May.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Woohoo! This second round is going to be ill!

• i'm pretty littledude on the beats compared to a lot of people here, but i would like to try. might help me become motivated to make more than one track a month. let us know if/when it's gonna jump off.

I consider myself the same but I'm down.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    you know i'll be in...y'all need me in your life.

BUT please do not choose some "nice" samples...what i mean is raise up the interest of this little contest by challenging our skills and use a sample we wouldn't work on a daily basis. I'm saying that because you know me Bapt, i peddle music since 1998, so i can't really find nothing exiting unless it's some "hard to chop/loop" sample. Its more fun. That's why i liked the Herb Alpert contest so much back then...I would never flip Herb in real life. Or maybe, but not the songs we had to choose from. So try to keep it like that. Weird breaks. Oh snap, what's a break alreaydy?

you know i'll be in...y'all need me in your life.

BUT please do not choose some "nice" samples...what i mean is raise up the interest of this little contest by challenging our skills and use a sample we wouldn't work on a daily basis. I'm saying that because you know me Bapt, i peddle music since 1998, so i can't really find nothing exiting unless it's some "hard to chop/loop" sample. Its more fun. That's why i liked the Herb Alpert contest so much back then...I would never flip Herb in real life. Or maybe, but not the songs we had to choose from. So try to keep it like that. Weird breaks. Oh snap, what's a break alreaydy?

Good points, Izm. Yeah, it's MUCH more interesting when we're required to use some wack-ass bullshit (like the "Whipped Cream" LP) to make a funky beat. It definitely raises the stakes in terms of creativity and ingenuity required. I'll be honest, I tend to use less-obviously-funky samples to make a lot of my beats, so I might have an unfair advantage. How about the "Bologna and Cognac" LP by Doug and the Slugs?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    oh and this time, i would say that we can add an accapella...even re-structure an existing song. The only rule that i wish we ALL apply is to record the result RAW, straight from the machines y'all are using. Assuming that some people have access to big studios and such (which is the case for me), it's not really fair for little dudes.
    So to keep things on a same level, we all NEED the record the track without mixing it. If you're scared to do that (whoever that is), then you're not a real beatmaker anyway...LOL.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    For me and a lot of people I work with, especially in hip hop production, the mix is just a part of the composition, not really a separate thing. If someone hears a beat and says, "Wow, that kick doesn't sound that hot." then the beat must not have been that great to begin with. A lot of Madlib/Quas records sound like shit, but they still are awesome, because he's a great producer so I don't really even notice the sonic shortcomings unless I'm looking for them.

My 2 cents.

I'm in to participate,

Mike

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Ok, I don't agree with everything but lets continue the debate.