Producer Strut : round 2

124»

Comments

• Did this one tonight...

http://www.alisterjohnson.com/mp3/winnah.mp3

more of a jam session going on since I switch up the sample chops a bit, but it was fun anyhow

used a Mac G5 with Logic Pro to put it all together + Recycle to chop dem samples.
    couple different breaks / some heartbeat sounds for kicks and a couple of 808 claps in there too

i'll critique the other joints tomorrow, i'm too tired right now

peace

ooooooooh. flavor right there.

very jazzy with a siik beat!
    thanks for this

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Here is mine :

• I'm hearing good sounds all around.

Here's my entry:
    http://www.bywayof.net/audio/mp3/Beats/FreshDelivery.mp3

tried a few different ideas, and put em all together...
    If I'd had more time the vocoder might've come out. uh oh.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    I'm hearing good sounds all around.

Here's my entry:

Captain, "Fresh Delivery" is hot! You get my vote, if we're doing the voting thing. I like that stuttered effect around 1:00 and 2:03... how did you do that? Kudos on your effort.

• I'm hearing good sounds all around.

Here's my entry:

Captain, "Fresh Delivery" is hot! You get my vote, if we're doing the voting thing. I like that stuttered effect around 1:00 and 2:03... how did you do that? Kudos on your effort.

thanks dood. stutter shit is just from peeling back the sample lengths and movin em around a bit.

after listening to em all, my top picks are:

-catalist - dope concept. the song kinda has a life of it's own. slowly builds, keeps switching up, and then fades away nicely. proper chopping.

-mallard - heavy dirty hip hop ish. still trying to figure out what part of the song you used for the main loop. definitely wish it was longer.

-IZM - feel good triumphant head bopper. like the manu woven in too.

props all around though. i like this excercise.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Hey Beatdawgs,

Here is my producer 'Strut entry for Round 2, "Shake it Up", the first joint on my Soundclick site Big Stacks's Soundclick site The beat consists of (1) the agreed upon main sample source (from which I took various pieces and bits), (2) a "freaked" breakbeat" ("I'm Gonna Love You"-Z.Z. Hill), (3) tambourine (to give that chuchy soul), and (4) vocals from a kid record ("Rhymthmic Parachute Play" from Kimbo Educational Activities). No quantizing, I left it raw and sloppy fo ya. Enjoy!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Here is mine :

Wooh ooh! Crazy shit, who made that one... oops, me! LOL

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Yup Captain, thanks to everyone, it was a good experience even if some dudes are missing though.
    We have 9 good beats,

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    hey , good effort from everyone this time around!

a short breakdown

butterybisquits - this one is nice man , some funky b-boy shit , feelin that bassline

IZM - nice man , the manu horns bring it to that next level , good party joint!

chequeDaedit - this one is cool , but doesn't do too much for me

mallard - oh shit.... this is some illness right here , those drums are hard as fuck and the swing is just right . great use of chops and filtering...probably my fav

oldnewsoul - would like to hear the drums a bit louder , have em knock a bit more , there is one guitar chop that is out of tune too , but the feel is still nice

lowendtheory - i like the way the marvin track mixes with the winners sample, it sounds nice together

stacks - dope man , keeping raw and funky . i dig

captain planet - really nice one , the drums have a good swing to em and the chopping is tasteful

bapt - the way you chopped everything is very on point , and that little rhodes roll you have at the end of every 8 bars is hot too. only thing i would say is the drums have literally no frequencies from around 200 hz and below. no umph at all.... if you made those fat , this would probably get my pick

dats it! i tried to be as honest as possible here

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Here is mine :

Wooh ooh! Crazy shit, who made that one... oops, me! LOL

DOPE!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    hey , good effort from everyone this time around!

a short breakdown

butterybisquits - this one is nice man , some funky b-boy shit , feelin that bassline

IZM - nice man , the manu horns bring it to that next level , good party joint!

chequeDaedit - this one is cool , but doesn't do too much for me

mallard - oh shit.... this is some illness right here , those drums are hard as fuck and the swing is just right . great use of chops and filtering...probably my fav

oldnewsoul - would like to hear the drums a bit louder , have em knock a bit more , there is one guitar chop that is out of tune too , but the feel is still nice

lowendtheory - i like the way the marvin track mixes with the winners sample, it sounds nice together

stacks - dope man , keeping raw and funky . i dig

captain planet - really nice one , the drums have a good swing to em and the chopping is tasteful

bapt - the way you chopped everything is very on point , and that little rhodes roll you have at the end of every 8 bars is hot too. only thing i would say is the drums have literally no frequencies from around 200 hz and below. no umph at all.... if you made those fat , this would probably get my pick

dats it! i tried to be as honest as possible here

Hey Beatdawgs,

Catalist's sentiments pretty much captured my thoughts, but I couldn't articulated them. I really liked yours Catalist as well. Mallard's was probably my fav as well since I like that boom-bap type shit, but just too short. They all were done well, though. There is so much talent on the 'Strut. You guys should do a full-length LP. Raj, is there a way to make this happen? I think it could work with the right demographic target.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• There is so much talent on the 'Strut

no doubt. was really impressed by all ya'll. big ups all around.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

bapt, only thing i would say is the drums have literally no frequencies from around 200 hz and below.

Yeah, I was not in the Bapt'cave when I did this one.
    The mix is very hard to listen to!!!! I agree.
    I'll make it sound better, later.

Thanks again to all the Strutters who have participated.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    i like the "cave" concept...let's do one in february. Who's next to pick up a gem??

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    You?

• hey , good effort from everyone this time around!

l

So would I. That guitar piece was a replacement sound, I'll prollyt lose it.

Good workout.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    ok...